PDA

View Full Version : Year-End Top 20 pretty much determined

AnnaK_4ever
Oct 28th, 2006, 11:08 PM
1-2. Henin-Hardenne or Sharapova
3. Mauresmo (has very slim chance to finish higher)
4. Kuznetsova (will not pass Mauresmo even if she wins YEC)
5. Petrova (will pass Kuznetsova if she reaches YEC final and Kuznetsova loses in RR)
6-8. Hingis - Clijsters - Dementieva (though Kim has a chance to overtake Petrova and even Kuznetsova if she wins Hasselt and does clearly better [wins] at YEC).
9*. Schnyder
10*. Vaidisova
11*. Safina
12*. Jankovic
13*. Chakvetadze
14-15. Ivanovic - Schiavone (depends on who performs better in Hasselt)
16. Myskina
17. Hantuchova
18. Groenefeld (will pass Hantuchova if she makes final in Hasselt; will pass Myskina if she wins Hasselt. But it's unlikely)
19. Peer
20. Li or Bartoli (if Marion reaches SF in Quebec City); Bartoli can overtake Peer if she makes it to the final in Canada and can overtake Groenefeld if she wins Quebec with Anna-Lena losing early in Hasselt.
Katarina Srebotnik needs final appearance in Hasselt to be ranked in Top 20; needs to win Hasselt if Bartoli reaches final in Quebec.

* confirmed spots.

Viktymise
Oct 28th, 2006, 11:11 PM
There's gonna be a real battle battle for number 1 and again it looks like the deserving number 1 with 2 slams wont end up being there, lenaD can finish top 5 if she wins YEC or gets to the final and Nadia lossing in RR :D

AJZ.
Oct 28th, 2006, 11:27 PM
18. Groenefeld (will pass Hantuchova if she makes final in Hasselt; will pass Myskina if she wins Hasselt. But it's unlikely)
:spit:

I know this is off-topic, but how far up can Sugiyama go if she wins Hasselt? Ambitious, but I'm curious :)

Slumpsova
Oct 28th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Yay Nicole finishes in top ten :woohoo: :cool:

AnnaK_4ever
Oct 28th, 2006, 11:39 PM
I know this is off-topic, but how far up can Sugiyama go if she wins Hasselt? Ambitious, but I'm curious :)

Well, Ai needs to beat Zvonareva to reach No.25; needs to make QF to pass Davenport at No.24; needs to win Hasselt with Srebotnik losing prior to SF to finish at No.23.

AJZ.
Oct 28th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Well, Ai needs to beat Zvonareva to reach No.25; needs to make QF to pass Davenport at No.24; needs to win Hasselt with Srebotnik losing prior to SF to finish at No.23.

Thank you :worship:
But she's playing Nat Dechy now, so I think that falsifies your calculations a bit? She needs to do better than Zvonareva at the event I guess...
But thank you, that's awesome ^^

AnnaK_4ever
Oct 28th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Thank you :worship:
But she's playing Nat Dechy now, so I think that falsifies your calculations a bit? She needs to do better than Zvonareva at the event I guess...
But thank you, that's awesome ^^
Yes, I forgot that Schnyder withdrew... You're right Ai has to "out-perform" Vera in Hasselt then.

Nicolás89
Oct 28th, 2006, 11:50 PM
what happens if martina win yec?

AnnaK_4ever
Oct 28th, 2006, 11:58 PM
what happens if martina win yec?

She will finish at No.5 if Petrova loses in SF or RR otherwise she will be No.6.

DaNieLa RoCkZ
Oct 29th, 2006, 12:08 AM
Daniela in top 20 again.. who wouldve thought after such a bad year other than the slams.. Thanks to her run in Zurich lol

franny
Oct 29th, 2006, 12:12 AM
There's gonna be a real battle battle for number 1 and again it looks like the deserving number 1 with 2 slams wont end up being there, lenaD can finish top 5 if she wins YEC or gets to the final and Nadia lossing in RR :D

Unforunately, Mauresmo has done pretty much nothing outside the two slams she won. She did reach the semis of the U.S. Open, but that's pretty much it. She just has too many quarterfinals and earlier losses. The points dont' lie. You'd think that with two slams under your belt, plus like 4-5 more tournaments than you next two rivals, it'd be easy to secure the number 1 spot. It just shows how much she has underperformed in the other tournaments. A number 1 has to be consistent week in and week out and show that you can truly be the best player for a sustained period of time, and not just a couple weeks here and a couple weeks there. You have to win pretty much every time you play. Both Henin and Sharapova are more likely to win on any given day than Mauresmo. That alone tells us that they are the stronger players right now. Personally, I think that Henin hardenne is the true number 1. She has performed at EVERY slam, and has performed in tournaments outside the slams as well. I just can't recall very many quarterfinals or earlier losses for her. With Mauresmo, quite a few come to mind. I don't know, just my opinion, but Mauresmo, as the number 1 player in the world, should have done better in the other 14 non-slam tournaments. I just can't understand how a woman with 2 slams and 4 more tournaments than her next rivals can underperform in all those tournaments outside the two slams so much so that those players can catch up to her. Mauresmo probably doesn't care too much about the number 1 anyways. She got what she wanted, the slams.

Nicolás89
Oct 29th, 2006, 12:18 AM
She will finish at No.5 if Petrova loses in SF or RR otherwise she will be No.6.

thanx :wavey:

Ben.
Oct 29th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Unforunately, Mauresmo has done pretty much nothing outside the two slams she won. She did reach the semis of the U.S. Open, but that's pretty much it. She just has too many quarterfinals and earlier losses. The points dont' lie. You'd think that with two slams under your belt, plus like 4-5 more tournaments than you next two rivals, it'd be easy to secure the number 1 spot. It just shows how much she has underperformed in the other tournaments. A number 1 has to be consistent week in and week out and show that you can truly be the best player for a sustained period of time, and not just a couple weeks here and a couple weeks there. You have to win pretty much every time you play. Both Henin and Sharapova are more likely to win on any given day than Mauresmo. That alone tells us that they are the stronger players right now. Personally, I think that Henin hardenne is the true number 1. She has performed at EVERY slam, and has performed in tournaments outside the slams as well. I just can't recall very many quarterfinals or earlier losses for her. With Mauresmo, quite a few come to mind. I don't know, just my opinion, but Mauresmo, as the number 1 player in the world, should have done better in the other 14 non-slam tournaments. I just can't understand how a woman with 2 slams and 4 more tournaments than her next rivals can underperform in all those tournaments outside the two slams so much so that those players can catch up to her. Mauresmo probably doesn't care too much about the number 1 anyways. She got what she wanted, the slams.

agree with u there. no doubt that amelie had a great 1st half of the season but ever since then she's been performing just above average & hasn't lived up 2 the results in the 1st half.

she's just had numerous losses in quarterfinals or earlier losses which has gotten 2 where she is - in danger of losing the no.1 ranking. that's why i say that 2 be no.1 is not just about winning slams, but being extremely consistent in every tournament. slam wins r important but that's why u got the rest tournaments in order 2 indicate your position of superiority.

so there4 justine or maria i reckon either will finish no.1 in the world. that sums up my case.