PDA

View Full Version : Russian cinema thread

ys
Jun 12th, 2002, 05:40 PM
It is not that I watch a lot of Russian movies, though I have like 50 tapes with many Soviet/Russian classics.. And each time one of my friends or relatives crosses the pond westwards I am getting to see some new tapes/DVDs..
This week I happen to see "Vojna" ( War ) by Balabanov.. First of all, the movie is perhaps socially honest, well made, but I found it to be quite an unpleasant experience. Well, it is about war, so perhaps it was supposed to be so. The movie is very negative, the scene with hero's father seem to be created with exclusive purpose of speaking out the movie's manifesto - "Хорошо что был на войне. Война из парня мужика делает", "В мужике сила, всё на нём держится", "Сейчас бы встать да на войну", "Разлюбил - бросай".. Also Mr. Bodrov is highly inconvincing as captured paratrooper officer. He does not exactly look like someone living in "zindan" and starving.. All heroes are bulletproof, but that's OK.. Anyone seen this one?

Cassius
Jun 12th, 2002, 10:07 PM
I've seen 1 movie that is Russian (at least, the TV guide said it was Russian. It was a dubbed movie so I couldn't tell what language it was). It was about Russian jews and it was set just before the second world war (I'm not sure when the film was made though). I forgot what it was called. I lost the plot about half way through.
Was 'Battleship Potemkin' a Russian film? Or was it set on a Russian ship? Or am I getting confused because the Russian government banned it from showing in their country? I probably am getting confused:confused: .

Nina_rus
Jun 17th, 2002, 07:16 AM
Battleship Potemkin is a Russian movie it's known as the greatest Russian movie of all time (shame on me but I've never seen it)

I haven't seen Vojna, I've read the reviews and heard some people (incl. my mom) say it's terrible so I didn't watch it, no regrets now.

spiceboy
Jun 17th, 2002, 07:31 PM
Have you seen "The thief" ("Vor", or something like that...)?

It's so good, you have to rent it :)

fresh2flash
Jun 18th, 2002, 06:48 AM
I`ve seen Balabanov`s Brat2 and that was enough for me. I don`t like that sort of movie. And I`ve heard even worse about Vojna from people to whose taste I trust.

Russian movie is rather dead. From all I`ve seen in the last 5 years I only liked "Imperium under the threat" serial and "Teletz" by Sokurov.