PDA

View Full Version : Mary Pierce Out for Six Months, but Career not Over

Mileen
Oct 27th, 2006, 07:10 PM
http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,14-1238858,00.html

PIERCE OUT FOR SIX MONTHS
Friday 27th October 2006

French player Mary Pierce will be out for an estimated six months following surgery on her left knee.
The 31-year-old ruptured a cruciate ligament in a second-round match against Vera vonareva in the Generali Open.

The former Australian and French Open winner, was 6-4 6-5 up against Russian Zvonareva and had missed three match points, before injuring her knee.

Coach Xavier Moreau has been quick to dismiss any rumours that her career may be over, saying: "It's tough but it's not the end of the world. It's a pity because Mary is feeling great these days.

"She's still in Linz waiting for them to fit a knee brace but we will try to get her back to France as quickly as possible to see Dr Montalvon (French tennis federation doctor).

"Mary did not seem too down, saying there were worse things in life, but I think it might be a bit of a shock when we tell her how long she will be out of tennis."

Pierce, ranked 29th in the WTA standings, had only played eight events this year due to right foot injuries.

RenaSlam.
Oct 27th, 2006, 07:12 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad:

:( :( :(

POOR MARY. GET WELL SOON :sobbing:

NyCPsU
Oct 27th, 2006, 07:14 PM
:sad: mary:hug:

but if anyone can get through this its her, cant wait for your return :D

FrenchY52
Oct 27th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Yes yes we knoww :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:
We're already depressed enough :sad:

leviathane
Oct 27th, 2006, 07:29 PM
her carreer is not over ! very happy , i hope to see again mary playing in RG :)

Mary :hearts: :angel:

pierce0415
Oct 27th, 2006, 07:35 PM
yes I hope Mary will return to play her favorite tournament - Roland Garros in June 2007

although EVERYTHING must go right in her rehab for that to happen

drake3781
Oct 27th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Serious but not a permanent injury, that's good news for Mary! Somehow I think, this is my own personal feeling, that this was destined to happen to give her the time away to explore what is next in her life and move toward it. That's great, though, that she will have the option to return as soon as she is healthy, if that's right for her! :hug:

RJWCapriati
Oct 27th, 2006, 07:48 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

auntie janie
Oct 27th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Aww, poor Mary! :sad: I hope she'll be able to sustain her positive attitude in the months ahead.

MarineGoTati
Oct 27th, 2006, 08:16 PM
I felt pain for her, poor Mary :sad:

Ellery
Oct 27th, 2006, 08:16 PM
:sad: :sad:

fOxYLiCiOuS
Oct 27th, 2006, 09:20 PM
:sad: Mary :hug: :hug:

tennisIlove09
Oct 27th, 2006, 09:22 PM
I think 6 months is being generous. Serena missed more than 6 months with her knee surgery. Rubin missed more than 6 months with her knee injury. I cant remember how long Lindsay missed her with knee injury though.

MH0861
Oct 27th, 2006, 09:31 PM
I think 6 months is being generous. Serena missed more than 6 months with her knee surgery. Rubin missed more than 6 months with her knee injury. I cant remember how long Lindsay missed her with knee injury though.

November - July. :( 8 months.

Gerri
Oct 27th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Poor Mary, she's had so many injuries. She's seems pretty well-grounded though and positive attitudes always help :hug:

Paneru
Oct 27th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Thank God it's not a perminent career-ending
injury. And you've gotta love Mary's perspective.

Luv ya' Mary! :kiss: :hug:

crazyroberto6767
Oct 27th, 2006, 10:20 PM
"Mary did not seem too down, saying there were worse things in life"

That's so "Mary" :bowdown:. Six months is an awful long time, especially for her age, but if anyone can comeback from injuries it's Mary. My best wishes to Mary.

laetitia(jordan)
Oct 27th, 2006, 10:54 PM
continue with poster your messages of support please.
mary needs us

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=271339

Alicia Rocks
Oct 27th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Get better quickly Mary :awww:
You have the best mindset anyone can have! :worship:

Mauresmo Fan
Oct 27th, 2006, 11:12 PM
i cant last 6 months without my mary fix.thank god she will play again:) :) :)

Greenout
Oct 27th, 2006, 11:35 PM
She's a great person.

People were saying how they never seen a player react and be so caring when Vera came around with the ice pack to Mary, but I beg to differ.

Mary herself showed how caring she was in a similar situation back in 1999 RG in the doubles match with Lindsay against Jana Novotna and Natasha Zvereva In the match Jana and Natasha ran into each other, and Jana was knocked down and buckled her ankle. She was rolling in pain, and in tears- Mary came over and was so concerned and talking Jana through it and even massaging her back trying to calm her down. It was very shocking, the Wimbledon champion injured and in pain live on tv. Jana was taken away off the stretcher, and wasn't able to defend her 1998 WIMBEDON title a the following week. Sad, sad, sad day.

It's heartbreaking to see this happen on tv - now twice with Mary on court.

All the best to Mary and her fans, she is a very, very openly caring individual. :)

Scotso
Oct 27th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Get well soon Mary :hug:

Your fans love you :hearts:

selyoink
Oct 28th, 2006, 12:58 AM
If she tore her ACL I would be pretty surprised if she can make it back in only 6 months. I hope she can though.

So Disrespectful
Oct 28th, 2006, 02:41 AM
This is really sad for Mary, but I know she can pull through this.

Harju.
Oct 28th, 2006, 03:56 AM
Mary :hug:
Been a bad season for her :(

Josh.
Oct 28th, 2006, 04:04 AM
poor mary. get well soon eh?? :hug: :)

Je_ne_sais_quoi
Oct 28th, 2006, 04:05 AM
get well soon mary :'(

MrSerenaWilliams
Oct 28th, 2006, 04:10 AM
Get well soon Mary but don't rush it. :hug: Take care of that knee!

Alicein1derland
Oct 29th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Poor, poor Mary. :sad: It was awful to see her writhing in pain on the court, crying out in agony. And so poignant when she gave a brave smile and wave to the crowd as she was being carried off on a stretcher. What a terrible disappointment for her after she was doing so well on her come-back after all her injuries this year. Just a year ago things were so positive for her, and getting better still; and now... It's been so sad to see her sliding down the rankings as each tournament, where she had points to defend, came and went. Well, I really hope she can come back and play Roland Garros, and some other tournaments as well, and that she's able to play to the high standard she sets herself.

On the other hand, I wonder if she'll see this as a sign that it's time to retire. I seem to remember that she was planning to get married in November this year, wasn't she? Not that that's necessarily any reason to stop playing, of course, but it occurs to me that she may feel the time has come to choose other priorities in her life than the constant round of training, playing all over the world, and risking further injury.

Whatever she decides, I'm sure she'll make the decision with her characteristic integrity; and I wish her all the very very best of happiness, whatever she does. :yeah:

Take care of yourself, Mary! :hug: :hug: