PDA

View Full Version : Selfless Serena Sets Great Example; Champions World Poverty

dreamgoddess099
Oct 31st, 2006, 04:39 AM
Tennis star Serena Williams calls on next generation of leaders to help overcome poverty

The Associated Press

Published: October 30, 2006
UNITED NATIONS U.S. tennis star Serena Williams called on the next generation of leaders to take immediate action against poverty and disease and said she will travel to Africa to encourage people to overcome hardship.

Williams joined Senegal's President Abdoulaye Wade and others at a U.N. press conference Monday to promote the first U.N. Global Youth Leadership Summit, which commenced Sunday and brings together two representatives from each of the 192 member states — a man and a woman between the ages of 18 and 30 — to discuss helping the organization achieve its Millennium Development Goals.

The goals including cutting extreme poverty by half, ensuring that all people have access to clean water and sanitation, and universal primary education — all by 2015.

Williams, 25, who switched her edgy on-court couture for a more diplomatic white blouse and gray blazer, said that, as a member of the next generation of leaders, it was important for her to speak in support of the summit and for youth participation in world issues.

"Now is the time to realize that that we're here, this is our generation, and we can make a statement and we can fight different diseases and we can fight poverty and we beat this," she said.

Williams said she hoped to promote development and peace through sport, which enabled her to rise out of her own disadvantaged circumstances as a young girl.

She described the Compton, California, neighborhood she grew up in as "very, very poor," and said that tennis "enabled me to open so many different doors."

"I would never forget where I come from and I would always want to give back and let people know that it's OK to grow up one way and it's OK to be that way," said Williams, who plans to continue to promote her message in upcoming travels to Senegal and Ghana.

She also said that she chose to study French in school, because "my dream was always to go to Africa."

Williams, who leaves for Africa later this week, said that she especially looks forward to speaking with women and children in Africa in order to impart "a little knowledge and a little self-esteem — it can go miles and miles and miles."

Wade introduced the youngest minister of Senegal to be appointed and said that he has been a longtime advocate of involving the ideas and energy of young people in the government.

The 80-year-old leader became animated when questioned about his own age and his ability to lead the country.

"There is a French saying that says that, 'one has the age of his arteries, of his veins.' If you don't believe me, I dare you to take a run with me outside," Wade said to the reporter through a translator.

On Sunday, Secretary-General Kofi Annan told the summit's youth delegates, who gathered in the U.N.'s General Assembly Hall, that the organization was not on track to reach key health, education and environmental objectives by 2015, and said that their help was needed.

"We need to remind governments of the pledges they have made to translate the Millennium Development Goals into reality," Annan said. The Global Youth Leadership Summit ends Tuesday.

UNITED NATIONS U.S. tennis star Serena Williams called on the next generation of leaders to take immediate action against poverty and disease and said she will travel to Africa to encourage people to overcome hardship.

Williams joined Senegal's President Abdoulaye Wade and others at a U.N. press conference Monday to promote the first U.N. Global Youth Leadership Summit, which commenced Sunday and brings together two representatives from each of the 192 member states — a man and a woman between the ages of 18 and 30 — to discuss helping the organization achieve its Millennium Development Goals.

The goals including cutting extreme poverty by half, ensuring that all people have access to clean water and sanitation, and universal primary education — all by 2015.

Williams, 25, who switched her edgy on-court couture for a more diplomatic white blouse and gray blazer, said that, as a member of the next generation of leaders, it was important for her to speak in support of the summit and for youth participation in world issues.

"Now is the time to realize that that we're here, this is our generation, and we can make a statement and we can fight different diseases and we can fight poverty and we beat this," she said.

Williams said she hoped to promote development and peace through sport, which enabled her to rise out of her own disadvantaged circumstances as a young girl.

She described the Compton, California, neighborhood she grew up in as "very, very poor," and said that tennis "enabled me to open so many different doors."

"I would never forget where I come from and I would always want to give back and let people know that it's OK to grow up one way and it's OK to be that way," said Williams, who plans to continue to promote her message in upcoming travels to Senegal and Ghana.

She also said that she chose to study French in school, because "my dream was always to go to Africa."

Williams, who leaves for Africa later this week, said that she especially looks forward to speaking with women and children in Africa in order to impart "a little knowledge and a little self-esteem — it can go miles and miles and miles."

Wade introduced the youngest minister of Senegal to be appointed and said that he has been a longtime advocate of involving the ideas and energy of young people in the government.

The 80-year-old leader became animated when questioned about his own age and his ability to lead the country.

"There is a French saying that says that, 'one has the age of his arteries, of his veins.' If you don't believe me, I dare you to take a run with me outside," Wade said to the reporter through a translator.

On Sunday, Secretary-General Kofi Annan told the summit's youth delegates, who gathered in the U.N.'s General Assembly Hall, that the organization was not on track to reach key health, education and environmental objectives by 2015, and said that their help was needed.

"We need to remind governments of the pledges they have made to translate the Millennium Development Goals into reality," Annan said. The Global Youth Leadership Summit ends Tuesday.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/10/31/news/UN_GEN_UN_Youth_Summit.php
__________________________________________________ ______

She's setting a fantastic example of how a player should be known for more than just their championships in tennis, they should also be known for whether they have helped others.

RunDown
Oct 31st, 2006, 05:21 AM
definitely admirable :yeah:

:lol: @ the second quote in your signature.

StarDuvallGrant
Oct 31st, 2006, 05:23 AM
Serena :clap2:

darrinbaker00
Oct 31st, 2006, 05:30 AM
I don't doubt Serena's sincerity, but it just rubs me the wrong way when American celebrities feel the need to go overseas to fight poverty and disease. We still have poor people and sick people here in America, don't we?

Lulu.
Oct 31st, 2006, 05:33 AM
How nice of Serena :)

vogus
Oct 31st, 2006, 05:41 AM
i think it's a good step by Serena to improve her image, because she is so often perceived as a selfish, shallow, narcissistic, materialistic diva. It's admirable she's doing this but she's got a very long way to go before she earns the rights to the adjective "selfless".

pav
Oct 31st, 2006, 05:42 AM
I've heard her called a lot of things over the last few years, but "Selfless Serena" takes the bloody cake! All this hot air about feeding the world is a load of pretentious codswallop.

We have already got big mouth Geldoph and his shortass buddy Bono(Who does a bit more than Bob)

Most of the bloody world could feed themselves if they weren't preoccupied with religion and fighting with each other

vogus
Oct 31st, 2006, 05:47 AM
I've heard her called a lot of things over the last few years, but "Selfless Serena" takes the bloody cake! All this hot air about feeding the world is a load of pretentious codswallop.

"celebrity causes" are usually a lot more about the celebrity than they are about the cause. I tend to think Bono has been an exception, though.

StarDuvallGrant
Oct 31st, 2006, 05:49 AM
It's good she realizes she's not just a citizen of the US but one of the world. Serena has been involved with charities and such in America so all this unnecessary negativity is a non issue.

mykarma
Oct 31st, 2006, 06:00 AM
i think it's a good step by Serena to improve her image, because she is so often perceived as a selfish, shallow, narcissistic, materialistic diva. It's admirable she's doing this but she's got a very long way to go before she earns the rights to the adjective "selfless".
Don't worry, no matter how much she does, there will still be people that will choose to ignore the good she does. :wavey:

Wannabeknowitall
Oct 31st, 2006, 06:03 AM
Serena has always been a great example.
She can do so much through tennis and I hope this is just a start.

mykarma
Oct 31st, 2006, 06:03 AM
It's good she realizes she's not just a citizen of the US but one of the world. Serena has been involved with charities and such in America so all this unnecessary negativity is a non issue.
Tried to give you a good rep but, "you have to spread reps around etc."
:worship::worship::worship:

Wannabeknowitall
Oct 31st, 2006, 06:05 AM

I wonder where this standard was in the Angelina Jolie thread.
Double standards rears it's face from the usual suspects. :wavey:

darrinbaker00
Oct 31st, 2006, 06:18 AM
We all know about the OWL Foundation, but that's run by her mom. We all know about Ronald McDonald House Charities, but one can argue that she's being paid for that. What other charities are Serena involved with? Like I said earlier, I don't doubt Serena's sincerity, but I can see why others do; long after the photo-ops and benefit concerts are over, the problems still persist.

dreamgoddess099
Oct 31st, 2006, 06:18 AM

:worship: I know right, the first ones to question motives behind a person's charity are usually the ones who do the least amount of it themselves. If they didn't feel so guilty about their own lack of charity work they wouldn't feel the need to cast negative shadows on others. The point is to give and devote time to others in need because they need it now, let God worry about motives and reasons behind it later once the problem is taken care of. You don't question a persons motives if they're pulling you out of a burning car until after they've pulled you out, and by then you shouldn't care and just be thankful.

dreamgoddess099
Oct 31st, 2006, 06:24 AM
:lol: @ the second quote in your signature.

Oh yeah, a few posters here somehow have it in their mind's that because of Serena's toned body she is violent. It's hard to be violent when you've never even been in a fight.:lol:

dreamgoddess099
Oct 31st, 2006, 06:55 AM
i think it's a good step by Serena to improve her image, because she is so often perceived as a selfish, shallow, narcissistic, materialistic diva.
I don't know anybody that thinks of her that way.:confused: Sure she enjoys all the opportunities her hard work has afforded her as she should, but she's never come off to me as someone that doesn't care about others.

It's admirable she's doing this but she's got a very long way to go before she earns the rights to the adjective "selfless".
That adjective can be applied to anyone when they do a selfless act. Besides, you can't survive without thinking of yourself sometimes, so in that case no one is truly selfless at all times.

Kunal
Oct 31st, 2006, 07:24 AM
good stuff

Reuchlin
Oct 31st, 2006, 07:55 AM
Oh yeah, a few posters here somehow have it in their mind's that because of Serena's toned body she is violent. It's hard to be violent when you've never even been in a fight.:lol:

wow, I never read that quote before. Realy really funny: :worship: :worship: :worship: Serena:drool: :drool: :drool:

MrSerenaWilliams
Oct 31st, 2006, 07:59 AM
:worship: :sad: Serena you are an inspiration

Williams Rulez
Oct 31st, 2006, 09:26 AM
:worship: serena...

Craigy
Oct 31st, 2006, 11:13 AM
Serena :rocker2:

olivia100
Oct 31st, 2006, 12:23 PM
:worship: :sad: Serena you are an inspiration

She most certainly is. Keep up the good work Ree.

olivia100
Oct 31st, 2006, 12:30 PM
I wonder if Ree was nervous speaking at such a big conference with such influential people.

hotandspicey
Oct 31st, 2006, 01:02 PM
It's just so sad, that with some people :rolleyes: it's damn if Serena does, and damn if she don't! This is a serious world issue that Rena is involved in and is trying to take a step as one who can make a difference. Darrin and vogus need to get those artificial facts out of their heads and start recognizing :rolleyes:..give props where its due, for once. Sure there is poverty and disease in the US, but we are at a greater advantage for "recovery" than those in some African countries. kudos to Rena for being selfless and reaching out in whatever way she can. A young, gifted and smart young woman doing what most of us can only dream of! Go Rena!! Keep the haters at war with themselves while you make peace. :worship: :worship: :worship:

-GenEz.Williams
Oct 31st, 2006, 01:18 PM
serena has a good heart..
she will now flight to africa..thats cool..

olivia100
Oct 31st, 2006, 01:35 PM
It's just so sad, that with some people :rolleyes: it's damn if Serena does, and damn if she don't! This is a serious world issue that Rena is involved in and is trying to take a step as one who can make a difference. Darrin and vogus need to get those artificial facts out of their heads and start recognizing :rolleyes:..give props where its due, for once. Sure there is poverty and disease in the US, but we are at a greater advantage for "recovery" than those in some African countries. kudos to Rena for being selfless and reaching out in whatever way she can. A young, gifted and smart young woman doing what most of us can only dream of! Go Rena!! Keep the haters at war with themselves while you make peace. :worship: :worship: :worship:

So true. The young woman is damn if she does and damn if she does't. It just seems as though everything she does good bad or indifferent is picked to pieces to no end. When she plays tennis she's criticized, and when she doesn't play and is doing something worth while to help others she's also criticized. All I can say to Serena, is to go on with your life and do what makes you happy.

vutt
Oct 31st, 2006, 01:42 PM
i think it's a good step by Serena to improve her image...

Well, well! Why someone want to improve her image in first place? Hm...

olivia100
Oct 31st, 2006, 01:49 PM
Why would she have to improve her image? She aint no murder, or drug addict, she is and has always been a respectful young woman. What the hell are you talking about Serena improving her image. Please enlighten us. Do you know something that we don't know.

Barbarela
Oct 31st, 2006, 02:04 PM

We have already got big mouth Geldoph and his shortass buddy Bono(Who does a bit more than Bob)

Most of the bloody world could feed themselves if they weren't preoccupied with religion and fighting with each other

I tend to agree with you! For the first time!:lol:

Paneru
Oct 31st, 2006, 02:22 PM
I don't doubt Serena's sincerity, but it just rubs me the wrong way when American celebrities feel the need to go overseas to fight poverty and disease. We still have poor people and sick people here in America, don't we?

Maybe for the fact that the plight in Africa
on the whole leave them with even less of a
chance than in the US.

Noone really seems to give a damn about Africa
on the global conciousness enough to actually
do something so I applaud every celeb doing
what they can because governements aren't
doing much of anything!

Good on you Rena! :cool:

And leave to your self-righteous ass
to continually try and make negatives
out of positives!

SerenaSlam
Oct 31st, 2006, 02:48 PM
that we do, but when you know where you "come from" you can't but help and go over to see what you can do.

the flip side to that is, your question more so seems like there is nothing being done here in america. when to be honest it is 10 time easier to get something a scholarship program what not accomplished over here then it does over seas. so its nice to see everyone still going over and trying to lend a hand.

we do have our problems, but when you go over there ours are obsolete compared to theirs.

jazzfuzion
Oct 31st, 2006, 02:52 PM
the title of the thread is pretentiously noble.its equivalent to Au-Naturel Joan Rivers champions the fight against plastic surgery.

IAM#1
Oct 31st, 2006, 02:53 PM
Yeah Darrin,

We do have poor people and others in America but obviously the current majority and president thinks everything is okay here in america. so on that preset notion why not go overseas! VOTE GUYS.. Nov 7th is SO IMPORTANT!!!!

tennnisfannn
Oct 31st, 2006, 02:54 PM

Your world view must surely be quite narrow, try justifying this:
Nike who sponsors the likes of serena, maria, federer, tiger etc pays a thai worker who produces its' products anything from 20 cents to a 1.50 a day and then turn around and pay Tiger woods $55 000 a day. a thai worker would need to work 10 to 12 hours for 38 years just to make what tiger makes in a day. Tiger is worth 14000 thai workers a day. I have used tiger coz he is the highest paid athlete.
Injustice doesn't even begin to descibe the situation, it is a tough world we live in and if serena lends her voice to draw attention to where there is need, kudos to her.

SerenaSlam
Oct 31st, 2006, 03:00 PM
Nike who sponsors the likes of serena, maria, federer, tiger etc pays a thai worker who produces its' products anything from 20 cents to a 1.50 a day and then turn around and pay Tiger woods $55 000 a day. a thai worker would need to work 10 to 12 hours for 38 years just to make what tiger makes in a day. Tiger is worth 14000 thai workers a day. I have used tiger coz he is the highest paid athlete.
Injustice doesn't even begin to descibe the situation, it is a tough world we live in and if serena lends her voice to draw attention to where there is need, kudos to her.
im gon say this and shut up...if it wasn't for my "religion" i would't be able to "feed myself" let alone worry about the "others" overseas!

Marcell
Oct 31st, 2006, 03:19 PM
It's interesting how people are always willing to criticize people for doing something when they themselves are not doing anything to improve the lives of others. I had the pleasure of listening to the entire hour of the conference and was very proud of Serena for her effort in trying to lend her name for this worthy cause. As a matter of fact, this was not something that was done at the last minute. It was mentioned that Serena and her family,Oracene in particular have been following development at the UN concerning issues in Africa. Isha was there and was recognized for being the one that was instrumental in putting things together.

rjd1111
Oct 31st, 2006, 03:22 PM
We all know about the OWL Foundation, but that's run by her mom. We all know about Ronald McDonald House Charities, but one can argue that she's being paid for that. What other charities are Serena involved with? Like I said earlier, I don't doubt Serena's sincerity, but I can see why others do; long after the photo-ops and benefit concerts are over, the problems still persist.

Serena Williams

• Named 2004 Family Circle/Prudential Financial ‘Player Who Makes a Difference’, given annually to a female pro tennis player who has made outstanding contributions of both time and energy to worthy causes.
• Named by Sports Illustrated as third most influential minority in Sports (behind Robert Johnson and Tiger Woods); ad for Breast Cancer Awareness Campaign is featured in October 2003 issues of Vogue, Essence, Lucky and Self
honored as 2003 Laureus World Sportswoman of the Year (award statuette presented by Venus), received 2003 Celebrity Role Model Award from Avon Foundation for her charitable work in breast cancer awareness;

Ebony (May 2003), in Vogue photo spread (April 2003); at the 34th NAACP Image Awards (in 2003), received President’s Award with Venus; 2003 recipient of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Los Angeles and Inland

• Donated $10,000 to the Clarendon (South Carolina) School District 1, where tennis legend Althea Gibson was born: $8,000 for computer laptops and $2,000 for the Serena Williams Scholarship.

Involved with the Keep a Child Alive, a charitable organization committed
to assisting HIV patients in Africa along with Alicia Keys

.Today, many Los Angeles inner-city high school tennis players are being passed over for tennis scholarships because they do not have the training or rankings.
The Venus and Serena Williams Tutorial/Tennis Academy of Los Angeles addresses this problem by providing an atmosphere where all students can thrive, interact, and develop by offering not only tennis lessons, but also tutoring, seminars for the PSAT and SAT tests, seminars on how to complete college applications, mentoring, and guest speakers that discuss different career possibilities.

Nicolás89
Oct 31st, 2006, 03:45 PM
great serena :worship: is good to see celebrities with a kind heart:kiss:

i hope that serena come to latinamerica once we have poor and ill people too:sad:

RunDown
Oct 31st, 2006, 04:17 PM
Serena Williams

• Named 2004 Family Circle/Prudential Financial ‘Player Who Makes a Difference’, given annually to a female pro tennis player who has made outstanding contributions of both time and energy to worthy causes.
• Named by Sports Illustrated as third most influential minority in Sports (behind Robert Johnson and Tiger Woods); ad for Breast Cancer Awareness Campaign is featured in October 2003 issues of Vogue, Essence, Lucky and Self
honored as 2003 Laureus World Sportswoman of the Year (award statuette presented by Venus), received 2003 Celebrity Role Model Award from Avon Foundation for her charitable work in breast cancer awareness;

Ebony (May 2003), in Vogue photo spread (April 2003); at the 34th NAACP Image Awards (in 2003), received President’s Award with Venus; 2003 recipient of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Los Angeles and Inland

• Donated $10,000 to the Clarendon (South Carolina) School District 1, where tennis legend Althea Gibson was born: $8,000 for computer laptops and $2,000 for the Serena Williams Scholarship.

.Today, many Los Angeles inner-city high school tennis players are being passed over for tennis scholarships because they do not have the training or rankings.
The Venus and Serena Williams Tutorial/Tennis Academy of Los Angeles addresses this problem by providing an atmosphere where all students can thrive, interact, and develop by offering not only tennis lessons, but also tutoring, seminars for the PSAT and SAT tests, seminars on how to complete college applications, mentoring, and guest speakers that discuss different career possibilities.

I logged in just to give you a good rep ;)

And outside of a few WTA posters, I've never heard of Serena having a negative image that needed repair.

SJW
Oct 31st, 2006, 04:34 PM
I'm very proud of her...good job Serena :yeah:

olivia100
Oct 31st, 2006, 04:56 PM

And outside of a few WTA posters, I've never heard of Serena having a negative image that needed repair.

Exactly. That's why I would love to know what that poster is talking about when he/she/it talks about a negative image pretaining to Ree. That poster has not answered my question yet.

olivia100
Oct 31st, 2006, 04:58 PM
I guess if it was Lindsay or anybody else doing it you would not hear a peep out of these people. Sorry, yes you would, but it would go like this...oh, she's so nice, she has always had a kind heart, she's always giving, and giving etc..

MisterMan
Oct 31st, 2006, 05:35 PM
YOU get a car ! YOU get a car ! YOU get a car ! YOU get a car ! YOU get a car !

((inside Oprah joke))

Stamp Paid
Oct 31st, 2006, 05:38 PM

Exactly.

LH2HBH
Oct 31st, 2006, 05:46 PM

:worship:

new-york
Oct 31st, 2006, 05:52 PM

hopefully, rich coutries don't only try to help their poor people because we could have an "empty" continent.

Stamp Paid
Oct 31st, 2006, 05:55 PM
I don't doubt Serena's sincerity, but it just rubs me the wrong way.....

It just rubs you the wrong way because its Serena, period. :tape:
Stop the bullshit. :lol:

darrinbaker00
Oct 31st, 2006, 07:08 PM
It just rubs you the wrong way because its Serena, period. :tape:
Stop the bullshit. :lol:
So much for having me on ignore.....:tape:

By the way, thank you so much for the title you bought for me. ;)

sweetpeas
Oct 31st, 2006, 07:31 PM
Serena Williams

THANK"S :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :kiss: :) Katrine,to.thank:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

dreamgoddess099
Oct 31st, 2006, 07:32 PM
Serena Williams

I'd like to add to that:

-Serena helped Linda Long create a tennis and golf event that took place in Las Vegas, the event raised $60,000 for Dr. Sofia Merajver's ovarian cancer research at the U-M Cancer Center.

-Serena (who can't even sing) helped record "We Are Family." a musical venture to raise funds for survivors of hurricane Katrina and other natural disasters.

-Serena posed nude in Elton John's book Four Inches to benefit The Elton John Aids Foundation.

-Serena posed in Giorgio Armani's Faces of Sport book with special olympian Kester Edwards to to benefit the Special Olympics

-Serena participated in the We Are The Future concert that benefits children living in war-torn cities across the globe.

-Serena had donated signed memorabilia to be auctioned off to assist victims of the ethnic cleansing taking place in the African country of Sudan

-Serena auctioned off private tennis lesson to benefit The Tom Joyner Foundation

-Serena granted the wish of a kid with a life-threatening illnesses named Paige who's one wish was to meet her for the Make a Wish Foundation.

-Serena has donated memorabilia to be auctioned off for the Multiple Sclerosis Society of India.

There are shit loads more, need I go on or have you got the point?

sweetpeas
Oct 31st, 2006, 07:40 PM
I'd like to add to that:

-Serena helped Linda Long create a tennis and golf event that took place in Las Vegas, the event raised $60,000 for Dr. Sofia Merajver's ovarian cancer research at the U-M Cancer Center.

-Serena (who can't even sing) helped record "We Are Family." a musical venture to raise funds for survivors of hurricane Katrina and other natural disasters.

-Serena posed nude in Elton John's book Four Inches to benefit The Elton John Aids Foundation.

-Serena posed in Giorgio Armani's Faces of Sport book with special olympian Kester Edwards to to benefit the Special Olympics

-Serena participated in the We Are The Future concert that benefits children living in war-torn cities across the globe.

-Serena had donated signed memorabilia to be auctioned off to assist victims of the ethnic cleansing taking place in the African country of Sudan

-Serena auctioned off private tennis lesson to benefit The Tom Joyner Foundation

-Serena granted the wish of a kid with a life-threatening illnesses named Paige who's one wish was to meet her for the Make a Wish Foundation.

-Serena has donated memorabilia to be auctioned off for the Multiple Sclerosis Society of India.

There are shit loads more, need I go on or have you got the point?

Thank......I truly love you dreamgoddess!I always read your post.Someone special.thanks:cool: :) :bounce: :worship:

olivia100
Oct 31st, 2006, 08:05 PM
Thank......I truly love you dreamgoddess!I always read your post.Someone special.thanks:cool: :) :bounce: :worship:

This is hilarious. I was just about to type this same message to dreamgoddess when I saw this. I mean the exact same words. scary, scary.

sweetpeas
Oct 31st, 2006, 08:10 PM
[QUOTE=olivia100;9386861]This is hilarious. I was just about to type this same message to dreamgoddess when I saw this. I mean the exact same words. scary, scary.[/QUO

olivia100........I feel the same thing"s toward your post!your"ll special to?I just can"t write as good as you!:cool: :kiss: :kiss: :bounce: :wavey:

Mother_Marjorie
Oct 31st, 2006, 08:47 PM
"Selfless Serena Sets Great Example; Champions World Poverty"

You might want to change the title to "Champions Fight Against World Poverty."

Because, "Champions World Poverty" makes it appear that she is for World Poverty.

Denise4925
Oct 31st, 2006, 08:59 PM

At least she's doing something. A little bit is better than nothing at all, because every little bit helps. Leave the criticism to those you don't see doing anything at all. There sure is plenty of that to go around. You can even start in the WTA. Just don't start with the people who are doing something, whatever their motivations.

darrinbaker00
Oct 31st, 2006, 09:11 PM
At least she's doing something. A little bit is better than nothing at all, because every little bit helps. Leave the criticism to those you don't see doing anything at all. There sure is plenty of that to go around. You can even start in the WTA. Just don't start with the people who are doing something, whatever their motivations.
Just because I don't see someone doing something doesn't mean they aren't doing something. All I said was that I would like to see Americans take care of home first. We have plenty of poor and sick people here at home. We have plenty of children here in Alameda County that Madonna and Angelina Jolie can adopt. Not once, NOT ONCE, did I ever say that Serena or any other celebrity was wrong for doing what they're doing.

StarDuvallGrant
Oct 31st, 2006, 09:21 PM
Just because I don't see someone doing something doesn't mean they aren't doing something. All I said was that I would like to see Americans take care of home first. We have plenty of poor and sick people here at home. We have plenty of children here in Alameda County that Madonna and Angelina Jolie can adopt. Not once, NOT ONCE, did I ever say that Serena or any other celebrity was wrong for doing what they're doing.

Why don't you start by adopting them if you haven't done so already. Maybe that will make you feel better about Americans helping out America. Angelina, Madonna, even Serena cannot save the whole world. But the point is that a start is a start and it's something. As it is Serena's charitable work has been pointed out to you which further makes your comments and those by others that sullied a positive thread on serious sujbect matter even more out of place.

Wannabeknowitall
Oct 31st, 2006, 09:37 PM
Why don't you start by adopting them if you haven't done so already. Maybe that will make you feel better about Americans helping out America. Angelina, Madonna, even Serena cannot save the whole world. But the point is that a start is a start and it's something. As it is Serena's charitable work has been pointed out to you which further makes your comments and those by others that sullied a positive thread on serious sujbect matter even more out of place.

So what exactly would your sullying of a positive thread on Angelina Jolie be called? :wavey:
Obviously you didn't know the full story on why Angelina prefers to adopt over using charitable organization but that didn't stop you from commenting about it.
By the way she's considering sueing someone in one of those organizations you think she should put more focus on, finances were being misused. It's a typical thing that happens with these kinds of organizations.
It was on the news today.

StarDuvallGrant
Oct 31st, 2006, 09:41 PM
So what exactly would your sullying of a positive thread on Angelina Jolie be called? :wavey:

This is what I said in the Angelina thread:

Love Angie and all but I think they should concentrate on the kids they have and perhaps change their outlook to charity and organizations at the moment.

I consider myself a big Angelina fan and I would seriously like for you to point where I sullied that thread with the above. Go ahead... I can wait.

Edited: As for the thread being positive, you were in there arguing with other posters before I even got there.

Denise4925
Oct 31st, 2006, 09:42 PM

I didn't say you said what they were doing was wrong. You said it rubbed you the wrong way. I'm saying it doesn't make sense that someone doing something would rub you the wrong way, when there are so many others doing nothing. The fact that you mentioned that there are starving children at home here in America, that you didn't like that she's not doing something here, is a criticism. You said in your first sentence that because you don't see someone doing something doesn't mean they aren't, well give Serena that benefit of the doubt. You don't know what she's doing for people here at home, which is evident by your comment on her only doing McDonalds and the Owl Foundation. When in fact, you were quite unaware of the various charitable organizations she's participated in in one way or another. So, why the criticism or negativity? :shrug:

Stamp Paid
Oct 31st, 2006, 09:47 PM
I didn't say you said what they were doing was wrong. You said it rubbed you the wrong way. I'm saying it doesn't make sense that someone doing something would rub you the wrong way, when there are so many others doing nothing. The fact that you mentioned that there are starving children at home here in America, that you didn't like that she's not doing something here, is a criticism. You said in your first sentence that because you don't see someone doing something doesn't mean they aren't, well give Serena that benefit of the doubt. You don't know what she's doing for people here at home, which is evident by your comment on her only doing McDonalds and the Owl Foundation. When in fact, you were quite unaware of the various charitable organizations she's participated in in one way or another. So, why the criticism or negativity? :shrug:

Denise, you know why. ;)
And I think hes gone far beyond the benefit of the doubt.

supergrunt
Oct 31st, 2006, 09:49 PM

Before I even entered the thread I knew that you were going to have something negative to say about Serena- even when she is doing charity. :lol: :rolleyes: You really are the definition of a hater.

I am happy to hear that Serena is doing this. :)

Wannabeknowitall
Oct 31st, 2006, 09:54 PM
Denise, you know why. ;)

And yet some people will continue to see a conpiracy theory while some Williams supporters did the same thing in the Angelina Jolie charity thread.
:rolleyes:

darrinbaker00
Oct 31st, 2006, 10:01 PM
Sullied a positive thread? You give me WAY too much credit.

darrinbaker00
Oct 31st, 2006, 10:02 PM
Denise, you know why. ;)
Thank you.;)

Denise4925
Oct 31st, 2006, 10:05 PM
And yet some people will continue to see a conpiracy theory while Williams supporters did the same thing in the Angelina Jolie charity thread.

Wannabe, you're so full of shit. What Williams supporters? Because not all Williams supporters, including myself participated in that conversation. Nor did I even know that the thread existed, but you pigeon hole a group of fans together, even though all Williams fans don't always agree on every topic. If the topic was non-tennis related why are you relating the comments to a particular group of tennis fans?

Brooklyn90
Oct 31st, 2006, 10:07 PM
It's great of Serena :yeah:

Hawn
Oct 31st, 2006, 10:12 PM

I remember Martin Luther King Jr. saying something along the lines that injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere. I think it's great that Serena and other people are paying attention to world issues.:worship: Especially in a time like this, America needs its citizens to show the world its compassion and concern.

Wannabeknowitall
Oct 31st, 2006, 10:20 PM
Wannabe, you're so full of shit. What Williams supporters? Because not all Williams supporters, including myself participated in that conversation. Nor did I even know that the thread existed, but you pigeon hole a group of fans together, even though all Williams fans don't always agree on every topic. If the topic was non-tennis related why are you relating the comments to a particular group of tennis fans?

I changed it to some Williams supporters 2 minutes before you posted this message which pretty much nullifies any comment about me piegonholing a group of fans.
I wasn't talking about you. I know you didn't post in that thread.
The topic was non-tennis related but it's still a similar topic.
Some of the ones that are complaining about people sullying this thread are the same ones who sullied the Angelina Jolie thread.
I don't see a reason why there should be a double standard for people's charity work.
I find it pretty pathetic.

StarDuvallGrant
Oct 31st, 2006, 10:23 PM
Sullied a positive thread? You give me WAY too much credit.

I have to stop taking your words seriously it seems.

Mother_Marjorie
Oct 31st, 2006, 10:26 PM
And yet some people will continue to see a conpiracy theory while some Williams supporters did the same thing in the Angelina Jolie charity thread.

I'm reminded of the time in this forum when Justine’s Winners' Circle came under attack by a very specific group of trolls attempting to minimize Justine's efforts to give hope to children with cancer.

Most tennis players generally start foundations once they've reached a certain level of celebrity. However, it doesn't stop the persistent nay-sayers who will frequently say their generosity is based upon seeking publicity.

Wannabeknowitall
Oct 31st, 2006, 10:30 PM
I'm reminded of the time in this forum when Justine’s Winners' Circle came under attack by a very specific group of trolls attempting to minimize Justine's efforts to give hope to children with cancer.

Most tennis players generally start foundations once they've reached a certain level of celebrity. However, it doesn't stop the persistent nay-sayers who will frequently say their generosity is based upon seeking publicity.

MarJenAll if you're talking about the picture of Justine and Yves with some children in the pool, then maybe you should talk to the person who asked for people to caption that picture, fully knowing it was a picture from a charity event unlike the ones who made a caption of it.

Dunlop1
Oct 31st, 2006, 10:34 PM
YOU get a car ! YOU get a car ! YOU get a car ! YOU get a car ! YOU get a car !

((inside Oprah joke))

A HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAH AH AHA!!! :haha: :haha: :haha:

CrossCourt~Rally
Oct 31st, 2006, 10:43 PM
classic :lol:

darrinbaker00
Oct 31st, 2006, 10:43 PM
I have to stop taking your words seriously it seems.
This is an Internet message board, my friend. You shouldn't take ANYONE'S words too seriously. ;)

ezekiel
Oct 31st, 2006, 10:45 PM
GO SERENA !!!

Forget the haters and do what's right :worship: :worship: :worship:

StarDuvallGrant
Oct 31st, 2006, 10:52 PM
This is an Internet message board, my friend. You shouldn't take ANYONE'S words too seriously. ;)

I meant seriously as in actually giving respect to your opinion and voice. Although this is the internet, I still pay attention to what someone says and I don't go out to disregard their points.

QUEENLINDSAY
Oct 31st, 2006, 10:57 PM
Nice shot from Serena! Its a winner!!

Veenut
Oct 31st, 2006, 11:08 PM
Way to go Serena!!:yeah: Even Jesus' motives were questioned when he did good works therefore its no surprise that there will always be those type among us.

I'm sure those who will reap the benefits will be greatful and be thankful that they don't have to rely on the critics for their lip service.

darrinbaker00
Oct 31st, 2006, 11:13 PM
Way to go Serena!!:yeah: Even Jesus' motives were questioned when he did good works therefore its no surprise that there will always be those type among us. Thankfully they are in the minority and are usually powerless.
OK, OK, I give up. My fellow Royal Courters have made me see the error of my ways. ALL HAIL SERENA WILLIAMS, THE MOTHER TERESA OF THE WTA TOUR! :bowdown: :bowdown:

Veenut
Oct 31st, 2006, 11:33 PM
ALL HAIL SERENA WILLIAMS, THE MOTHER TERESA OF THE WTA TOUR! :bowdown: :bowdown:

You don't have to take it that far but I just fail to understand the barage of criticism of anyone who tries to help others in need.:confused: To me that's the whole purpose of life on earth is to extend a helping hand to those who are in need and I can never see the evil when anyone does that.

darrinbaker00
Nov 1st, 2006, 12:03 AM
You don't have to take it that far but I just fail to understand the barage of criticism of anyone who tries to help others in need.:confused: To me that's the whole purpose of life on earth is to extend a helping hand to those who are in need and I can never see the evil when anyone does that.
And I fail to understand how so many people can take what some knucklehead on an Internet message board says so seriously, especially when said knucklehead (that would be me, of course) has told you all many times not to.

supergrunt
Nov 1st, 2006, 12:08 AM
Darrinbaker, how much have you donated to charity? :rolleyes: Until you do something you can't say anything. Arthur Ashe went to South Africa to help stop apartheid, so are you suggesting that he didn't have his priorities right becuase he chose to go to Africa instead of helping black people in America? Oh, and Venus and Serena's exhibition tour is doing charity events in New Orleans to raise money for hurricane Katrina victims. Venus and Serena are involved in a lot of American charities. I guess that you decided to ignore this... :rolleyes:

darrinbaker00
Nov 1st, 2006, 12:17 AM
Darrinbaker, how much have you donated to charity? :rolleyes: Until you do something you can't say anything. Arthur Ashe went to South Africa to help stop apartheid, so are you suggesting that he didn't have his priorities right becuase he chose to go to Africa instead of helping black people in America? Oh, and Venus and Serena's exhibition tour is doing charity events in New Orleans to raise money for hurricane Katrina victims. Venus and Serena are involved in a lot of American charities. I guess that you decided to ignore this... :rolleyes:
Speaking of knuckleheads.....

Stamp Paid
Nov 1st, 2006, 12:36 AM

K.
But what the hell you quoting me for? :confused:

olivia100
Nov 1st, 2006, 12:37 AM

Denise, these people want Serena to be on the court 24/7 and do nothing else. Like I said, if it was anyone else doing it they would shower them with acolades. Oh lord, and god forbid if it was Kim it would be just fine but Serena...it's a no, no. Sometimes I wonder if these people really read what they type.

olivia100
Nov 1st, 2006, 12:39 AM

You did not have to say it but you sure insinuated it about Serena.

olivia100
Nov 1st, 2006, 12:42 AM

:worship: :worship: :worship: BTW, is she a fan of Serena? No way in hell she could be. This is a positive thread about something great Serena is doing and this is the best she can do as a fan. Do you ever see Kim's fans putting her down when she does something...Hell no, they almost want to turn her into a saint, even if it's just holding a kid close to her.

Yasmine
Nov 1st, 2006, 12:50 AM
the haters can go to hell;) I take my :hatoff: to anyone who does charity work. Some can use the fact they're famous to help out, good on them! very easy for people who just hate the girl to use that against her. But I bet those might not realise how much even a minute of your time given to people in need might mean to those :worship:

darrinbaker00
Nov 1st, 2006, 12:51 AM
You did not have to say it but you sure insinuated it about Serena.
Ah, my adoring fans..... :bounce:

olivia100
Nov 1st, 2006, 12:56 AM
A HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAH AH AHA!!! :haha: :haha: :haha:

I am lost on this one.

supergrunt
Nov 1st, 2006, 01:20 AM
Speaking of knuckleheads.....

:lol: no reply to what I said? :haha: yes! :bounce: :aparty:

serenafan08
Nov 1st, 2006, 02:20 AM
Great stuff from Serena! :yeah:

:rolleyes: But it's equally annoying that people criticize an athlete for doing something good. People on here don't just criticize the Williams sisters when they do something for charity - I've noticed people saying negative things about other players who do charity work, and that's really irritating. We need to appreciate the fact that athletes even give a damn about other people.

olivia100
Nov 1st, 2006, 02:38 AM
Great stuff from Serena! :yeah:

:rolleyes: But it's equally annoying that people criticize an athlete for doing something good. People on here don't just criticize the Williams sisters when they do something for charity - I've noticed people saying negative things about other players who do charity work, and that's really irritating. We need to appreciate the fact that athletes even give a damn about other people.

That's not true S&V are the only two they criticize good, bad or indifferent.

harloo
Nov 1st, 2006, 02:44 AM
:help: This is becoming so predictable. I mean can a thread about Serena lending her name to charity ever be about the cause instead of some contrived controversy? This reminds me of the Hurricane Katrina pledge that people lost their minds over. It wasn't like it was their money or time involved but as always something rude and ignorant was said. T-I-R-E-D!:lol:

dreamgoddess099
Nov 1st, 2006, 08:12 AM
"Selfless Serena Sets Great Example; Champions World Poverty"

You might want to change the title to "Champions Fight Against World Poverty."

Because, "Champions World Poverty" makes it appear that she is for World Poverty.

I trusted most people to have common sense to know she's fighting against it, otherwise it would be contradictory to the first part of the sentence to say that she's setting a good example.

pigam
Nov 1st, 2006, 10:51 AM
That's not true S&V are the only two they criticize good, bad or indifferent.

This is so untrue and you know it!

olivia100
Nov 1st, 2006, 12:15 PM
This is so untrue and you know it!

In that case then show me a couple of cases.

winone23
Nov 1st, 2006, 05:28 PM

Venus and Serena have created programs for poor children and they have given money for teens to go to college. They have been in many other charities too. They do a lot work that is not always reported by the media. stop being a hater!!!!!

What have you done lately to make the world a better place?????

SelesFan70
Nov 1st, 2006, 06:32 PM
Serena gets criticized for have McDonald's as a sponsor, then gets criticized for trying to help the "war on poverty" where she could use McDonald's to help out. Haters! :rolleyes:

darrinbaker00
Nov 2nd, 2006, 12:00 AM
Venus and Serena have created programs for poor children and they have given money for teens to go to college. They have been in many other charities too. They do a lot work that is not always reported by the media. stop being a hater!!!!!
Then how do you know about it?
What have you done lately to make the world a better place?????
I was born. ;)