PDA

View Full Version : Seems like British commentators are more respectful to Vee than American commentators

fufuqifuqishahah
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:19 PM
I've been watching a lot of eurosport videos and other british things, and the commentators seem to respect Venus a lot more than the American commentators. Is this just because possibly British people are more respectful in general? And if so... Is this true for other players as well?

Thanx peepies

Helen Lawson
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Are these old tapes, or current commentary on old tapes? I thought she was equally pooped on in her prime, but now that she's getting bad results and hardly ever playing and people think she'll retire soon, suddenly is like everyone is loving on her. I never heard British commentary on her, but the WB officials never seemed too thrilled with her presense or wins.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Well I think if you put any commentator up against the very negative Mary Carillo and Pam Shriver it makes everyone else seem objective.

olivia100
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Are these old tapes, or current commentary on old tapes? I thought she was equally pooped on in her prime, but now that she's getting bad results and hardly ever playing and people think she'll retire soon, suddenly is like everyone is loving on her. I never heard British commentary on her, but the WB officials never seemed too thrilled with her presense or wins.

They are not thrill when either sister win there.....and we all know why.
Heck even here at the US Open they are not thrill and this is their home.

SJW
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Yeah British commentators are very respectful in general, but definitely moreso to the WS than the American ones.
American commentators aren't very good IMO. They lack objectivity.

TomTennis
Oct 30th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Yeah British commentators are very respectful in general, but definitely moreso to the WS than the American ones.
American commentators aren't very good IMO. They lack objectivity.

agreed. They can be entertaining, like Elise Burgen, who is pretty funny at times, but I think I would prefer to listen to the likes of Jo Durie, someone with some character and not afraid to give her honest opinion, and is very entertaining.

Jakeev
Oct 30th, 2006, 08:49 PM
agreed. They can be entertaining, like Elise Burgen, who is pretty funny at times, but I think I would prefer to listen to the likes of Jo Durie, someone with some character and not afraid to give her honest opinion, and is very entertaining.

Elise is also part of the Tennis Channel trio that includes, Anne Smith and Katrina Adams.

I disagree with this thread just based on the commentary I have been listening to those three commentators.

They definitely are very objective about all players.

Steffica Greles
Oct 30th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Personally, I wouldn't be too respectful to Venus.

A player who had the potential to become the 2nd best player in history (behind her sister) has only won what seems like a handful of insignificant matches since Wimbledon 2003, with one obvious exception - Wimbledon 2005. Take that out of the equation, and Venus has been in freefall for a long, long time now.

darrinbaker00
Oct 30th, 2006, 10:04 PM
I've been watching a lot of eurosport videos and other british things, and the commentators seem to respect Venus a lot more than the American commentators. Is this just because possibly British people are more respectful in general? And if so... Is this true for other players as well?

Thanx peepies
What do you mean by "respectful?"

manu32
Oct 30th, 2006, 10:09 PM
eurosport is not a british channel......

LH2HBH
Oct 30th, 2006, 10:14 PM
I think American players in general are not as respected on the lawns of Wimbledon as are British players, chiefly due to the fact that Americans are the greatest purveyors of the "new" tennis game. The two-handed backhand, baseline power tennis which I think the British find inherently offensive (pardon the pun ;)).

I think Venus' win in 2005 earned her some respect points, however, and perhaps even a little bit of "sweetheart" status...

raquel
Oct 30th, 2006, 10:31 PM
I think American players in general are not as respected on the lawns of Wimbledon as are British players, chiefly due to the fact that Americans are the greatest purveyors of the "new" tennis game. The two-handed backhand, baseline power tennis which I think the British find inherently offensive (pardon the pun ;)).

I don't think that's quite true anymore. In the 1950s, maybe but Britian's not *that* stuffy and the fans certainly aren't as stuffy as some of the people running Wimbledon. American players like Chris Evert, John McEnroe through to Andre Agassi, Venus & Serena, Davenport etc. have always been popular with the fans.

I don't think that's true. Wimbledon was one of the first events to even let Althea Gibson get into the draw when the game was still color segregated and that was back in the 1950s. They may be a bit stuffy with some small little traditions sometimes, but letting Althea Gibson compete was more than a lot of other European events did (and even some American events still were color segregating), so I don't think they've ever been racist in any way.

sweetpeas
Oct 30th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Nothing new?Then they cry,talking about their" no American in the top10!.When the "sisters" were there,you bitch!So what?Give me a break.:mad: :devil:

johnoo
Oct 30th, 2006, 10:46 PM

its called British eurosport,so its aimed at people in britain:rolleyes:

star
Oct 30th, 2006, 11:15 PM
What do you mean by "respectful?"

Wondering the same thing...I don't think I've ever found commentators to be "disrespectful".

Maybe negative sometimes, but they're just trying to make their point.

Diam's
Oct 30th, 2006, 11:43 PM

Haven't you ever noticed that there are several versions of Eurosport ?!
International, German, British, French ... t'es vraiment l'ouest mon gars :tape:

Justine Fan
Oct 31st, 2006, 09:04 AM
Heck even here at the US Open they are not thrill and this is their home.

Hey Special600 :wavey:

I know how you absolutely hate it when people make mistakes in their grammer/spelling and you just have to tell them, so I'd just thought I'd let you know that the word is "thrilled" not thrill, when used in the above context :rolleyes: . If it was a typo, then I would have ignored it, because it doesn't bother me when people make typo's or if the grammer/spelling is bad, but we can see from your post that it is not a typo, because you've used the word twice .... which means you have no idea that it is "thrilled" and not thrill. :tape:

Have a nice day now :)

Justine Fan
Oct 31st, 2006, 09:10 AM
....and we all know why.

Why? :confused:

Care to let us British know please?