PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia?

supergrunt
Oct 28th, 2006, 02:36 AM
Excuse my ignorance but what happened to this tourney :confused: ?

njnetswill
Oct 28th, 2006, 02:37 AM
It died.

Cat's Pajamas
Oct 28th, 2006, 02:38 AM
Serena sat on it.

supergrunt
Oct 28th, 2006, 02:47 AM
Can I have a serious response :rolleyes: . I asked a serious question (for once :p ) .

MH0861
Oct 28th, 2006, 02:53 AM
It was only used as a YEC warmup, and since the YECs moved from LA to Madrid, there's no need for it anymore.

RJWCapriati
Oct 28th, 2006, 04:59 AM
So I'm guessing since the tournament has been disolved.....All who played the tourney last year won't have a chance to defend those points.....therefore Mauresmo will be losing all the points she got last year from there?

slk45
Oct 28th, 2006, 05:19 AM
Last year was the final year for the Advanta Championships, basically because the YEC moved to Madrid. Players will lose their Philadelphia points unless they "defend" by playing Hasselt or Quebec, which are Tier 3 (Philly was Tier 2).

See this link for a description of the final between Mauresmo & Dementieva:
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/newsroom/?ContentID=30

It would be nice if they could revive the tournament at an earlier time. The Acura Classic will be gone after 2007, so maybe they could fill in the void.

Slumpsova
Oct 28th, 2006, 07:04 AM
i don't think any top players would bother to fly to Philly as long as YEC is held in Europe.

MikeJones
Oct 28th, 2006, 07:28 AM
It was only used as a YEC warmup, and since the YECs moved from LA to Madrid, there's no need for it anymore.

EXACTOMUNDO :worship:

ioni
Oct 28th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Serena sat on it.

:lol:

~Eclipsed~
Oct 28th, 2006, 05:00 PM
It doesn't make sense to have this tournament anymore because none of the top players would show up because of the YEC being in Spain now.

I went to this tournament every year since it's been back(2003). It could also be of poor attendence. The Pavilion was never packed any year that I went. So maybe financially they can't run the tournament anymore.

auntie janie
Oct 28th, 2006, 06:39 PM
It doesn't make sense to have this tournament anymore because none of the top players would show up because of the YEC being in Spain now.

I went to this tournament every year since it's been back(2003). It could also be of poor attendence. The Pavilion was never packed any year that I went. So maybe financially they can't run the tournament anymore.

I disagree. They had quite a decent crowd in the early rounds, especially in comparison with many other WTA events, and they never lacked for sponsors. It was a successful and popular event, and it used to attract a lot of top players; Graf, Hingis, Capriati, Davenport, and most of the others all played here. It's a shame, but I don't think it'll ever be back, especially since they really want to shorten the season. :(

LH2HBH
Oct 28th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Serena sat on it.

:haha:

FrenchY52
Oct 28th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Serena sat on it.

:lol: :tape:

:inlove:
Oct 28th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Only ugly people went and watched matches there. :scratch: Seriously. :shrug: :p They were quite hideous, apart from V.A.S. Power of course. :kiss:

barryproudfoot
Oct 28th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Serena sat on it.

:lol: