PDA

View Full Version : Should Mary Pierce Retire?

Mother_Marjorie
Oct 28th, 2006, 10:06 PM
I think Mary Pierce's documented injuries throughout her career could easily turn into a case study. She is by far one of the hardest hitting pros from the last, and current generation.

She recently tore ligaments in her left knee and will be out for six months. At age 31, is it time for Mary to call it quits?

LH2HBH
Oct 28th, 2006, 10:08 PM
UH - my feeling about this is pretty bad. But Mary is the one who just keeps on fighting and keeps on surprising us.

If the surgery is a success then she should definitely play.

Paul.
Oct 28th, 2006, 10:08 PM
she should do whatever she wants to do. and right now, she doesnt want to retire.

for me, its simple

hurricanejeanne
Oct 28th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Mary is in a tough position.
On one hand, she wants to keep playing once she gets this injury behind her, on the other there is her age and her always getting hurt.

My feeling is that Mary will have her surgery and do the rehabilitation and give all she can into a comeback. She's a tough cookie. Mary will know when it's time to walk away. Either way, I wish her the best and I hope we see her on tour again.

tennisbuddy12
Oct 28th, 2006, 10:25 PM
No. She said shes not going to anytime soon. And this injury wont stop her. I think she woulds like to do it on her own terms.

waratahsrock
Oct 28th, 2006, 10:28 PM
No - she can still fight on, ending her career like this wouldn't do her justice

zibaas
Oct 28th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Should Mary Pierce Retire? = Should i kill myself?
If Mary is saying she doesn´t want to stop , so i have to agree with her.
COME ON MARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kart
Oct 28th, 2006, 10:32 PM
When Mary retires, unlike many retired good players before her, it won't be because she hasn't got the game to challenge for major titles anymore.

To me there are very few players like her that have retained the ability on a good day to crush even the best of best late into their careers.

Not really answering the question I know but I think my sentiments have already been expressed by someone else above.

kittyking
Oct 28th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Even if she retires I think she'll do a Martina (either one) and make a comeback a few years later

Mother_Marjorie
Oct 28th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Even if she retires I think she'll do a Martina (either one) and make a comeback a few years later

Mary is 31, not 22.

Ceri
Oct 28th, 2006, 11:43 PM
Yeah, fair point - but Mary won't retire yet, is my gut feeling, unless the injury is really serious. She's old for a tennis player, yep, but if she's back strong aged 32 and a bit no reason why she shouldn't play for a few more years.

Mother_Marjorie
Oct 28th, 2006, 11:52 PM
When Mary retires, unlike many retired good players before her, it won't be because she hasn't got the game to challenge for major titles anymore.

To me there are very few players like her that have retained the ability on a good day to crush even the best of best late into their careers.

Not really answering the question I know but I think my sentiments have already been expressed by someone else above.

I guess I'm reminded of Steffi Graf in this instance. For years she battled a bad back, then her knee problem began in '97 which kept her away for almost a year and a half. '98 was a medicore year for Graf, no where near her prior form.

Then, in '99, hope sprung eternal. At age 30, Graf reclaimed her game and rose to #3 in the rankings. She won the French Open, then after Wimbledon and before the US Open, she called it quits. The prospect of lifelong physical impairment was simply too much to bear, in spite of her stellar play, and ability to still beat the best in the world.

I feel Graf's '99 was Mary's '05. They both battled back from lingering injuries to reclaim their spot as one of the best in the world at age 30. Like Graf, I feel Mary should have stopped while she had regained her championship form and could still walk.

However, this isn't the case with Mary. She obviously wants more.

Realistically, there's no guarantee that Mary will ever return to her '05 form after this latest injury time-out. A time-out which will require knee surgery and six-months rehabilitation. Even Graf knew when it was time to throw in the towel.

I really feel like we've seen the best of Mary Pierce.

As fans, are we being selfish in our attempts to hope players with chronic injuries return....just one more time in the twilight of their careers?

Mary Pierce is THE inaugural injured poster-child of modern power tennis in the WTA. A woman who pushed her body beyond its limits with punishing ground strokes. I see glimpses of Mary Pierce's injury-prone career in this generations top power players; Kim Clijsters, Justine Henin-Hardenne, Serena Williams, Lindsay Davenport and Venus Williams.

Why couldn't they learn from Mary?

And now, we have another younger generation approaching, hitting blazing groundstrokes. Will Maria Sharapova and Nicole Vaidisova learn from their predecessors mistakes??? Or will modern power tennis continue to eat its young???

kittyking
Oct 29th, 2006, 12:19 AM
Mary is 31, not 22.

I never said Martina Navratilova was 22!!! Omg you are so annoying

Lindsay Martina
Oct 29th, 2006, 12:23 AM
No, I don't think she should retire yet, she still has many things that she wants do, like play the 2008 Olympics, and win Wimbledon, although both do appear unlikely. Btw, this is my first post here, hi everyone. :)

Kart
Oct 29th, 2006, 12:30 AM
I guess I'm reminded of Steffi Graf in this instance. For years she battled a bad back, then her knee problem began in '97 which kept her away for almost a year and a half. '98 was a medicore year for Graf, no where near her prior form.

Then, in '99, hope sprung eternal. At age 30, Graf reclaimed her game and rose to #3 in the rankings. She won the French Open, then after Wimbledon and before the US Open, she called it quits. The prospect of lifelong physical impairment was simply too much to bear, in spite of her stellar play, and ability to still beat the best in the world.

I feel Graf's '99 was Mary's '05. They both battled back from lingering injuries to reclaim their spot as one of the best in the world at age 30. Like Graf, I feel Mary should have stopped while she had regained her championship form and could still walk.

However, this isn't the case with Mary. She obviously wants more.

Realistically, there's no guarantee that Mary will ever return to her '05 form after this latest injury time-out. A time-out which will require knee surgery and six-months rehabilitation. Even Graf knew when it was time to throw in the towel.

I really feel like we've seen the best of Mary Pierce.

As fans, are we being selfish in our attempts to hope players with chronic injuries return....just one more time in the twilight of their careers?

Mary Pierce is THE inaugural injured poster-child of modern power tennis in the WTA. A woman who pushed her body beyond its limits with punishing ground strokes. I see glimpses of Mary Pierce's injury-prone career in this generations top power players; Kim Clijsters, Justine Henin-Hardenne, Serena Williams, Lindsay Davenport and Venus Williams.

Why couldn't they learn from Mary?

And now, we have another younger generation approaching, hitting blazing groundstrokes. Will Maria Sharapova and Nicole Vaidisova learn from their predecessors mistakes??? Or will modern power tennis continue to eat its young???

I have to admit I don't see as much in the Steffi - Mary comparison as you do. In my mind, Steffi's million injuries rarely kept her away from top flight tennis for long - aside from when she had that operation after the French open in 1997.

Mary's injuries have taken her tennis down several notches several times. In between her Oz open win and her 2000 clay season win there wasn't much to write home about aside from an Oz open final that she lost tamely. Much the same between 2000 and last year. Not to say she wasn't playing or playing well but she definitely took time to build up to her best, unlike Steffi who could return and win tournaments like she'd never left.

I guess the point I'm making is that counting Mary Pierce out after a long period of absence is something I've done several times before and been wrong about. We may well have seen the best of her as you say but on her past record she's proven that she is willing to take the knockdowns that the comeback trail brings with it to claw her way back. So if anyone has the will to do it, she has ... perhaps even more than Steffi did.

As for the younger generation learning from her, well I think they all have too much pride, too little commitment and are too self involved in their own interests to apply themselves enough if they got into that situation - with the exception maybe of Lindsay Davenport but then I consider her more of Mary's generation anyway.

Mother_Marjorie
Oct 29th, 2006, 01:30 AM
I have to admit I don't see as much in the Steffi - Mary comparison as you do. In my mind, Steffi's million injuries rarely kept her away from top flight tennis for long - aside from when she had that operation after the French open in 1997.

Well, both women at the age of 30 were able to comeback from lengthy injury breaks and beat the top players. The comparison stopped when Graf retired, and Mary became injured again.

Mary's injuries have taken her tennis down several notches several times. In between her Oz open win and her 2000 clay season win there wasn't much to write home about aside from an Oz open final that she lost tamely. Much the same between 2000 and last year. Not to say she wasn't playing or playing well but she definitely took time to build up to her best, unlike Steffi who could return and win tournaments like she'd never left.

I agree. And both times it took Mary several years to bounce back. Which, I don't see Mary punching holes in the French Open or US Open draws at 35 or 36.

I guess the point I'm making is that counting Mary Pierce out after a long period of absence is something I've done several times before and been wrong about. We may well have seen the best of her as you say but on her past record she's proven that she is willing to take the knockdowns that the comeback trail brings with it to claw her way back. So if anyone has the will to do it, she has ... perhaps even more than Steffi did.

I would have to agree, but Mary isn't a young woman anymore in the sport of tennis.

As for the younger generation learning from her, well I think they all have too much pride, too little commitment and are too self involved in their own interests to apply themselves enough if they got into that situation - with the exception maybe of Lindsay Davenport but then I consider her more of Mary's generation anyway.

Well said.

Mother_Marjorie
Oct 29th, 2006, 01:32 AM
I never said Martina Navratilova was 22!!! Omg you are so annoying

Oops! My bad. I could have sworn it said Martina Hingis! Now, you didn't change it, did you??? Oops, I guess you didn't.

I must be doing something right. :devil:

RenaSlam.
Oct 29th, 2006, 01:42 AM
No you bitch. She has plenty of good years left.

Mother_Marjorie
Oct 29th, 2006, 01:48 AM
No you bitch. She has plenty of good years left.

You better sit down, fool.

According to some, Serena hasn't fully recovered from her knee surgery 3 1/2 years ago.:rolleyes:
I guess that 2006 domination will have to wait until 2007. And that makes four years.

Scotso
Oct 29th, 2006, 01:49 AM
It looks like the people have spoken.

RenaSlam.
Oct 29th, 2006, 01:51 AM
You better sit down, fool.

According to some, Serena hasn't fully recovered from her knee surgery 3 1/2 years ago.:rolleyes:

This is a thread about Mary Pierce. What is your fixation with S. Williams anyway? Psychotic bitch.

Mother_Marjorie
Oct 29th, 2006, 01:57 AM
This is a thread about Mary Pierce. What is your fixation with S. Williams anyway? Psychotic bitch.

Dunno.

I guess when a few of Serena's lunatic fringe fans run around calling others a "bitch", who continue to carry the obligatory, "...prepare for domination in 2006" just might strike a little irony here.

Especially since it was Serena's knee injury (oops, bad to think about other players knee surgeries during a discussion about Mary Pierce's knee surgery) that has kept her stellar play at bay for many years.

You've got an attitude problem. And I think I'm just the bitch to take care of it for you.

MrSerenaWilliams
Oct 29th, 2006, 01:59 AM
If Mary feels like she can still comptete, she should still play. That decision is all hers.

MrSerenaWilliams
Oct 29th, 2006, 01:07 AM
*man, why are there so many fights in GM :sad:*

Lulu.
Oct 29th, 2006, 01:07 AM
No

Tenis Srbija
Oct 29th, 2006, 01:11 AM
I think this a bit "stupid" question... Don't get me wrong!

She will retire ig injurie is serious, and will not if she comeback by next season...

She is playing amazing tennis, and still can be in top ten!

Berlin_Calling
Oct 29th, 2006, 01:21 AM
We are not Mary Pierce, why should we be deciding what she should do with her life? If Mary wants to come back (which at this point, she does) the decision is all hers. If Mary wants to retire, I will still fully support her decision (not without heartbreak though). Mary has been through much worse throughout her life, and people still doubt her faith and inner-strength. I remember a bunch of these threads on this board back in like 2003 and look what happened in 2005? Mary is very unpredictable and if she feels like she has more tennis left in her, she will be back with a bang for sure.

RenaSlam.
Oct 29th, 2006, 01:38 AM
Dunno.

I guess when a few of Serena's lunatic fringe fans run around calling others a "bitch", who continue to carry the obligatory, "...prepare for domination in 2006" just might strike a little irony here.

Especially since it was Serena's knee injury (oops, bad to think about other players knee surgeries during a discussion about Mary Pierce's knee surgery) that has kept her stellar play at bay for many years.

You've got an attitude problem. And I think I'm just the bitch to take care of it for you.

Oh, I'm sorry. You asked a stupid question, and I answered it, then you replied with an even dumber response. What now, bitch?

Mother_Marjorie
Oct 29th, 2006, 01:46 AM
*man, why are there so many fights in GM :sad:*

Well, RenaSlam's tourette's is acting up again. Except this time, the only coherent word she uses is "bitch."

I hope that clarifies things for you.

RenaSlam.
Oct 29th, 2006, 02:01 AM
Well, RenaSlam's tourette's is acting up again. Except this time, the only coherent word she says is "bitch."
I hope that clarifies things for you.

Whatever you stupid bitch.

Mother_Marjorie
Oct 29th, 2006, 02:06 AM
Whatever you stupid bitch.

http://tourettenowwhat.tripod.com/images/NOT%20Tourette's.gif

RenaSlam.
Oct 29th, 2006, 02:06 AM
http://www.centerforpediatrics.com/images/graph2.gif

SWOOP.

Si_Hi
Oct 29th, 2006, 02:08 AM
i think she should but it's not important what i think.
mary should do what she wants.

Mother_Marjorie
Oct 29th, 2006, 02:09 AM
SWOOP.

http://www.yaleherald.com/archive/xxx/2000.09.22/ae/julia150203.jpg

RenaSlam.
Oct 29th, 2006, 02:20 AM
http://www.yaleherald.com/archive/xxx/2000.09.22/ae/julia150203.jpg

http://www.worth1000.com/entries/114500/114667SXAW_w.jpg

RJWCapriati
Oct 29th, 2006, 03:18 AM
No No No No No No No No

All of my top 4 are out right now......if they all retire.......well I'm just going to be one sad tennis fanattic.

vogus
Oct 29th, 2006, 03:26 AM
lest we forget, Pierce nearly won the YEC less than a year ago.

Even if she is as slow as an ox, she is still a dangerous player. She can rehab and compete for a few more years if that is what she wants from her life.

I don't see her reaching Top 10 or GS finals again though.

MH0861
Oct 29th, 2006, 04:30 AM
I'm not sure she will have the success the wants if she comes back - but I think we all know Mary is one who genuinely loves to play the game of tennis first and foremost.

Even if she doesn't reach the Top 10 or make another deep run at a slam again, I'd like to see her overcome this last obstacle - like she's done time and time again - and end her career on her own terms and be at peace with the decision. After all her hard work and years on the tour, I think she deserves the opportunity to do that. And who knows, maybe she'll surprise us yet again.

MistyGrey
Oct 29th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Like I said the other day, I can understand some ppl wanting her to retire.. but tis Mary's call.. and she is ready to go through the pain and hardships. I say good luck to her..

zibaas
Oct 29th, 2006, 11:25 AM
the poster who create this thread is just :rolleyes: look at her(him) posts here...

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Oct 29th, 2006, 11:44 AM
No injury shouldnt make her decision to retire. She should do it when shes ready to if its now then great but if she still wants it which im sure she does she will get through this and get back to tennis

Mother_Marjorie
Oct 29th, 2006, 12:08 PM
the poster who create this thread is just :rolleyes: look at her(him) posts here...

Yes, please look at my posts. We're having discussion. Albeit, we encountered a troll, now TWO.

Retirement for a 31 year-old Professional tennis player with a serious knee injury isn't so far-fetched.

Heck, there's still a few Capriati and Seles fans that think they will still play. :rolleyes:

FrenchY52
Oct 29th, 2006, 01:38 PM
It's not to us to say what she should do. She doesn't want to stop now so .