PDA

View Full Version : Battle ANNA: Who has had the more illustrious SINGLES career Smashnova or Kournikova?

fufuqifuqishahah
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Of the two Anna --nova's, whose career, in your opinion, has had more success?

We're only talking about SINGLES here

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/3/global/photos/150x200/110375.jpg
Anna K
-------
Career High: 8
W-L: 209-129
Top 100: 7 years
Top 15: 3 years
Singles Titles: Zero
ITF Singles Titles: 2
Grand Slam Accomplishments:
-4th Rounds: 8
-QF: 1
-SF: 1
-Overall GS W-L: 44-22
Other Accomplishments:
-Youngest Player to Play and Win in Fed Cup Competition
-Played for Russia in Atlanta Olympics (helped pave way for future Russians!)
-At age 14 was Junior European and ITF Junior World Champion Under 18
-Has beaten several Grand Slam Champions: Lindsay Davenport, Martina Hingis, Monica Seles, Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario, Conchita Martinez, etc.
-beat 4 top 10 players in one tournament (Miami) (had only been done 7 timmes before)
-1996 Wta Tour Most Impressive Newcomer Award
-Selected to the 1998 People Magazine 50 Most Beautiful People list, one of only two athletes to make list :p

http://www.usopen.org/images/players/wtas361.jpg
Anna S
-------
Career High: 15
W-L: 401-301
Top 100: 10 years.. and still going
Top 15: Only for a little bit
Singles Titles: 14 :worship:
ITF Singles Titles: 7
Grand Slam Accomplishments:
-4th Rounds: 2
-QF: 0
-SF: 0
-Overall GS W-L: 30-46
Other Accomplishments:
-Won her First ITF Pro Singles Title as a Lucky Loser
-Wins over several top 10 players and future Grand Slam Champions including Novotna, Clijsters, Henin-Hardenne, Myskina
-Named 1994 TENNIS Magazine/Rolex Watch Female Rookie of the Year
-Holds the record for most ties played in Federation Cup competition - 61
-No. 1 junior in the Soviet Union at the age of 10

dizoo
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Kournikova...sure

Highlandman
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Uhm, Anna K. had the much better Carrer-High and the much better GS-Results, but Anna S. won titles, so I think it is tied.

Viktymise
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Kournikova cause she got to the final of tier 1s, and got to a semi in a GS, the ranking difference says it all really

FORZA SARITA
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:54 PM
kournikova

GoDominique
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:55 PM
More illustrious - Anna K.

More success - Anna S.

jimbo mack
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:55 PM
kournikova of course, she had the higher ranking, had heaps more success in the slams and big tourneys. and these are the things that count in this comparison, not tier 3's,4's and 5's

however, smashnova is a good player and has been ranked top 20 so she is by no means shabby

Shonami Slam
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:56 PM
anna K for sure.
smashnova is a completly different spicies altogether. btw - you got her career tournies wrong. it's only 12 ;)

-sugi-
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Kournikova, but personally if I was a pro player out of the two, I would prefer a career like Smashnovas :)

matthias
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:57 PM

More success - Anna S.

i agree 100%

ClaudiaZ-S
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Anna S for sure! :)

GoDominique
Oct 30th, 2006, 06:02 PM
kournikova of course, she had the higher ranking, had heaps more success in the slams and big tourneys. and these are the things that count in this comparison, not tier 3's,4's and 5's
Those achievements are pretty much forgotten though, except the top 10 ranking maybe.
But everyone remembers that Anna K. won 0 titles.

jimbo mack
Oct 30th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Those achievements are pretty much forgotten though, except the top 10 ranking maybe.
But everyone remembers that Anna K. won 0 titles.

could you honestly ever see smashnova make a semi of a slam? or semi of YEC? or make finals in multiple tier 1's? do u think smashnova could string wins over hingis, graf, seles, and davenport like kournikova

people dont remember players for small tournaments, they remember them in the slams and big tournaments cuz this is what tennis is all about

Poova
Oct 30th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Anna Kournikova. Although winning so many titles is impressive, Smashnova won most of them at the Tier III, IV and V level so yeah :p

jimbo mack
Oct 30th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Anna Kournikova. Although winning so many titles is impressive, Smashnova won most of them at the Tier III, IV and V level so yeah :p

smashnova won all of them at this level ;)

MistyGrey
Oct 30th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Anna Kournikova hands down.
I dont remember any grandslam event where Anna S was considered a serious threat. Niether was she ever a threat to any top player. If I were a player I'd much rather prefer the career of a Kournikova over a bunch of Tier Vs, atleast there was a time when she had the respect of an elite player.

GoDominique
Oct 30th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Anna Kournikova hands down.
I dont remember any grandslam event where Anna S was considered a serious threat. Niether was she ever a threat to any top player. If I were a player I'd much rather prefer the career of a Kournikova over a bunch of Tier Vs, atleast there was a time when she had the respect of an elite player.
:lol:

I would rather win "a bunch of Tier Vs" and actually make the most of my talent than having a career that is a huge failure because of total waste of talent.

jimbo mack
Oct 30th, 2006, 06:21 PM

I would rather win "a bunch of Tier Vs" and actually make the most of my talent than having a career that is a huge failure because of total waste of talent.

fair enough, but other posters would rather settle for more success than less :p

i would rather look back on my career and say i beat graf and seles and competed with the likes of hingis, davenport and venus rather than say i won small tournaments beating the likes of laurence courtois and klara koukalova

but i guess we're all different :wavey:

GoDominique
Oct 30th, 2006, 06:26 PM
i would rather look back on my career and say i beat graf and seles and competed with the likes of hingis, davenport and venus rather than say i won small tournaments beating the likes of laurence courtois and klara koukalova

but i guess we're all different :wavey:
I guess so too. I would find it pretty depressing to look back and say "I beat Graf and Seles and competed with the likes of Hingis, Davenport and Venus" only to realise "but all these players had formidable careers and will be remembered as Champions while I ended up titleless and sucking and losing to the likes of Bruna Colosio". :sad:

MistyGrey
Oct 30th, 2006, 06:46 PM

Yea I guess I can understand your logic, but I would rather be an underachiever than somebody whose talent at best could only get her a bunch of Tier 3s. No offence to Anna S.

MistyGrey
Oct 30th, 2006, 06:47 PM
I guess so too. I would find it pretty depressing to look back and say "I beat Graf and Seles and competed with the likes of Hingis, Davenport and Venus" only to realise "but all these players had formidable careers and will be remembered as Champions while I ended up titleless and sucking and losing to the likes of Bruna Colosio". :sad:

Fair enough!

Shonami Slam
Oct 30th, 2006, 07:06 PM

of course the amazingly funny irony is that in one of Smashnova's small tournaments was won beating a certain Anna Kournikova. ;)

it's not a case of "smashnova's career is pathetic, her titles are useless, no one cares about her achievments, history will forget about her, only slams count" and so on - no reason to tread annaS' career, but it's very easy to see that while kournikova belongs to a certain group of talented, bright young players whom had big shots and game, smashnova was a pro, working hard and doing her best.
both made a living through tennis - but in two parelal dimensions, it seems.

tobi
Oct 31st, 2006, 10:43 AM
Smashnova made full use of her talent and got huge success in my opinion.On the other hand Kournikova wasted her talent...

rightous
Oct 31st, 2006, 11:18 AM
I agree with most of those before me, I think it is a much bigger accomplishment to make the most out of your talents than to be a nearly player.

Winning 12 titles is a massive achievement, in addition Anna S has a 12/13 final record what Anna K wouldn't give for that. In addition Anna S finished inside the Top 20 for 2 years.

Anna S has beaten some very impressive players, Clijsters, Henin, Daniela H, Dementieva, Jankovic, Kournikova herself, Kuznetsova, Majoli, Molik, Myskina, Novotna, Rubin, Safina, Schynder. So she has beaten 6 grand slams champions not too bad I'll say.

zakketiello
Oct 31st, 2006, 11:50 AM
kournikova

Aaron68
Oct 31st, 2006, 12:08 PM
Kournikova, hands down for me.

If you look at her activity, she rarely played anything below a Tier II. The vast majority of the tourneys in which she competed were either Slams or Tier Is. She played against the best, and occassionally won.

If Anna K. had said "You know what? I'm going to go make a living playing Tier IVs" then she probably would have won a title. But none of us would have cared about her.

She was a damned good player for a while there.

Just look at the GS records for the two of them. I think that tells you everything you need to know.

Actually, in just ONE tournament, Anna K. accomplished more than all those nothing events added together, AFAIC:

Miami 1998

R128 BYE
R64 Lucic, Mirjana (46) W 6-4 6-2
R32 Seles, Monica (5) W 7-5 6-4
R16 Martinez, Conchita (9) W 6-3 6-0
Q Davenport, Lindsay (2) W 3-6 6-1 6-2
S Sanchez-Vicario, Arantxa (8) W 3-6 6-1 6-3
F Williams, Venus (11) L 2-6 6-4 6-1

And, oh, the year before, at Berlin, she bageled Arantxa.

*JR*
Oct 31st, 2006, 12:28 PM
I think Chakky will wind up being the most accomplished Anna within a few years. ;) (I'm not counting "Ana with one n" in that calculation, BTW).

The Jabberwock
Oct 31st, 2006, 12:43 PM
of course the amazingly funny irony is that in one of Smashnova's small tournaments was won beating a certain Anna Kournikova. ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sure Anna K. badly wanted to get this title...

Anna K. was (and still is) a star. Anna S. was (and still is) a hard worker.

By the way, Anna S. won 12 titles out of 13 finals and she also was the Roland Garros 2001 Junior champ at age of 14.

P_Fer
Oct 31st, 2006, 12:52 PM
I pick whoever made more money from singles

MH0861
Oct 31st, 2006, 12:54 PM
Smashnova. Atleast she knew what it felt like to be a champion, let alone 14 times.

Kournikova has nothing to remember her singles career by whatsoever. Sure, she had some good wins, and was ranked high, but she has nothing to show for it. She was a great doubles player, though.

Ellery
Oct 31st, 2006, 01:10 PM

More success - Anna S.

Agree.

spencercarlos
Oct 31st, 2006, 01:20 PM
Kournikova, hands down for me.

If you look at her activity, she rarely played anything below a Tier II. The vast majority of the tourneys in which she competed were either Slams or Tier Is. She played against the best, and occassionally won.

If Anna K. had said "You know what? I'm going to go make a living playing Tier IVs" then she probably would have won a title. But none of us would have cared about her.

She was a damned good player for a while there.

Just look at the GS records for the two of them. I think that tells you everything you need to know.

Actually, in just ONE tournament, Anna K. accomplished more than all those nothing events added together, AFAIC:

Miami 1998

R128 BYE
R64 Lucic, Mirjana (46) W 6-4 6-2
R32 Seles, Monica (5) W 7-5 6-4
R16 Martinez, Conchita (9) W 6-3 6-0
Q Davenport, Lindsay (2) W 3-6 6-1 6-2
S Sanchez-Vicario, Arantxa (8) W 3-6 6-1 6-3
F Williams, Venus (11) L 2-6 6-4 6-1

And, oh, the year before, at Berlin, she bageled Arantxa.
Not sure how to answer this one.
This reminds me of the comparisson between a former "world number three" like Coetzer and others former "world number three".
Anna Smashnova was consistent, a true hard worker, and earned everything she´s got, but certainly she was not a great player, considering she banked a lot of wins in the less Tier events, and when it mattered the most she faltered over and over (Tier II,Tier I and grand slams).
Anna Kournikova for her part sure is a question of what she could have been than what she was, but definetly Anna K was the better player in singles no doubt, she was more talented, and her results in the bigger events overshadow Anna´s S by a lot.
Smashnova used to play a lot of lowe tier events, while Kournikova used to play the bigger events most of the times.

This same happens when comparing Conchita and Sabatini, and people overlook the fact that Conchita banked a lot in lower Tier events whie Sabatini did not use to play the lower tier events.

aussie_stars
Oct 31st, 2006, 01:35 PM
Kournikova has nothing to remember her singles career by whatsoever. Sure, she had some good wins, and was ranked high, but she has nothing to show for it. She was a great doubles player, though.

:confused:

Nothing to remember her career by whatsoever?

- in only her second tour event she made the 4th round of the US Open, beating the World No.14 on the way.
- at 14 was the youngest player to play and win in Fed Cup
- only the 2nd player to make semi's of Wimbledon on debut.
- def 4 top 10 players in a row.
- it took her until her 3rd season on tour to lose to someone ranked lower than her, this alone shows that tier4 and 5's wins are irrelevant in this argument, kournikova did not hardly play them.

the list goes on....people say she didnt fulfill her potential and that is true but she certainly had a career that deserves respect. No disrespect to smashnova but she's not in the same conversation as kournikova.

aussie_stars
Oct 31st, 2006, 01:48 PM
Also consider this, Kournikova, as a 14 yr old she won a 50k ITF event in the US and this is how she did it:

Q1 def world no.485 6-0 6-2
Q2 def no.376 6-1 5-7 6-4
Q3 def no.476 6-4 6-1
R1 def no.290 7-5 6-3
R2 def no.95 6-2 6-4
QF def no.202 6-2 6-0
SF def no.61 7-5 7-6
F def no.47 7-6 6-1!!

compare that to Smashnova's first Tour Title at the Tier 4 at Tashkent at age 23.
R1 def no.145
R2 def no.310
QF def no.133
SF def no.293
F def no.100

so Kournikova wins 8 straight matches including 3 over top 100 players to win the title as a 14 yr old and gets credited with 0

while Smashnova wins 5 matches, the highest ranked opponent being number 100 and her titles tally goes to 1.

:confused: and thats the only argument that people give for smashnova being more accomplished as a player?

Shvedbarilescu
Oct 31st, 2006, 01:49 PM

More success - Anna S.

Perfectly and simply put.

Ballbasher
Jun 24th, 2007, 08:46 PM
I think Chaky overtook them both although she lacks a few great wins :)

.Andrew.
Jun 24th, 2007, 09:03 PM

More success - Anna S.

Agreed.

ys
Jun 24th, 2007, 09:04 PM
I have a lot of respect for Anna S. But Kournikova is a legend, who turned women's tennis into glamour sport practically on the spot and will be remembered for longer.

Achievement wise though the best Anna ever is Chakvetadze.. No contest here.

goldenlox
Jun 24th, 2007, 09:07 PM
I think Anna K is still ahead of Anna C.
Slam semi and Miami final vs slam QF and Miami SF.
But Anna C is just beginning her career.

ys
Jun 24th, 2007, 09:11 PM
I think Anna K is still ahead of Anna C.
Slam semi and Miami final vs slam QF and Miami SF.

And Tier I Moscow title, which easily beats anything Anna has ever had..

M&M
Jun 24th, 2007, 09:13 PM
anna k

Slutiana
Jun 24th, 2007, 09:21 PM
kournikova....remember when smashnova beat her in a final:mad:

donniedarko
Jun 24th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Also consider this, Kournikova, as a 14 yr old she won a 50k ITF event in the US and this is how she did it:

Q1 def world no.485 6-0 6-2
Q2 def no.376 6-1 5-7 6-4
Q3 def no.476 6-4 6-1
R1 def no.290 7-5 6-3
R2 def no.95 6-2 6-4
QF def no.202 6-2 6-0
SF def no.61 7-5 7-6
F def no.47 7-6 6-1!!

compare that to Smashnova's first Tour Title at the Tier 4 at Tashkent at age 23.
R1 def no.145
R2 def no.310
QF def no.133
SF def no.293
F def no.100

so Kournikova wins 8 straight matches including 3 over top 100 players to win the title as a 14 yr old and gets credited with 0

while Smashnova wins 5 matches, the highest ranked opponent being number 100 and her titles tally goes to 1.

i really think that there's nothing to say when youre lookin at this stats.What a tourney for Kournikova,8straight wins in one event.It's such a shame that AK didn't fullfill her potential.
Anna C.is on her way to be a great player.She's smart on the court,just like Anna K.was,but Kournikova's game was so much more entertaining(for me for sure).

ps.sorry for my poor english

goldenlox
Jun 24th, 2007, 09:24 PM
And Tier I Moscow title, which easily beats anything Anna has ever had..Anna K reached a Moscow final, and an FCC final. Plus the Miami final.

ys
Jun 24th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Anna K reached a Moscow final, and an FCC final. Plus the Miami final.

Finals don't bring the glory. Trophies do. You know that jsut as well as I do.

goldenlox
Jun 24th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Anna C would say herself that she still has a lot more to do.
She already said Anna K is a big reason why she's in tennis.

Dave.
Jun 24th, 2007, 09:38 PM
This is a tough question. In singles, Kournikova spent alot of time as a top player who was always a contender for the bigger events, so she didn't even have to play the smaller tiers. Smashnova on the other hand has had a long career and very consistent at the level just below Kournikova, peaking very briefly at the top level. I would say they have had about equal success in their careers but I'd rather have titles to my name than none at all. I also think Smashnova's run of 12 finals unbeaten was incredible.

Joana
Jun 24th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Kournikova, and not because of the glamour and crap, but because she made it to top 10 and actually beat the players who matter once in a while.

sharapovarulz1
Jun 24th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Kournikova

Ballbasher
Jun 24th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Anna C would say herself that she still has a lot more to do.
She already said Anna K is a big reason why she's in tennis.
Well need to agree with you there hmm but I hope Chaky can do well at Wimby too.She already has a higher career high :)

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 24th, 2007, 09:55 PM
I'd take Kournikova's, even if it meant I'd be remembered as a hardcore underachiever.

serenaforever
Jun 24th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Anna K

#1SteffiGraf#1
Jun 24th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Kournakova