PDA

View Full Version : Venus will play with Taylor Dent at 2007 Hopman Cup

tennisIlove09
Oct 6th, 2006, 02:07 AM
Dent, Venus Scheduled To Partner In Hopman Cup
http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/DentOpen05AlexTrautwig.JPG
Photo By Alex Trautwig By Tennis Week
10/05/2006

They are both currently nursing injuries and defending champion Taylor Dent and 49th-ranked Venus Williams are planning to start the 2007 season sharing the same side of the court at the Hyundai Hopman Cup.

Dent, who partnered with Lisa Raymond last January to lead the United States to its third Hopman Cup championship in the past four years, has been sidelined since February due to a back injury that has limited him to five matches this year.

Five-time Grand Slam champion Venus Williams is scheduled to make her Hopman Cup debut; younger sister Serena paired with James Blake to claim the 2003 Hopman Cup title. Blake teamed with Lindsay Davenport to win the Hopman Cup in 2004 as well. In addition to Dent and Williams, Spain's Tommy Robredo and Anabel Medina Garrigues have also committed to competing at the Hopman Cup.

The event is expanding into Asia with the introduction of the inaugural Asian Hopman Cup, to be held in Hyderabad, India in the week of November 20 with the winning nation earning direct entry into the Hyundai Hopman Cup in Perth as the eighth team. The Asian Tennis Federation (ATF) and the Hyundai Hopman Cup are entering a three-year agreement, with the All India Tennis Association (AITA) allocated the event by the ATF for three years.

Host India will be represented by Sania Mirza and Leander Paes; organizers expect Thailand and China will both field teams.

"The birth of the Asian Hopman Cup is a major step in the evolution of the event," Hopman Cup tournament director Paul McNamee said. "I congratulate the ATF and AITA for their strong endorsement of this great format, and for creating such a powerful bridge from Perth to Asia." The ITF mixed team competition is scheduled for December 30-January 5 at the Burswood Dome in Perth, Australia. For more information, please visit Hopman Cup.com. (http://www.hopmancup.com/default.aspx?id=1)

PatrickRyan
Oct 6th, 2006, 02:11 AM
wow cool
good luck :yeah:

¤CharlDa¤
Oct 6th, 2006, 03:16 AM
Nice idea from Vee. Mixing things up, could be better than Hong Kong!

Martian Stacey
Oct 6th, 2006, 03:21 AM
um, the USA team was announced months ago :lol:

Si_Hi
Oct 6th, 2006, 05:00 AM
taylor dent is ready to play matches in 2007?
is his back ok?

spencercarlos
Oct 6th, 2006, 05:02 AM
taylor dent is ready to play matches in 2007?
is his back ok?
Is Venus wrist ok?
People forget how difficult was this injury in 1999-2000, she took a lot of months off then..

DutchieGirl
Oct 6th, 2006, 05:05 AM
um, the USA team was announced months ago :lol:

exactly! :lol:

14/06/2006 - Venus For Hopman

In a coup for Perth, Venus Williams and Taylor Dent have been confirmed as the first team entered in this year’s Hyundai Hopman Cup. Venus Williams a former world number 1 and current Wimbledon Champion, who only last week reached the quarter finals of Roland Garros in Paris, will be making her debut at the Burswood Dome for the 19th running of the ITF Official Mixed Teams Competition. They will represent the USA who are 4 time champions and the current titleholders.

Tournament Director, Paul McNamee deviated from the normal policy of inviting the defending champions back to accommodate the 5 time Grand Slam winner. “We love to showcase new faces and exciting talent and Venus is one of the stars of the game that hasn’t been here yet. She is back on the WTA Tour and in good form so I thought I would see if she would like to partner Taylor. Venus becomes the 19th number one to have played in 19 Hopman Cups, which exemplifies the quality of this event”.

Venus burst onto the international tennis scene as a teenager and in an illustrious career has won Wimbledon 3 times, the US Open twice and been in 7 other Grand Slam finals across the 4 Slams. She has won 33 WTA Tour singles titles, 10 Doubles titles and 2 Grand Slam mixed doubles titles and won over $16m in prizemoney.

Taylor Dent debuted last year for the USA and went on to capture the title, and many Perth hearts, with an outstanding week’s tennis. He finished off a thrilling Final in the third set match tie-break with a blistering ace to claim the 4th title for the USA and claiming it as “one of the best tennis experiences of my life”.

Hyundai Hopman Cup XIX Friday 29 December 2006 to Friday 5 January 2007. For further information call Rosita Stangl on 08 9367 8884 or 0409 117 157 or visit Hyundai Hopman Cup website www.hopmancup.com.au.

From Hopman Cup website - MID JUNE! :lol:

darrinbaker00
Oct 6th, 2006, 05:25 AM
Nice idea from Vee. Mixing things up, could be better than Hong Kong!
Mixing things up, my foot. Tennis Australia offered Venus more money.

DutchieGirl
Oct 6th, 2006, 05:49 AM

Didn't the WS get sick in HK last year (this year) and weren't gonna play there again?

Experimentee
Oct 6th, 2006, 01:07 PM
I'd like to see Venus, but Dent is just boring. They should have invited Blake instead, he is a better player and higher ranked, and has won twice before!

DutchieGirl
Oct 6th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Yeah, Blake would have been better. :D

tennnisfannn
Oct 6th, 2006, 01:13 PM
I cannot believe i finally get to see venus in person.

new-york
Oct 6th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Is Venus wrist ok?
People forget how difficult was this injury in 1999-2000, she took a lot of months off then..

yep. i hugely hope she'll be healthy in 2007.

die_wahrheit
Oct 6th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Two invalides - one team

Rising Sun
Oct 6th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Too bad I'll be missing it this time... :mad:

Paneru
Oct 6th, 2006, 01:51 PM
:rolleyes:

BOT,
Can't wait! :cool:

roarke
Oct 6th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Will Venus or Dent be well enough to play? Seems to me as soon as these two play more than on match these days some body part is falling off!

Venus needs some major therapy. I thought with all the time off she has taken because of illness in the last 2-3 years she would actually try to get some good healing therapy and her body into tip top competitive shape.

As for Dent he needs to get into shape period!

MrSerenaWilliams
Oct 6th, 2006, 03:19 PM
GOOOOOOOOOOO Vee-Dent!

Fantastic
Oct 6th, 2006, 03:44 PM
I'm so skeptical about Venus and Taylor actually being injury-free and ready to play in Australia, let alone the Hopman Cup. I wouldn't be surprised if Lindsay Davenport and James Blake are signed up to play before the tournament starts. Otherwise, it might be Chanda Rubin and Mardy Fish, and that would be just as cool.