PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about ATP's Round Robin Format for 07? Should WTA Follow?

rhz
Oct 28th, 2006, 10:30 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=AkHv6GUPZTLKprD5ALcU2Jk4v7YF?slug=reu-atproundrobindc&prov=reuters&type=lgns

I think it's a great idea. I'm curious about how does the prize money works? What happened if the last match of the group is a dead rubber? I bet many players would pulled out.

and by doing this, it means that less players will play in the tournaments. Only 32 max (including Qualifying Round) is playing in a draw of 32.

Let see how this will work out. I hope WTA will copy this

Doc
Oct 28th, 2006, 10:36 AM
No. It's going to be a disaster, with loads of dead rubbers. Also it reduces opportunities for other players.

Round Robin is great as a change for the end-of-year Masters, but every big tournament - no way!

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Oct 28th, 2006, 10:40 AM
I hope that WTA doesn't follow. The system of knockout from the begining is still the best. In tennis: You win or you lose, that's it.

What happens when:

1 beat 2 6-0 6-0
2 beat 3 6-0 6-0
3 beat 1 6-0 6-0

Then it's all equal. We should avoid that. KNOCKOUT forever!!! (Masters may be an exception of course)

Mauresmo Fan
Oct 28th, 2006, 10:42 AM
no it will be crap

GoDominique
Oct 28th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Stoooooooooooopid.

RND
Oct 28th, 2006, 10:44 AM
No way.Just keep it simple.That's how sports goes.Why change it. :tape:

Ben.
Oct 28th, 2006, 10:47 AM
i'm totally against it :( it'll be shit :mad: when players play a dead rubber & then decide their not gonna put the effort in 2 play just because they have already qualified 4 the semis or something like that. it takes away the integrity of the game. YEC i don't mind but not the rest of the tourneys though.

LDF
Oct 28th, 2006, 10:50 AM
I don't like it.

Fans won't exactly get too excited about a dead rubber, and neither will a player. It gives them the opportunity to tank a match which is never good to see.

Also, it doesn't necessarily help the growing number of injuries if a player needs to lose two matches instead of 1 to go out of the tournament. :shrug:

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Oct 28th, 2006, 11:03 AM
i hate the idea its gonna ruinn the tour

azdaja
Oct 28th, 2006, 11:06 AM
let's wait and see.

aussie_fan
Oct 28th, 2006, 11:41 AM
I hate what the ATP are doing and i hope WTA don't follow suit. Why change, knockout it and always will be the best system to use.

MrSerenaWilliams
Oct 28th, 2006, 11:45 AM
I think it could be good, but it has to be run correctly

UncleZeke
Oct 28th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Win or go home. Round robin sucks.

Tennace
Oct 28th, 2006, 11:56 AM
That's a bad idea. Maybe try it at 1 or 2 tournaments to try it, but I dont think it will work. If players already qualify, why would they want to try for their final RR match? Also, if lower ranked players play a phenominal match these days and beat a top ranked player in a big upset they would move on, but in the RR format, they would have to play multiple great matches which is less likely, meaning lower ranked players are hurting from this format.

Maybe only 1 or 2 tournaments for the year would be good, but thats it. Keep the tour the same.

Williams-forever
Oct 28th, 2006, 12:04 PM
I like the idea, but really i have to see it in real life before i can conclude anything...:)

Andy T
Oct 28th, 2006, 01:17 PM
All those dead rubbers...
All those RR groups which get f**ked up because players pull out because of injury (real or invented)...

The only place it could work is in a warm up for a major when players want the most match play possible. Otherwise it's a crap idea.