PDA

View Full Version : Kim Clijsters: I won't play Rome anymore and...

-Ph51-
Oct 30th, 2006, 03:50 PM
i have to think about RG. She doesn't know if she'll play Hasselt in 07 either.

pierce0415
Oct 30th, 2006, 03:51 PM
:wavey: Kim

MH0861
Oct 30th, 2006, 03:51 PM
I don't understand her aversion to clay - she has had great success on clay. Has she been injured on it or something?

-sugi-
Oct 30th, 2006, 03:52 PM
:eek: :sad:

Sara81
Oct 30th, 2006, 03:54 PM

Source?

KBdoubleu
Her attitude towards clay has become so awful, and its a shame because she could do very well on the surface (and she has)

CooCooCachoo
If she doesn't play Hasselt in 2007, there won't be anyone watching :)

honeyke
Oct 30th, 2006, 03:55 PM

Really? Unbelieveable...

Slumpsova
Oct 30th, 2006, 04:01 PM
and we are still doubt about her decision to retire :lol:
i think i know Kim's next year schedule.

-Australian Open
-Antwerp
-Wimbledon
-Get Married
-Get Pregnant

:rolleyes:

-Ph51-
Oct 30th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Source?

VRT teletext. :)

Kim's_fan_4ever
Oct 30th, 2006, 04:04 PM
:shrug:

Sara81
VRT teletext. :)

thank you

pierce0415

-Australian Open
-Antwerp
-Wimbledon
-Get Married
-Get Pregnant

why wait until after W to get pregnant?
she will probably get pregnant in April, play Wimbledon 2-3 m pregnant

Kim's_fan_4ever
Oct 30th, 2006, 04:06 PM
she will probably get pregnant in April, play Wimbledon 2-3 m pregnant

:rolleyes: :haha:

xin_hui
Oct 30th, 2006, 04:07 PM
I don't understand her aversion to clay - she has had great success on clay. Has she been injured on it or something?

the tennis ball that comes into contact with clay is heavier, and this does no good to her wrist

plus she hurt her shoulder in warsaw and knee in berlin last year

tennisIlove09
Oct 30th, 2006, 04:07 PM
the funny thing is, her attitude is reflected on court. 2005 she was so determined for every point, every ball. 2006, she seemed in different and like she didnt care. It was like after the 2005 US Open, she got her major, that's all she wanted.

KClijsters
Oct 30th, 2006, 04:09 PM
the tennis ball that comes into contact with clay is heavier, and this does no good to her wrist

exactly :)

Filippo-Nastya
Oct 30th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Oh no! :(
I wanted to see her live next year in Rome...:sad:

MistyGrey
Oct 30th, 2006, 04:23 PM
"anymore" Does that mean she'll be playing in 2008 as well? coz she could've simply said "I wont play Rome next year"
OK maybe I'm just being optimistic

-Ph51-
Oct 30th, 2006, 04:29 PM
"anymore" Does that mean she'll be playing in 2008 as well? coz she could've simply said "I wont play Rome next year"

Very optimistic :lol:

Billabong
Oct 30th, 2006, 04:30 PM
the funny thing is, her attitude is reflected on court. 2005 she was so determined for every point, every ball. 2006, she seemed in different and like she didnt care. It was like after the 2005 US Open, she got her major, that's all she wanted.

Unfortunately it's true:sad: In RG against Henin-Hardenne, her attitude and lack of fight was absolutely shocking:eek: Her losses in Miami and Rome also showed it:sad:... But at Wimbledon she seemed to find her game again, she played really well there and in Stanford and San Diego she was awesome... Unfortunately, we all know what happened next:sad:

jimbo mack
Oct 30th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Why rome? what about warsaw and berlin?

or is she gonna give up clay all together? and play no tournies between miami and eastbourne?

it's a shame cuz she's very successful on this surface. yet she looked like she had no belief against justine in the semis of the french this year. on the other hand she was impressive when winning warsaw and looked all pumped up and positive when beating hingis in the french 1/4 finals

this girl puzzles me cuz she sends out so many mixed messages :confused:

Slumpsova
Oct 30th, 2006, 04:34 PM
had she said "I won't play Rome Next year", i'm sure you would go "oh this means she might play again in 2008 right? 'cuz she could've simply said "i won't play Rome anymore" :p

jimbo mack
Oct 30th, 2006, 04:37 PM

but she injured her ankle and wrist on hardcourts this year. so why doesnt she cut the american hardcourt season out of her schedule?

Barrie_Dude
Oct 30th, 2006, 04:50 PM
But Why?

MistyGrey
Oct 30th, 2006, 04:53 PM
had she said "I won't play Rome Next year", i'm sure you would go "oh this means she might play again in 2008 right? 'cuz she could've simply said "i won't play Rome anymore" :p

:lol::lol:

Yea maybe you are right! Like it was said earlier, I am being too optimistic!

.david.
Oct 30th, 2006, 04:55 PM
thats weird

<Sven>
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:01 PM
She'll play Hasselt, I'm sure (if not injured of course) ;)
I can't say I can blame her for not wanting to play gravel, she seems really determined to win wimbledon, and not playing gravel will give her an advantage on the rest of the pack...
good luck kimmy ;-)

TheItalianStyle
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:02 PM
I think she didn't speak about Berlin and Warsaw...cause she isn't probably gonna play those anymore either, right?
Because I think Rome's surface is the fastest of those 3, so...it would be the best for her!
Anywhere...I wish I could see her for the last time, but if she had to come here playing as this May in an awful way, she better skip the whole clay season...even if I think it's a stupid idea...

Sara81
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:02 PM
thats weird

Why is that weird? She didn't like the Rome tournament so I wasn't expecting her to play it again.

.david.
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Why is that weird? She didn't like the Rome tournament so I wasn't expecting her to play it again.

yeah i get that but what about RG? She doesnt like Berlin too so there is only Warschau as preperation. If she plays RG. Its just sad. A Grand Slam without Kim:o

wateva
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:06 PM
oh no... i know the clay is really tough on her body but i hope she does give it a try before she retires... :sad:

jimbo mack
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:07 PM
She didn't like the Rome tournament

interesting, do u know why? she was champion there in 03

Sara81
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:08 PM
yeah i get that but what about RG? She doesnt like Berlin too so there is only Warschau as preperation. If she plays RG. Its just sad. A Grand Slam without Kim:o

She just said she had to think about RG. Basicly I think she just does not want to take the risk to get injured again on clay and mis out on Wimbledon.

Sara81
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:11 PM
interesting, do u know why? she was champion there in 03

She had a bad allergic reaction there this year and it's on clay so I guess that's why she decided against it for 2007

Wannabeknowitall
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:22 PM

She has to think about Hasselt in 07?
When we first heard new about Kim retiring, she said Hasselt would be her last tourni in 2007.
Now she has to think about it?
That's a bit fucked up.
Kim can play on clay but like Serena, Lindsay, and Chanda, knee injuries have a tendency to come back on clay.

jimbo mack
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:26 PM
i like kim a lot but i wish she'd have a better attitude. she views her career too much as a hobby rather than a job and is too picky about where she will and wont play, like missing out on the olympics in 2004.

i can't wait til more events are made mandatory, but i suppose kim will be gone by then :sad:

hingis-seles
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Just like all the life-threatening injuries she keeps miraculously recovering from in 12 hours, Kim's scheduling/retirement plans seem like yet another rendition of her now famous "Cry Wolf" tune.

up!
Oct 30th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Waste of talent :(

Piotr'ek
Oct 30th, 2006, 08:36 PM
What about Warsaw :p

barryproudfoot
Oct 30th, 2006, 08:38 PM
she'll retire after Wimbledon I think, coz she said she was getting married then

Ben.
Oct 30th, 2006, 08:41 PM
despite her attitude towards the red stuff. i hope she gives it one more shot b4 she retires. who no's she could well win roland garros in 2007. please give it one more try kim.

No.1Hingis
Oct 30th, 2006, 08:46 PM
hey!! she is human .. so.. if she feels like she cant play that much in clay.. is for her best.. to be enough free of injures.. so... maybe is cause she'll get married but.. I guess she will finish the Tour '07.. just gonna take more time.. is not a bad idea.. even she has a personal live a side tennis...

einna
Oct 30th, 2006, 08:47 PM
oh.. farewell then.. seems like a prelude to formal announcement for retirement... too bad... she would still accomplish a lot.. she's really one of the top..

LoveFifteen
Oct 30th, 2006, 08:50 PM

She doesn't want to test positive for nadrolone. :tape:

tfannis
Oct 30th, 2006, 08:56 PM
she'll retire after Wimbledon I think, coz she said she was getting married then

If not injured, she'll certainly play tournaments after Wimbledon. She just doesn't know which ones. Within two weeks, all players need to hand their schedules from january untill july to the WTA. In March Kim will make up her mind about post-Wimbledon tourney's.

Oh and she said she is very motivated for next year. :)

Hagar
Oct 30th, 2006, 08:57 PM
It's a shame coz she's great on clay. But I think she thinks claying on clay brings the risk of injuries with it, so she wants to focus on the hard courts.
I will for the time being enjoy watching her in Hasselt and Madrid and not think about that dreaded retirement.

Slumpsova
Oct 30th, 2006, 09:08 PM
i highly doubt that. her motivation will go worse next year and possibly no more tournie after the wedding :o

~|Naomi|~
Oct 31st, 2006, 12:14 AM
Where are you all pulling this Kim won't play Rome talk???
She says here she may play it...but just that she wants to have a shorter clay season.
She hasn't set her schedule for post Wimbledon but according to her she is definitely playing somewhere.

“I play week by week, and each week I will see how things are going. You have to schedule your plans for the WTA twice a year, so I have made my plans until Wimbledon. After Wimbledon, I don’t know what tournaments I will be playing. I will be playing somewhere, but I have no schedule for that. It also depends on how we organize things for our marriage after Wimbledon.

Australia is important next year, and I will try to peak at Wimbledon as well. That means I will minimize the clay court tournaments. Clay courts always have been tough to play for me. I might play the Italian Open and Roland Garros and skip the rest of the clay courts.

http://www.teamwta.com/content/view/653/2/

mboyle
Oct 31st, 2006, 12:26 AM
I hope she gives it her all next year. She could seriously win two more majors. Imagine if she were the first player in the open era, man or woman, to retire as the no. 1 ranked player!:eek:

xin_hui
Oct 31st, 2006, 12:27 AM
Where are you all pulling this Kim won't play Rome talk???
She says here she may play it...but just that she wants to have a shorter clay season.
She hasn't set her schedule for post Wimbledon but according to her she is definitely playing somewhere.

http://www.teamwta.com/content/view/653/2/

i dont know, but she did say something about not playing rome. here:
http://www.vrtnieuws.net/nieuwsnet_master/versie2/sporza/nnII_sporza_start/index.shtml?fw=http://www.vrtnieuws.net/sport_master/tennis/wta_toernooien/061029Hasseltafzeggingen/index.html

~|Naomi|~
Oct 31st, 2006, 12:56 AM
i dont know, but she did say something about not playing rome. here:
http://www.vrtnieuws.net/nieuwsnet_master/versie2/sporza/nnII_sporza_start/index.shtml?fw=http://www.vrtnieuws.net/sport_master/tennis/wta_toernooien/061029Hasseltafzeggingen/index.html

Well then she needs to make her mind up:o :p
It just seems to be like Kim hasn't decided definitely which clay court events she will play or won't play. She wasn't going to play Rome this year but entered late.

Mileen
Oct 31st, 2006, 07:38 AM
Sources:
http://www.sportwereld.be/Article/Detail.aspx?ArticleID=GQL13TO64

Yes, she will definately drop Rome, is even thinking about dropping RG.
She won't play Fed Cup.
She wants to peak at Wimbledon.
The tournament she wants to win most is Antwerp.
After Wimbledon she will only play a few more tournaments.
I can't imagine she will sacrifice the American hard court season, her favorite time of the year.

Mileen
Oct 31st, 2006, 07:40 AM
I mean this url:

http://www.tennisinfo.be/nieuws/2756/Clijsters+vaart+een+andere+koers+in+2007.html

Ben.
Oct 31st, 2006, 08:00 AM
Sources:

Yes, she will definately drop Rome, is even thinking about dropping RG.
She won't play Fed Cup.
She wants to peak at Wimbledon.
The tournament she wants to win most is Antwerp.
After Wimbledon she will only play a few more tournaments.
I can't imagine she will sacrifice the American hard court season, her favorite time of the year.

thanks 4 that. i can imagine that she wants 2 win antwerp the most out of all the tourneys. i just really wish that she considers RG a go & at least put in a decent attempt 2 play well there & changes her attitude about RG completely. but it's her choice though.

the US hardcourt season, my my she would never skip that.

Ben.
Oct 31st, 2006, 08:01 AM
Imagine if she were the first player in the open era, man or woman, to retire as the no. 1 ranked player!:eek:

now that would be a nice way 4 kim 2 go out. i hope it does happen :)

xin_hui
Oct 31st, 2006, 08:08 AM
the US hardcourt season, my my she would never skip that.

well, while i dont see her skipping USO, it is quite realistic to believe she'll not be playing as many warm-up tournaments before it

Ben.
Oct 31st, 2006, 08:12 AM
well, while i dont see her skipping USO, it is quite realistic to believe she'll not be playing as many warm-up tournaments before it

yeah true, she'll probably skip a few USO warm-up tourneys. which ones do u reckon she will skip? personally i think L.A. will be one of them (no offence 2 any fans of kim who reside in L.A.)

xin_hui
Oct 31st, 2006, 08:19 AM
yeah true, she'll probably skip a few USO warm-up tourneys. which ones do u reckon she will skip? personally i think L.A. will be one of them (no offence 2 any fans of kim who reside in L.A.)

she already didnt play LA this year

Ben.
Oct 31st, 2006, 08:22 AM
she already didnt play LA this year

that's my reason why she'll skip L.A. in 2007. & chances r it could well happen.

jazzfuzion
Oct 31st, 2006, 09:29 AM
why don't she play on faster clay surfaces then

Ben.
Oct 31st, 2006, 09:34 AM
why don't she play on faster clay surfaces then

i don't really no why. usually the green clay court tourneys r after miami & kim would probably want 2 take a break in between those so that she can be ready 4 Roland Garros (that's if she decides 2 play RG in 2007) & the grass court events along with Wimbledon.

rhz
Oct 31st, 2006, 09:36 AM
I hope she will play in Bali before she retires. It would be perfect honeymoon week for her and brian

Sara81
Oct 31st, 2006, 12:01 PM
I hope she will play in Bali before she retires. It would be perfect honeymoon week for her and brian

I wouldn't count on it :help:
I think she will skip a few tournaments in the summer and then play the US open and some of her favorite tournaments ..

ewbangkok
Oct 31st, 2006, 12:53 PM
I don't think she will retire by next year...she might plays a few hard courts then skip clay then Wimby and back again around indoor tours

UpskirtFan
Oct 31st, 2006, 06:50 PM
If you´re right this is bad news, man! :(

But I hope Kim will play as many tournaments in 2007 as her body lets her, cause then she can say good bye to all her fans all over the world... :sad:

Do what is best for you and your health, baby! Please win another Grand Slam title. The Aussie Open would be a great opportunity. :bounce:

All the best for you Brian and your family plans. :wavey:

Ben.
Oct 31st, 2006, 06:54 PM
If Kim ended her career after Antwerp 2008, I hope she goes out with at least another slam title. She deserves 2 win more than just one in her career I should say.

:clap2: Kim all the way! :clap2:

Kart
Oct 31st, 2006, 06:56 PM
Well Kim appears to be serious that she's retiring so no real surprise that she's going to only play the tournaments she wants to in her final year.

Ben.
Oct 31st, 2006, 07:05 PM
Well Kim appears to be serious that she's retiring so no real surprise that she's going to only play the tournaments she wants to in her final year.

yeah true, well good on her i say :yeah:

i wish she could play 4 another few more years as she is still only young at 23& could achieve even greater success in her career. but 2 me she's already achieved enough success in her career in my heart :hearts: plus her health is more important than anything i suppose.

whatever happens, kim is still my no.1! :yeah: :rocker:

perseus2006
Oct 31st, 2006, 07:11 PM
Skipping the dirt season is an excellent decision for Kim. There is absolutely no reason for her to play on that treacherous surface.

The tennis gurus and pundits wail and whine about player injuries and yet force them to play on dirt with it's astronomically high injury incidence!!! The surface should be banned on the professional level, IMHO. It has hobbled enough athletes and ruined too many careers.

alfonsojose
Oct 31st, 2006, 07:20 PM

-Australian Open
-Antwerp
-Wimbledon
-Get Married
-Get Pregnant

Sidney IW and Miami :shrug:

Ben.
Oct 31st, 2006, 07:22 PM
Actually come 2 think of it, it would be smart of her 2 skip the clay court season so that she doesn't cause any more damage 2 her wrist or any other part of her body. fair enough, kim does not want 2 end her career with an injury due 2 playin on clay & i support her with that statement.

alfonsojose
Oct 31st, 2006, 07:23 PM
Skipping the dirt season is an excellent decision for Kim. There is absolutely no reason for her to play on that treacherous surface.

The tennis gurus and pundits wail and whine about player injuries and yet force them to play on dirt with it's astronomically high injury incidence!!! The surface should be banned on the professional level, IMHO. It has hobbled enough athletes and ruined too many careers.

Mmm .. Kim groundies aren't the finest out there. The slow, heavy ball on clay is a real test for your groundies. Don't blame the surface

alfonsojose
Oct 31st, 2006, 07:25 PM
But it's her choice of course and i don't blame her. I want her to win USO again (sorry, AO for Hingis :p )

Uranus
Oct 31st, 2006, 07:54 PM
Unfortunately Kim is not the player to count on in 2007 :sobbing:

I was hoping she be 100% focused on tennis for her last year, for her and the fans to keep a great memory of that amazing player and talent.
But it just won't happening... :sad:

Also I don't think she should show that much that she doesn't like clay, okay it's not good for her health but she has not to forget that it's on that surface that she broke through (RG 2001...)

Wannabeknowitall
Feb 9th, 2007, 01:35 AM
So Kim was back to healthy during this time and she already had a defeatist attitude towards playing on clay.
Now Kim has a "sore hip" and she's skipping tournaments that never really seemed to look that great for her anyway.
So she's got a little sore hip and now doesn't feel she can play on the clay.
It's like a girl who stubs her toe and decides she can't come to work at her desk job.

Wannabeknowitall
Feb 9th, 2007, 01:43 AM
She's had great success on clay?

She lost to Davenport at RG :help:

She's made it to two Roland Garros finals.
She's only made the finals twice of another slam, the US Open.

She's had enough success to not skip it.

frontier
Feb 9th, 2007, 02:52 AM
this girl needs to go away and stay retired,her farewell has been too long if she wants to go why not go now and stay gone.
I hope that guy is not marrying for her money,she will end up coughing up $7mil like evert.its not like he is in the nba,he is in a belgian league for godsake.I hope she wont be played by this opportunist.

tennisbum79
Feb 9th, 2007, 02:57 AM
She enjoys sliding and spliting on hardcourt, not clay:lol:

SelesFan70
Feb 9th, 2007, 03:10 AM

-Australian Open
-Antwerp
-Wimbledon
-Get Married
-Get Pregnant

And what's wrong with that? :rolleyes: