PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't Martina Hingis just hire a serve coach?

Morrissey
Oct 29th, 2006, 05:41 PM
I think the only flaw in Martina Hingis game is her lack of a good serve. The first serve is okay not great but the second serve is garbage. Why doesn't Martina hire someone a tennis coach video tape her serve. And find a way to improve the serve. The lack of a good serve is holding Martina back from winning another slam. I don't think Martina is focusing on being no.1 again I believe she wants to add more slams to her collection. And since Martina wants more slams she has to take a serious look at her game and realize her serve is holding her back.

-Ph51-
Oct 29th, 2006, 05:44 PM
It might be a bit late to improve it consequently.

morningglory
Oct 29th, 2006, 05:49 PM
if it were that easy...

Brashkoala
Oct 29th, 2006, 10:06 PM
its more mental than anything. she knows why she does not have a good serve, but she is comfortable serving the way she has served for the last ten years. i think it's a bit dumb, but martina will do what she thinks is best.

it's all about the toss. if martina had a lower toss, she would not have to stop her racket momentum in waiting for the ball to drop, and therefore could have a better serve.

Ben.
Oct 29th, 2006, 10:15 PM
think we should ask the same question to Elena Dementieva bout hiring a serve coach full time.

martina, it's a mental block that is halting her ability 2 serve well.

brent-o
Oct 29th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Funny, I thought her serve has improved (particularly the second serve).

Billabong
Oct 29th, 2006, 10:19 PM
If you saw Martina in Zurich, you would have seen a very good improvement with her serves. She served generally beautifully in all her 3 matches, hit many aces (sometimes twice in a row) and developped a less attackable second serve. Of course it's still her main weakness, but her first serve has improved a lot from 2002 (she can well hit over 100 MPH now, which she wasn't able to do before), and Kuznetsova was really unable to attack her second serve in Zurich, which was very positive I think:) Also, when Martina's first serve is on, it can work very well for her:)

!<blocparty>!
Oct 29th, 2006, 10:20 PM
She needs more than just a serve coach. :( Her game doesn't match up well enough against the powerful Russian babes, etc. :(

Bayo
Oct 29th, 2006, 10:26 PM
I think those that speculate it's a mental issue may be right. I've heard numerous tennis commentators say that they've seen her practice, and she actually hits her serve much harder then than when she's playing a match.

I guess once the going gets tough she loses a little bit of her nerve and just tries to stay in the point by making sure she lands the ball in the court.

I'll be interested to see how she performs at the YEC. Maybe going into it, knowing she's playing the (current) top 7 in the world, she'll commit to taking a few more chances.

Time will tell I suppose.

Billabong
Oct 29th, 2006, 10:28 PM
I'll be interested to see how she performs at the YEC. Maybe going into it, knowing she's playing the (current) top 7 in the world, she'll commit to taking a few more chances.

Time will tell I suppose.

She also might believe more in her chances, knowing most of the players won't be 100%;) It's a very good occasion for her to get some confidence going hopefully:)

spencercarlos
Oct 29th, 2006, 10:37 PM
I think the only flaw in Martina Hingis game is her lack of a good serve. The first serve is okay not great but the second serve is garbage. Why doesn't Martina hire someone a tennis coach video tape her serve. And find a way to improve the serve. The lack of a good serve is holding Martina back from winning another slam. I don't think Martina is focusing on being no.1 again I believe she wants to add more slams to her collection. And since Martina wants more slams she has to take a serious look at her game and realize her serve is holding her back.
It´s not her serve the only flaw, she needs to work in a lot of aspects of her game before she can expect to win another grand slam, it won´t be that easy.

Steffica Greles
Oct 29th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Martina Hingis has the best brains in tennis. She must be too intelligent. That can be the only possible explanation.

:D

Steffica Greles
Oct 29th, 2006, 10:39 PM

Mate, go back to the c2000 archives and I'm sure you'll find the same discussion there.:)

spencercarlos
Oct 29th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Martina Hingis has the best brains in tennis. She must be too intelligent. That can be the only possible explanation.

:D
Hingis certainly has improved her first serve, she must go for more in her second serve.

Mother_Marjorie
Oct 29th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Okay.

She's served the same way since she was 16 years old. She's hits the same as well.

If she hasn't changed it by now, what makes you think she's going to change anything?

Billabong
Oct 29th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Indeed, this serve coach thing has been discussed by many commentators at least since 2000;)

No Name Face
Oct 29th, 2006, 11:23 PM
It's mental. The same can be said for Elena Dementieva. They're professional athletes...if they can't put a ball over the net at 100mph, then :help:

Lunaris
Oct 29th, 2006, 11:27 PM
It's not that simple, just to hire a coach and do miracles after some time. The quality of your serve depends on many things, which you can't affect - height, the length of your arm, body shape. Weight and strength are also important and Martina has improved it pretty nicely. Maybe she should do something with her technique and use the whole body more than she actually does, but in her age hmm hmm very hard to change anything.

LoveFifteen
Oct 29th, 2006, 11:31 PM
The serve is the hardest shot to do well when you're not feeling confident.

Marcus1979
Oct 30th, 2006, 01:49 AM
why is everyone so harsh on Martina?

I don't get it :shrug: :confused:

darrinbaker00
Oct 30th, 2006, 01:54 AM
It might be a bit late to improve it consequently.
Nonsense. As long as Hingis is alive, she can improve. That being said, I hope she doesn't, because I can't stand her.

brent-o
Oct 30th, 2006, 02:19 AM
Nonsense. As long as Hingis is alive, she can improve. That being said, I hope she doesn't, because I can't stand her.

:lol: well at least you're honest...

Mother_Marjorie
Oct 30th, 2006, 02:23 AM
Nonsense. As long as Hingis is alive, she can improve.

I dunno.

She isn't playing any differently this year, than she did before she retired.

Marcus Jordan
Oct 30th, 2006, 03:12 AM
Molitor already tried remodelling Martina's serve but Martina's muscle memory of her childhood technique was so strong they couldn't change her movements. :p

Bayo
Oct 30th, 2006, 03:33 AM
I dunno.

She isn't playing any differently this year, than she did before she retired.
Well, when she first came back and I saw her play at the Aussie, IW and RG (the only TV coverage of her I got to see), she actually looked like she had improved her forehand from her pre-retirement years. Of course, her results haven't been as pristine in the post-Wimbledon months.

That being said, I admit the serve is an entirely different issue.

But with all this talk of what she'll be able to do at the YEC, I still think it's pretty remarkable that she will even be a part of it. Lots of commentators and players questioned whether she could ever even crack the Top-15 again.

Marcus Jordan
Oct 30th, 2006, 03:48 AM
I just think Australia motivates her more than other countries. When she plays there she is very aggressive. Either that or she simply feels very confident on Rebound Ace which she has in her backyard. She's won 3 AOs so its likely she just has so many great memories there it gives her confidence to go for her shots.

thomas.chung
Oct 30th, 2006, 04:44 AM
its more mental than anything. she knows why she does not have a good serve, but she is comfortable serving the way she has served for the last ten years. i think it's a bit dumb, but martina will do what she thinks is best.

it's all about the toss. if martina had a lower toss, she would not have to stop her racket momentum in waiting for the ball to drop, and therefore could have a better serve.

This is very much the situation like Dementieva (and mind you Dementieva DID work with a serving coach before), I remember once Pam or Mary Joe said that Martina is capable of hitting those serves, but she chose not to. Similar to Dementieva, she knows and she can hit normal second serve, but psychologically it is very hard cause Dementieva got used to hitting those frisby second serves.

Sally Struthers
Oct 30th, 2006, 04:51 AM
she's stubborn and arrogant.

I still love her though :kiss: :lol:

moby
Oct 30th, 2006, 06:05 AM

:DI don't know why you're always on about this. The smartest player on the court isn't necessarily the most prolific, or successful. The same goes for any arena you choose outside tennis, even in the academic fields where you'd think natural intelligence is even more important. :shrug:

I'm sure Martina knows what she needs to do. It's another matter altogether whether she can execute under pressure.

Orion
Oct 30th, 2006, 07:58 AM
I think her reluctance to take chances on her 2nd serve stems from something different: she HATES to make mistakes. She doesn't mind having a player hit a great winner against her, one that nobody could have done anything about, but she is extremely irratated at any error on her part, and double faulting is included. That's why, during warm ups, she rotates from side to side on every two serves, mimicking actual play, but has a killer 2nd serve: it doesn't matter in practice. In a match, though, she doesn't do it like that because it hurts mentally to lose on a 2nd serve by double faulting rather than being outplayed.

barryproudfoot
Oct 30th, 2006, 08:04 AM
her serve is not great, but so what, she's not a one-dimensional player with a good serve, she is a wonderful player with many attributes, but still she rarely ever DFs, and can hit a few aces a game, so lay off her serve haters :armed:

Marcus Jordan
Oct 30th, 2006, 08:18 AM
:armed: :armed: :armed: :armed: :armed: YEAH :shout: