PDA

View Full Version : What a stunning week for New Zealand tennis!

kittyking
Oct 29th, 2006, 06:55 AM
New Zealands top three players have all had stunning weeks so far

Sacha Jones (New Zealands top junior) : Won the 18 Under Thailand open singles title, winning the final 6-0 6-2. She never lost a set the whole tournament.
This moves her just that little bit closer to the top 10 (should be ranked about 13th after her win)

Leanne Baker (New Zealands top doubles player) : Is into the doubles final at Augusta after beating the top seeds in straight sets (all her matches at the tournament have been won in straight sets). With her semi final win her doubles ranking will climb to within the top 200

Marina Erakovic (New Zealands best player) : Won the 50k Beijing singles title in straight sets 6-2 6-1, she never lost a set the whole tournament (even though she versed the likes of Meng Yuan, Yung-Jan Chan, Iroda Tulyganova). Shes now won 3 out of her last 4 tournaments and with this win will climb into the top 200 for the first time in her career. Isnt defending any points until after the AO next year and is entered in the remaining 3 asian tournaments (50k, 50k, 75k).
She also made it into the final of doubles, but unfortunetly she just got outplayed here by a chinese duo.

What a week for New Zealand, the best since 1989

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Oct 29th, 2006, 06:58 AM
yeah its pretty fantastic especially Marina i can see her making her way to top 100 very soon

matthias
Oct 29th, 2006, 06:59 AM
new zealand need some good player :)

kittyking
Oct 29th, 2006, 07:00 AM
new realand need some good player :)

Indeed, we havent really had a great player since Belinda Cordwell back in the late 80s

kittyking
Oct 29th, 2006, 07:01 AM
yeah its pretty fantastic especially Marina i can see her making her way to top 100 very soon

Just 2 months all us kiwi fans were worried that she would fall out of the top 300 :eek:

The Jabberwock
Oct 29th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Good luck in 2007!

:wavey:

Dexter
Oct 29th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Congrats Kiwis! :yeah:

brunof
Oct 29th, 2006, 08:18 AM
I highly doubt that Leanne will get any sort of wildcard into the Australian Open. With the new system, of just highly ranked singles players playing, I'm afraid she would lose 2-6, 3-6 or something with Nicole. Hopefully I'm wrong.

kittyking
Oct 29th, 2006, 08:59 AM
I highly doubt that Leanne will get any sort of wildcard into the Australian Open. With the new system, of just highly ranked singles players playing, I'm afraid she would lose 2-6, 3-6 or something with Nicole. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Are you talking singles? She could loose 6-0 6-0 in qualifying - luckily her singles ranking wont be high enough though.

In doubles she won a 50k doubles title a couple of weeks back with Nicole, and as Nicole is an aussie we may just see them get a wildcard into the main draw of the AO

Wannabeknowitall
Oct 29th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Although this is nice, The New Zealanders got a WCs into qualifying doubles, main draw doubles, and qualifying singles at Auckland and lost in the first round this year.
I feel your setting yourself up for dissapointment if you expect any player to do any better two months from now, Kitty.

kittyking
Oct 30th, 2006, 03:02 AM
Although this is nice, The New Zealanders got a WCs into qualifying doubles, main draw doubles, and qualifying singles at Auckland and lost in the first round this year.
I feel your setting yourself up for dissapointment if you expect any player to do any better two months from now, Kitty.

Im not saying that New Zealand has been great in tennis over the last 16 years, weve been crap really.
But I prefer to focus on the positives on life, and I have always thought that Marina and Sacha have had great potential. Everyone starts somewhere - Justine Henin Hardenne used to be ranked 218 in juniors and im sure you would have said she was only playing well for two months after that too....

kittyking
Oct 30th, 2006, 03:03 AM

Oh and ive just made this thread a favourite now too, so if Marina or Sacha do indeed make it into the top 50 then we can all laugh at your stupid comment

rada
Oct 30th, 2006, 03:32 AM
go Marina :) ......of course she has serbian blood ;)

brayster87
Oct 30th, 2006, 03:37 AM
Oh and ive just made this thread a favourite now too, so if Marina or Sacha do indeed make it into the top 50 then we can all laugh at your stupid comment

No its not a stupid comment at all...i agree with wannabeknowitall....these players are not going to be champions....so post something that is useful in today's society:(

tennisbuddy12
Oct 30th, 2006, 03:48 AM
leanne didnt reach the agusta final.....she won!

Derek.
Oct 30th, 2006, 04:11 AM
Sacha's not going to be that good.

Caroline routined her at Wimbledon this year and they are the same age.

Caroline also beat Marina easily in Roehampton last year.

kittyking
Oct 30th, 2006, 04:53 AM
Sacha's not going to be that good.

Caroline routined her at Wimbledon this year and they are the same age.

Caroline also beat Marina easily in Roehampton last year.

Can everyone here who enjoys saying that New Zealand is shit at tennis please join the NZISP here : http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=270911

kittyking
Oct 30th, 2006, 04:56 AM
leanne didnt reach the agusta final.....she won!

I know! Thats her 2nd doubles title after coming back from a potentially career ending injury

Derek.
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:10 AM
Can everyone here who enjoys saying that New Zealand is shit at tennis please join the NZISP here : http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=270911

I'm not saying NZL tennis is shit. :o

All I'm saying is Sacha and Marina aren't going to be that good. :shrug:

kittyking
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:40 AM
I'm not saying NZL tennis is shit. :o

All I'm saying is Sacha and Marina aren't going to be that good. :shrug:

Thats exactly what your saying (shit means arent going to be good, New Zealand players often turn into this when people like you talk to them the way you are doing on here).

Mr_Molik
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:54 AM
No its not a stupid comment at all...i agree with wannabeknowitall....these players are not going to be champions....so post something that is useful in today's society:(
marina is a heaps good player...

kittyking
Oct 30th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Good luck Marina!

-sugi-
Oct 30th, 2006, 06:26 PM

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :bigclap: :yeah:

iPatty
Oct 30th, 2006, 08:02 PM
I'm sorry, but this is out of control.

Nobody cares about pointless New Zealand tennis. None of your players are going to be any good anyway. Oh wow, she won a challenger! What's next, Wimbledon?!

kittyking
Nov 6th, 2006, 08:55 AM
I'm sorry, but this is out of control.

Nobody cares about pointless New Zealand tennis. None of your players are going to be any good anyway. Oh wow, she won a challenger! What's next, Wimbledon?!

What a pathetic post by you

brayster87
Nov 6th, 2006, 09:02 AM
kittyking, you are a useless poster on this forum...unless you have something intelligent to say, i suggest that you don't post at all (everyone is sick and tired of hearing from you all the time).....like i personally said before who cares about New Zealand tennis, no champion will ever be bred from there...so shut up about New Zealand tennis players

kittyking
Nov 6th, 2006, 09:11 AM
kittyking, you are a useless poster on this forum...unless you have something intelligent to say, i suggest that you don't post at all (everyone is sick and tired of hearing from you all the time).....like i personally said before who cares about New Zealand tennis, no champion will ever be bred from there...so shut up about New Zealand tennis players

You are aware that Anthony Wilding and Belinda Cordwell were bred from New Zealand right - infact I live just down the road from Anthonys old house

xin_hui
Nov 6th, 2006, 09:13 AM
kittyking, just a suggestion: just as you dont enjoy people mocking kiwi players, maybe you should also refrain from taunting the aussie players in their forum (ok, it's a aussie/kiwi forum, but still)

kittyking
Nov 6th, 2006, 09:17 AM
kittyking, just a suggestion: just as you dont enjoy people mocking kiwi players, maybe you should also refrain from taunting the aussie players in their forum (ok, it's a aussie/kiwi forum, but still)

I am a major fan of Australian tennis, I dont know what your on about

brayster87
Nov 6th, 2006, 09:20 AM
You are aware that Anthony Wilding and Belinda Cordwell were bred from New Zealand right - infact I live just down the road from Anthonys old house

what has this comment got to do with fish in malaysia?

plus i don't really care whether you live next to these people (whoever they are)

kittyking
Nov 6th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Look

There have been only a few kiwi tennis greats, so why are you so anti-New Zealand. I know many great australian posters here such as Danimoo, Mr Molik, Oztennis, even Ozfan who very much support kiwi juniors and kiwi seniors. I love Australian tennis, Sophie Ferguson personally knows that im a big fan of hers (have gotten into a couple of good chats with her) plus im also a big fan on Tyra - at least when shes playing well.
When you start happy forum posts I dont go in there and say that its actually a crap week for your nation do I - and no one else does it to your threads do they (if they do...PROVE IT).

P.S. Dereks cool, dont try and drag him into your mess gurl_tennis and brayster, Patty and -sugi-

kittyking
Nov 6th, 2006, 09:27 AM
what has this comment got to do with fish in malaysia?

plus i don't really care whether you live next to these people (whoever they are)

Oh and fyi Anthony Wilding won 3 Australian Open titles and 8 US Open titles - most people (apart from yourself) would class this as a champion

brayster87
Nov 6th, 2006, 09:28 AM
At the moment, there are no Australian female tennis players that are going to be champions....i at least admit that but you, kittyking, talk up your NZ players as if they are champions or at least going to be....people on this thread are just saying that they are not going to be champions. (otherwise they would be on the main tour by now)

brayster87
Nov 6th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Oh and fyi Anthony Wilding won 3 Australian Open titles and 8 US Open titles - most people (apart from yourself) would class this as a champion

oh and this is a WTA forum about women mostly, not men....

xin_hui
Nov 6th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Look

There have been only a few kiwi tennis greats, so why are you so anti-New Zealand. I know many great australian posters here such as Danimoo, Mr Molik, Oztennis, even Ozfan who very much support kiwi juniors and kiwi seniors. I love Australian tennis, Sophie Ferguson personally knows that im a big fan of hers (have gotten into a couple of good chats with her) plus im also a big fan on Tyra - at least when shes playing well.
When you start happy forum posts I dont go in there and say that its actually a crap week for your nation do I - and no one else does it to your threads do they (if they do...PROVE IT).

P.S. Dereks cool, dont try and drag him into your mess gurl_tennis and brayster, Patty and -sugi-

look, last thing i'm gonna say in this thread is, i'm not anti-kiwi. i didnt come in to spoil your exuberance about kiwi tennis. but if so many aussie posters have issues with you in the OZ/NZ forum, maybe you should restrain a little

Kunal
Nov 6th, 2006, 09:48 AM
sweet....go NZ

DevilishAttitude
Nov 6th, 2006, 03:21 PM
New Zealands top three players have all had stunning weeks so far

Sacha Jones (New Zealands top junior) : Won the 18 Under Thailand open singles title, winning the final 6-0 6-2. She never lost a set the whole tournament.
This moves her just that little bit closer to the top 10 (should be ranked about 13th after her win)

Leanne Baker (New Zealands top doubles player) : Is into the doubles final at Augusta after beating the top seeds in straight sets (all her matches at the tournament have been won in straight sets). With her semi final win her doubles ranking will climb to within the top 200

Marina Erakovic (New Zealands best player) : Won the 50k Beijing singles title in straight sets 6-2 6-1, she never lost a set the whole tournament (even though she versed the likes of Meng Yuan, Yung-Jan Chan, Iroda Tulyganova). Shes now won 3 out of her last 4 tournaments and with this win will climb into the top 200 for the first time in her career. Isnt defending any points until after the AO next year and is entered in the remaining 3 asian tournaments (50k, 50k, 75k).
She also made it into the final of doubles, but unfortunetly she just got outplayed here by a chinese duo.

What a week for New Zealand, the best since 1989

Sacha WHO?

You forget to mention Baker lost in striaght sets in the 1st Round in singles.

Erakovic was destroyed by Iroda in the next tournament.

In other news, GREAT WEEK FOR SINGAPORE TENNIS!!! :D Wei Ping Lee is in the main draw of a 25K, I expect her to be winning tour events soon! :D

Johno_uk
Nov 6th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Hey, this is good reason for New Zealand to celebrate.

For those of you who doubt it, consider:

Tennis has never been a 'strong' sport in New Zealand
Poor results since the 80s
There are only 4 million Kiwis (there are 75 Americans for each Kiwi, 15 French or Brits, 21 Germans, and 5 Australians). For a small country they are doing well.

You should compare New Zealand to countries like Scotland, Denmark or Lithuania which have similar populations, which in women's tennis it is probably doing better than.

I am really happy for New Zealand :)

kittyking
Nov 10th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Hey, this is good reason for New Zealand to celebrate.

For those of you who doubt it, consider:

Tennis has never been a 'strong' sport in New Zealand
Poor results since the 80s
There are only 4 million Kiwis (there are 75 Americans for each Kiwi, 15 French or Brits, 21 Germans, and 5 Australians). For a small country they are doing well.

You should compare New Zealand to countries like Scotland, Denmark or Lithuania which have similar populations, which in women's tennis it is probably doing better than.

I am really happy for New Zealand :)

What an awesome comment, thanks for that

brayster87
Nov 10th, 2006, 08:55 AM
not really

Sunny_Boy
Nov 10th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Why do you keep bumping up threads?