PDA

View Full Version : Mary, it's time...

DevilishAttitude
Oct 28th, 2006, 11:57 AM
OK, I really like Mary, I wouldn't call myself one of her biggest fans here, but I do like her.

And this is why I hope she retires now...

I think it's time because she's 31, she has struggled to get back from a foot injury, but she was showing signs of life at Linz, her movement was OK, but now, her movement will be forever hampered and I think we all know deep down, that Mary will never be reaching slam finals again.

You've had a wonderful career Mary, but end it now. You've done all you can, you've given us great memories, my favourite when she beat Myskina at Fed Cup 2005 from 6-4 4*-1 down and was loved by the French.

Mary, the time has arrived IMO...

:sad:

MistyGrey
Oct 28th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Most people are concerned like you... but Mary told the french press that she would come back, no matter how long it may take! so I hope she knows what she is getting herself into. She is one tough cookie and if anyone can pull another comeback its her.

thrust
Oct 28th, 2006, 12:07 PM
I agree.

Mother_Marjorie
Oct 28th, 2006, 12:10 PM
OK, I really like Mary, I wouldn't call myself one of her biggest fans here, but I do like her.

I think it's time because she's 31, she has struggled to get back from a foot injury, but she was showing signs of life at Linz, her movement was OK, but now, her movement will be forever hampered and I think we all know deep down, that Mary will never be reaching slam finals again.

You've had a wonderful career Mary, but end it now. You've done all you can, you've given us great memories, my favourite when she beat Myskina at Fed Cup 2005 from 6-4 4*-1 down and was loved by the French.

I've always liked Mary's approach to tennis. She's proven that her game was "big" in the last generation and this generation. She did very well in '05. She overcame her family drama, a bad relationship and "big babe" tennis.

However, its time to move on to bigger things in life. There's nothing worse than watching a great in the game live in denial for one great comeback, one that realistically will probably never culminate to her expectations. Think of your future and what tennis has done to your body. Don't risk lifelong complications from injuries.

Appreciate what you have accomplished and look forward to your Hall of Fame Induction.

So Disrespectful
Oct 28th, 2006, 12:15 PM
She has the type of game to play until she's 35 if she wants to.

Mother_Marjorie
Oct 28th, 2006, 12:15 PM

But its become "painfully" obvious she doesn't have the body to do that....

Lindsayfan32
Oct 28th, 2006, 12:21 PM

I'm not a big fan of Mary's either but I think the person who can make that decsion is Mary only she knows how much she loves the game and how much she willing to put herself through to get back and I totally understand why she doesn't want to end it this way she deserves better than that.

Dani12
Oct 28th, 2006, 12:22 PM
She can't retire injured, that wouldn't be nice. I'd love her to retire playing tennis.

So Disrespectful
Oct 28th, 2006, 12:34 PM

Mary has just had a bad run with injuries. Who knows, this could be her last :)

ClaudiaZ-S
Oct 28th, 2006, 12:36 PM

NEVER :fiery:

mike/topgun
Oct 28th, 2006, 12:41 PM
she'll try to get back in 2007, hopefully for RG...
she's a fighter

!<blocparty>!
Oct 28th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Mary doesn't care what you think and it's only time when she says so. Andre was winning slams at 30+ on the ATP. I see no reason why she can't come back and be competitive. It's not like the tour is any good now.

Paneru
Oct 28th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Mary doesn't care what you think and it's only time when she says so. Andre was winning slams at 30+ on the ATP. I see no reason why she can't come back and be competitive. It's not like the tour is any good now.

Speak! :worship:

Mary is gonna do things on
her own terms and some peeps
need to get with it or get off.

So Disrespectful
Oct 28th, 2006, 01:03 PM
I feel so much better when people like blocparty and Paneru make things more positive :D

jayzbee
Oct 28th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Hey Everyone! I just want to share my thought s about Mary Pierce's Injury.check my blog below

http://tenniscrazed.blogspot.com/200...ry-pierce.html

Hey Everyone! I would liketo take this moment to express my concern on Mary Pierce's injury. It was very unfortunate of her to gothru another agony. It's sad to know that she might be sideline again for a while or perhaps the injury
might put an end to her tennis career?. It would be devastating for us Mary Pierce fans, not to see her finishing her career on a positive note. I know it's to soon to tell about the injury , but I might as well be prepared to take the news. I feel in my heart that she still has the will and strength to keep on playing and keep on achieving her tennis goals. She's not done yet!It's just so hard to deal with it when
unexpected things happen. Everything went well according to plan, then injury strikes back!. And if it happened for a reason, why now? why Mary Pierce? We just don't know the answer. I wish this was just a bad dream. But it's not. It actually happened already and I can't take it back. The best thing to do right now is pray for Mary's fast recovery.I know it's not gonna be easy for her and especially not gonna be fun for me. Not seeing her play is one thing I don't look forward too. I've
been to these situation a lot of times before and I'm willing to go thru it again all for the sake of Mary Pierce's fast recovery. She was the reason why I love tennis, She was the reason why I became friends witha lot of tennis fans and she was the reason why I'm experiencing a tennis life right now. In fairness to my other tennis player friends,Tennis will never be the same again for me with out Mary Pierce.Just like basketball will never be the same with out Michael Jordan.Eventually Mary Pierce is gonna retire, when? where? only she knows.And when she does, I hope I'm there at least to give her my support and appreciation. If she reads my letter in the future. I just want to wish her all the Best! And thank her for making me "The Tennis Fan" that I'm today. Thank you for all the memories, good times and bad times. It was worth the ride. I'm proud to say "There is Something about Mary Pierce" you just can't seem to get enough!

I will find a way for her to read your comments. feel free to post them on my blog.

MH0861
Oct 28th, 2006, 01:27 PM
I've always liked Mary's approach to tennis. She's proven that her game was "big" in the last generation and this generation. She did very well in '05. She overcame her family drama, a bad relationship and "big babe" tennis.

However, its time to move on to bigger things in life. There's nothing worse than watching a great in the game live in denial for one great comeback, one that realistically will probably never culminate to her expectations. Think of your future and what tennis has done to your body. Don't risk lifelong complications from injuries.

Appreciate what you have accomplished and look forward to your Hall of Fame Induction.

True, but this could also have been said in 2001-2004 as well. Mary's movement has never been her strong suit - her power, strokes and will always have been. I'm not sure if she can have another 2005-like year again, but I think the main thing is that Mary will refuse to let this knee injury beat her and she'll fight to end her career on her terms.

~Poseidon~
Oct 28th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Not before Mary has won the olympic gold medal in 2008.

Mauresmo Fan
Oct 28th, 2006, 01:40 PM
once mary is striking the ball well she can play on for years to come

Wannabeknowitall
Oct 28th, 2006, 02:05 PM
I don't think it's time yet.
One of the things I remember from 2005 was Mary Pierce at Amelia Island saying she had the belief that she would be a top player again.
Serena after playing her at Amelia Island also believed that to be the case.
Five months later Mary Pierce was a top 8 player who just seemed to be enjoying every moment she was on the court.
If she has the belief, then I don't see anything stopping her.
She's a veteran and knows what she needs to do to get back there.
At the least I see Mary stepping back on the courts of Roland Garros, and finishing off her career there.

S_Fahad
Oct 28th, 2006, 02:40 PM
I hope mary is able to comeback, even if it is just for one last French Open. She deserves to end her career on her terms.

Martian KC
Oct 28th, 2006, 02:42 PM
I want her to go out on her own terms, not from injury.

FrenchY52
Oct 28th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Shut Up :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

vogus
Oct 28th, 2006, 04:05 PM

agree. Pierce is not going to be moving well, especially not after this, but her style of play would still allow her to win matches for several more years in the Top 50. She could very conceivably compete until age 35 - but i very much doubt at anything approaching a Top 10 level.

Chewie
Oct 29th, 2006, 12:08 AM
Yes, it's time. Sorry to say but face it: 2005 was a fluke and she's never going to be a top contender again.

The Daviator
Oct 29th, 2006, 12:12 AM
She's not going to quit now, she'll be in Beijing, she's said it many times that she wants to play there, I reckon she could go on for many years, and I think she will, we won't be saying goodbye to Mary for some time :)

Dokic Pierce
Oct 29th, 2006, 12:16 AM
See http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=271619

Mary is not ready to retire and she is the best judge of that. :worship:

Scotso
Oct 29th, 2006, 01:48 AM

This injury has nothing to do with that. It was a freak injury that could happen to anyone (and happens to many teenagers).

The only painfully obvious thing is that people here think they know more about someone than the person themself. It's getting old.

Scotso
Oct 29th, 2006, 01:48 AM
she is the best judge of that.

Exactly.

DevilishAttitude
Oct 29th, 2006, 02:13 PM

I don't think she cares what you think either :o

Mary and Andre are completely different. Firstly, Andre was still a good mover in his last slam and very consisent. Mary's movement is at best average and her game will not be consisent over 7 matches.

The tour is not weak enough to allow Mary to win slams when she comes back.

True, but this could also have been said in 2001-2004 as well. Mary's movement has never been her strong suit - her power, strokes and will always have been. I'm not sure if she can have another 2005-like year again, but I think the main thing is that Mary will refuse to let this knee injury beat her and she'll fight to end her career on her terms.

Remember though after the injury in 2001, it took Mary 4 years to reach the top again. If this is the same, she'll be 36 by the time it happens again. And surely Mary won't play for that long.