PDA

View Full Version : what's wrong with WTA tour rankings ?

leviathane
Oct 6th, 2006, 01:16 PM
This week :
Nicole Pratt top 76 :eek:
Camille Pin top 77 :eek: :eek:

congrats girls but i think it's just embarrassing for players behind :rolleyes:

GoDominique
Oct 6th, 2006, 01:26 PM
There's nothing wrong with the rankings.

There is something "wrong" with the WTA tour, and that's the lack of depth.
On the men's tour, someone with Pin's limited game wouldn't even be top 1000.
On the women's tour, Pin can survive. You can't blame her for exploiting the weakness of the tour. Go Camille!

pierce0415
Oct 6th, 2006, 01:28 PM
and Martina Muller is Top 35

LefandePatty
Oct 6th, 2006, 01:33 PM

:o

crazillo
Oct 6th, 2006, 02:35 PM

Only due to challengers...

Ellery
Oct 6th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Pratty and Cam :worship: :hearts:

vesanto
Oct 6th, 2006, 02:49 PM
I think that Camile is hugely underrated...obviously she doesn't have that great tennis but at least she is consistent and I think that these players that you mentioned work and suffer a lot to be at that positions so their work is finally worth it...they need to play almost every week to be there but at leat they are making an effort (and to be honest, I don't see many differences in playing a tier III or IV and playing a 75k challenger, for example...).

This happens everywhere, for example at school, there are students that really need to study a lot to obtain good results but in the end they manage to do it...there are others that are naturally talented for that and don't need much study, still they reach better results than the first ones...but sometimes, the worker ones obtain better results than the more talented but lazy students...

vesanto
Oct 6th, 2006, 02:51 PM
There's nothing wrong with the rankings.

There is something "wrong" with the WTA tour, and that's the lack of depth.
On the men's tour, someone with Pin's limited game wouldn't even be top 1000.
On the women's tour, Pin can survive. You can't blame her for exploiting the weakness of the tour. Go Camille!

Yeah, in the men's tour, almost always is possible to expect the number 1000 in the world to have a close match to even a top 20 player. The same does not happen in the women's tour...

RND
Oct 6th, 2006, 03:01 PM
I think that Camile is hugely underrated...obviously she doesn't have that great tennis but at least she is consistent and I think that these players that you mentioned work and suffer a lot to be at that positions so their work is finally worth it...they need to play almost every week to be there but at leat they are making an effort (and to be honest, I don't see many differences in playing a tier III or IV and playing a 75k challenger, for example...).

This happens everywhere, for example at school, there are students that really need to study a lot to obtain good results but in the end they manage to do it...there are others that are naturally talented for that and don't need much study, still they reach better results than the first ones...but sometimes, the worker ones obtain better results than the more talented but lazy students...
Good example.:yeah:,anyway they just manage to be on those positions.

Shonami Slam
Oct 6th, 2006, 03:06 PM
powderpufpin is one of the top ITF players, always ready to exploit the inconsistency illness of so many plyers.

rhz
Oct 6th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Muller as top 35 is so wrong!!

RJWCapriati
Oct 6th, 2006, 04:30 PM
LOL Muller will probably be top 20 as much as she plays!

greenbanana
Oct 6th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Muller as top 35 is so wrong!!

:worship:

Highlandman
Oct 6th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Muller is #38. :p

mel66000
Oct 6th, 2006, 08:57 PM
When you look at her wta profile you realize that there's no secret about Camille's ranking : she mostly plays on ITF events where she's among top seeds. She wins many points by facing lower ranked players. Look at her run to victory in Lexington 50K this summer : the best player she faced was ranked 143; same situation in two 75K where she reached the final. But it's more difficult for her when she plays better ranked player on wta tour ( a lot of first round defeats ); her last main draw victory in a wta event was in Indian wells.
Her run in Tokyo this week is not surprising : after Danilidou's retirement, her matches until semis were very winnable. If she beats Bartoli, she will probably win her first wta title.
Mental, experience and consistence are her weapons.
She will play ITF tournaments again next weeks. She lacks of convincing wins but no doubt she will be a top 50 player very soon, maybe by the end of the season...

leviathane
Oct 6th, 2006, 10:24 PM
She will play ITF tournaments again next weeks. She lacks of convincing wins but no doubt she will be a top 50 player very soon, maybe by the end of the season...

A top 50 player :eek: i think you're very optimistic :tape:

Dani12
Oct 6th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Go Pratty. Underrated ;)