PDA

View Full Version : How did Mary get injured so badly?

king416
Oct 28th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Hope this doesnt seem too insensitive, but after seeing the horrific injury Mary suffered, I was just wondering how she managed to sustain such a bad injury because she didnt seem to fall hard, just apply some pressure on the knee which surely should be able to handle it? Has she got a history of knee injuries or was she just incredibly unlucky? (Hope she makes a speedy recovery and is back for RG!:) )

Paul.
Oct 28th, 2006, 08:40 PM
i know what you mean - on watching the videos back it doesnt look that bad but obviously she was in terrible pain. i was doing some research and heres some info on the injury

hope it helps :)

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/knee/anteriorcruciate.htm

LDF
Oct 28th, 2006, 08:42 PM
i know what you mean - on watching the videos back it doesnt look that bad but obviously she was in terrible pain. i was doing some research and heres some info on the injury

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/knee/anteriorcruciate.htm

'The ACL or anterior cruciate ligament is injured either through twisting the knee or through an impact to the side of the knee - often the outside.'

You could clearly see Mary's knee twist inwards when she landed heavily.

Paul.
Oct 28th, 2006, 08:43 PM
'The ACL or anterior cruciate ligament is injured either through twisting the knee or through an impact to the side of the knee - often the outside.'

You could clearly see Mary's knee twist inwards when she landed heavily.

yeah, you can see it twist a little :sad:

drake3781
Oct 28th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Hope this doesnt seem too insensitive, but after seeing the horrific injury Mary suffered, I was just wondering how she managed to sustain such a bad injury because she didnt seem to fall hard, just apply some pressure on the knee which surely should be able to handle it? Has she got a history of knee injuries or was she just incredibly unlucky? (Hope she makes a speedy recovery and is back for RG!:) )

It looked like it was injured when she set the foot down, not when she fell. Her leg was swinging forward with the knee almost straignt, not bent, and then when she set her foot down, with all of her weight and the force of her body running forward, her foot didn't land quite flat to absorb the force naturally but instead twisted a bit. So it was a combination of the straight leg, the force of her sprint forward and body weight coming down so hard, and the twisted landing of the foot.

Viktymise
Oct 28th, 2006, 08:51 PM
The cruciate ligament is like an elastic band with an awkward movement with the knee it can snap like twisting, bending and leaning into it which is what i think she did

king416
Oct 28th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Seems like a worryingly easy injury to do! Can Mary still walk on the knee and bend, how badly does it affect her general lifestyle?

Paul.
Oct 28th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Seems like a worryingly easy injury to do! Can Mary still walk on the knee and bend, how badly does it affect her general lifestyle?

she is in a leg brace, awaiting surgery :sad:

she decided not to have the surgery in linz, but instead have it back in france

MrSerenaWilliams
Oct 28th, 2006, 08:57 PM
It looked like it was injured when she set the foot down, not when she fell. Her leg was swinging forward with the knee almost straignt, not bent, and then when she set her foot down, with all of her weight and the force of her body running forward, her foot didn't land quite flat to absorb the force naturally but instead twisted a bit. So it was a combination of the straight leg, the force of her sprint forward and body weight coming down so hard, and the twisted landing of the foot.

that's what it looked like

slk45
Oct 28th, 2006, 08:59 PM

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/knee/anteriorcruciate.htm:eek: Just looking at the diagram in that link makes my knee hurt!

It says surgery is suitable for younger motivated athletes, and that it is not so suitable for older, inactive persons. Didn't seem to address older athletes, just persons willing to stick with a rehabilitative program due to demands on knees of work or hobbies. Implies it's a more difficult path.

Best wishes for a good recovery, Mary!

hurricanejeanne
Oct 28th, 2006, 09:20 PM
:eek: Just looking at the diagram in that link makes my knee hurt!

It says surgery is suitable for younger motivated athletes, and that it is not so suitable for older, inactive persons. Didn't seem to address older athletes, just persons willing to stick with a rehabilitative program due to demands on knees of work or hobbies. Implies it's a more difficult path.

Best wishes for a good recovery, Mary!

Me too. That looks incredibly painful. No wonder Mary was screaming so loud. :eek: :sad: If it had been me, oh the hysterics. (When I cry I'm a wailer).
Mary is still, even at her age, an athlete. It may take longer for it to heal after surgery and respond to the physical therapy afterwards though. That's worrisome.

All the best Mary. Hopefully the surgery is a success. :)

bmwofoz
Oct 29th, 2006, 01:54 AM
First all the best to Mary.

The worst injuries tend to be those which don't look that bad, Knee injuries are a good example, you will see footballers stuffer major injuries from simple turning or twisting in a manner which they have done a million times before.

morbidangle
Oct 29th, 2006, 09:00 AM
My question is not how.. its WHY?? WHY OH WHY!!!! :sad:

So Disrespectful
Oct 29th, 2006, 09:45 AM
According to financialexpress, an ACL recovery typically takes 6 months. This should be even faster for an athlete. So in reality, Mary could be healed in 4-5 months.

king416
Oct 29th, 2006, 10:42 AM
According to financialexpress, an ACL recovery typically takes 6 months. This should be even faster for an athlete. So in reality, Mary could be healed in 4-5 months.

There would be no point in Mary trying to rush a comeback because remember she is also quite old for an athlete, i think the absolute best she can hope for is a 7 month lay off and return at Roland Garros, but i think it is more likely she will be sidelined for around 10 months. Who knows with Mary though, she seems really determined and i'm sure she will come back and surprise everyone by doing well!