PDA

View Full Version : Martina's second half of the year

brent-o
Oct 29th, 2006, 10:09 PM
What do you guys think attributes to Martina's less than stellar form since Wimbledon? I was thinking about this, because I went back and watched some of Martina's match from the Aussie Open earlier this year. She played with so much confidence, and I think early on in her comeback she surprised even herself. I think maybe she was shocked at how well she was playing and became a little overconfident to the extent that players who months earlier she was beating easily (i.e. Sugiyama), she EXPECTED to win rather than actually implementing her game (i.e. she was instead overhitting, going for too much). At least I can honestly say she's improved her serve a great deal since the beginning of the year. But she needs that extra, confident spark back. Incidentally, the same spark my other fave, Dementieva, needs to rekindle also. Oh well, I hope they both can do some damage at the YEC.

Billabong
Oct 29th, 2006, 10:23 PM
We discussed a lot about it already, many threads have been created recently;) Her game has let her down quite a bit since her loss to Sugiyama, in Montreal, Kolkata and Zurich she played very well but apart from that it has been very ordinary... I also think she could have chosen a better schedule, especially during the indoors season! Let's hope things will get better in Madrid:)

spencercarlos
Oct 29th, 2006, 10:35 PM
What do you guys think attributes to Martina's less than stellar form since Wimbledon? I was thinking about this, because I went back and watched some of Martina's match from the Aussie Open earlier this year. She played with so much confidence, and I think early on in her comeback she surprised even herself. I think maybe she was shocked at how well she was playing and became a little overconfident to the extent that players who months earlier she was beating easily (i.e. Sugiyama), she EXPECTED to win rather than actually implementing her game (i.e. she was instead overhitting, going for too much). At least I can honestly say she's improved her serve a great deal since the beginning of the year. But she needs that extra, confident spark back. Incidentally, the same spark my other fave, Dementieva, needs to rekindle also. Oh well, I hope they both can do some damage at the YEC.
Great thread indeed, full of new info..
Discuss people :)