PDA

View Full Version : Player(s) That Approach(ed) the Net the Best - in Last 10 Years?

GogoGirl
Oct 27th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Hey All,

When watching many of the younger players today - we see that many are coming forward and taking the ball out of the air. 'Moving On Up' and putting the ball/play - away (coming to the net) sort of speak.

Which players have been the best at it within the last 10?

And which of the up and comers have that great approach play today?

1. Serena
2. Martina H.
3. Venus
4. Lindsay
5. Kim
6. Justine
7. Monica
8. Momo

I'm not totally stuck on the above ladies - but they do stand out in my opinion.

Serena overtook Venus and Martina in that department - eventually. She was always moving on up - and all up at the net and in their faces - and for most the most part when she was on her winning tear. She was moving. LOL!

barryproudfoot
Oct 27th, 2006, 09:13 PM
I really think Sharapova should be No.1 :cool:

hingisGOAT
Oct 27th, 2006, 09:14 PM
well of course im going to say hingis :) she has a great transition game, half-volleys, hits very deep down-the-line approaches and finishes the point with flair at the net.

and although i don't think venus' volleys are spectacular, the speed with which she rushes the net -- one or two fast, long strides -- is impressive and probably frightening for her opponents

Wayn77
Oct 27th, 2006, 09:17 PM
I really think Sharapova should be No.1 :cool:
:lol: :lol:

my fav comer-inners :drool: :drool:
Martina Hingis
Amelie Mauresmo
Justine Henin-Hardenne
Francesca Schiavone
Nadia Petrova
Mary Pierce
Patty Schynder

barryproudfoot
Oct 27th, 2006, 09:21 PM
:worship: Hingis

:ras: everyone else

kiwifan
Oct 27th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Venus' swinging volley and flying overhead slam...

...that's the way to "come in" on a shot. :devil:

It also doesn't hurt that when she is a little more Vanilla at the net, she's the hardest woman to pass in the game. ;)

!<blocparty>!
Oct 27th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Oh wait. I should have read the post.

LDF
Oct 27th, 2006, 09:31 PM
well of course im going to say hingis :) she has a great transition game, half-volleys, hits very deep down-the-line approaches and finishes the point with flair at the net.

and although i don't think venus' volleys are spectacular, the speed with which she rushes the net -- one or two fast, long strides -- is impressive and probably frightening for her opponents

I agree with you on both points. :)