PDA

View Full Version : Players who gave up tennis careers for education...

tenn_ace
Oct 30th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Surely that most of names here will be juniors, but there are some 'older' players as well... Name also the institution they went to (if possible).

I will start

Lena Litvak - now in Harvard University
Beier Ko - now in Hravard University

trivfun
Oct 30th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Surely that most of names here will be juniors, but there are some 'older' players as well... Name also the institution they went to (if possible).

I will start

Lena Litvak - now in Harvard University

Jeanne Arth U.S. Nationals semi's in singles (1958) and doubles champions with Darlene Hard in 1958 and 1959, also won the 1959 Wimbledon with Darlene. She quit after 1959 because amateur tennis couldn't pay her bills despite being a top 10 singles. She became an educator and counselor in the Minnesota schools. She went to the College of St. Catherine in Minnesota and graduated in 1956. Y

auntie janie
Oct 30th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Neyssa Etienne. from Haiti. University of South Florida
Monika Dancevic (Frank's sister). University of Miami (Florida).

hu2891601
Oct 30th, 2006, 11:14 PM
interesting thread! I would like to know more about those people. ^_^

partbrit
Oct 30th, 2006, 11:23 PM
Sally Ride

auntie janie
Oct 30th, 2006, 11:32 PM
interesting thread! I would like to know more about those people. ^_^

http://www.collegetennisonline.com/view/player.asp?plId=48304

http://www.collegetennisonline.com/view/player.asp?plId=53032

Joana
Oct 30th, 2006, 11:57 PM
Eva Dyrberg from Denmark gave up tennis at the age of 22 in order to study medicine in Copenhagen. She was ranked inside top 100 and had wins over Maleeva, Pratt, Kremer and Matevzic among others.

vogus
Oct 31st, 2006, 12:32 AM
Eva Dyrberg from Denmark gave up tennis at the age of 22 in order to study medicine in Copenhagen. She was ranked inside top 100 and had wins over Maleeva, Pratt, Kremer and Matevzic among others.

A player who reaches the Top 100 and then quits for educational reasons is very, very rare. I can't think of any other examples of this.

Hantuchov
Oct 31st, 2006, 12:37 AM
A player who reaches the Top 100 and then quits for educational reasons is very, very rare. I can't think of any other examples of this.

Didn't Irvin stop playing to get a degree as well ?!
I think I've read sth about that...

I think Marta Marrero started studying in an university, too, maybe last year, not sure tho.

vogus
Oct 31st, 2006, 12:43 AM
Didn't Irvin stop playing to get a degree as well ?!
I think I've read sth about that...

I think Marta Marrero started studying in an university, too, maybe last year, not sure tho.

Irvin and Marrero were both suffering from long period of stagnating results before they quit though. I'm talking about a player who actually gives up her tennis career when it's on the upswing, and Dyrberg is the only one i can think of who fits that example.

rockstar
Oct 31st, 2006, 12:48 AM

she won a dubs title with daniela too :)

Hantuchov
Oct 31st, 2006, 12:54 AM
Irvin and Marrero were both suffering from long period of stagnating results before they quit though. I'm talking about a player who actually gives up her tennis career when it's on the upswing, and Dyrberg is the only one i can think of who fits that example.

Irvin beat Safina and Dulko last year, before giving up on tennis, at least for a while. I dunno how low her ranking was at that time, but she was doing WAY better than Marta, who was down to 200's when she started studying.

vogus
Oct 31st, 2006, 01:04 AM
Irvin beat Safina and Dulko last year, before giving up on tennis, at least for a while. I dunno how low her ranking was at that time, but she was doing WAY better than Marta, who was down to 200's when she started studying.

ok Irvin was not doing as badly as Marta, but she was 26 y.o., and definitely past her prime as a player.

Rising Sun
Oct 31st, 2006, 06:21 AM
Anne Miller retired while in the Top 50 in 1998... :sad:

xin_hui
Oct 31st, 2006, 06:27 AM

beier :armed:

Brαm
Oct 31st, 2006, 06:46 AM
Eveline Vanhyfte (retired in 2005) is now studying French and Spanish ;)

Slumpsova
Oct 31st, 2006, 06:51 AM
Vania seems to do it in tha couple of years :sad:

Rising Sun
Oct 31st, 2006, 11:19 AM
beier :armed:
Beier hasn't exactly 'given up' her tennis career. She's playing College tennis and will probably turn pro once she graduates.

Paule22
Oct 31st, 2006, 11:57 AM
Jana Kandarr - Berlin - geoscience :)

barryproudfoot
Oct 31st, 2006, 12:26 PM
when Hingis was hiding away from the game, she went to study in Zurich :p

tenn_ace
Oct 31st, 2006, 12:32 PM
Beier hasn't exactly 'given up' her tennis career. She's playing College tennis and will probably turn pro once she graduates.

most of them have continued playing in colleges and universities... what I meant, I guess, is giving up a pro career or potential pro career.

by the way, I'd be surprised if Beier returns.

Martian KC
Oct 31st, 2006, 12:35 PM

That's nice to hear.

dawid
Oct 31st, 2006, 12:51 PM
Venus Williams has a Certificate in Interior Decorating and currently studying for a Bachelors Degree in Interior Design ... Started V Starr Interiors, an interior design company located in Palm Beach Gardens and Jupiter, Florida, that specializes in residential design and works on projects around the country

tenn_ace
Oct 31st, 2006, 01:04 PM
Venus Williams has a Certificate in Interior Decorating and currently studying for a Bachelors Degree in Interior Design ... Started V Starr Interiors, an interior design company located in Palm Beach Gardens and Jupiter, Florida, that specializes in residential design and works on projects around the country

but she didn't have to give up her career, right? ;)

salima
Oct 31st, 2006, 01:12 PM
Caroline Tiedeman NOR tired of travelling alone around the world, and went back to school
Lolita Frangulyan UZB, best named tennis player ever (though I have seen her name in representing University if Florida)
http://gatorzone.com/tennis/women/images/bioimg2005/Frangulyan_Lolita.jpg

dawid
Oct 31st, 2006, 01:22 PM
but she didn't have to give up her career, right? ;)

Yes:tape: My mistake:( But she connects science and career :worship:

danra
Oct 31st, 2006, 01:52 PM
Vanessa Webb retired in order to do a top MBA or something similar didn't she?

jazzfuzion
Oct 31st, 2006, 02:02 PM
Yes:tape: My mistake:( But she connects science and career :worship:

ok so you just merely wanted to brag...but that's fine alright,if you like it

dawid
Oct 31st, 2006, 02:15 PM

My error results from it, that I haven't read theme exactly. :p

tenn_ace
Oct 31st, 2006, 02:23 PM

why not? this is not a bad thing to brag about ;)

Fantastic
Oct 31st, 2006, 02:33 PM
Back in the late eighties and early nineties, Great Britain pinned their hopes on a tall, blonde and effortlessly talented Welsh lass by the name of Sarah Loosemore. Representing Great Britain, Loosemore emerged at the Hopman Cup at the end of the 1988 season to showcase her talent. She destroyed a reckless Hana Mandlikova in straight sets and then went on to force Pam Shriver to three sets at the 1989 Australian Open. Her career was looking up but she was also finishing high school. After sitting her A-Levels, she found that her grades were high enough to get her into Law. She juggled playing pro tennis and studying Law at Oxford for a couple of seasons until she was forced to choose her true passion and follow it. Sarah Loosemore retired from tennis at the age of 20 in 1992. She had fallen in love with a man and wanted to continue her studies to become a lawyer. Today, she is a happily married mother of two kids with plans to return to law some day.

Pasta-Na
Oct 31st, 2006, 02:35 PM
na li spent around 2 years in uni before too :)

rrfnpump
Oct 31st, 2006, 04:11 PM
doesnt Melissa Irvin take a break from tennis for education?

Tatsiana Uvarova also gave up her career and is now studying :sad:

MisterMan
Oct 31st, 2006, 04:19 PM

Hmm, I know someone who did not attend HARvard. ;)

fufuqifuqishahah
Oct 31st, 2006, 04:27 PM
Vania seems to do it in tha couple of years :sad:

:weirdo: :unsure: :lol: :tape:
---

how about Mary Carillo....

Slumpsova
Oct 31st, 2006, 04:44 PM
:weirdo: :unsure: :lol: :tape:
---

how about Mary Carillo....
she always says she want to go to college :rolleyes:
even right now she dicides to continue playing but in the next couple of years she will go back to study. try to read some more articles :weirdo: