PDA

View Full Version : Kim Clijsters' Hasselt Blog

~Kiera~
Oct 30th, 2006, 11:01 PM
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/1/newsroom/stories/?ContentID=959

HASSELT, Belgium - One of the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour's most celebrated players makes her return from injury this week, at her home event no less. Kim Clijsters is the top seed and defending champion at the Gaz de France Stars in Hasselt, taking the court for the first time since hurting her left wrist at Montreal in August. Although she has missed over two months, the former No.1 comes on a high, having just secured her spot among the elite eight-player field at next week's Sony Ericsson Championships. Come along for the ride this week as she brings you the latest Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Player Blog!

Monday, October 30, 2006

Hello everyone!

I am very excited about this week. It's been almost two months since my most recent tournament. I like getting back into tournament rhythm, and seeing how these things work again. I'm happy to be back, and feel lucky that I can restart here in Hasselt!

Missing the last few months was very hard. There have been a lot of ups and downs. The biggest down for me was missing the US Open. After not being able to go back and defend my title, it was hard to get my motivation back. If there was something I was really looking forward to this year it was defending the US Open, and playing in the Fed Cup final. But, these things happen, and you have to just solve your problems. You just recover and recharge your batteries.

I'm excited about qualifying for the Sony Ericsson Championships. I didn't think it was going to be possible because I missed so much time! It's a tournament that I take very seriously; after winning the Sony Ericsson Championships twice, it's important for me to go back. I have a lot of respect for that tournament. I think it will be very hard for me to compete with all of the top players straight away, but I will look at it as a challenge and do my best.

I live only 20 minutes away from Hasselt, so I go home every day to spend time with my fiancee, Brian, and his dad. I try to take care of them as well as possible, and plan the rest of my schedule with them in mind - training, massages, even going to the supermarket (so I can have my fridge full at all times!) I like having people over at my house. It's fun.

One thing I've been able to do over the last few months is spend a lot of time with Brian. He plays basketball, and I've been able to go to a few of his games, also some of his away games. I really enjoy it. It's a very nerve-wracking sport! But it's fun and I enjoy watching it. It's also a great atmosphere afterwards; you go out, have a few drinks, relax. This is not always possible in the tennis world!

Last night we had a good night. We went to dinner and my bulldog Neo was in the car, and he gets so excited when a window is opened. He goes crazy! He starts biting at the wind coming through, or trying to catch it - if you let him he'll probably break a window! He's crazy. There were about six of us in the car and everyone was laughing so hard they were all in tears. He was attacking the air. Bulldogs have lots of wrinkles on their cheeks and it looked so funny. Saliva was flying everywhere! So, I guess the next time I have a few hours free, that'll be my job - cleaning the car.

I am very much looking forward to writing the blog this week. I think it's a great initiative. On my Web site, I always try to let people know the latest news of what I'm doing. Sometimes, things get a lot more attention than I expect them to, though. Last week, I fell over my dog in my garden and hurt my tailbone. My great dane just completely slammed me over! Anyway, I thought it would be fun to have that on my site, because it was just funny, but it went all over the world! I have friends in Dubai, and they saw it in the paper there!

Again, I'm very excited to be back and I will talk to you all tomorrow!!

Kim

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/global/library/200x250/Belgium-023.jpg

sweetpeas
Oct 30th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Just love this beautiful young lady.Wish you all the best Kim!

Scots Kim Fan
Oct 30th, 2006, 11:21 PM
As ever, she's so down to earth :hug:

morningglory
Oct 30th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Looks like she's getting along well with her Daddy-in-law :D

xin_hui
Oct 31st, 2006, 12:32 AM
strange...i was just thinking to myself yesterday if she'd write the hasselt blog :lol:

auntie janie
Oct 31st, 2006, 12:35 AM
Nice blog! Keep it up, Kimmy. :)

olivia100
Oct 31st, 2006, 12:43 AM
That blog reads like it was written by a 7th grader. I still like ya Kim.

urklerlay
Oct 31st, 2006, 01:02 AM
That blog reads like it was written by a 7th grader. I still like ya Kim.

I think I will try to write a blog in another language other than my native tongue. oopps..oh yeah, I don't know any other languages!

lukehingis
Oct 31st, 2006, 01:33 AM
She's starting to sound like a housewife! (cleaning the car, having a full fridge...)
adorable.. hope she wins the title!! Great to have her back!

wateva
Oct 31st, 2006, 03:40 AM
she's so cute! :hearts:

JackWalker
Oct 31st, 2006, 04:54 AM
i like kim

Cat's Pajamas
Oct 31st, 2006, 05:10 AM
Kimmy :hearts: :hug: :lol:

Ben.
Oct 31st, 2006, 06:43 AM
Kim :hearts:

Sharapova's_Boy
Oct 31st, 2006, 06:50 AM
Kim :hearts:

AaronJoyB
Oct 31st, 2006, 07:12 AM
She is so happy with his man!
Kim..all the best !

Lenafan
Oct 31st, 2006, 07:13 AM
She's such a sweet girl. The biggest shame in tennis all year was that Kim was robbed of a chance to defend her title at the US Open and she probably felt worse after seeing the quality of tennis during the US Open if she watched at all.

Martian Stacey
Oct 31st, 2006, 07:27 AM
:D I'm looking forward to reading more of Kim's blog

Ben.
Oct 31st, 2006, 07:30 AM
can't wait 2 see what other secret info kim will dish out on us ;)

Ben.
Oct 31st, 2006, 07:32 AM
She's such a sweet girl. The biggest shame in tennis all year was that Kim was robbed of a chance to defend her title at the US Open and she probably felt worse after seeing the quality of tennis during the US Open if she watched at all.

yeah, hope she can win hasselt & maybe the YEC. that would make things a whole lot better 4 her. but i'm quite sure she'll feel better when she finally plays a match after 2 months out of the game.

Melusine
Oct 31st, 2006, 07:48 AM
sweet as always :hearts:

lienie18
Oct 31st, 2006, 08:26 AM
Typical Kimmie :kiss:

Kimster
Oct 31st, 2006, 09:05 AM
As ever, she's so down to earth :hug:

Hi honey!!!!!

Long time no see/read! :smooch:

Kim ROCKS, as asual! :)

Kimster
Oct 31st, 2006, 09:07 AM

:rocker2:

Sara81
Oct 31st, 2006, 12:53 PM
I think I will try to write a blog in another language other than my native tongue. oopps..oh yeah, I don't know any other languages!

:lol: yeah, let's see you try it .. in Dutch please :p

Kim's_fan_4ever
Oct 31st, 2006, 02:07 PM
Kim :hug:

She says that newspapers in Dubai wrote about the accident with her dog, the same was in Poland :lol:

Filippo-Nastya
Oct 31st, 2006, 02:57 PM
Kim :hug:

She says that newspapers in Dubai wrote about the accident with her dog, the same was in Poland :lol:

The same here in Italy on the daily "La Gazzetta dello Sport" of last Wednesday. :lol:

~Kiera~
Oct 31st, 2006, 09:17 PM
Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Hello again!

Things have been pretty relaxed since I spoke to you yesterday. I wanted to practice on centre court yesterday, so I waited until all of the day matches were done and at about a quarter to six I got my chance. I hit for an hour, an hour and 15 minutes. It was a good hit and really nice to get a feel for the court again. For the last few weeks I've been playing in Bree, which is obviously a different feel.

After the hit I showered up, then we had dinner at the tournament. I like going to dinner with friends, and Hasselt isn't even a half hour away from my house, so it's something we do a lot. Usually, we'll go with Brian and his basketball friends to restaurants in Hasselt. I don't mind cooking but I don't know if I'm ready to cook for a big group yet - it's a lot of pressure, and I'm always worried it'll fail!

The drive is 20 or 25 minutes, but I love the trip between home and Hasselt. I love listening to music really loudly. I am listening to the band Live a lot; I have all of their CDs. My favorite song right now is The Beauty Of Gray. I like Pink too. We went to her concert a few weeks ago, in Antwerp. She's really good!

Anyway, after dinner last night we just went home. We watched The Boogeyman and that was pretty scary, but that's about it. Nothing too special! Just rested up.

Today I practiced earlier, at about 9am. It was a nice session. Then we had lunch at the courts and I went back to Bree to have treatment on my back. My wrist is feeling good, but the more I play the weaker my back gets. But all my treatment at this point is mainly preventative. My cousin is coming over later to give me a massage. I think everything will be all good before my first match tomorrow!

I'm just about to get started on cooking dinner - rice, vegetables and shrimp - Brian has a game tonight so it's a good meal for before a game. My friend, Caroline Maes, is staying the night with us. Like me, she has her first round match tomorrow.

Speaking of my first match, I'm very excited. When the draw came out the first time, I was supposed to play a qualifier; there were a lot of players who had to pull out so they remade the draw, but I got another qualifier! So it came out nice. But I do have a tough opponent first, Anne Kremer. I've lost to her in the past. She has been injured a little bit. She's been around for a long time so it could be an interesting one. But now I don't really look at my opponent's game too much, I focus on mine. I'm not usually too focused on who is standing in front of me.

I told you a bit about one of our dogs yesterday, so I should mention the other ones too. The one I spoke about yesterday is Neo, which is Brian's bulldog. The one that I was playing with in the garden last week (the one that hurt me, but I know it wasn't on purpose!) is Diesel, my Great Dane. And then I also have a bulldog, Beauty, a little girl. I got her from a good friend as a gift after I won my first Championships. So all three dogs have now joined each other and are living together. They're so funny. Neo is the only male dog in the house, and he doesn't like Beauty. He loves Diesel though, even though she is three or four times his size! The bulldogs don't like each other. They aren't mean but they just don't pay any attention to each other. Neo and Diesel walk and sleep together - I think it's because they're younger that they get along better. My bulldog is five years old, so maybe she's getting a little old.

Not much else to talk about today - the day before your first match isn't always too packed. No running around with the dogs, anyway! I might go and watch Brian's game later, and hopefully they'll win.

I'll talk to you all tomorrow after my match!!

Kim

Ben.
Oct 31st, 2006, 09:25 PM
Kim really must really love her dogs even if she did get pushed by one. Kim just lives a normal life just like us even if she is a world class tennis star & that of course is great 2 see her being happy again.:D

jenny161185
Oct 31st, 2006, 11:08 PM
I love reading all the players blogs they re really fun and great insight into the preparations of top players - Cant wait to see Kim back in action :)

sapir1434
Nov 1st, 2006, 01:24 PM
:hearts:

vejh
Nov 1st, 2006, 05:27 PM
I love her dog stories. I'm a huge lover of dogs meself.lol.

Rice/veggies/shrimp sound sooooo good. I want to spend a night at KC's house.lol.

mc8114
Nov 1st, 2006, 06:29 PM
Kim :awww:

always so nice :hearts:

timafi
Nov 1st, 2006, 06:31 PM
Kim sounds like a good wifie in the making:D :D

~Kiera~
Nov 2nd, 2006, 01:28 AM
Wednesday, November 1, 2006

So it was my first match back today. I started pretty well, going up 3-0 without losing a point. I'm not sure if that's ever happened to me! After that though, I think I made a few too many mistakes. I'm happy I won but that's probably what I am most happy about. I don't expect to have an easy match in the beginning of my comeback. It's good to have a tougher match so you can find things you've got to work on, and also be challenged mentally. This kind of match can only help me in this tournament, and at the Championships, too; speaking of which, I've attached a picture of me and my plane ticket to Madrid, which I got today.

It was kind of hard to get back into the match day rhythm. Just preparing before the match, getting back into the routine of getting my drinks and racquets ready. I'll have to get used to that again! But still, everything went pretty smoothly. I had the night match and I've always liked those, anywhere in the world. Here in Belgium they're great, and I also love playing outdoors under the lights.

I did a lot of press afterwards. It's not something I like or dislike, it's just a part of finishing my day at a tournament. The press conference I had the first day I got here was probably much longer; tonight I think a lot of people had deadlines so it wasn't too bad, and it's not that late.

Some good and some not so good things have happened since yesterday, when I last spoke to you guys. I mentioned I might go to Brian's basketball game last night; I did, and unfortunately they lost. It was too bad. He's here right next to me so maybe I won't talk too much about it! But some of his teammates came to watch my match today so that was nice.

One thing I'm very happy about is that Caroline Maes, who I mentioned is staying with me this week, won her first round match today. I was actually quite nervous for her. She's had some tough months and she didn't know if she wanted to keep going in tennis, but she has been working hard. She was supposed to play in the qualifying, but she was playing in Turkey last week, so they gave her a main draw wild card; they had one left, and she felt lucky and thankful. Today she beat Yuliana Fedak, who is ranked about No.65, and Caroline is around No.320. Very exciting for her! Maybe I'm even happier about her win than mine today! She's actually going to be staying with me the whole week. She stays over a lot. We've known each other for like 12 years so I know her well. I feel very comfortable with her, we have lots of fun. I'm friends with many people, but I only have a few really, really good friends, and she is definitely one of them.

Another nice thing is that my sister Elke was at the tournament today, watching my match. She came over with her sports camp, which was about 45 kids, and they were all yelling and screaming for me! She also came to watch me at the US Open last year. She never sat in the player's box though. She would always sit other places, which was hard because I always wanted to find her and make eye contact. I'm really close with her. She's my younger sister and I love her!

Another good friend who came to see me play today was Martin, from Fila, my sponsor. He came all the way from America - it was really nice to see him.

I play my second round match tomorrow night against Martina Müller. I played her in the first round of the US Open last year; it's always a bonus to play with someone who you've played before, especially in these times, where there are so many new girls playing the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour. Usually I play someone I've never seen before! Martina is a smaller girl, is quick and fights until the end. It'll be tough. I hope I can play a little better than I did today. Like I said yesterday, I just have to focus on myself rather than on my opponents, and just know what I have to work on. I've got a lot of improvements to make!

Talk to you all after the match!!

Kim

ShotSpot
Nov 2nd, 2006, 01:29 AM
Good luck Kim and all the best! :woohoo:

~Kiera~
Nov 2nd, 2006, 11:39 PM
Thursday, November 2, 2006

Hello again!

I just won my second round, but I still have some mixed feelings like yesterday. There were a few games where the ball was going exactly where I wanted it to go and I was controlling my points, like how I usually play. But there are definitely games where I'm still not patient enough and am not making the right decisions. Sometimes I'd be a meter or two behind the baseline and would go for a big shot instead of a safer one. But the more I play, the more that will come back.

Even though yesterday was my first match in a while, I woke up this morning and felt good. I was maybe a little stiff here and there but mostly I was very ready to go. I really wanted to work on the physical side of things before I came back, so that I'd feel good and not get stiff again after tough matches. I don't have much time - only two more tournaments this year - so I wanted to be at a stage where I'd only be worried about my game on the court.

Now that I'm playing regularly again, I'm getting back into pre-match routines. Like this morning, I got some breakfast for me, Brian and his dad; I went to the bakery and got some bread and sandwiches. Then I made lunch a bit later. I am still having problems with some of the waiting and eating before a match. I'm pretty superstitious, like here at Hasselt, I'm always going to the same locker room (there are five), trying to play on the same side of the court and eating the same thing. I like to keep my meals pretty plain at this tournament, which isn't always easy! They are always making changes to the food. I have been eating bread with just turkey and cucumber. That's lunch. Just before a match, I'll eat pasta, vegetables and chicken, if they have those. I try not to have too much sauce on the pasta. Pretty plain!

I was going to give Neil Harman from the London Times a call to do an interview this afternoon, but I ended up falling asleep! We've been meaning to do the interview for a while, but something always gets in the way. We'll eventually do it.

Also this afternoon I watched Caroline play her second round against Michaella Krajicek; unfortunately she lost, but it was three sets and she played really well. I watched one set on TV, and then drove over to the tournament to watch the rest of it. I practice with Caroline a lot and we always have a really good session. I've always felt she's better in practice than in a match but this week I've finally seen her at her best, playing as well as I know she can play. It's exciting! Hopefully, she can keep going forward and dominate the smaller tournaments she plays.

One thing that we've been celebrating a little bit is Halloween. I mentioned before that Brian and I watched The Boogeyman, but I also went out and bought some candy to give out, also little toys. A lot of Brian's basketball friends are American so they're into it too. No kids rang the doorbell that night but the basket is getting pretty empty anyway! The dogs are getting chocolate here and there. I love chocolate, especially black chocolate, it's my favorite. I like Kinder chocolate, anything from them I love. I also have my own chocolate! I gave Danny from the WTA a box of it today. It came out last year. It's a limited edition chocolate named after me, by the Belgian company Duc d'O. It's in a thin box, which looks like a tennis ball can, but filled with little chocolates that look like little tennis balls! They taste good. The company asked me to do it and I was happy to.

I got something very exciting today. One of my friends bought me a tupperware bowl that has a lid attached, and you just put onions into it, turn it, and it slices them up for you. It'll definitely make my cooking much less stressful! When I cut onions, I'm crying the whole time. I can't wait to start using it!!

This evening I had a bit of dinner at the tournament. They have food here until the last match is done, which is a bonus. You don't have to worry about eating at home. Usually after a match I'll just get a quick massage and rest up. Tonight I had a bit of fruit and some pasta to get my carbs up. I like the food here - I'm not a huge fan of going to really nice restaurants all the time. Sometimes Brian and I will go to them though. My favorite one is Nobu, but they don't have that here, so whenever I go to cities that have them (New York, London, Milan, Miami), I try to go as much during that one week as possible! The owner of it is a big tennis fan. I try to go every other day when I'm in one of those cities.

In the quarterfinals tomorrow I play Sandra Kloesel, whom I played in the first round of Miami last year. I won that match, but what I remember most was it was the middle of the day, and very hot; I was sweating and my skin was burning. The toughest thing out there was to get through that heat. It was draining to push yourself through the points, but I enjoy it. That's what makes you better, pushing yourself through tough situations like that. It gives you a little extra when you're playing big matches or the big players.

I'm playing the night match again tomorrow so Caroline and I will probably have some fun during the day, do some online shopping. So far this week we haven't done a lot, because we're playing at different times and she usually leaves in the morning while I'm still at home resting. But tomorrow will be fun.

I'll talk to you all again after my match!

Kim

Ben.
Nov 3rd, 2006, 12:03 AM
kim, u will only get better & better as the tournament goes on no doubt in my mind :yeah:

i actually think when kim is superstitious it's quite funny & entertaining :lol: & silly :silly: but that's what i like bout her just living the normal live like some of us people do.

kim, u rock :yeah:

wateva
Nov 3rd, 2006, 02:06 AM
Kim's going to be a v good housewife. :lol:

Ben.
Nov 3rd, 2006, 03:37 AM

:lol: i think so

xin_hui
Nov 3rd, 2006, 04:27 AM

totally agree :lol:

~Kiera~
Nov 4th, 2006, 12:05 AM
Friday, November 3, 2006

Hello again!

I won my match today and am now into the semifinals. I feel really good about the way I played. I was seeing the ball and moving a lot better. I was doing those things for a few games here and there in my previous matches this week, but today, I played well throughout the whole two sets. I just didn't let her back into the game. Actually, my serve was my biggest advantage; I was hitting it well and got a lot of free points.

I was told afterwards I haven't lost this few games in a match on the Tour since here in the semifinals last year, which is nice but I don't think about those things. It's hard for me to compare between matches from the past; it's difficult enough for me to compare matches from the week before! But I can tell when I'm playing my best tennis, and that's a feeling I had today. Now it's a matter of maintaining that feeling, that you feel you can do anything you want with the ball. That feeling can go away quickly too; I still feel I'm not playing my most perfect tennis.

It was a bit of a late night last night. There was the late match, a massage after that, then I hung out with family and friends afterwards, had some drinks (no alcohol!), and just some fun talks. I slept in until about 9:15 or 9:30 this morning, then kept to the same routines today, like going to the bakery, feeding the dogs; I finally called Neil from the Times (who I was supposed to call yesterday, but slept through). Other than that I just rested, checked my e-mails... that's about it. I did do some online shopping with Caroline like I mentioned I would - we ordered cool stuff for going to Australia in January, like some summer clothes.

Caroline is one of a few people who'll be coming with me to Australia. My sister Elke (see picture!) will also make the trip, as will my hitting partner, Wim. I've been training with Wim since I was eight or nine years old. He's one or two years older than me, and is just a really nice guy, loves tennis, and he's a very good coach. He teaches in Belgium. I enjoy his company. It's nice to travel with friends and family, not only to celebrate the wins but also to just have fun off the court. That's definitely the case with Wim and it's always great to have this kind of company when you're so far away from home.

Brian has a game tonight, but I won't be able to see it, because it's going on at the moment! Before I walked into my post-match press I got a message on my phone, from my friends that are there, that they're down by four points in the third quarter, 52-48. Apparently, it's a tough game physically, and they're fighting a lot. It's a bit late for me to go there because it's a 30-minute drive, so I'll just wait to hear about it when he gets home, and catch some of the highlights on TV.

Brian is also really into in music. He has a band, The Garbage Men. Right now they're working on their first CD and it's going very well. We have a music room at home, and he's in there a lot, writing songs, lyrics, music, trying everything on the guitar; I think it's great. It's something he really enjoys, and he's good at it. Over the last six months I can hear how much he has improved. They have four or five songs recorded but the CD is not ready to come out yet. He's the guitarist in the band - he does some singing, too, but he's not the lead singer.

People have been asking about our wedding, and I tell them we're still thinking about everything. We have some ideas as to when and where but we haven't made any decisions yet. I'll have to think about it more when the off-season comes because you just have more time together to discuss things. It isn't going to be easy, with one family from America and one from Belgium, so we need to take a lot of things into consideration! There's always little things to think about. And, I want to be involved. I won't need a wedding planner; I like to do a lot of things myself, I enjoy organizing things. My sister and my bridesmaids will help me out too, hopefully!

So back to the tournament, it was a little bit surprising today, seeing Schiavone and Ivanovic both lose. I saw a bit of those matches on TV. Schiavone always does well in Belgium, making the finals last year. But nothing really changes for me; those losses just mean that there are other players out there playing well. It doesn't make things easier for me at all. Next up I have Vera Zvonareva, who is a very tough player. Very competitive, very steady, hits it hard, a good mover... I'm looking forward to the challenge. It's these matches I've been training for!

As the tournament goes on, less and less players are around, and things just get more intimate, more personal. It's nice. I don't enjoy it too much when things are really noisy and stressful, I like it better when things are calm. Also, it's a good sign if you're still around at the end of the week!!

Talk to you all tomorrow,

Kim

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/global/library/200x250/Kim-Elke-007.jpg

goldenlox
Nov 4th, 2006, 12:12 AM
I love chocolate, especially black chocolate, it's my favorite. I like Kinder chocolate, anything from them I love. I also have my own chocolate!

Kim had better keep exercising after she retires

Ben.
Nov 4th, 2006, 12:19 AM
kim & elke look cute in that pic :hearts:

should be interesting 2 find out where kim is gonna have her wedding & her honeymoon ;)

hope kim keeps on writing this blog until she wins the title. now that woudl be super! :yeah:

wateva
Nov 4th, 2006, 12:29 AM
kim's such a perfectionist!
it couldn't get any better than today! right? ;)

Ben.
Nov 4th, 2006, 12:37 AM
kim's such a perfectionist!
it couldn't get any better than today! right? ;)

yes, kim's so cute when she's superstitious & a perfectionist :)

eagletennis08
Nov 4th, 2006, 01:32 AM
Go get 'em Kim.:smash:

~Kiera~
Nov 5th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Saturday, November 4, 2006

I'm very excited about today's match. I played Vera Zvonareva and won in three sets, 64 36 64. It was very close. It was the type of match where every single point was important. But it was fun. This is what you work for, what you train for. Even if I lost, I would have had a good feeling about it; of course, when you come out of it a winner it's much better. I'm excited not just for me, but also for the fans - after my 36-minute match yesterday, hopefully this one was a better one to watch!

I've been getting ready to leave for the Sony Ericsson Championships. I fly to Madrid Sunday, after the final. Earlier today, I did some cleaning and changed the bedsheets, so that everything will be clean for Brian when I'm gone. I did some laundry too, and got all my clothes ready. So now I just have to put them all in the suitcase. I've got a lot of packing to do tonight; it's been a long time since I've travelled so I don't know if I remember how to pack!

It's going to be a little different tomorrow, as I'm playing in the afternoon. Every match I've had so far has been at night; hopefully, I won't be too tired when I wake up and my legs won't be sore after today's match! I haven't really seen much of Kaia Kanepi. I saw her play a bit today, and I've seen her practicing once or twice. She's going to be tough - she hits the ball hard, is very tall, and likes to take risks. We'll see what happens. It'll be important for me to play my own game, be aggressive and keep moving well.

I've been asked about what it would mean to win the tournament, but I'm not at the point where I want to think about that yet; it would be great but I'm just focusing on tomorrow's match first. We can talk about that after the match!

Like I mentioned, I have quite a bit of packing to do tonight, and it's pretty late because the match went so long, so I'll keep today's blog short. But I'll definitely be back for one more tomorrow - talk to you all then!

Kim

-sugi-
Nov 5th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Kims blog has been :worship:

One of the best :)

~Kiera~
Nov 5th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Sunday, November 5, 2006

Hello everyone!

I just finished my match and I beat Kaia Kanepi for the title, 63 36 64. She was hitting the ball hard, and going for the lines; she was returning extremely well, which surprised me the most. Sometimes, there are players without the experience who can play well for a set or so, but she kept it up. It's great to see and she has a really good future ahead of her. She's a tall girl, and moves really well. I had to play my best tennis at the end to get through.

I played well - not as well as I did yesterday but it was a completely different match. The rallies were much shorter, and I really had to just raise my level on the important points. I'm feeling pretty good physically, too - my wrist is fine, and everything else feels good. It was a great week, just to be back and to play well in front of my family and friends, who all came to watch me. It's something I enjoy, looking around and seeing everyone in my box. Also sleeping at home all week was nice. Having time at home to relax during a tournament was great.

No time to celebrate though, because I'm off to Madrid! It's like this sometimes. You just have to pack your bags before, and have it all ready to go for when you finish the tournament, to go straight to the next one. I'll definitely have time to celebrate this title during the off-season, which is only a week away.

I'm really looking forward to Madrid. My season has been fairly up and down with the injuries, and I'm still surprised I even made it into Madrid. But, I'm happy to play what, to me, is the best tournament of the season. It's something I take very seriously. It's a great event, always organized really well, and of course very prestigious. From the first match on, you have a Top 8 player in front of you, so it's like starting in the quarterfinals of a Grand Slam.

I haven't really spent too much time in Madrid. A few years ago we played Fed Cup there, but I don't know too much about the city; maybe we'll meet some people who can help us get around there a bit!

I really enjoyed doing the blog this week. It was really fun. I've received a lot of positive comments about it. As I've said, it's a great initiative. I've always thought it is important for players to give back to fans. They're the ones buying the tickets! With the blog, fans can see what life looks like behind the scenes a little bit and get to know you. That's fun. That's what brings the fans closer to women's tennis, and I'm definitely interested in doing this again sometime.

Until then, take care.

Kim

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/global/library/200x250/72411507.jpg

jenny161185
Nov 5th, 2006, 07:04 PM
congrats Kim your the best :)

Scots Kim Fan
Nov 5th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Well done to Kim on writing the blog this week :bigclap:

Ben.
Nov 5th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Kim, your blog was terrific. Very well done :yeah: