PDA

View Full Version : Trip to the US Open

honeyke
Oct 30th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Hey guys:wavey: ,

I want to go to the US Open sooner or later...I´d love to come to New York next year,but I don´t think that I´ll have the money for the trip then. But maybe then in 2008.

What about costs? How much money do I need for one week being at the US Open? What about hotels? And does maybe anybody from Germany have an idea about the air fare from Germany to the US?
:confused:

FaceyFacem
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:14 PM
there are really good package deals on tickets for the US Open, if you just check on the website... but i think most tickets come via ticketmaster so it could be tough for internationals to get them... totally worth going week 1, the grounds are easy to walk and it's a good atmosphere

staying in NYC will be pricey, it's better to find a cheaper hotel out of the city if you can afford a car rental, otherwise look for one of the few cheap hostels in the city and plan for a long but cheap subway ride to Flushing

honeyke
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:23 PM
thanks for the information :)...and how long before the tournament starts should i buy the tickets? I imagine that they are sold out quite early...

clonesheep
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Hey guys:wavey: ,

I want to go to the US Open sooner or later...Id love to come to New York next year,but I dont think that Ill have the money for the trip then. But maybe then in 2008.

What about costs? How much money do I need for one week being at the US Open? What about hotels? And does maybe anybody from Germany have an idea about the air fare from Germany to the US?
:confused:

For budget travelers, it's possible to find hotels at around (or under) $100 a night in New York area. Public transportation is very convenient to and from USTA site. The subway/metro train lines go directly to the door of the tennis center and trains run all day long until after the last match is finished. A weekly pass for subway is (if I remember correctly) a little over $20. Not too bad I think.

Although you can buy US Open tickets from on-line brokers, they are way over-priced (sometimes 2 or 3 times face value). The way to go is directly buy tickets from official ticket seller (Ticketmaster, or the USTA box office) at face value. (I don't know if ticketmaster.com sell tickets to oversea buyers. You can check that. If they do, it's the most convenient way to buy tickets at face value.) In any case, except for Labor Day weekend and the last two days, US Open seldom sell out. You can buy tickets after you have arrived in the U.S., just before or during the tournement. (Once in the U.S., you can go to any Ticketmaster outlet and buy UP Open tickets at face value, as easy as buying an orange in a grocery store.) There are also new tickets on sale every morning at the tennis center box office. A ground pass costs about $40-$45 per day for the first week. A cheap Arthur Ashe ticket (mostly used as a ground pass -- most actions are on the outside courts during first week) is about $55-65 for the first week.

clonesheep
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:56 PM
thanks for the information :)...and how long before the tournament starts should i buy the tickets? I imagine that they are sold out quite early...

US Open tickets for Labor Day weekend (the middle Saturday-Monday) sold out rather quickly, but for the rest of the tournement tickets are usually available right before and during the tournament. For example, there's usually no problem buying a ground pass or a cheap Arthur Ashe ticket for the first 4 days of the tournement. Tuesday-Wednesday of second week also seldom sell out for cheap seats at Ashe stadium.

If you plan to attend US Open during Labor Day weekend it's ideal to buy tickets in advance (by ticketmaster.com -- remember that's the official seller where you can buy tix at face value), right after they are on-sale around July. If you are coming for other dates, it's not as urgent to buy tix in advance. See my previous post. Good luck...

honeyke
Nov 7th, 2006, 10:51 AM
good to know.thanks a lot:)

FaceyFacem
Nov 7th, 2006, 01:39 PM
US Open tickets for Labor Day weekend (the middle Saturday-Monday) sold out rather quickly, but for the rest of the tournement tickets are usually available right before and during the tournament. For example, there's usually no problem buying a ground pass or a cheap Arthur Ashe ticket for the first 4 days of the tournement. Tuesday-Wednesday of second week also seldom sell out for cheap seats at Ashe stadium.

If you plan to attend US Open during Labor Day weekend it's ideal to buy tickets in advance (by ticketmaster.com -- remember that's the official seller where you can buy tix at face value), right after they are on-sale around July. If you are coming for other dates, it's not as urgent to buy tix in advance. See my previous post. Good luck...

yeah, during the french open i usually check to see if the tickets are on sale yet...