PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Maria Sharapova = Rafael Nadal (now) and Lleyton Hewitt (future)?

DoBich
Oct 27th, 2006, 06:10 PM
I can see an analogy between Sharapova, Nadal and Hewitt. Nadal is an overachiever due to his strong will, talent in mind games and desire to win. Hewitt was the same but he got wiser and more mature and lost that killer instinct and went down the rankings. I guess Sharapova can stay on top longer than Hewitt because there is less competition on WTA but I guess the end can be the same.

Just a thought, you may agree or disagree.

Shonami Slam
Oct 27th, 2006, 06:15 PM
i think you have no idea what you are talking about.
age, success and slams might seem somewhat simular - but they are all so very diferent than each other in game-style, on/off court attitude and more than anything, consistency.
all very different.

LH2HBH
Oct 27th, 2006, 06:16 PM
No I see nothing similar at all except maybe age.

Wayn77
Oct 27th, 2006, 06:19 PM
I can see an analogy between Sharapova, Nadal and Hewitt. Nadal is an overachiever due to his strong will, talent in mind games and desire to win. Hewitt was the same but he got wiser and more mature and lost that killer instinct and went down the rankings. I guess Sharapova can stay on top longer than Hewitt because there is less competition on WTA but I guess the end can be the same.

I think you may be talking out of yer ass ....

DoBich
Oct 27th, 2006, 06:19 PM
i think you have no idea what you are talking about.
age, success and slams might seem somewhat simular - but they are all so very diferent than each other in game-style, on/off court attitude and more than anything, consistency.
all very different.

OMG yes Hewitt (in the past), Nadal and Maria are so different in terms of their on court attitude! How did I forget that!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:help: :help: :help: :help:

ezekiel
Oct 27th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Pova doesn't hit fluidly , much like Nadal so both of them will be prone to exhaustion and injuries . Nadal of course is much stronger and muscly which will make his last longer

franny
Oct 27th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Dude, that's so messed up. Sharapova is not an overacheiver. She, unlike Nadal and Hewitt, controls of her own destiny in 99% of her matches. Nadal and Hewitt rely on running shots down and their immaculate defense. As a result, they can only stay on top of the game so long as a more powerful opponent does not blow them off the court. Few players can blow Sharapova off the court. With a serve as big as hers, and groundstrokes as powerful, she's in control of her future. Plus her improving volleys and speed added to her amazing will power shows you that she is not an overacheiver. She is the real deal, and she's worked damn hard for it.

IceHock
Oct 27th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Dude, that's so messed up. Sharapova is not an overacheiver. She, unlike Nadal and Hewitt, controls of her own destiny in 99% of her matches. Nadal and Hewitt rely on running shots down and their immaculate defense. As a result, they can only stay on top of the game so long as a more powerful opponent does not blow them off the court. Few players can blow Sharapova off the court. With a serve as big as hers, and groundstrokes as powerful, she's in control of her future. Plus her improving volleys and speed added to her amazing will power shows you that she is not an overacheiver. She is the real deal, and she's worked damn hard for it.

Nadal hits hard, I don't know what your talking about.His forehand is insanely good and hard and even harder to return with the spin on it.

franny
Oct 27th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Nadal hits hard, I don't know what your talking about.His forehand is insanely good and hard and even harder to return with the spin on it.

And yet he can get overpowered. It's not just about hitting hard, it's about being aggressive. He's been bitch-slapped by Berdych three times this year because Berdych can overpower him. We've seen time and time again that when he is not playing on clay, a big serving hard hitting foe and quite simply overpower him. That is not the case for Sharapova. She plays an aggressive game. Nadal is a defensive player. You cannot deny that. Sure he has a wicked forehand, but he does not overpower players with it outside of clay. On clay, his fate is in the destiny of stronger more powerful players like Berdych and Blake.

Piotr'ek
Oct 27th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Rafa is already a living legend.

morningglory
Oct 27th, 2006, 07:19 PM
No... completely opposite gamestyle...
Masha = 2003 Andy Roddick (serve, agress, and great record in TB)
However Masha also has a good return game and a BH, things Roddick did not have

morningglory
Oct 27th, 2006, 07:21 PM
won't matter how hard Nadal hits if
a) he does not pursue the initiative
b) he stands 10 feet behind the baseline
c) spin is sacrificed for flatness, and flat shots are better offensively

faboozadoo15
Oct 27th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Pova doesn't hit fluidly , much like Nadal so both of them will be prone to exhaustion and injuries . Nadal of course is much stronger and muscly which will make his last longer

just when I thought you couldn't get any dumber...
nadal will NOT have a long career at all.

faboozadoo15
Oct 27th, 2006, 07:25 PM

nadal hits hard, but it's from 10 feet behind the baseline or more. he's playing defense almost all the time.

LH2HBH
Oct 27th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Nadal = SPIN, STRONG DEFENSE

Maria = FLAT, STRONG OFFENSE

These are two huge differences that make this argument pretty much over.

bellascarlett
Oct 27th, 2006, 07:38 PM
No... completely opposite gamestyle...
Masha = 2003 Andy Roddick (serve, agress, and great record in TB)
However Masha also has a good return game and a BH, things Roddick did not have

thus, they aren't the same. Maria's serve was nowhere to be found today and yet she still won. Whereas...ah nevermind...:)

LH2HBH
Oct 27th, 2006, 07:52 PM
OK FINE I'LL DO THIS JUST FOR FUN - there are actually some funny similarities in where they are in their career!

Maria Sharapova (RUS)
Aged: 19
TITLES - 14
Slams - 2
Y.E.C. - 1
Tier I Titles - 4
Other WTA Titles - 7
Career Prize Money - $8,002,352
Career Winning - .8071

Rafael Nadal (ESP)
Aged: 20
TITLES - 17
Slams - 2
Masters Cup - 0
Masters Series Titles - 6
Other ATP Titles - 9
Career Prize Money - $8,006,939
Career Winning - .7869

perseus2006
Oct 27th, 2006, 07:52 PM
You have all forgot that Pova's shrieks are far more intimidating than anything uttered by Rafa or Hewitt. Pova's career will soar as long as the vocal chords hold out.

Aaron68
Oct 27th, 2006, 09:21 PM
I think Maria shares a fierce competitiveness with Lleyton Hewitt. Well, with the pre-marriage, pre-fatherhood LH. Now, Hewitt is a shadow of his former self.

Hewitt was a great player. It pisses me off when people seem to think that he wasn't. I don't know what matches they were watching. But clearly, his best days are behind him. He lost the edge. Lost the fire. I don't know what caused it, but the Lleyton Hewitt I see out there now is just ... well, it's depressing.

Rafa is a different sort of story. He's a freak of nature with a seriously unorthodox game. And he's already starting to bow under the pressure of expectations and a gruelling schedule. On clay, he is the best player in the world, by a little bit. On everything else, he is a distant second, at best. On HC, I don't even think he is that, to be honest.

Maria is the best HC player in the world. On grass, she is near the top. On carpet she is most likely the best. On clay, she isn't there yet. But she *will* be, one day. And she is only 19 years old. During next year's AO, she will still be 19. She has a chance to win her third slam, on her thrid different surface, before the age of 20. That's freaking awesome. And she is still improving, in nearly every aspect of her game.

My prediction (and you will call me crazy; but remember, you heard it here): Maria Sharapova will win the French Open before Rafa Nadal wins anything other than the French Open.

ASerenusFan
Oct 27th, 2006, 09:30 PM

i think its unfair to call Nadal (or anyone else, apart from pale scrawny rat Hewitt) an overacheiver. If you have potential and are living up to it, thats not overacheiving, most of the top players are putting huge amount of effort in and have lots of desire, otherwise wouldn't be there.

ezekiel
Oct 27th, 2006, 09:37 PM
I think Pova is more comparable to Roddick as far as tennis play. Both play instinctivelly and forcefully until someone more technically inclined gives them something to think about

pokey camp
Oct 27th, 2006, 09:57 PM
No. The key here is speed. Both Hewitt and Nadal rely heavily on speed and quickness, so when/ if either of them lose a half step it's completely disastrous.

Sharapova's game is completely different.

Il Primo!
Oct 27th, 2006, 10:00 PM

ok :help:

IceHock
Oct 27th, 2006, 10:03 PM
ok :help:

You think i'm joking?Nadal has one of the best forehands in the mens game, he can hit a winner from anywhere off of it.

Il Primo!
Oct 27th, 2006, 10:04 PM
I think Pova is more comparable to Roddick as far as tennis play. Both play instinctivelly and forcefully until someone more technically inclined gives them something to think about

No. Roddick is just a serve, Maria is NOT!
I mean Roddick FH is not that dangerous and his BH is quite crappy.

Maria's BH is technically perfect and very deep. Maria's FH can be extremly accurate if it's on. Technique and variety don't have the same meaning. Maria's technique is very good( except volleys), but it's true that, like Roddick, she lacks variety

Lefty.
Oct 28th, 2006, 02:07 AM
You think i'm joking?Nadal has one of the best forehands in the mens game, he can hit a winner from anywhere off of it.

Nadal has a nice forehand, but Federer anyone? ;)

Si_Hi
Oct 28th, 2006, 02:12 AM
these 3 people are different at all:weirdo:

WIMBLY2004
Oct 28th, 2006, 02:15 AM
No. Roddick is just a serve, Maria is NOT!
I mean Roddick FH is not that dangerous and his BH is quite crappy.

Maria's BH is technically perfect and very deep. Maria's FH can be extremly accurate if it's on. Technique and variety don't have the same meaning. Maria's technique is very good( except volleys), but it's true that, like Roddick, she lacks variety

And Maria plays a far more aggressive game than Roddick and has more and better weapons.

Dan23
Oct 28th, 2006, 02:23 AM
I think Pova is more comparable to Roddick as far as tennis play. Both play instinctivelly and forcefully until someone more technically inclined gives them something to think about:lol: :o

I think Maria shares a fierce competitiveness with Lleyton Hewitt. Well, with the pre-marriage, pre-fatherhood LH. Now, Hewitt is a shadow of his former self.

Hewitt was a great player. It pisses me off when people seem to think that he wasn't. I don't know what matches they were watching. But clearly, his best days are behind him. He lost the edge. Lost the fire. I don't know what caused it, but the Lleyton Hewitt I see out there now is just ... well, it's depressing.true :cool:

He's been bitch-slapped by Berdych three times this year because Berdych can overpower him...but Berdych is a 'stupid player' :hehehe:

Shoulderpova
Oct 28th, 2006, 02:26 AM
this is stupid comparison :silly:

Junex
Oct 28th, 2006, 03:00 AM
WHATEVER!!!!!

I like Maria
I hate Nadal
I love Lleyton!!!!

myxomatosis
Oct 28th, 2006, 03:27 AM
WHATEVER!!!!!

I like Maria
I hate Nadal
I love Lleyton!!!!My feelings exactly! :D

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Oct 28th, 2006, 05:58 AM
have you ever seen them play tennis you fool

lilimi
Oct 28th, 2006, 07:47 AM
sharapova = roddick
their games are based on thier serves at 110%

WIMBLY2004
Oct 28th, 2006, 07:54 AM
sharapova = roddick

Then Ivanovic must be some awful player as she couldn't even beat a Maria with only 59% first serve in :lol:

lilimi
Oct 28th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Then Ivanovic must be some awful player as she couldn't even beat a Maria with only 59% first serve in :lol:

:tape: :tape: :tape: if you love maria, you know that her second serve is one of the best in the world, she may be the best server of the history of tennis;) . 59% is not so bad, considering maria is not the one to serve 150km/h serves.ana is a great player.but i don't think it's the perfect topic to talk about her.

bellascarlett
Oct 28th, 2006, 08:28 AM
sharapova = roddick

:rolleyes:

WIMBLY2004
Oct 28th, 2006, 09:42 AM
:tape: :tape: :tape: if you love maria, you know that her second serve is one of the best in the world, she may be the best server of the history of tennis;) . 59% is not so bad, considering maria is not the one to serve 150km/h serves.ana is a great player.but i don't think it's the perfect topic to talk about her.

why not, it's just an example, when you said Maria's game was 110% serve, you would expect Maria loss on a bad serve day, but what happened was Maria won, so we could only conclude that either Maria had more than her serve, or her component sucked.

About her second serve, no matter how good her second serve is, it is still worse than a good player's first serve, do you really believe Maria can win with her second serve alone? I bet Maria would be extremely flattered if she knows you think so :lol:

fufuqifuqishahah
Oct 28th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Maria is the best HC player in the world. On grass, she is near the top. On carpet she is most likely the best. On clay, she isn't there yet. But she *will* be, one day. And she is only 19 years old. During next year's AO, she will still be 19. She has a chance to win her third slam, on her thrid different surface, before the age of 20. That's freaking awesome. And she is still improving, in nearly every aspect of her game.

My prediction (and you will call me crazy; but remember, you heard it here): Maria Sharapova will win the French Open before Rafa Nadal wins anything other than the French Open.

maria is not the best HC player in the world. She is ONE of the best , but she is not THE best. Right now, I dont see how u could make the argument that she WILL be the best in clay or close to it eventually... she'll have to learn to change up her game style a lot in order or that to happen.

Rafa Nadal has a much better chance of winning something other than the French than Maria winning the French.

mike/topgun
Oct 28th, 2006, 12:36 PM
:lol:

Maria is so much more aggressive than Hewitt and Nadal put toghether:tape:
She's in control of her matches - she makes the errors and she wins the points most of the time, so NO there's no there's no analogy between them:)