PDA

View Full Version : End Of An Era: Aug. 21st 1988 - Nov. 5th 2006. Amy Frazier falls out of the Top 100

CrossCourt~Rally
Oct 30th, 2006, 09:48 PM
As some of you know Amy Frazier has decided to take off the fall season like she has quite a few times in her career. As far as i know she is not retiring and will be playing in 2007. However...this will be the first time she has not accumulated enough points to stay inside the worlds top 100 . She has been inside the top 100 for 18 years 2 months and 2 weeks. That record comes to an end this Monday, November 6th when she will fall to around #130 in the world.

I know that she has never been the one people talked about..whether its for her game, ranking, her outfits or her looks. To me, she will always be little Amy Frazier...the 18 year old i met at the US OPEN in the late 80s when i was just begining to play :D She seemed so nice, so down to earth and so in love with the game. Anyways...i thought this deserved a thread of some sort. Hopefully Amy will be back in Australia next year ready to work her way up back up the ladder...somthing she hasn't done in nearly 20 years. :D...:wavey:

pierce0415
Oct 30th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Amy :sad:

The Daviator
Oct 30th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Great post FF :worship:

Amy needs to pass that 500-win mark, so I hope to see her in '07, shame the record has to end, but all streaks must end, and that was an incredible one, well done Amy :yeah:

CrossCourt~Rally
Oct 30th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Great post FF :worship:

Amy needs to pass that 500-win mark, so I hope to see her in '07, shame the record has to end, but all streaks must end, and that was an incredible one, well done Amy :yeah:

Yeah...:lol: I think she knows that she had an exrtremely poor season and that she could benefit from the rest if she wants to continue to play for another couple years. So, its probobly for the best in the long run. She is only behind Martina N. in consecutive weeks inside the top 100. Pretty impressive for a player who has never been inside the top 10 or in a slam SF :worship:

MrSerenaWilliams
Oct 30th, 2006, 10:17 PM
:sad: Amy

AnnaK_4ever
Oct 30th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Amy,
:worship:

btexas
Oct 30th, 2006, 10:53 PM
She is so cute :hearts: :D I bet she doens't care that much about these numbers... (even if she likes math, :p ) Anyway, hope she will be back next year! Love her classic style of play and attitude, she's so nice and really enjoys playing the game. Great player :yeah:

stevos
Oct 30th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Great thread! :D

auntie janie
Oct 30th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Great thread! :hatoff:

Amy has a lot more fans than she realizes :hearts: -- though not nearly as many as she deserves. She brings a lot of class to the Tour and I hope she'll stick around for a few more years. Love ya, Amy! Have a wonderful break, then come back as enthused for tennis as ever! You're the best. :worship:

-VSR-
Oct 30th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Wow, that is amazing. Great for her, and what a long time. Good luck to her in the future. :worship:

crazillo
Oct 30th, 2006, 11:17 PM
I will always love my little Amy! :) You can be sure of that!

GrassGOAT
Oct 30th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Come back soon Amy! :worship: We love you!!

laurie
Oct 30th, 2006, 11:47 PM
I saw her at Wimbledon this year playing doubles. I was amazed she's still playing. Especially as Tauziat and Novotna were playing a seniors match at the same time.

Are Pierce and Frazier the only players left who turned pro in the late 1980s?

CrossCourt~Rally
Oct 30th, 2006, 11:48 PM
I saw her at Wimbledon this year playing doubles. I was amazed she's still playing. Especially as Tauziat and Novotna were playing a seniors match at the same time.

Are Pierce and Frazier the only players left who turned pro in the late 1980s?

Hmm..i think Maureen Drake turned pro in 1989 or so..she is still ranked in the top 100 in Doubles. I think that may be it...:confused:

go hingis
Oct 30th, 2006, 11:51 PM
Wow what a great record. I wish her all the best in her climb back up the rankings.

Vut
Oct 31st, 2006, 02:21 AM
18 years in top100 is amazing!!!! :eek:

RJWCapriati
Oct 31st, 2006, 02:29 AM
:sad:

Derek.
Oct 31st, 2006, 03:03 AM
Amy. :hug:

Cat's Pajamas
Oct 31st, 2006, 03:06 AM
Amy :sad: :worship: :hug:

SzavayFi
Oct 31st, 2006, 03:37 AM
I took a pic of her at the US Open this year.

Here is my contribution to this thread :p
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c44/eiss/raindelay/DSC00555.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c44/eiss/raindelay/DSC00554.jpg

Cat's Pajamas
Oct 31st, 2006, 03:40 AM
well here's my only pic of her from the Open (my contribution as well :p )

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/3581/img0580hg1.jpg

selyoink
Oct 31st, 2006, 04:38 AM
That is a pretty incredible run.

CrossCourt~Rally
Oct 31st, 2006, 04:48 AM
I took a pic of her at the US Open this year.

Here is my contribution to this thread :p
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c44/eiss/raindelay/DSC00555.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c44/eiss/raindelay/DSC00554.jpg

Thank you...those are nice pics of her practicing
:worship:

CrossCourt~Rally
Oct 31st, 2006, 04:49 AM
well here's my only pic of her from the Open (my contribution as well :p )

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/3581/img0580hg1.jpg

Thanks! :cool: That was from her doubles match with Vania. Was it the 1st rd ???? :cool:

Ballbasher
Oct 31st, 2006, 05:00 AM
Amy :worship: She wants to play Slam Quallies again? :o

CrossCourt~Rally
Oct 31st, 2006, 05:05 AM
Amy :worship: She wants to play Slam Quallies again? :o

She may have to do it once or twice :p

Ballbasher
Oct 31st, 2006, 05:09 AM
:sad: she deserves WCs

kittyking
Oct 31st, 2006, 05:17 AM
Shes one of the most if not thee most under-rated tennis player of the last 20 years

fufuqifuqishahah
Oct 31st, 2006, 05:17 AM
oh Amy Cakes :worship:

kittyking
Oct 31st, 2006, 05:20 AM
Can someone do a thread on how many weeks in total players have been in the top 100

Jakeev
Oct 31st, 2006, 05:22 AM
I absolutely love Amy to death. But I just don't understand that if she is going to play in 2007, why she would not have played this fall at least to keep her ranking in the top 100?

Seems a shame she will have to either play Challengers or depend on wild cards to get in Main Draws just to get her ranking back up.

Amy if your out there, I love ya but I don't get ya........:kiss:

fufuqifuqishahah
Oct 31st, 2006, 05:23 AM
I absolutely love Amy to death. But I just don't understand that if she is going to play in 2007, why she would not have played this fall at least to keep her ranking in the top 100?

Seems a shame she will have to either play Challengers or depend on wild cards to get in Main Draws just to get her ranking back up.

Amy if your out there, I love ya but I don't get ya........:kiss:

probably more important things in her life than tennis.

Jakeev
Oct 31st, 2006, 05:28 AM
probably more important things in her life than tennis.

Nothing wrong with that. But I think her fans would love to see her in the Main Draw of events.

Rising Sun
Oct 31st, 2006, 06:28 AM
Amy :sad:

I don't understand why didn't at least play Quebec either. It's not like she had to travel far...

up!
Oct 31st, 2006, 06:38 AM
Too bad for Amy.

faboozadoo15
Oct 31st, 2006, 07:00 AM
:worship: what a run, amy!

Damn, hope she can get back in there next year.

DavyJone96431
Oct 31st, 2006, 07:18 AM
GO amy and Maureen!

Brian Stewart
Oct 31st, 2006, 08:51 AM
It's too bad she skipped so many events in the fall. Now she'll miss out on DE into the Australian Open. (I wouldn't place good odds on her getting a MD WC.) Here's hoping she qualifies, so she can finish next season with a nice 75 slams played.

BTW, Frazier fans, did you see the interview with her by Scoop Malinowski, posted at the Tennis Week site?

Amy's been one of those steady players that form the backbone of the tour. But because she didn't wear flashy outfits, or have an outsized personality, or win the really big events, she's been largely overlooked by the general sports media. What was disappointing, however, was how she and her accomplishments have also been ignored by the tennis media. Those guys are supposed to keep up, and keep us informed. Thankfully, we have the internet now. (Makes one wonder about the old days, when we had to rely on the tennis media for all the news. What did they keep from us?)

Look for 2007 to mark a resurgence in the 30+ veterans. :)

Josh.
Oct 31st, 2006, 08:55 AM
poor amy

Ben.
Oct 31st, 2006, 08:59 AM
that's sad 2 hear that she's dropped out of the top 100. a model of consistency i must say.

FrenchY52
Oct 31st, 2006, 09:18 AM
Amy, you rock :rocker2:
:hearts: :worship:

rhz
Oct 31st, 2006, 09:28 AM
Good Luck in 07 Amy!

TS
Oct 31st, 2006, 10:45 AM
Amy :hug: What a great run. It would've been great to see her hang in there by playing just a few events to keep her head above water, but she's tired and she's probably had enough this year.

I doubt that she will come all the way down to Australia to have to qualify, but if she does, I'll be there supporting her :hearts:

CrossCourt~Rally
Oct 31st, 2006, 01:51 PM
It's too bad she skipped so many events in the fall. Now she'll miss out on DE into the Australian Open. (I wouldn't place good odds on her getting a MD WC.) Here's hoping she qualifies, so she can finish next season with a nice 75 slams played.

BTW, Frazier fans, did you see the interview with her by Scoop Malinowski, posted at the Tennis Week site?

Amy's been one of those steady players that form the backbone of the tour. But because she didn't wear flashy outfits, or have an outsized personality, or win the really big events, she's been largely overlooked by the general sports media. What was disappointing, however, was how she and her accomplishments have also been ignored by the tennis media. Those guys are supposed to keep up, and keep us informed. Thankfully, we have the internet now. (Makes one wonder about the old days, when we had to rely on the tennis media for all the news. What did they keep from us?)

I did see the article and that was very well said :worship:

Ellery
Oct 31st, 2006, 01:52 PM
Amy :bigcry: You rock :banana:

CrossCourt~Rally
Oct 31st, 2006, 04:02 PM
Some of my fave pics of Amy over the years...:cool: My favorite is the 4th picture... :-)

Kemper
Oct 31st, 2006, 06:27 PM
As some of you know Amy Frazier has decided to take off the fall season like she has quite a few times in her career. As far as i know she is not retiring and will be playing in 2007. However...this will be the first time she has not accumulated enough points to stay inside the worlds top 100 . She has been inside the top 100 for 18 years 2 months and 2 weeks. That record comes to an end this Monday, November 6th when she will fall to around #130 in the world.

I know that she has never been the one people talked about..whether its for her game, ranking, her outfits or her looks. To me, she will always be little Amy Frazier...the 18 year old i met at the US OPEN in the late 80s when i was just begining to play :D She seemed so nice, so down to earth and so in love with the game. Anyways...i thought this deserved a thread of some sort. Hopefully Amy will be back in Australia next year ready to work her way up back up the ladder...somthing she hasn't done in nearly 20 years. :D...:wavey:

Amy!:worship:

mike/topgun
Oct 31st, 2006, 06:39 PM
Amazing record:worship:
Amy's had not a good year, so I guess it was a good decision. Let's hope she'll be back in OZ and most of all in Wimbledon!:D Shes' one of the better grasscourt players imho:p

great thread:)

soccerjock
Oct 31st, 2006, 10:07 PM
Amy will be back in Top 100, Top 50 i reckon she is too good not to be back up there! What an amazing player she is, what a career!

CrossCourt~Rally
Oct 31st, 2006, 11:18 PM
Amy will be back in Top 100, Top 50 i reckon she is too good not to be back up there! What an amazing player she is, what a career!

My favorite poster of the day :hug:

UDACHi
Nov 1st, 2006, 12:32 AM
time to start hitting up the 50k/75k events in america, amybaby. get the 500 wins! :rocker2:

!<blocparty>!
Nov 1st, 2006, 12:44 AM
Amy!!! :sad:

Incredible.......... :worship::worship:

Brett.
Nov 1st, 2006, 12:56 AM
Bad Luck Amy!

On 21st of August 1988, I turned two on that day! ;)

hurricanejeanne
Nov 1st, 2006, 12:57 AM
A little love for a fellow Michigan girl.
Amy is just plain amazing. Just amazing. :worship: :worship:

CrossCourt~Rally
Nov 1st, 2006, 12:57 AM
Bad Luck Amy!

On 21st of August 1988, I turned two on that day! ;)

:worship: A good day in history then ;)

new-york
Nov 1st, 2006, 01:02 AM
really nice thread.

Amy:worship: good longevity.:D

tennismaster8820
Nov 1st, 2006, 01:04 AM
Amy deserves big :worship: :worship: :worship:

Jakeev
Nov 1st, 2006, 05:11 AM

Yeah but even the internet isn't always a big help either. Been looking for stuff on Bettina Bunge but nothing. It's like you said, if nothing is happening with a tennis player than regardless of the medium, we are pretty much in the dark.

ViennaCalling
Nov 1st, 2006, 09:33 AM
:eek: Amy! :sad:

Really amazing :worship: :bowdown:

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 1st, 2006, 10:00 AM
Wow, Amy. :worship:

Harju.
Nov 1st, 2006, 01:46 PM
Amy :worship: :worship:

It's a pity that she didn't play this fall :sad: Hope she'd play some challengers to get her MD spot in AO safe.

Lachrymarum
Nov 1st, 2006, 02:17 PM
Very impressive run for someone who never reached the Top 10.
Hope she comes back strong in 2007 :yeah:

Beat
Nov 1st, 2006, 02:48 PM
18 years... amazing... she entered the top 100 when many people on this board probaby weren't even born yet ;)

GermanBoy
Nov 1st, 2006, 03:18 PM
Frazier~Force, I am sure Amy is a nice and approachable person. I still love her for beating Myskina at Wimbledon in 2004 when Myskina was seeded 2nd after her win at the French Open. Absolutely ridiculous and Amy showed that by beating her.

Anyway, I wish you that she will play some more years, at least one more season. I am sure she will... :)

:inlove:
Nov 1st, 2006, 04:33 PM
That was an incredible streak for an incredible lady. :kiss: Such a nice girl, but never talked about.
Please don't retire Amy. :hearts:

Gallofa
Nov 1st, 2006, 05:26 PM
A remarkable record for a remarkable player! Hopefully, she'll keep going next year! ;)

ChrisCologne
Nov 1st, 2006, 07:13 PM
Can we be sure though that Amy is planning to go to Australia?

As far as I know, Miss Frazier was never famous for playing outside the US and Japan. Yes, she won Hobart and her game suits the courts. BUT if she skips 3-4 months totally and isn´t in the MD, I doubt that Amy comes down to play qualification.

It might be that she´s keen on that GS´s-played-record though.

My tip is that Amy decided to concentrate on the US tier and ITF level and play as close to her home as possible. Might be that she will be in some bigger US ITF events early in 2007 and skips some other parts of the season, which might be clay. Like Lindsay, Amy feel early each time in Paris.

Brett.
Nov 2nd, 2006, 12:30 AM
What was Amy's longest winning streak in 18 years?

ShotSpot
Nov 2nd, 2006, 12:31 AM
That's an amazing record! :eek:

CrossCourt~Rally
Nov 2nd, 2006, 12:58 AM
What was Amy's longest winning streak in 18 years?

i actually think it was last October/November when she won the Houston 50k and QUEBEC CITY TIER 3 back to back and then got to the QTRs of the 75K in New Mexico :D

esquímaux
Nov 2nd, 2006, 02:26 AM

I know that she has never been the one people talked about..whether its for her game, ranking, her outfits or her looks. To me, she will always be little Amy Frazier...the 18 year old i met at the US OPEN in the late 80s when i was just begining to play :D She seemed so nice, so down to earth and so in love with the game. Anyways...i thought this deserved a thread of some sort. Hopefully Amy will be back in Australia next year ready to work her way up back up the ladder...somthing she hasn't done in nearly 20 years. :D...:wavey:Cute memory :) Amy :wavey:

tobi
Nov 2nd, 2006, 10:03 AM
Amy :hearts:

Hope she can pick it up in 2007 :)

Wonderful thread btw :)

-sugi-
Nov 2nd, 2006, 10:05 AM
:sad:

Slumpsova
Nov 2nd, 2006, 10:12 AM
Amy's achievement deserves to be a thread, and YOU deserve so many good reps as being a great fan of hers for decades :hug:

MistyGrey
Nov 2nd, 2006, 11:38 AM
Fantastic achievement. She could've extended it , but :worship: AMY!

New
Nov 2nd, 2006, 12:09 PM
Hope she has the desire to keep playing for as long as she could... she's a great example of a commitment to something which she likes so much! :)

AUSBOY
Nov 2nd, 2006, 12:56 PM
946 weeks in the top 100, impressive, and sad its ending next week!!!

One would think she's almost retired now, she obviously has no plans to play in Australia next year

MikeJones
Nov 2nd, 2006, 02:05 PM
The fact shes been PLAYING that long is amazing :worship:

CrossCourt~Rally
Nov 3rd, 2006, 12:48 PM
Thanks to everyone who left me nice feedback and Amy nice comments in this thread. I hope she will get a chance to read them someday...:kiss: ...:wavey:

crazillo
Nov 3rd, 2006, 12:50 PM
Can we be sure though that Amy is planning to go to Australia?

As far as I know, Miss Frazier was never famous for playing outside the US and Japan. Yes, she won Hobart and her game suits the courts. BUT if she skips 3-4 months totally and isn´t in the MD, I doubt that Amy comes down to play qualification.

It might be that she´s keen on that GS´s-played-record though.

My tip is that Amy decided to concentrate on the US tier and ITF level and play as close to her home as possible. Might be that she will be in some bigger US ITF events early in 2007 and skips some other parts of the season, which might be clay. Like Lindsay, Amy feel early each time in Paris.

Quite resonable argumentation. :)

LefandePatty
Nov 3rd, 2006, 03:20 PM
:crying2:

But wow wow that's awesome!! AMAZING congratulations Amy :worship: :hearts: :yeah: :D

LefandePatty
Nov 4th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Amy :bowdown:

CrossCourt~Rally
Nov 4th, 2006, 04:17 PM
946 weeks in the top 100, impressive, and sad its ending next week!!!

One would think she's almost retired now, she obviously has no plans to play in Australia next year

947 ;)

FrazierFan
Nov 5th, 2006, 12:34 AM
Amy, Come back we miss you!

esquímaux
Nov 5th, 2006, 12:36 AM
Amy, Come back we miss you!lol I thought you and FRAZIER~FORCE were the same person :o

CrossCourt~Rally
Nov 5th, 2006, 05:20 PM
lol I thought you and FRAZIER~FORCE were the same person :o

Maybe we are :devil:... :lol:

FrazierFan
Nov 5th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Split personality ;-)

CrossCourt~Rally
Nov 5th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Split personality ;-)

:angel:

esquímaux
Nov 5th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Whatever the case, I'll take you both on :kiss: My place at 8, k?

CrossCourt~Rally
Nov 6th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Whatever the case, I'll take you both on :kiss: My place at 8, k?

Its 8:02...your late...as usual... :p

HenryMag.
Nov 6th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Amy is in my 1st tennis memory (US Open 2002 against Maleeva) and she was my 1st love in tennis, now is LenaD, but Amy will be always in my heart...She likes Maths, just like me.

90 quarter-finals in WTA Tour events and 71 Grand Slam main-draws - all-time record - is very impressive to a player that never been in top 10...

Come back next year to finish in top 100 and to win your last title...!!!

CrossCourt~Rally
Nov 9th, 2006, 03:40 AM
Amy is in my 1st tennis memory (US Open 2002 against Maleeva) and she was my 1st love in tennis, now is LenaD, but Amy will be always in my heart...She likes Maths, just like me.

90 quarter-finals in WTA Tour events and 71 Grand Slam main-draws - all-time record - is very impressive to a player that never been in top 10...

Come back next year to finish in top 100 and to win your last title...!!!

Nice post...thanks :kiss: :wavey:

kittyking
Nov 10th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Miss you already Amy :bigcry:

Kunal
Nov 10th, 2006, 10:03 AM
lol.......era!