PDA

View Full Version : Which current active player is most likely to go into commentating after retirement?

njnetswill
Oct 29th, 2006, 04:38 PM
What do you guys think?

Mother_Marjorie
Oct 29th, 2006, 04:44 PM
What do you guys think?

Lindsay has a pleasant broadcasting voice.
Mary is blonde.
Jennifer is Jennifer.

Either three of them could do it. However, it might take wrestling Mary Carillo out of her broadcast booth chair and kicking her in the stomach to have the opportunity.

Wiggly
Oct 29th, 2006, 04:53 PM
No Davenport. Not enough entertaining.
Pierce talks about God and that's it.

Maybe Jennifer.

For Europe, Myskina could be good when she retires:lol:

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 29th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Russia already has Lina Krasnoroutskaya, 10 yrs sooner than it should have been :sobbing: :bigcry:

vogus
Oct 29th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Lindsay has a pleasant broadcasting voice.
Mary is blonde.
Jennifer is Jennifer.

Either three of them could do it. However, it might take wrestling Mary Carillo out of her broadcast booth chair and kicking her in the stomach to have the opportunity.

:lol:

Pierce's overt religiosity is so annoying and imo she is one of the most boring personalities imaginable. That doesn't disqualify her from tennis commentating though. :o

I don't think Capriati would be interested. So Davenport would be the best choice out of those 3. Chanda Rubin would be better than all of them.

MH0861
Oct 29th, 2006, 05:08 PM
I don't think Lindsay will be willing to travel around the country, let alone to the slams, to be a regular commentator. Once she retires, I think she's going to live a quiet life and start a family and be done with tennis.

Craigy
Oct 29th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Hantuchova does some commentating for Eurosport sometimes...

Joana
Oct 29th, 2006, 05:09 PM
I can imagine Lindsay being a guest commentator at the US Open in the future.

RenaSlam.
Oct 29th, 2006, 05:10 PM
LOL.

Capriati is practically illiterate if you merely listen to her press conferences. "Umm...like...uhhh..."...Jennifer in the booth? Please.

I could see Lindsay doing a great job, though.

hingis-seles
Oct 29th, 2006, 05:15 PM
LOL.

Capriati is practically illiterate if you merely listen to her press conferences. "Umm...like...uhhh..."...Jennifer in the booth? Please.

I could see Lindsay doing a great job, though.

:haha: So true about Jennifer.

I agree. Lindsay would be fantastic.

MrSerenaWilliams
Oct 29th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Lindsay DEFINATELY, Sharapova (if she's not busy w/ other endeavors), and Mary too

CrossCourt~Rally
Oct 29th, 2006, 05:22 PM
LOL.

Capriati is practically illiterate if you merely listen to her press conferences. "Umm...like...uhhh..."...Jennifer in the booth? Please.I could see Lindsay doing a great job, though.

How many of those words did you have to spell check before finally hitting the POST button...:lol: ...:wavey:

mike/topgun
Oct 29th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Lindsay, Nastya, Chanda

but I can't see Lindsay commentatin anything apart the Open

hurricanejeanne
Oct 29th, 2006, 05:24 PM
I don't think Lindsay will be willing to travel around the country, let alone to the slams, to be a regular commentator. Once she retires, I think she's going to live a quiet life and start a family and be done with tennis.

Lindsay has hinted at it, but she isn't going to travel all over the place either. But I can see her doing commentarty during the So-Cal Events and the US Open.
I also agree that Chanda would be a great commentator too. :)

gumoll
Oct 29th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Mary Pierce :D

-sugi-
Oct 29th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Hopefully maybe Sugiyama for Japanese TV :hearts: Just like Date is for the 4grand slams and the two Japanese tournaments in Tokyo.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Oct 29th, 2006, 05:37 PM
I love Jennifer, but she would be cringe-worthy in a booth. You need to be a reasonably eloquent speaker to commentate and Jennifer is far from that.

Lindsay and Chanda would be great as someone already said. Corina Morariu did a good job guest-commentating once, but her voice is kind of nasily and irritating.

IMO, Nadia or Justine would do a wonderful job. They're both intelligent and have a lot of informed opinions (and this is coming from someone who does not like Justine.)

The Daviator
Oct 29th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Lindsay would be an excellent commentator, as Swami said, she has a great speaking voice, is intelligent, thoughtful and is actually very comfortable in front of the camera, which is surprising considering she was quite shy and insecure growing up...

I think she will end up commentating too, not for a while after she retires, but eventually :)

terjw
Oct 29th, 2006, 05:52 PM
I think Jelena Jankovic could be interesting as a commentator.

Joana
Oct 29th, 2006, 05:55 PM
I think Jelena Jankovic could be interesting as a commentator.

Her voice is too awkward for that.

StarDuvallGrant
Oct 29th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Chanda Rubin is good.

geoepee
Oct 29th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Alexandra

Kimster
Oct 29th, 2006, 07:10 PM
I know for a fact Justine is very interested.

auntie janie
Oct 29th, 2006, 10:34 PM
I'd love to hear Melanie Molitor's views on a match, more than the views of any current player.

Elena Dementieva might be fun, because she's intelligent, and she doesn't guard her words.

Lindsay could be good; she's extremely articulate in her press conferences. But I thought I read that she wants to get right away from tennis when she's done playing. Larry Scott would veto her anyway. :D

Lindsayfan32
Oct 30th, 2006, 02:54 AM
Lindsay would make a excellent commentator she is intelligent and thoughtful and has a great working knowledge of the tour on and off the court. Give it two or three years after she retires and it wouldn't be a major stretch seeing her commentating the so-cal events Indian Wells and US open couldn't see her doing it full time though.

Martian Stacey
Oct 30th, 2006, 03:04 AM
I think if Jennifer was planning on commentating, she probably would have done something by now. She's been out of the game for a while.

Lindsay would be good :) I heard her do some guest commentary during a tournament this year (might have been Dubai) and i enjoyed listening to her.

Marcus Jordan
Oct 30th, 2006, 03:09 AM
Martina Hingis obviously cos in retirement she already was a commentator and kicked butt at it for sure.:worship: She will probably win the Nobel Prize for Commentary. :worship:

brayster87
Oct 30th, 2006, 03:27 AM
Only champions get the previlege to commentate on tennis matches so Davenport would be a wise choice....she knows a lot about tennis

Bayo
Oct 30th, 2006, 03:44 AM
Lindsay is a very eloquent speaker. She always sounds like she's had all of her answers scripted -- even for random on-court interviews. I would definitely enjoy hearing her take on matches.

And I enjoyed the Martina Hingis commentary -- brutally honest as it was. I recall her making a crack about Serna's weight at Wimbledon on ESPN of few years ago. Some people don't like that about Martina, but I'm actually entertained by her frankness.

Ben.
Oct 30th, 2006, 03:55 AM
Lindsay would be good, knows alot about the tour plus she knows what it feels like 2 be on the court.

I reckon Kim would make a good commentator but i dun think that she will pursue it as a later career.

Bayo
Oct 30th, 2006, 03:56 AM
I reckon Kim would make a good commentator but i dun think that she will pursue it as a later career.
That's one I had forgotten about.

I agree. Kim would make a very good commentator.

darrinbaker00
Oct 30th, 2006, 04:00 AM
That's one I had forgotten about.

I agree. Kim would make a very good commentator.
I see a basketball team's worth of kids in Kim's future, not a microphone. ;)

floco
Oct 30th, 2006, 04:06 AM
Definitely Amelie. Surprised nobody mentioned her. She's always pretty good in interviews and knows how to analyse matches... Im sure in France they'd love to have her as the next commentator, and for some reason i think she might like it too. But who knows really...

kittyking
Oct 30th, 2006, 04:08 AM
Amy Frazier, she would be such a good commentator (I think she did a tiny bit at the ASB Classic one year)

Equipped
Oct 30th, 2006, 06:44 AM
While Lindsay would indeed be a great commentator, I simply don't see her tkaing on such a role. She is definitely looking forward to her quiet life after tennis, and I don't think doing the media-circus-thing would interest her too much. She may drop in and do it once and a while, but I wouldn't look to her becoming a Shriver or MJ Fernandez.

However, I think Chanda Rubin would make a fabulous commentator.

barryproudfoot
Oct 30th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Hingis, she already did it, and she would be fun to listen to :D

Also, Hantuchova was quite good in Zurich :p

V-MAC
Oct 30th, 2006, 02:06 PM
I heard Chanda commentating once on Eurosport, she was a pure natural :) She has a great soothing voice.

pooh14
Oct 30th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Hingis. Her english is pretty fluent, humorous and she has a nice voice.
i can also imagine her giving some sacarstic remarks smilingly.

besides her, i think serena, kim sounds interesting too.

Kunal
Oct 30th, 2006, 02:37 PM
I heard Chanda commentating once on Eurosport, she was a pure natural :) She has a great soothing voice.

thats interesting....never heard her...but i can imagine the soothing voice.

Kunal
Oct 30th, 2006, 02:38 PM
and hingis will definitely wont be one to come across as properly correct....she will definitely make eyebrow raising comments

CDGS22
Oct 30th, 2006, 03:48 PM
I would love if Lindsay would commentate, but I don't see her doing it right away. After she retires she will probably start having children and staying at home. But in a few years I could see her doing the Slams, not the little tournies.

Kim would be good, but she is too nice, she would not knock any of the players.