PDA

View Full Version : How come Hopman Cup matches don't count towards head-to-heads?

Just Justine
Oct 6th, 2006, 03:24 AM
But Davis Cup and Fed Cup matches do? I have looked up the head-to-head records for certain players that I know played at Hopman Cup last year, and there's no record of those particular matches.

bello
Oct 6th, 2006, 05:35 AM
Thats silly..they should.

I guess they are considered as exhibition matches when it comes to official stats!

Prizeidiot
Oct 6th, 2006, 05:39 AM
Hmm... I thought they changed it a couple of years back so that Hopman Cup matches did count now...

bis2806
Oct 6th, 2006, 05:47 AM
Coz Hopman Cup is just an exhibition tournament like Hongkong's Watsons.

dany.p
Oct 6th, 2006, 05:49 AM
they did change it so that they count, and then changed it back again. I think they shouldn't count cause its basically an exhibition with no ranking points.

DutchieGirl
Oct 6th, 2006, 05:51 AM
Hmm... I thought they changed it a couple of years back so that Hopman Cup matches did count now...

They did change it, and they are meant to.

DutchieGirl
Oct 6th, 2006, 05:52 AM
they did change it so that they count, and then changed it back again. I think they shouldn't count cause its basically an exhibition with no ranking points.

When did they change it back?

And then why do Olympics, Fed Cup count? They are also no points tourneys (save the 1 year of points for Ollies).

Orion
Oct 6th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Is it because it's a mixed-doubles centric thing? I mean, it's not really an important tournament. There aren't any huge national events because a country wins the Hopman Cup.

cfc_4_ever
Oct 6th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Is it because it's a mixed-doubles centric thing? I mean, it's not really an important tournament. There aren't any huge national events because a country wins the Hopman Cup.

There was when Slovak Republic won a couple of years ago. Also if Australia ever win we would probley he a national holiday!!! LOL! When is there a huge national event for a tennis win. If there is the swiss must be pretty tired with all of rogers wins

Erika_Angel
Oct 6th, 2006, 07:37 AM
Meh who cares. It isn't like Head 2 Heads mean anything other than popping them on the tv screen.

TomTennis
Oct 6th, 2006, 08:29 AM
If you look at Serena/Clijsters head to head on itftennis, their hopman cup match is included in their head to head.

http://www.itftennis.com/womens/players/headtohead.asp?player=20007765&opponent=20011723

DutchieGirl
Oct 6th, 2006, 09:03 AM
If you look at Serena/Clijsters head to head on itftennis, their hopman cup match is included in their head to head.

http://www.itftennis.com/womens/players/headtohead.asp?player=20007765&opponent=20011723

Yes, itftennis includes them, WTA doesn't on their head to head things though.

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Oct 6th, 2006, 10:00 AM
because i think its an exhibition

dany.p
Oct 7th, 2006, 12:56 AM

And then why do Olympics, Fed Cup count? They are also no points tourneys (save the 1 year of points for Ollies).

2002 was the first year that Hopman cup matches were recognised as itf matches and included in head to head and player activity records. I'm not sure exactly when they changed them back but if you look at this years matches at Hopman cup, none of them are included.

DutchieGirl
Oct 7th, 2006, 02:05 AM
2002 was the first year that Hopman cup matches were recognised as itf matches and included in head to head and player activity records. I'm not sure exactly when they changed them back but if you look at this years matches at Hopman cup, none of them are included.

They aren't on WTA, but they are on ITF - so there is some confusion...but none of the HC matches are included on WTA, even from when they were meant to be, so that doesn't really solve the problem. ;)

fammmmedspin
Oct 7th, 2006, 02:18 AM

And why not give points for Hopman when its the same format as the YEC and has similar entry constraints as the olympics......

Mr_Molik
Oct 7th, 2006, 02:20 AM
i think it should. i mean, its not like anyone goes out there to lose. players often try that little bit harder when they are playing for their country.

Prizeidiot
Oct 7th, 2006, 03:16 AM
i think it should. i mean, its not like anyone goes out there to lose. players often try that little bit harder when they are playing for their country.
Really it's all Marat Safin's fault :p

Last year he played so shithouse in the Hopman cup, lost all three singles matches, even got bagelled by Sanguinetti, and was absolute deadweight losing all the doubles matches and having Gisela Dulko hitting about a millions passing shots off his serve.

Then he won the Australian Open beating Federer in the SF.

DutchieGirl
Oct 7th, 2006, 04:00 AM
And why not give points for Hopman when its the same format as the YEC and has similar entry constraints as the olympics......

I don't think that HC needs points - I don't think Olympics and Fed Cup need points either, but they should count for head to head, as it's also an ITF official tournament, and every other ITF tourney does count.

And no, the Hong Kong exhibition is not (as far as I am aware) and ITF sanctioned tourney, so it should NOT count. ;) (Coz some people brought that up as an exa,ple of why HC should not count).

dany.p
Oct 7th, 2006, 01:43 PM
They aren't on WTA, but they are on ITF - so there is some confusion...but none of the HC matches are included on WTA, even from when they were meant to be, so that doesn't really solve the problem. ;)

I actually checked the itf website when i was looking it up, not the wta one. And i can't see this years one on the itf, unless i've screwed up and done something completely wrong:tape: