PDA

View Full Version : Who else would love Amélie & JHH to be drawn in the same group @ YEC?

willrock
Oct 30th, 2006, 12:22 AM
I'd love it so that even if Amé doesn't stay #1 she proves everyone she would have deserved the honor by beating the devil.
Okay this is an Amélie worshipping thread (& kinda a JHH hating thread :devil: ) :p
Who shares my point of view? :D

franny
Oct 30th, 2006, 12:26 AM
I too would like them to meet, but I'd like to see Justine beat Mauresmo. Actually, ideally, I'd like for Sharapova and Henin to be placed in the same group. My ideal group would be Sharapova, Henin, Dementieva, and Clijsters. Just cuz I'd love to see Maria beat all those players. But yea, a Mauresmo-Henin group won't be too bad.

willrock
Oct 30th, 2006, 12:31 AM
I'd like these both groups to be drawn :
>Amélie, JHH, Clijsters, Hingis
>Maria, Sveta, Petrova, Dementieva

So let's say Russia in one group & an all former world #1s in the other.
It'd be awesome! :rocker2:

LindsayRulz
Oct 30th, 2006, 01:14 AM
It will not surprise me if it happens. Maria has always the easier draw

tennnisfannn
Oct 30th, 2006, 01:18 AM
doesn't make a difference, it isn't an elimination rd, they could draw each other and still make the finals

maddogz48
Oct 30th, 2006, 01:26 AM
Amelie & Justine are actually going to be in the same group. Based on the rankings (not the race rankings), the players will be seeded in the following groups for the YEC.

Group A:
Mauresmo (#1)
Henin (#3)
Petrova (#5)
Dementieva (#7)

Group B:
Sharapova (#2)
Kuznetsova (#4)
Clijsters (#6)
Hingis (#8)

Buitenzorg
Oct 30th, 2006, 01:28 AM
I thought they will use the RACE Ranking to determine the seeding procedure?

if they do, then it's impossible for Amelie & Justine to be in the same group!

brayster87
Oct 30th, 2006, 01:57 AM
I certainly don't

new-york
Oct 30th, 2006, 02:02 AM
hopefully, some great matches.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Oct 30th, 2006, 02:07 AM
Amelie & Justine are actually going to be in the same group. Based on the rankings (not the race rankings), the players will be seeded in the following groups for the YEC.

Group A:
Mauresmo (#1)
Henin (#3)
Petrova (#5)
Dementieva (#7)

Group B:
Sharapova (#2)
Kuznetsova (#4)
Clijsters (#6)
Hingis (#8)

I don't really get it... why don't they seed the players based on the race rankings...? :confused:

Anyway, I can accept Justine and Amelie in the same group... but if Sharapova and Hingis is also in the same group, it's going to be a huge nightmare. Imagine a group with two 5-times GS winners (Justine & Martina) and two 2-times GS winners (Maria & Amelie).... :help:

It will be a total waste if that ever happens....

thrust
Oct 30th, 2006, 02:07 AM
Do they use the Race rankings or the regular rankings, to determine the seeding?

TennizFan
Oct 30th, 2006, 03:02 AM
2006 YEC rules are as follows:

Seeding: Players will be seeded based on the WTA Rankings current the week prior to the YEC.

Draw: #1 will be in Group A and #2 will be in Group B (no draw here). To determine the placement of the remaining seeds, draws will be in pairs as follows:
- #3 and #4 (first drawn seed is placed in Group A and the other goes to Group B)
- #5 and #6 (first drawn seed is placed in Group A and the other goes to Group B)
- #7 and #8 (first drawn seed is placed in Group A and the other goes to Group B)

ZeroSOFInfinity
Oct 30th, 2006, 04:14 AM
^^^

So that means Amelie and Justine will avoid each other at least until the semifinals?

Guess both players would be praying hard to avoid Maria being in the same group with them :tape:

mdsc8
Oct 30th, 2006, 04:18 AM
sick of them always in the finals. :rolleyes:

Bayo
Oct 30th, 2006, 04:53 AM
I wanna see another Maria/Kim match.

Did Maria truly break the streak in San Diego? I'm curious.

She's played Amazing post-USO (save Moscow), so one could imagine she'd be the favorite. Clijsters would be off the injury mend and could Maria be fatigued? That's what crossing my fingers to see.

To answer the original question, I would have liked to have seen Amelie and Justine in the same group to ensure another match, but I guess that's not possible.

Ben.
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:05 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Amelie & Justine being drawn in the same group but personally i would prefer Maria & Justine. Dunno why, just more interesting i guess when u put two of the most mentally tough players on the tour duking it out.

This is out of the topic but these r the ideal groups that i would prefer 2 see:

GROUP A
Amelie
Sveta
Nadia
Martina

GROUP B
Maria
Justine
Kim
Elena

Note: Just in case if any1's forgotten, they determine the seedings 4 the YEC by the WTA Rankings NOT the Race Rankings. All tournament seedings in every tournament whether a Grand Slam or YEC is determined by WTA Rankings.

perseus2006
Oct 30th, 2006, 06:32 AM
According to TennizFan's post (#12), WTA Rankings are used from the week before the YEC. Does this mean the Oct 30 Rankings, the actual week before, or the Nov 6 Rankings, the week of the tournament? I believe it means the Rankings on Nov 6, which means that Ame's Philly points, 195 points, come off before the Rankings for the YEC are finalized but leaves 2005 YEC points in the rankings.

So here are the Oct 30 rankings for a base:

Rankings Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Singles Rankings (as of Oct 30, 2006)

Cur Prv Name/Country Rank Pts Qual Pts Tours
1 (1) MAURESMO, AMELIE FRA 3741.00 0.00 18
2 (3) SHARAPOVA, MARIA RUS 3532.00 0.00 15
3 (2) HENIN-HARDENNE, JUSTINE BEL 3473.00 0.00 12
4 (4) KUZNETSOVA, SVETLANA RUS 2468.00 0.00 21
5 (5) PETROVA, NADIA RUS 2228.00 0.00 25
6 (6) CLIJSTERS, KIM BEL 1990.00 0.00 14
7 (7) DEMENTIEVA, ELENA RUS 1963.00 0.00 22
8 (8) HINGIS, MARTINA SUI 1913.00 0.00 19

On Nov 6, the rankings will be the same, Kim's adventure in Hasselt is for match practice, the maximum points she can earn cannot close the gap between her and Nadia. Removing Ame's points from 2005 Philly is bolded.

Anticipated Nov 6 WTA Rankings (with Kim's points not adjusted).

1 (1) MAURESMO, AMELIE FRA 3741.00 - 195= 3546 0.00 18

So, Pova and Ame will head the two groups for the round robin!

JHH and Kuzy will be split between the groups by random draw.
Petrova and Kim will be split.
Elena and Hingis will be split.

I think this is correct according to post #12 guidelines!?! Please provide feedback, if not. This includes bg's points correction from Post #19.

Pova can control her quest for Year End #1 only if she meets JHH in the SemiFinals. Otherwise she has to rely on others to take JHH out at or before the semi's! If JHH reaches the Final, she is Year End #1.

This is going to be an incredible tournament!

msharafan
Oct 30th, 2006, 07:46 AM
so either way maria is going to be number one this year is that what your saying?

Ben.
Oct 30th, 2006, 07:47 AM
According to TennizFan's post (#12), WTA Rankings are used from the week before the YEC. Does this mean the Oct 30 Rankings, the actual week before, or the Nov 6 Rankings, the week of the tournament? I believe it means the Rankings on Nov 6, which means that Ame's Philly points, 280 points, come off before the Rankings for the YEC are finalized but leaves 2005 YEC points in the rankings. But this is enough to dramatically change the top 3 positions.

So here are the Oct 30 rankings for a base:

Rankings Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Singles Rankings (as of Oct 30, 2006)

1 (1) MAURESMO, AMELIE FRA 3741.00 0.00 18

On Nov 6, the rankings will be the same except for the top 3, Kim's adventure in Hasselt is for match practice, the maximum points she can earn cannot close the gap between her and Nadia. Removing Ame's points from 2005 Philly is bolded.

Anticipated Nov 6 WTA Rankings (with Kim's points not adjusted).

1 (3) SHARAPOVA, MARIA RUS 3532.00 0.00 15
2 (2) HENIN-HARDENNE, JUSTINE BEL 3473.00 0.00 12
3 (1) MAURESMO, AMELIE FRA 3741.00 - 280= 3461 0.00 18

So, Pova will be #1 for the week! She and JHH will head the two groups for the round robin!

Ame and Kuzy will be split between the groups by random draw.
Petrova and Km will be split.
Elena and Hingis will be split.

I think this is correct according to post #12 guidelines!?! Please provide feedback, if not.

In this case, Pova can control her quest for Year End #1 only if she meets JHH in the SemiFinals. Otherwise she has to rely on others to take JHH out at or before the semi's! If JHH reaches the Final, she is Year End #1.

This is going to be an incredible tournament!

eh, your wrong there about sharapova taking the no.1 ranking goin in2 the YEC. amelie's 280 pts from last year's philly u mentioned were 195 winner pts + 85 quality pts which equals 280 pts & quality pts can't be earnt anymore. so there4 amelie only loses 195 pts & her total will still be enough over maria.

u get me there.

Equipped
Oct 30th, 2006, 07:54 AM
eh, your wrong there about sharapova taking the no.1 ranking goin in2 the YEC. amelie's 280 pts from last year's philly u mentioned were 195 winner pts + 85 quality pts which equals 280 pts & quality pts can't be earnt anymore. so there4 amelie only loses 195 pts & her total will still be enough over maria.

u get me there.

This is true. Amelie will still be seeded #1 for the YEC, and Sharapova will be #2. After that, I wouldn't be so sure that all 8 of these ladies will actually play. I'm expecting to see at least Schnyder come off the bench to replace one of the Belgians. (Of course it would be better if they are both healthy to play---no offense to Patty!)

Ben.
Oct 30th, 2006, 08:08 AM
I wouldn't be so sure that all 8 of these ladies will actually play. I'm expecting to see at least Schnyder come off the bench to replace one of the Belgians. (Of course it would be better if they are both healthy to play---no offense to Patty!)

yeah, i wouldn't be surprised if schnyder came out & replaced one of the eight players. hope kim & justine r both healthy when they play & that they don't get replaced.

plus if schnyder did come in, it would be the 1st time ever with the Round Robin format of the YEC that some1 replaced another player. Note: Round Robin format of YEC came out in 2003.

perseus2006
Oct 30th, 2006, 08:10 AM
so either way maria is going to be number one this year is that what your saying?

Well, no! Look at bg017's post. Ame remains #1 for the week of the YEC. The 280 points in the WTA files is really only 195 without the quality points. This is about the 4th time this year I have been snarked by that sort of thing!!!

I'll make the correction in the original post.

The Crow
Oct 30th, 2006, 08:24 AM
2006 YEC rules are as follows:

Seeding: Players will be seeded based on the WTA Rankings current the week prior to the YEC.

Draw: #1 will be in Group A and #2 will be in Group B (no draw here). To determine the placement of the remaining seeds, draws will be in pairs as follows:
- #3 and #4 (first drawn seed is placed in Group A and the other goes to Group B)
- #5 and #6 (first drawn seed is placed in Group A and the other goes to Group B)
- #7 and #8 (first drawn seed is placed in Group A and the other goes to Group B)

This is what I would expect. It's basically the same procedure as for every other tourney.

Ben.
Oct 30th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Well, no! Look at bg017's post. Ame remains #1 for the week of the YEC. The 280 points in the WTA files is really only 195 without the quality points. This is about the 4th time this year I have been snarked by that sort of thing!!!

I'll make the correction in the original post.

thanks 4 that, i really appreciate it. it irks me 2 that some people haven't caught on with the ranking pts issue.

Kimster
Oct 30th, 2006, 08:52 AM
I'd like these both groups to be drawn :
>Amélie, JHH, Clijsters, Hingis
>Maria, Sveta, Petrova, Dementieva

So let's say Russia in one group & an all former world #1s in the other.
It'd be awesome! :rocker2:

Ain't not gonna happen. :)

Kimster
Oct 30th, 2006, 09:04 AM
I haven't read anywhere yet that Justine will actually be competing. She's still not sure.

Also i read that Kim wants to wait and see how her wrist holds in Hasselt....

Amélie could catch a really bad cold.

Masha could have a bad hair day, get depressed and never make it to Madrid.

Sveta could break a leg chasing invisible balls.

Nadia could suffocate on the little bear she got yesterday.

Elena could leave on an expedition to find her serve.

And Martina might get trampled by a horse doing whatever she does with them.... :shrug:

If all these things happen we would actually get a really interesting YEC. :)

Patty, Nicole, Dinara, Janky, Anna, Ana, Francesca AND Anastasia. My bet would be on Francesca finally winning a tourney : THE YEC NONETHELESS. :)

:kiss:

All in good fun, peace. ;)

Kimster
Oct 30th, 2006, 03:51 PM
:wavey:

Lefty.
Oct 30th, 2006, 03:55 PM
I haven't read anywhere yet that Justine will actually be competing. She's still not sure.

Also i read that Kim wants to wait and see how her wrist holds in Hasselt....

Amélie could catch a really bad cold.

Masha could have a bad hair day, get depressed and never make it to Madrid.

Sveta could break a leg chasing invisible balls.

Nadia could suffocate on the little bear she got yesterday.

Elena could leave on an expedition to find her serve.

And Martina might get trampled by a horse doing whatever she does with them.... :shrug:

If all these things happen we would actually get a really interesting YEC. :)

Patty, Nicole, Dinara, Janky, Anna, Ana, Francesca AND Anastasia. My bet would be on Francesca finally winning a tourney : THE YEC NONETHELESS. :)

:kiss:

All in good fun, peace. ;)

:haha: :haha: :haha: :lol: :lol: :lol:

treufreund
Oct 30th, 2006, 04:25 PM
I want Maria, Kuznetsova, Amelie and Kim in one group.

With Justine, Elena, Martina and Nadia in the other group :) :haha:

barryproudfoot
Oct 30th, 2006, 04:29 PM
group 1 - mauresmo, hingis, petrova, clijsters
group 2 - henin, dementieva, sharapova, kuznetsova

:cool:

vejh
Oct 30th, 2006, 04:43 PM
I would love for Amelie and JHH to be in the same group. Maria is the one that scares me.lol. Maria's serve is all of a sudden so tough to break (if it's anything like at USO finals) and that will give the little Henin trouble, so i prefer them to duke it out in the finals only. I hope JHH and KC plays for sure.

j-fan
Oct 30th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Seeding at the YEC will be based on the tour ranking points accumulated prior to the championship which is equal to the race points. So Justine and Maria will be seeded 1 and 2, heading Groups A and B, respectively. Seeds three and four will then be drawn to play in either Group A or B, and so on.

So Justine and Maria won't meet in the round-robin. Amelie can be in A or B.

j-fan
Oct 30th, 2006, 06:05 PM
I would love for Amelie and JHH to be in the same group. Maria is the one that scares me.lol. Maria's serve is all of a sudden so tough to break (if it's anything like at USO finals) and that will give the little Henin trouble, so i prefer them to duke it out in the finals only. I hope JHH and KC plays for sure.

If Justine plays in the final she will be the year end #1, regardless of the outcome. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

MistyGrey
Oct 30th, 2006, 06:16 PM
I'd like that too. Revenge time for Justine :devil:

GoDominique
Oct 30th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Seeding at the YEC will be based on the tour ranking points accumulated prior to the championship which is equal to the race points. So Justine and Maria will be seeded 1 and 2, heading Groups A and B, respectively. Seeds three and four will then be drawn to play in either Group A or B, and so on.

Wrong. They seed after WTA Tour rankings which still include last year's YEC.

j-fan
Oct 30th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Wrong. They seed after WTA Tour rankings which still include last year's YEC.

Not sure about that. You could be right but that won't make sense - why qualify based on race points and then seed based on race point plus last year's points at the YEC (that is the only difference between race points and tour points at this time of the year except where players played more than 17 tournaments in the current year.)

:confused:

The Crow
Oct 30th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Qualifying is obviously only taking into account the results of this year. Seeding takes into account how the players did in last year YEC, which makes sense imo cause this says something about they chance of doing good this year as well... It's like when you seed for Wimbledon for example. It makes sense you take into account last year's Wimbledon when you determine the seeds.

vejh
Oct 30th, 2006, 07:15 PM
And if the player never played the YEC last year?

Kimster
Oct 30th, 2006, 07:26 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:hatoff:

Kimster
Oct 30th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Qualifying is obviously only taking into account the results of this year. Seeding takes into account how the players did in last year YEC, which makes sense imo cause this says something about they chance of doing good this year as well... It's like when you seed for Wimbledon for example. It makes sense you take into account last year's Wimbledon when you determine the seeds.

ROFL at your sig!!!! :worship:

The Crow
Oct 30th, 2006, 08:06 PM
And if the player never played the YEC last year?

You're thinking about someone in particular? ;)

It's the same for other tourneys...

Uranus
Oct 30th, 2006, 08:20 PM
I'd love it so that even if Amé doesn't stay #1 she proves everyone she would have deserved the honor by beating the devil.
Okay this is an Amélie worshipping thread (& kinda a JHH hating thread :devil: ) :p

So disrespectful, you should keep your stupid threads for yourself

Go Justine kick their asses! #1 is so close!

Ben.
Oct 30th, 2006, 08:37 PM

i'am certain that they do the seedings 4 the YEC by the WTA Rankings. i'll have a look at the WTA website later on 2 find out how they do the seedings etc.

j-fan
Oct 30th, 2006, 08:55 PM
i'am certain that they do the seedings 4 the YEC by the WTA Rankings. i'll have a look at the WTA website later on 2 find out how they do the seedings etc.

I have read the rules and it is totally unclear and very poorly written. My interpretation is that seeding is based all the points from all the tournaments players earned this year up to the YEC. This means last year's YEC points are not included. And those are exactly the race points.

Also learned that the WTA reserves the right to appoint the eighth player at its sole discretion regardless of race points. I guess that is to make the exception for someone who won 4 GS and did not qualify on race points.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

MinnyGophers
Oct 30th, 2006, 09:20 PM

Well she did kinda of beat her twice already this year ;)

Ben.
Oct 30th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Also learned that the WTA reserves the right to appoint the eighth player at its sole discretion regardless of race points. I guess that is to make the exception for someone who won 4 GS and did not qualify on race points.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I knew that rule already.