PDA

View Full Version : If Lisa Raymond Retires....Is She HOF Worthy?

Mother_Marjorie
Oct 29th, 2006, 12:44 PM
53 doubles titles....not bad.

KBdoubleu
Oct 29th, 2006, 01:34 PM
I don't think she should...She's a mediocre singles player and a very good doubles player in an era in which doubles isn't very competitive, I don't think that this should be enough to get her into the HOF

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Oct 29th, 2006, 01:42 PM
yes she should get in there she is 1 of only a number of players who has won all 4 Grand Slams and has been great with more than 1 partner and has over 50 titles thats got to be enough

Nicolas
Oct 29th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Did she annouce that she retired?

Harju.
Oct 29th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Did she annouce that she retired?
someone is trying to be a smartass to diss another thread regarding anna k.

this person thinks it's WRONG to diss her FAVOURITE PLAYERS but it's OK to diss PLAYERS THAT AREN'T HER FAVOURITE

*coughhypocritecough*

and yes, lisa should be inducted if pam shiver was.

crazillo
Oct 29th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Actually Pam Shriver shouldn'T be in, because I also think Lisa shouldn't be in. But if Pam is in, Lisa should be elected as well...

trivfun
Oct 29th, 2006, 02:13 PM
I do believe she is as doubles player but I do believe she needs some singles success like some semi's and quarters in majors like Rosie Casals. Overall she has an impressive resume of Fed Cup and others. She will eventually get in.

aussy89
Oct 29th, 2006, 02:43 PM
i think she is very well worthy also collecting another title 2mins ago winning 6-3 6-0 =)

lloyders76
Oct 29th, 2006, 02:46 PM
fernandez and zvereva have far better doubles records and they're not so raymond has to be a long way off getting nominated

MLF
Oct 29th, 2006, 02:58 PM
The only thing going against Lisa would be the fact she never cracked the top 10 in singles.

In defence of Pam Shriver, who someone mentioned negatively, apart from her grand slam doubles titles and Olympic gold medal in doubles, Pam held a top 3 ranking in singles, made a grand slam singles final, the year end championships singles final as well as multiple grand slam singles semi & quarter finals, so was an exceptional singles player too.

MH0861
Oct 29th, 2006, 03:16 PM
If there were a doubles HOF, then yes, but otherwise, no.

samn
Oct 29th, 2006, 03:21 PM
fernandez and zvereva have far better doubles records and they're not so raymond has to be a long way off getting nominated

And neither is Helena Sukova. Raymond has no chance of being inducted until Fernandez, Zvereva, and Sukova get in first.

samn
Oct 29th, 2006, 03:25 PM
and yes, lisa should be inducted if pam shiver was.

Excuse me? Well, I happen to think that Shriver is not worthy of the Hall of Fame (I just don't rate doubles that highly), but she's a lot more accomplished than Raymond. For starters, Shriver, along with Navratilova, had a 109-match winning streak between June 1983 and July 1985, a streak that included *eight* consecutive Grand Slam titles as well as a calendar year Grand Slam (1984). No other team in the Open Era ever came close to being that invincible.

Jakeev
Oct 29th, 2006, 03:28 PM
I don't think she should...She's a mediocre singles player and a very good doubles player in an era in which doubles isn't very competitive, I don't think that this should be enough to get her into the HOF

Since when is only being successful in singles a criteria for being a HOF candidate?

CoryAnnAvants#1
Oct 29th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Since when is only being successful in singles a criteria for being a HOF candidate?

Exactly. Doubles is a completely different disclipline and requires a completely different set of skills. That's why a lot of top singles players are lousy doubles players (especially on the mens side.) Just because it doesn't get as much attention does not mean its easier or should get less respect.

Raymond has won every Grand Slam in doubles. I don't see how they wouldn't warrant a nod. I also think Fernandez and Zvereva will get in there within the next three years or so.

GoDominique
Oct 29th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Well doubles SHOULD get less respect in this context, simply because the players themselves don't respect doubles anymore.

Natasha has had a respectable singles career, and even Gigi has made the Wimbledon semis.
And both had much more game and talent than good old Lisa.

KBdoubleu
Oct 29th, 2006, 03:59 PM

Did i say that?? no i didn't think so

Aaron68
Oct 29th, 2006, 04:03 PM
I'd say absolutely.

I realize this is probably a smart-ass response to the Anna thread, but all the same, I think Raymond's remarkable performance in doubles is enough reason to include her.

Was she a good singles player? Not really. Is doubles still part of tennis? Yes.

When they re-name it the "Hall of Fame For Singles Grand Slam Champions", then I will say "No" as to Raymond. Until then, she deserves entry.

Gallofa
Oct 29th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Natasha has had a respectable singles career, and even Gigi has made the Wimbledon semis. And both had much more game and talent than good old Lisa.

:lol:

This is from watching the three of them extensively through the years, isn't it?

I think Lisa might *just* slip in. She'll need a good (or maybe bad ;)) year, so it might take a while. She is american after all, and we all know the HOF is missing the A to properly stand for the American Hall of Fame, home bias and everything ;)

GoDominique
Oct 29th, 2006, 04:36 PM
:lol:

This is from watching the three of them extensively through the years, isn't it?
Yes, I have seen all three play quite a few times. Admittedly my memory of Gigi's tennis is not the best, but I would put Natasha above the other two anyway.

Gallofa
Oct 29th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Yes, I have seen all three play quite a few times. Admittedly my memory of Gigi's tennis is not the best, but I would put Natasha above the other two anyway.

Well, you can safely put Gigi at the bottom of that list too ;).

GoDominique
Oct 29th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Well, you can safely put Gigi at the bottom of that list too ;).
You cannot be serious.

Gigi has 17 doubles Grand Slams, Lisa has 5.

MrSerenaWilliams
Oct 29th, 2006, 05:33 PM
She will eventually, not in 5 years for sure...maybe 9

Ellery
Oct 30th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Definitely yes.

die_wahrheit
Oct 30th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Raimond in HOF???
For what?
she is nothing in tennis. Career high No 15 once. Please, stay serious.

Without a real success you shouldn't go to the HOF.
If Raymond enters, it's because she's American.

Meteor Shower
Oct 30th, 2006, 12:32 PM
HOF Should only be for the greatest champions, the top of the top.
For me, Lisa didn't prove that in singles, which is telling because
you are by yourself on court and not with another player.
A great champion should be able to crack the top 5 in singles.