PDA

View Full Version : Should There Be An "Indoor Slam"?

iPatty
Oct 30th, 2006, 09:22 PM
I think it's interesting that tennis has a slam for every surface except for indoors.

So, the question arose in my mind as to if there should be a slam held indoors or not.

So, discuss.

jimbo mack
Oct 30th, 2006, 09:27 PM
No, the four slams are special. leave them alone. indoors has the YEC anyway, which is the next biggest tournament after the slams

franny
Oct 30th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Well the WTA tour championships is indoor, so that probably makes up for it.

416_Man
Oct 30th, 2006, 09:32 PM
It just wouldn't be feaseable. The grandslams have on average about 10 courts that are used. To have 10 indoor courts, including a centre court or two with capacity of over 5,000 people would be impossible. Economically it's too expensive, especially because this venue would appear to be the size of a little indoor town.

Lunaris
Oct 30th, 2006, 09:42 PM
It just wouldn't be feaseable. The grandslams have on average about 10 courts that are used. To have 10 indoor courts, including a centre court or two with capacity of over 5,000 people would be impossible. Economically it's too expensive, especially because this venue would appear to be the size of a little indoor town.
There was a similar discussion not so long ago and nobody realized this, therefore I am very surprised that now someone did. :yeah: 10 courts is still not enough though, at least 15.

Wiggly
Oct 30th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Maybe twos 32 players Draws ATP and WTA. But as someone said, its need a a lot of space...

The Daviator
Oct 30th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Nope, the YEC is held indoor and makes up for it, I do think it should be a mixed event though like the Slams...

Carsten
Oct 30th, 2006, 09:50 PM
well imo it would be really nice but just very hard to realize ;)

Wayn77
Oct 30th, 2006, 09:52 PM
No thank you. I am just about getting my fill of hardcourts and hard-indoors. Anyone for a spot of grass or clay?

Kimster
Oct 30th, 2006, 09:54 PM
I think it's interesting that tennis has a slam for every surface except for indoors.

So, the question arose in my mind as to if there should be a slam held indoors or not.

So, discuss.

I adore etiquette....

...you go first. :)

iPatty
Oct 30th, 2006, 09:59 PM

Good point. Although, technically, you could hold the men's and women's events at separate times, so you wouldn't have to have so many courts.

TeamUSA#1
Oct 30th, 2006, 10:02 PM

So, discuss.

But indoors ins not a surface! The surface indoors can any really.... hardcourt, carpet, clay.....

The YEC is indoors because of the time of the year it is held.... that is enough, the 4 slams are fine the way they are.

TonyP
Oct 30th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Didn't they just do that in Zurich?

morningglory
Oct 30th, 2006, 10:17 PM
they could transform AO or USO to an indoor u know :o put roofs on all the courts and use'em... bang! It's indoors...

Mateo Mathieu
Oct 30th, 2006, 11:50 PM
they could transform AO or USO to an indoor u know :o put roofs on all the courts and use'em... bang! It's indoors...
$$$

Mother_Marjorie
Oct 30th, 2006, 11:55 PM

So, discuss.

Logistically, it would be a fiscal and logistical nightmare attempting to find/build multiple indoor courts for such a slam.

It will never happen.

RenaSlam.
Oct 30th, 2006, 11:56 PM
There will be an indoor slam. For Sure.

vogus
Oct 31st, 2006, 12:47 AM
if China is willing to invest a billion dollars in facilities and promotion, they could conceivably establish an indoor Grand Slam event to be held in the fall.

Derek.
Oct 31st, 2006, 12:50 AM
I don't know if they players would like another slam. :unsure:

bellascarlett
Oct 31st, 2006, 01:12 AM
They are building new indoor courts at flushing meadows.

As for the slam, I'd be in favor of it, if only because both my faves would probably win it. ;)

Lunaris
Oct 31st, 2006, 02:07 AM
It's not only about money. It's about history and tradition, those 4 GS tournaments are the eldest tournaments in the history of tennis, that's why there won't be another GS. There is still many people who care about sport and would see more than only a profit I firmly believe. Maybe we will witness a '2nd Miami' but not another GS.

MARYANGEL
Oct 31st, 2006, 02:18 AM
Upto I know, the US open will have indoor court, and about three to four years,

miffedmax
Oct 31st, 2006, 02:43 PM
Yes, it should be Tokyo, and it should be made retroactive to the start of 2006.

And really, it's just a coincidence that Elena just happened to win there this year. I swear.

Quack
Oct 31st, 2006, 03:07 PM
No, the four slams are special. leave them alone. indoors has the YEC anyway, which is the next biggest tournament after the slams

:worship:

Kim's_fan_4ever
Oct 31st, 2006, 03:10 PM
It's impossible... A Slam requires many courts, you have men and woman's draw, then the doubles, juniors...
Anyway, I think 4 Slams are enough.

goldenlox
Oct 31st, 2006, 03:12 PM
It's impossible... A Slam requires many courts, you have men and woman's draw, then the doubles, juniors...
Anyway, I think 4 Slams are enough.
Good reason

TomTennis
Oct 31st, 2006, 03:37 PM
No. The slams have been going on for so long now that they have great prestige.

4 slams a year is enough.

Look at other sports, they usually only have their major signifying tournament a year, but tennis has 4.

Plus, the YEC has indoors.