PDA

View Full Version : Oh NO... Kim has split up with Carl Maes!!!!!!!!

Come-on-kim
Jun 12th, 2002, 05:39 AM
I just heard that on the news here in Belgium.

they said that Belgium number 1 tennis player has split up with her Coach Carl Maes.

But they didn't say why?

Do you have other informations??

I'm so sad, I though their partnership was perfect

:sad: :sad:

Who'll be her coach now???

gokimmie
Jun 12th, 2002, 05:41 AM
WHAT!?OMG:eek:
i loved him:sad:
maybe this explains the "strange kim" we've been seeing?

Penguin
Jun 12th, 2002, 05:59 AM
figures, now finally mrs_guga knows how to pronounce his name... :sad:

gokimmie
Jun 12th, 2002, 06:17 AM
it's official,it's true:sad:
they don't know who will be her new coach.

KaseyL
Jun 12th, 2002, 06:35 AM
This is the statement. I've done a quick translation.

June 12, 2002

Kim Clijsters and Carl Maes have decided to stop their collaboration after mutual consultation. Maes was the coach of Kim during the past six years.

Carl Maes' new and other interests are the motive for this untimely split.
And the number five in the world was also of the opinion that ‘a new turn in her coaching’ was possible.
Both Clijsters and Maes stress that neither results, neither other offers from coaches/players have something to do with the end of their professional relation.
After almost seven years (note: Carl prolonged his contract -for the seventh time- for another year last October) they ‘part ways in the best possible circumstances and express respect for each others achievements, person, and efforts during the past years.’

in Dutch it reads:
'Na onderling overleg hebben Kim Clijsters en Carl Maes besloten om hun samenwerking te beëindigen. Maes was zes jaar trainer van de Limburgse.

Nieuwe en andere interesses voor de tennistrainer zijn de aanleiding voor "de vroegtijdige breuk". En onze nummer vijf van de wereld vond eveneens dat "een nieuwe wending in haar tennisbegeleiding mogelijk" was.

Zowel Clijsters als Maes benadrukken dat noch resultaten, noch andere aanbiedingen van spelers/coaches iets te maken hebben met het stopzetten van de werkrelatie.

Na bijna zeven jaar (Carl Maes verlengde in oktober voor de zevende maal op rij zijn contract voor één jaar, nvdr) gaan beiden "in de best mogelijke omstandigheden uit mekaar en uiten respect voor elkaars prestaties, persoon en inzet over de jaren heen."

Sarah
Jun 12th, 2002, 07:02 AM
This can't be good....
I hope it won't screw up Wimbledon
DON'T LET US DOWN KIM !?!?

keta
Jun 12th, 2002, 07:32 AM
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: awwwwww kimmie and Carl split up!!
i dunt know maybe its for the best:confused: :confused:

irma
Jun 12th, 2002, 07:37 AM
I hope it will do her good
any news who might be her new coach?

KaseyL
Jun 12th, 2002, 07:47 AM
nothing yet

Gonzo Hates Me!
Jun 12th, 2002, 08:48 AM
Hehe Penguin! You guys, I am crying! :sad: This is horrible, I would only cry more if Guga broke with Larri, but that will never happen 'cause Larri is the father Guga lost at 11 y.o.

KaseyL
Jun 12th, 2002, 10:04 AM
FYI

the text I 've translated is the one that has been issued by Carl to Belgian press agency Belga this morning.

This is 100% no rumour, speculation or anything else than fact. The Belgian press is starting to bring the news on their websites, it's on the Belgian radio and TV news now too.

-Fienesse-
Jun 12th, 2002, 11:10 AM
So Carl won't be there at Wimbledon?? Will she play without coach then?

KaseyL
Jun 12th, 2002, 11:41 AM
further news:

Carl has given an interview to Flemish TV.

Overall, he said that he stops the coaching of Kim with immediate effect. So he won't be her coach neither in Rosmalen, nor Wimbledon.

Lleyton's coach, Jason Stoltenberg, will take over for the time being, in order to help Kim bridging the period until she has a new coach.

He said that they have had a splendid 7 years together.
He felt that it was becoming an empty existence, and had mentioned that feeling several times in the past.

He also added that he would have stopped earlier, if it wouldn't have been for Kim. Because of Kim, he stayed on these many years.

He added that the challenge was gone, as Kim has reached already an enormous high level, and that working one-on-one with a player was becoming a little bit too dull.

He reaffirmed that he didn't quit neither because of the latest results, nor that Kim would have someone else in mind, or nor because that he would have some offer from another player.

He now wants to take some time off, some sabbatical weeks, and finally think about himself first, instead of for someone else.

Note: this is no transcript of the interview, as I didn't had the time.

A hint for the people understanding Dutch:
in case you want to watch this interview online, it should be up by now on: http://www.vtm.be/asx/vtmnieuws13uur.asx

Come-on-kim
Jun 12th, 2002, 04:31 PM
So, it'll be Jason, and after that?

Frau Antje
Jun 12th, 2002, 04:55 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad:

KaseyL
Jun 12th, 2002, 06:48 PM
have updated the report about Carl's TV interview: check my original message for more please.

Mazza
Jun 12th, 2002, 06:54 PM
Thanx for the articles Ingrid :)

Aww! noooo! :sad: I really liked Carl! Well all the best to him :)

KaseyL
Jun 12th, 2002, 09:10 PM
Highlights from Carl's interview with La Libre, June 12

(translated)

The sympathetic coach from Limburg, Carl Maes said: ‘Several elements played a role in this decision. First, since several months I am no longer finding pleasure in working with only Kim. I can’t blame her for anything, on the contrary, but what I did lately with Kim, that’s is not my thing (not his style). All that time that has passed, without doing a thing outside training. I had too much free time. The most important part of my job, that’s what I have done in the past. I don’t see what more I can contribute to Kim.’

His wish to realise other projects played also a role. ‘Yes, there are many things I would like to realise and spend time on, as well as in regard to my family.’

Carl Maes doesn’t want to give more details re these projects but certain rumours are indicating that it might well be that he gets a job at the WTA. Unless he would go back to his first love; coaching juniors? To be continued…

Carl was asked if the moment was well-chosen, as Wimbledon was coming up. He isn’t worried though: ‘At the moment, Kim is almost all the time with Lleyton, and is benefiting from his ultra-professional team. She can count on Jason Stoltenberg, Lleyton’s coach, and on the physiotherapist, the fitness trainer,… She isn’t alone. However it is evident that she has to find a solution during summer.’

KaseyL
Jun 12th, 2002, 10:44 PM
and then this:

Statement of Lei Clijsters

(translated)

‘We part ways in friendship. Carl wants to explore new horizons and to be more with his family. We respect that. He has done an excellent job and we are grateful for it. We wish him every success.’

Lei praises Carl: ‘As a coach he is lonely at the top. He has also evolved as person and as coach. Kim can count on Lleyton, and if need be on his coach Jason Stoltenberg.

First, we want to recruit a physiotherapist. A woman, because that helps the job in the women’s tour. It will be a full-time job, because she will have to travel together with Kim, 180 days a year.

As to the coach, we are looking out for one. It certainly won’t be Ann Devries, the coach of Elke, nor Sabine Appelmans, of we were thinking too. Both just got a baby and informed us that they have their work cut out with it. The coach isn’t so urgent. We can wait until Stanford, or even until October. So much is certain that it has to be a man.’

source: De Standaard newspaper group, June 13, 2002

KaseyL
Jun 12th, 2002, 11:30 PM
and this:

(translated)

The timing surprised even insiders.

Carl: ‘I do think it’s a good moment. I was playing with the idea since some time. It is like a bucket that is slowly overflowing. Suddenly it is full. I found it to be my duty to inform Lei first, and then Kim, rather than waiting another few months. I have experienced six splendid years with Kim. I didn’t made Kim who she is now, but I did guide and encourage her. Only that is to my credit. She is at the top now. I can’t contribute much more. My role became gradually smaller. The most important work has been done in the past. Kim is leaving more regularly, she is in Australia three months a year. And she has what she needs to have in tennis matters in fact.

We have discussed it with Jason Stoltenberg, coach of Lleyton Hewitt, and fitness trainer Mark Waters, in order to find out if they could take over my role in the next couple of months. That was no problem. If in the future it would be the case that she will need another coach, she will definitely find one. And she has my phone number in case of a real need. I am always willing to helping her if need be.’

Carl said goodbye to Kim and Lei before Kim left for London. ‘We have pampered each other with gifts’, he said. ‘It was a healthy goodbye, no adieu for ever. A healthy emotional moment. Now we will go our own way. I want to spend time with my family the next months. I have been away from home so many times that I have to make up for something. And then I will look out for a new job. Not a personal coach but I have contacts with the WTA for some management function. I am not worried.

I expect from Kim that she will proof herself. Her serve can be better and she has not yet that untouchable charisma of both the Williamses or Capriati. However, I don’t doubt that it will come!’

source: De Standaard newspaper group, June 13

keta
Jun 13th, 2002, 06:40 AM
thankz for all teh articles ingrid!!:bounce: :bounce:
still a really big shock about kim and Carlthough:confused: :confused:

Frau Antje
Jun 13th, 2002, 06:36 PM
As to the coach, we are looking out for one. It certainly won’t be Ann Devries, the coach of Elke, nor Sabine Appelmans, of we were thinking too.

Sabine :sad:
(it would be so great to see her back on tour ...) :sad:

KaseyL
Jun 13th, 2002, 09:24 PM
Not really a surprise that Sabine turned it down: she quited her job at the Flemish Public TV for family reasons this spring.

They would have made a good team though. Sabine has been her tour mentor after all and they know each other pretty well.

Come-on-kim
Jun 14th, 2002, 06:18 AM
I want a Sabine and Kim team!!!

Why can't she travel with all her family?? LOL, it'll be great!!!

~|Naomi|~
Jun 14th, 2002, 07:30 AM
I agree Sabine and Kim would be so good

Im still upset about the split too

Can't think of anyone who will replace Carl, anyone have any suggestions?

Maybe that dutch guy, Eric Van Harpen?
Or Filip De Wulf (sorry about the spelling)

KaseyL
Jun 14th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Very good thing you brought up, Kim&lleytonrule!

Filip Dewulf would be a great candidate, has it all:
has been a Belgian topplayer, knows the ins and outs, only out of the circuit since a relatively short period of time, suitable character: he's serious, but not boring, committed, down-to-earth, not arrogant at all,... , and a nice guy, talkative ;) , and from Limburg... :hearts:

I bet that he is going to be on Lei and Kim's short list! :)

Maybe Filip could use the following as his application: ;)

Read here what he has said about Kim in a column in a Belgian sports magazine, publicised in May this year.

This article by Filip shows such a fantastic admiration for Kim, it's so full of praise, that I love posting it here again. Enjoy!

"
Belgian former tennis player Filip Dewulf comments about Kim:

A girl, not a robot.
Kim Clijsters is a phenomenon. An unequalled fighting machine and an ideal daughter-in-law presented in a strapping body.
Filip Dewulf analyses the charming young lady from Bree for you.

Kim Clijsters conquers the world in an astonishing manner. Not only does she conquer the world rankings more and more, but in the hearts of people there is more and more a place for the Limburg girl.
It is rare to see so much playfulness, sincerity and a down-to-earth attitude in a world star to be. It is amazing how easy the daughter of Lei and Els stays upright in a world that is characterized by show, competitiveness and internal competition.

Kim stays true to herself and by doing so she gains the confidence of her colleagues and the appreciation of the public.
The people around her support her sense for realism and keep their down-to-earth attitude with the same ease. Coach Carl Maes wouldn’t be the first coach who feels himself, and pretends to be, more important than his protégé.
With the results he obtained, it would be for other people far more difficult to remain in the shadow and not scream out loud that their part in the success was of capital importance. However, he remains coolness itself and a big part of the tennis world is finding their way to sympathetic Carl.

Father Lei pulls the rest of the strings in a firm manner. The Golden Shoe of 1988 sometimes comes across rather surly and his seeming disinterest for the career of his daughter has often a not so genuine touch to it, but his presence does have a positive influence on the performance of his dear daughter. Kim is anything but a plaything of the press and, also thanks to father Lei’s shielding, she can more or less afford herself some sort of freedom of movement.

Playful Kim doesn’t know any boundaries on court either. Her game is complete and applicable on all surfaces. She prefers hardcourts and grass, because it suits her powerful baseline game best. But she is also more than strong enough on the slower clay courts. Just like in Paris last year, Clijsters showed in Hamburg what she can do on clay.
She surprised friend and enemy with top level clay court tennis and a victory over the semi-official number one in the world.

After she got run over in the first set by rolling-machine Venus Williams, she kept her cool, stayed patient in the rallies, and pulled up her level. It became truly world-class tennis in which the game of Venus grew pale.
With her first serve Kim often laid out the basis to get the initiative back into her hands, and then the second serve was excellently adapted, through which she never had to surrender control at all.
She dictated with forehand and backhand, and regularly got a winner when she sped up. As soon as she had found an opening in the famous wall of Venus, Kim always came very suitably to the net to clinch the matter with a drive volley. To make it all even more confusing to her opponent, a drop shot was regularly taken out of her arsenal in a clever manner.

But the most impressive of all is again her famous spreading position. Not for nothing the daughter of a Belgian gymnastics champion, Kim is making a name and fame for herself through her daring defensive technique. With this technique she retrieves an enormous amount of balls and it is especially very handy on the slow clay courts. The sliding is exemplary and makes the difference between Williams and her on the red surface.

Still a bit more than Justine Henin, and just like her boyfriend Hewitt with the men, Kim sets the standard when it comes to legwork, to the extent that the technique she uses has never been seen in women’s tennis.
The last part of a run for a difficult ball is concluded by planting the foot firmly on the ground. One jumps extra to the ball as it were. It gives a better balance and even more range. Kim masters it perfectly and applies it on every surface like a real daredevil. It is seen a lot in men’s, but first introduced at the women by our two Belgian ambassadors.

The physical capacity of Clijsters is really astonishing. During a match, she naturally is almost each time the one who is dictating the rallies. But even after three tough sets in difficult conditions, she stays as fresh as a daisy on court. Check last year’s Roland Garros.

Blessed with the physical capacities of her father and the suppleness of her mother, it is a real ace in women’s tennis today. Seles, Davenport, and Hingis don’t have these possibilities. It gives her an extra value in the heavy battle at the top.
Sometimes there are casualties during these continuous hostilities.
The season is long and demanding. Not even Kim could escape the injury epidemic that haunted the circuit.

An arm injury seemed to stop her vigorous run. At least it caused a difficult start of the season with a painful Australian Open. After doctor’s advice it was decided to set up a select revalidation program and to play a limited tournament schedule.
Now and then the troubles of the injury still emerge. Lack of match rhythm and reactions of muscles after a long period of inactivity meant that Kim couldn’t always go all the way. Even the feasibility of the daring scheme, with the enforced rests after periods of action, was doubted.

Something striking during this recent period in her career was the serenity in which she dealt with the injury. In a world where in season and out of season doctors certificates are waved about in order not to be forced to admit that one is beaten by a better one, blonde Kim never hid herself behind the plagued arm.
Patience and a correct evaluation of the condition were preached, with the known result.

Of course, the mental qualities of the Limburg teenager have been beyond any doubt for a long time. She is a fighter of the purest blood. Examples of her all-bounds exceeding persistence are numerous. In Hamburg she got a real spanking in the first set, but didn’t let it get to her. At Roland Garros she was in a seemingly lost position against a direct Belgian competitor, but she never surrendered. This part of her class is also somehow genetically determined. One of the characteristics of Lei Clijsters was his mental toughness during a match.
And mother Els too has experienced and has overcome enough setbacks in her life.

Kim’s driven nature is prompted by an enormous love of tennis. She was and still is possessed by the game, and as a kid she had to be dragged off the court just to get her to put the racquet aside for a bit.
Her will to win is indelible. But maybe the most important thing of all is that she is excellent in keeping her emotions on and off court separated. She strolls through the circuit like nothing can touch her and lives a happy life. She is an ideal cocktail to become a real champion.

She is already a champion in the eyes of her continuously growing number of fans, with all the expectations that come along with it. But she still is just a girl, not robot. And that’s why she was kicked out in the first round in Berlin instead of reaching the second round. An exhausting week at the tough clay of Hamburg had claimed its victim, and it’s almost a given fact that the winner of a tournament will always have a tough first round in the next tournament.

Kim is not invincible. She is only 18. There will be some hitches, now and then, and it will surprise the people but the best horse stumbles sometimes, especially when it’s only a foal. She has made so much improvement and impressed the people so many times, that one might start to think that she is infallible. She knows better, though.

Until now her career has only gone crescendo. Even a nasty injury couldn’t spoil it.
The right sorts of people to guide her surround Kim. She walks a path of hard work and through this, will probably improve. It is something she has continuously done so far, as she proved again in Hamburg. For the first time she could clinch victory over one of the Williams sisters

Her tennis technique is better than the Williams sisters, although she hasn’t reached the same strength on fast surfaces until now, but that can also be fixed with a bit more experience and insight.
Her mental strength is okay; the body must endure and a bit of luck is needed, and then she’ll end up at the absolute top: being the number one in the world!
She makes a unique pair with her Australian boyfriend. Maybe she would give it all up, say goodbye to the whole tennis world and start a family. If the baby is not going to be a tennis player then…!"
END OF ARTICLE

(hope Lleyton won't object LOL!) ;)

Josh
Jun 14th, 2002, 09:35 AM
I dunno about Filip....He never felt good on the tennis tour and mentally he was very fragile. So I don't know if he would be a good trainer for Kim....

Too bad Sabine turned it down but I expect her to make a comeback on the WTA tour, not as a player of course ;), cause she just loves tennis.

Georgia
Jun 17th, 2002, 11:50 PM
I do not know about Sabine, you guys. I mean, I heard her say on an interview once that she threw most of her tennis trophies away. I mean, she completely did not want anything to do with tennis anymore.

KaseyL
Jun 18th, 2002, 01:13 PM
Sabine is commentator for several tennis matches on Canvas, don't think she does something else right now.