PDA

View Full Version : Serena or Martina Hingis: who is more intelligent?

Reuchlin
Oct 6th, 2006, 12:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3uY3wesJmQ&mode=related&search=

LH2HBH
Oct 6th, 2006, 12:26 AM
SERENA!!!! :eek: what a low blow!

dreamgoddess099
Oct 6th, 2006, 12:32 AM
Martina: "big mouth"
Serena: "lack of formal education"

Can you really call those insults? :haha:

MrSerenaWilliams
Oct 6th, 2006, 01:03 AM
not really, they were just speaking their mind...but WOW catty eh

MrSerenaWilliams
Oct 6th, 2006, 01:04 AM
Martina: "Loud ass bitches"
Serena: "Ignorant ass bitch"

Take your pick

The Daviator
Oct 6th, 2006, 01:27 AM
:spit: Serena!

Kenny
Oct 6th, 2006, 01:29 AM
Oh I love it. Good job, Serena.

PLP
Oct 6th, 2006, 01:31 AM

Take your pick
:lol:

Oh...I miss those days!

BTW, they are both intelligent...

Brooklyn90
Oct 6th, 2006, 01:39 AM
:lol: i love it serena

Stamp Paid
Oct 6th, 2006, 01:44 AM
Serena LMAO

LeRoy.
Oct 6th, 2006, 01:44 AM
Hingis saying that someone else has a "big mouth" = :haha:

thiaela
Oct 6th, 2006, 01:49 AM
Serena of course.

MrSerenaWilliams
Oct 6th, 2006, 01:50 AM
I know...talk about the pot calling the kettle black

Brooklyn90
Oct 6th, 2006, 01:51 AM
Serena of course.
martina started it :p

bucklemyshoe
Oct 6th, 2006, 01:51 AM
omg serena :lol: :lol: :devil:

VeeReeDavJCap81
Oct 6th, 2006, 02:07 AM
Martina deserved that after the sh*t she was talking

MisterQ
Oct 6th, 2006, 02:21 AM
:lol: Those were the days!

Now that they are older, though, it's nice to hear the respect they have expressed for each other.

sunset
Oct 6th, 2006, 02:28 AM
No Contest!

Martina without breaking a sweat. :lol:

LindsayRulz
Oct 6th, 2006, 02:35 AM
sweet girls :angel:

dinhd82
Oct 6th, 2006, 02:39 AM
Lack of formal education, well Martina speaks 5 different languages against Serena's formal education w/bootleg italian. LOLS There is much more to life than books but even if Martina had a formal education, I think she'd excel much better than the Williams...

.Andrew.
Oct 6th, 2006, 02:50 AM

perseus2006
Oct 6th, 2006, 02:51 AM
Is it the rock or the dirt it was found in?

I don't think intelligence is an attribute demonstrated by that third party exchange.

supergrunt
Oct 6th, 2006, 03:15 AM
can someone please tell me what they said? :sad:

dreamgoddess099
Oct 6th, 2006, 03:21 AM
Lack of formal education, well Martina speaks 5 different languages against Serena's formal education w/bootleg italian.
Martina's 5 different languages would get her a nice job as a translator, but Serena's formal education and bootleg Italian would get her many more job offers in the corporate world. Afterall, formal educations are required for the best jobs. That is why schools exist.

LOLS There is much more to life than books but even if Martina had a formal education, I think she'd excel much better than the Williams...
Excel in what?

dreamgoddess099
Oct 6th, 2006, 03:30 AM
can someone please tell me what they said? :sad:
''They always have a big mouth,'' Hingis had said.

''She just speaks her mind,'' Serena responded. ''I guess it has a little bit to do with not having a formal education. But you just have to think more ... use your brain a little more in the tennis world.''

When Hingis and Serena met in the locker room Friday, they laughed about the exchanges, insisting to each other that the press had blown up the whole thing. Then a WTA Tour official suggested that Hingis could smooth things out by presenting Richard Williams with an autographed T-shirt.

Hingis said he had been asking her for an autograph ''every single tournament,'' always sticking his arm out for her to sign.

''I was, like, 'Why waste it?' If you take a shower it's going to go off anyway.''

Hingis liked the T-shirt gag and promptly signed it, ''To Richard,'' though she didn't put any love, or any other message, in front of her name.

''It's perfect timing,'' Hingis said of the truce offering.

The taunts all week underscored the competitiveness of the rivalry that is developing between the Williams sisters and Hingis, who are close in age.

Hingis, 18, clearly is ahead at the moment, a winner of five majors since turning pro five years ago. Neither of the Williams sisters has won even a single major. Venus, 19, reached the U.S. Open final in her debut two years ago - only to lose in straight sets to Hingis.

So when Richard Williams claimed that his girls are better than Hingis and everyone else, that they're too fast and too athletic and too smart to be beaten, Hingis said she had to wonder.

''He always has his comments,'' she said. ''You know, it's fun. Because I'm better than them so far. I'm the No. 1, not them.''

louisa2k2
Oct 6th, 2006, 03:33 AM
Martina of course :)

Penne1
Oct 6th, 2006, 03:46 AM
Martina is the smarter tennis player - not that Serena is a dummy on the court! But in general I think Serena is not only intelligent she is definitely more savvy and reads "people" situations better. Hingis just puts her foot in her mouth way to often to be called "life intelligent"

I know I am gonna be hated for this but at times Martina comes off as just plain ignorant and other times just completely naive. She doesn't strike me as a very mature 26 year old. She's comes across as someone (who, while nice) has had an extremely sheltered and narrow existence. Serena, not so much.

tennisrox
Oct 6th, 2006, 03:46 AM

''She just speaks her mind,'' Serena responded. ''I guess it has a little bit to do with not having a formal education. But you just have to think more ... use your brain a little more in the tennis world.''

Then a WTA Tour official suggested that Hingis could smooth things out by presenting Richard Williams with an autographed T-shirt.

Hingis said he had been asking her for an autograph ''every single tournament,'' always sticking his arm out for her to sign.

''I was, like, 'Why waste it?' If you take a shower it's going to go off anyway.''

:haha: :haha:

I love it! :yeah:
I miss those days. Bring back the bitches!

dinhd82
Oct 6th, 2006, 03:49 AM
Martina's 5 different languages would get her a nice job as a translator, but Serena's formal education and bootleg Italian would get her many more job offers in the corporate world. Afterall, formal educations are required for the best jobs. That is why schools exist.

Excel in what?

Martina was home schooled and that with her gift of tongue can get her any job she wants. Formal educations are NOT required for the best jobs, and last time I checked Serena never finished her formal education.

Marcus Jordan
Oct 6th, 2006, 03:55 AM

Take your pick

Why do ppl put 'ass' on the end of words??? Makes no sense sounds 12-year-oldish. :tape:

Brooklyn90
Oct 6th, 2006, 03:58 AM
Why do ppl put 'ass' on the end of words??? Makes no sense sounds 12-year-oldish. :tape:
don't be sad because serena punked martina :p

Marcus Jordan
Oct 6th, 2006, 04:01 AM
Martina beat Serena in 2001 Sydney International, then beat her again the following week in 2001 Aust Open and then beat Venus the match after that. Martina got nothing to prove vs the Williams sisters. Martina leads Venus head2head (and beat her this year) and is close to Serena head2head.

Martian Stacey
Oct 6th, 2006, 04:32 AM

When Hingis and Serena met in the locker room Friday, they laughed about the exchanges, insisting to each other that the press had blown up the whole thing. Then a WTA Tour official suggested that Hingis could smooth things out by presenting Richard Williams with an autographed T-shirt.

Hingis liked the T-shirt gag and promptly signed it, ''To Richard,'' though she didn't put any love, or any other message, in front of her name.

''It's perfect timing,'' Hingis said of the truce offering.

The taunts all week underscored the competitiveness of the rivalry that is developing between the Williams sisters and Hingis, who are close in age.

Hingis, 18, clearly is ahead at the moment, a winner of five majors since turning pro five years ago. Neither of the Williams sisters has won even a single major. Venus, 19, reached the U.S. Open final in her debut two years ago - only to lose in straight sets to Hingis.

So when Richard Williams claimed that his girls are better than Hingis and everyone else, that they're too fast and too athletic and too smart to be beaten, Hingis said she had to wonder.

''He always has his comments,'' she said. ''You know, it's fun. Because I'm better than them so far. I'm the No. 1, not them.''
I don't really understand what speaking your mind has to do with a formal education :confused:

Stamp Paid
Oct 6th, 2006, 04:33 AM
Of course, a Hingis fan would not just take this 7+ year old comment between two teenagers for what it is, but try to really argue the question. :weirdo:

Brooklyn90
Oct 6th, 2006, 04:36 AM
Of course, a Hingis fan would not just take this 7+ year old comment between two teenagers for what it is, but try to really argue the question. :weirdo:
:worship: :worship: :worship:

RVD
Oct 6th, 2006, 05:35 AM
Of course, a Hingis fan would not just take this 7+ year old comment between two teenagers for what it is, but try to really argue the question. :weirdo: :worship: Nicely stated. :yeah:

Brooklyn90
Oct 6th, 2006, 05:40 AM
Martina beat Serena in 2001 Sydney International, then beat her again the following week in 2001 Aust Open and then beat Venus the match after that. Martina got nothing to prove vs the Williams sisters. Martina leads Venus head2head (and beat her this year) and is close to Serena head2head.
well serena beat her ass in that 99 final :p
and serena has a leading h2h 7-6 :D

Hardiansf
Oct 6th, 2006, 05:48 AM
Serena... so cute. Love it. And I miss sooooo much the old days when Serena, Venus, Martina, Anna K, and Lindsay rule the WTA.

Sam L
Oct 6th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Definitely Martina.

olivia100
Oct 6th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Martina is the smarter tennis player - not that Serena is a dummy on the court! But in general I think Serena is not only intelligent she is definitely more savvy and reads "people" situations better. Hingis just puts her foot in her mouth way to often to be called "life intelligent"

I know I am gonna be hated for this but at times Martina comes off as just plain ignorant and other times just completely naive. She doesn't strike me as a very mature 26 year old. She's comes across as someone (who, while nice) has had an extremely sheltered and narrow existence. Serena, not so much.

If Martina was the smarter tennis player she should have had just as many GS as Serena. As a matter of fact, she should have more than Serena.

olivia100
Oct 6th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Martina was home schooled and that with her gift of tongue can get her any job she wants. Formal educations are NOT required for the best jobs, and last time I checked Serena never finished her formal education.

And martina never started.

olivia100
Oct 6th, 2006, 12:25 PM
And Venus also beat Martina this year...you forgot that one. In 2001 Serena embarrassed Martina and the US Open...2-3. Also, Serena has 7 slams martina 5. Serena also has a French slam and Martina zip.

olivia100
Oct 6th, 2006, 12:28 PM
I don't really understand what speaking your mind has to do with a formal education :confused:

It means that sometime you need think about what you are going to say before you put your foot in your mouth. Learn to be diplomatic and be tactful about what your are going to say.

moby
Neither showed much intelligence here. Fortunately that was almost 10 years ago.

Andy.
*loves it* we need more of this in the WTA these days.

olivia100
Oct 6th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Neither showed much intelligence here. Fortunately that was almost 10 years ago.

If I were Serena I would have said to the interviewee...."Well, you know this is a free country and people have a right to free speech". And I would leave it at that. At a young age Venus was always savvy with her answers to the press...the girl was just amazing.

Ems__
Oct 6th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Serena owned her

rockstar
Oct 6th, 2006, 01:24 PM
bitches :p

dreamgoddess099
Oct 6th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Martina was home schooled and that with her gift of tongue can get her any job she wants. Serena was home schooled as well up until age 15, so what? Anyway, you're silly if you think Martina could even get a job as a cardiologist just by social skills. :rolleyes:

Formal educations are NOT required for the best jobs
Well I don't know where you're from but I don't know any doctors, lawyers, scientist, ect. who never graduated high school or didn't attend college. I guess the professionals where you're from teach themselves and practice without licenses.

and last time I checked Serena never finished her formal education.Well you need to check again because Serena graduated from a small private high school called The Driftwood Academy. The only thing she hasn't finished is her degree, but at least she's started to get one.

January 1998 Venus graduates from The Driftwood Academy, an accredited 30-student private high school in Lake Park, Fla. Serena will graduate from Driftwood the following August; both maintain a 3.0-plus GPA.

Ryan
Oct 6th, 2006, 01:41 PM

Please don't group us all together. :tape:

Mother_Marjorie
Oct 6th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Well, both women taking "mid-career" sabbaticals doesn't qualify either for cerebral greatness in the sport of tennis.

There's no clear cut winner in this poll.

TomTennis
Oct 6th, 2006, 01:45 PM
lmao ...... Nice one Serena!!!! :lol: :worship:

This is what the wta is lacking these days......Rivalries! :drool:

olivia100
Oct 6th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Well, both women taking "mid-career" sabbaticals doesn't qualify either for cerebral greatness in the sport of tennis.

You are so stupid. If both women are injured and had surgery do you still expect them to play. You can't be that stupid.

Rocketta
Oct 6th, 2006, 02:07 PM
I do believe this is one of the Funniest.Threads.Eva! :rolls:

dreamgoddess099
Oct 6th, 2006, 02:14 PM

Sabbatical? Who took a sabbatical, and when. :lol: Anyway, who said anything about cerebral greatness in the sport of tennis? I thought the thread meant general intelligence. Anyway, being off tour injured is not considered taking a sabbatical. If that's the case anybody who takes just one day off because of injury can be accused of taking a sabbatical.

What poll?

rjd1111
Oct 6th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Lack of formal education, well Martina speaks 5 different languages against Serena's formal education w/bootleg italian. LOLS There is much more to life than books but even if Martina had a formal education, I think she'd excel much better than the Williams...

Languages are not a product of intellegence but of environment.

One who never went to school a day in their life will speak any
languages that are used around them. Chuckie has bounced around
Europe all of her life.

sunset
Oct 6th, 2006, 02:30 PM

Good answer! :bounce:

olivia100
Oct 6th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Good answer! :bounce:

Why is that a good answer..when Serena graduated from HS and martina did not. In addition, Serena has 2 yrs of college. All martina did was took some evening classes an a college which is equivalent to going for a GED.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Oct 6th, 2006, 03:55 PM

And Martina's English isn't bootleg? :tape:

olivia100
Oct 6th, 2006, 04:02 PM
And Martina's English isn't bootleg? :tape:

Ain't that the truth though. :worship: :worship: :worship:

alfonsojose
Oct 6th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Stupid thread

Bukkake
Oct 6th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Darlings,

They are both intelligent.

MrSerenaWilliams
Oct 6th, 2006, 04:11 PM

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::wors hip::worship::worship::worship:

dreamgoddess099
Oct 6th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Darlings,

They are both intelligent.
Of course they are, I'm just amused at dinhd82 anti-education posts. :lol: I'm all for home schooling up until a certain age, but at some point every child needs to experience learning in a social setting. One on one learning is great, but there won't be someone there to hold your hand and personally walk you through everything in life.

harloo
Oct 6th, 2006, 04:42 PM
I just loved the rivalry between Martina and the sisters back in the day. The comments were hilarious on both ends and anyone that's still tripping over words exchanged 7 years ago should seek professional help.:lol:

No.1Hingis
Oct 6th, 2006, 04:43 PM
martina started it :p

Oh! Please :rolleyes: ... those girls knew exactly what were their job's :p .. I miss those days too... girls that why I love you.. both are too intelligent people.. on court and out there.. they were pretty much entertainment than WTA players nowadays.. at least those are personalities, with feelings, not just cold gilrs like all those teenager of today :o (sorry but is true).. I cant wait to see Martina and Serena playing in Zurich :bounce: ..

Justine Fan
Oct 6th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Of course they are, I'm just amused at dinhd82 anti-education posts. :lol: I'm all for home schooling up until a certain age, but at some point every child needs to experience learning in a social setting. One on one learning is great, but there won't be someone there to hold your hand and personally walk you through everything in life.
:worship: :worship:

OMG! What have I done? :eek: I'm worshipping something you said :lol:

Jokes and malice :lol: aside, that's a very good post. :yeah:

No.1Hingis
Oct 6th, 2006, 04:51 PM
I missed to argue last two days.. and I forgot to :lol: .. theres no discussion .. obviously they (WS and Martina) still are the perfect ambassadors.. plus Lindsay and Maria .. of the concept of "ELITE tennis player" with all the factors it involves (I mean great show, EVERYTIME in all ways).. "Fans talk :p"

No Name Face
Oct 6th, 2006, 05:16 PM
LMAO at serena :rolls:

RJWCapriati
Oct 6th, 2006, 05:22 PM
:angel:

nbaker53
Oct 6th, 2006, 05:26 PM
:eek: Serena :haha:

!<blocparty>!
Oct 6th, 2006, 05:33 PM
DEATH @ formal education. :haha:

Tina's bitchiness was/is (Seoul final :p) more consistent, so she wins.

hingis-seles
Oct 6th, 2006, 06:12 PM
I remember this "feud" like it was yesterday. Heh. It was Richard Williams who started it, not Martina Hingis. He told the press that Venus and Serena were better than the rest of the Tour and that there would be an all-Williams final at the 1999 US Open (Remember, at the time Hingis was #1 and had 5 majors. Neither Venus nor Serena had won a major or been ranked #1 yet, so this comment came across as really arrogant and annoyed a lot of people). Hingis took the comment as a personal affront, since she was the #1 player after all.

She responded by saying the Williams family had a big mouth and they always talked a lot and it motivated the other girls to beat them. Serena said Martina's comments were a result of her not having a formal education. Hingis said she didn't think she was so stupid since she could speak 5 languages. Both girls said that they spoke about it in the locker room and blamed the press for blowing it out of proportion. Then there was the WTA publicity stunt showing everyone in the WTA loved each other, with Martina giving Richard an autographed t-shirt.

Hingis stated that she would make sure there would be no all-Williams final. She stayed true to her word, beating Venus. She should have minded what she wished for, though, when one considers she lost the final to Serena. When Lindsay lost to Serena in the other semifinal and came back in the locker room, Martina was standing waiting for her, with her hands on her hips, clucking like a disappointed parent. Lindsay hadn't kept her end of the bargain (though, she would in 2000).

What fun days. Never a dull moment and constant hilarity.

dreamgoddess099
Oct 6th, 2006, 07:04 PM
:worship: :worship:

OMG! What have I done? :eek: I'm worshipping something you said :lol:

You should be worshipping everything I say. :p

hingisGOAT
Oct 6th, 2006, 07:14 PM
well im not saying that hingis is all that intelligent

but

she sure has serena williams beat :tape: :haha:

Apoorv
Oct 6th, 2006, 07:22 PM
I think media is the most intelligent entity in this case. they both looked rather childish with such comments in public. but since they were young at that time so such behaviour is understandable. i think serena held the edge in this but this was probably because she was the one responding.

No.1Hingis
Oct 6th, 2006, 07:23 PM
I remember this "feud" like it was yesterday. Heh. It was Richard Williams who started it, not Martina Hingis. He told the press that Venus and Serena were better than the rest of the Tour and that there would be an all-Williams final at the 1999 US Open (Remember, at the time Hingis was #1 and had 5 majors. Neither Venus nor Serena had won a major or been ranked #1 yet, so this comment came across as really arrogant and annoyed a lot of people). Hingis took the comment as a personal affront, since she was the #1 player after all.

She responded by saying the Williams family had a big mouth and they always talked a lot and it motivated the other girls to beat them. Serena said Martina's comments were a result of her not having a formal education. Hingis said she didn't think she was so stupid since she could speak 5 languages. Both girls said that they spoke about it in the locker room and blamed the press for blowing it out of proportion. Then there was the WTA publicity stunt showing everyone in the WTA loved each other, with Martina giving Richard an autographed t-shirt.

Hingis stated that she would make sure there would be no all-Williams final. She stayed true to her word, beating Venus. She should have minded what she wished for, though, when one considers she lost the final to Serena. When Lindsay lost to Serena in the other semifinal and came back in the locker room, Martina was standing waiting for her, with her hands on her hips, clucking like a disappointed parent. Lindsay hadn't kept her end of the bargain (though, she would in 2000).

Wuop! You know.. that explanation deserve a :worship: .. every single letter worth it.. so for me is pretty clear now.. Even I think they both are intelligent girls..

Hawn
Oct 6th, 2006, 07:25 PM
I'm not judging Serena's intelligence, but I read an article that noted Martina's great ability with solving puzzles from brainteasers to those metal shapes which are knotted together. And to someone's comment that Martina's English is bootleg, that is not true. She can completely understand and speak English, which is not an easy language to learn especially since she learned it more in her teenaged years.

hingisGOAT
Oct 6th, 2006, 07:28 PM
hypochondriac :tape:

that's what happens when serena tries to use big words :lol: fails miserably

dreamgoddess099
Oct 6th, 2006, 09:13 PM
hypochondriac :tape:

that's what happens when serena tries to use big words :lol: fails miserably
You know the funny thing about hypochondriacs, they actually do believe they are illness prone. If they actually knew they weren't, then they wouldn't be hypochondriacs.

Justine Fan
Oct 6th, 2006, 10:14 PM
You should be worshipping everything I say. :p

:spit:

Now don't get too carried away! Once a year is enough! :tape:

Excellent!
Oct 6th, 2006, 10:18 PM
I saw this ages ago, lol! I don't think either of them is lacking 'formal education', and it was nothing personal from Serena, just a bit of fun between the two, in the lead up to the US Open final. :p

Hingie
Oct 7th, 2006, 01:12 AM
:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::wors hip::worship::worship::worship:

Actually, Williams fans are also doing a good job of arguing points prompted by comments almost a decade old. :wavey:

hotandspicey
Oct 7th, 2006, 01:22 AM
I saw this ages ago, lol! I don't think either of them is lacking 'formal education', and it was nothing personal from Serena, just a bit of fun between the two, in the lead up to the US Open final. :p
I agree! And all instigated by the media!:lol:

Brooks.
Oct 7th, 2006, 01:22 AM

:drool:

I love how everything Richard predicted came true though...everyone thought he was crazy..all Martina and Lindsay did was postpone the inevitable :lol:

franny
Oct 7th, 2006, 03:24 AM
Considering how Serena is speaking in her native language and Martina is speaking in a 2nd language(not even 2nd language, more like her third or forth), I wouldn't say that this is a very good indication of their intellegience level. What is a better indication is the fact that Hingis can speak 6 different languages, talk about "formal education."

Marcus Jordan
Oct 7th, 2006, 05:10 AM
"You know I was always really very, very, very good. Serena, on the other hand, wasn't very good at all. She was small, really slim and the racket was way too big for her. Hopeless. Believe it or not she used to lob and slice. That was her game."
Venus on young Serena's game

:lol: :bounce: :lol: haha

Jeff
Oct 7th, 2006, 06:05 AM
:haha:

Penne1
Oct 7th, 2006, 08:02 AM
If Martina was the smarter tennis player she should have had just as many GS as Serena. As a matter of fact, she should have more than Serena.

Don't you mean if Martina was as strong and athletic as Serena she would have double the number Serena does. Smarts is only part of it but YES Martina is the smarter player. I don't think Serena is a dummy on the court - I love her use of the angle shots etc and her ability to recognise the points she really needs to win BUT Martina is generally the better player when it comes to understanding every square inch of a tennis court and how to utilize absolutely every part of it.

Hawn
Oct 7th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Don't you mean if Martina was as strong and athletic as Serena she would have double the number Serena does. Smarts is only part of it but YES Martina is the smarter player. I don't think Serena is a dummy on the court - I love her use of the angle shots etc and her ability to recognise the points she really needs to win BUT Martina is generally the better player when it comes to understanding every square inch of a tennis court and how to utilize absolutely every part of it.

I agree. Court smarts is only one aspect along with power, strength, stamina, etc. It would be difficult not to recognize that Serena is certainly one of the most powerful female playes ever and that Martina is arguably the most cerebral player in history.

olivia100
Oct 7th, 2006, 02:44 PM
I agree. Court smarts is only one aspect along with power, strength, stamina, etc. It would be difficult not to recognize that Serena is certainly one of the most powerful female playes ever and that Martina is arguably the most cerebral player in history.

I have posed this question before....with all the cerebralness that people claim martina has why is it that she only has 5 GS? for as long as she's been on the circuit she should have had a Martina slam in addition to many more slams. Serena is not only powerful but she is one of the most cerebral players on the court. Have you ever real sat down and watch a match of Serena's....I suggest you take a look at some of her matches. Serena has it all....smartness, serve, power etc. You sure don't hear people saying that martina could be the best tennis player in the world; everytime someone open their mouth about Serena that's what they say even the haters who don't want to admit but they do.

olivia100
Oct 7th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Considering how Serena is speaking in her native language and Martina is speaking in a 2nd language(not even 2nd language, more like her third or forth), I wouldn't say that this is a very good indication of their intellegience level. What is a better indication is the fact that Hingis can speak 6 different languages, talk about "formal education."

If she could not speak 6 different languages living in europe she would truly be illiterate since this is the norm in europe.

olivia100
Oct 7th, 2006, 02:54 PM

Please, martina's way of playing tennis is to keep the ball in play and pray for her opponent to make errors, she's not an agressive player and that is not going to cut it in this tennis age. You actually think Serena won all the slams on athleticism and not intelligents on the court. Now, you can't be that daft. How about all the other players out there who are athletic and can't win shit help me figure that one out. This so call smart play in martina that the commentators shoved down you people throats I could never understand or see. Again, with her so call smarts she should be rolling in GS titles. How do you figure that one out.

olivia100
Oct 7th, 2006, 03:04 PM

My dear you cannot win GS on strength, power and stamina alone...example Kim C. As I preach again and again if martina is that damn smart she should be rolling in GS titles. Why is that so difficult for you guys to understand. Example, a really smart student in school will be a stright 'A' student throughout his/her school years that student will not graduate from high school or college with 5 A's and the other grades B's and C's and then rant and rave that he/she is the smartness person in school. This is exactly what you guys do with Martina.....She's the most cerebral tennis player in the history of the sports but yet she has 5 slams. If she's so cerebral she should find a way to beat the so call power players who won their GS with power alone. Again, you cannot win slams on sheer power common sense alone would tell you that.

moby
Oct 7th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Please, martina's way of playing tennis is to keep the ball in play and pray for her opponent to make errorsMaybe Martina can't play, but she sure can pray herself to 5 Grand Slams. Great praying abilities. :worship:

olivia100
Oct 7th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Maybe Martina can't play, but she sure can pray herself to 5 Grand Slams. Great praying abilities. :worship:

Of course, they are other players with 5 GS...."Great praying abilities" too.

Justine Fan
Oct 7th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Of course, they are other players with 5 GS...."Great praying abilities" too.

True!

Venus
Justine
Monica Seles
Steffi
Martina N

Everyone .... apart from Serena of course. Serena is the only one who did it on playing ability and not "praying" ability. :rolleyes:

Moron!!!!!!!!!!

olivia100
Oct 7th, 2006, 03:52 PM
True!

Venus
Justine
Monica Seles
Steffi
Martina N

Everyone .... apart from Serena of course. Serena is the only one who did it on playing ability and not "praying" ability. :rolleyes:

Moron!!!!!!!!!!

I have no idea what your problem. Apparently you have problems comprehending.

Martian Jeza
Oct 7th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Please, martina's way of playing tennis is to keep the ball in play and pray for her opponent to make errors, she's not an agressive player and that is not going to cut it in this tennis age. You actually think Serena won all the slams on athleticism and not intelligents on the court. Now, you can't be that daft. How about all the other players out there who are athletic and can't win shit help me figure that one out. This so call smart play in martina that the commentators shoved down you people throats I could never understand or see. Again, with her so call smarts she should be rolling in GS titles. How do you figure that one out.

I've only one word for your comments : BULLSHIT ! :tape:

pancake
Oct 7th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Even you think one is more intelligent than the other, you don't have to bring up some bad result of 'the less intelligent' one. It's so harsh. Only people who know them very well personally will know the answer.

Justine Fan
Oct 7th, 2006, 03:57 PM
I have no idea what your problem. Apparently you have problems comprehending.

No I don't, you said

Originally Posted by olivia100
Of course, they are other players with 5 GS...."Great praying abilities" too

and I'm agreeing with you. Just mentioning some of the players with 5 GS or more.

So where's my problem in comprehending? :shrug:

Care to explain your above statement?

IceHock
Oct 7th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Martina has to be smarter on the court because she has not nearly enough the weapons as Serena, she needs to construct her points and set up shots, while Serena can rely more on her big groundies and serve.Martina will rarely outhit her opponents, so she outsmarts them, that is how she wins matches and is why she is in the top ten.

dreamgoddess099
Oct 7th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Even you think one is more intelligent than the other, you don't have to bring up some bad result of 'the less intelligent' one. It's so harsh. Only people who know them very well personally will know the answer.
The point of this thread was never about intelligence. What does a 19 second clip of two teenagers responding to bait questions have to do with intelligence?
Pagliacci just wanted some vcash.

olivia100
Oct 7th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Martina has to be smarter on the court because she has not nearly enough the weapons as Serena, she needs to construct her points and set up shots, while Serena can rely more on her big groundies and serve.Martina will rarely outhit her opponents, so she outsmarts them, that is how she wins matches and is why she is in the top ten.

Being in the top ten and not winning slams don't mean jack. They are players in the top ten who never even won a tournament does that make them smarter on court?

olivia100
Oct 7th, 2006, 06:29 PM
No I don't, you said

and I'm agreeing with you. Just mentioning some of the players with 5 GS or more.

So where's my problem in comprehending? :shrug:

Care to explain your above statement?

If you are agreeing with me then why the heck are you rolling your eyes at me?

Justine Fan
Oct 7th, 2006, 06:35 PM
If you are agreeing with me then why the heck are you rolling your eyes at me?
You got it!!!!!!!!

You're an idiot!

Stamp Paid
Oct 7th, 2006, 06:48 PM
While Martina definitely has more guile on the court, Serena always was a VERY worthy adversary. She stretched Hingis to a third set tiebreak as a 16 year old when Hingis was World #1, and has bagelled/owned Hingis on numerous occassions. Hingis said herself that Serena was the hardest opponent she ever faced. (Even though we all know she just didnt want to give Graf the credit. ;) )

olivia100
Oct 7th, 2006, 06:53 PM
While Martina definitely has more guile on the court, Serena is a VERY worthy adversary. She stretched Hingis to a third set tiebreak as a 16 year old when Hingis was World #1, and has bagelled/owned Hingis on numerous occassions.

She did a darn great job also at the 2001 US Open. Martina could not touch Serena in that match. 100% first Serves in and 11 aces. She made Martina look like a club player. I was wondering why martina could not use her so call smarts in that match to out smart the not so "cerebral" Serena to win that match.

Hawn
Oct 7th, 2006, 06:55 PM
While Martina definitely has more guile on the court, Serena always was a VERY worthy adversary. She stretched Hingis to a third set tiebreak as a 16 year old when Hingis was World #1, and has bagelled/owned Hingis on numerous occassions. Hingis said herself that Serena was the hardest opponent she ever faced. (Even though we all know she just didnt want to give Graf the credit. ;) )

Most of Hingis' losses to Graf were in the very early stages of her career. And yes, I do think that the one person that gave Hingis the most challenge was Serena along with Capriati in her comeback.

Hawn
Oct 7th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Being in the top ten and not winning slams don't mean jack. They are players in the top ten who never even won a tournament does that make them smarter on court?

Are you saying that to be in the top ten you have to be smarter than the rest of the tour on court? Hingis is in the top 10 especially because of her smarts but it doesn't mean the rest of the tour wins that way.

Hawn
Oct 7th, 2006, 07:00 PM

Are you saying that to be in the top ten you have to be smarter than the rest of the tour on court? Hingis is in the top 10 especially because of her smarts but it doesn't mean the rest of the top ten wins that way.

Hawn
Oct 7th, 2006, 07:12 PM
My dear you cannot win GS on strength, power and stamina alone...example Kim C. As I preach again and again if martina is that damn smart she should be rolling in GS titles. Why is that so difficult for you guys to understand. Example, a really smart student in school will be a stright 'A' student throughout his/her school years that student will not graduate from high school or college with 5 A's and the other grades B's and C's and then rant and rave that he/she is the smartness person in school. This is exactly what you guys do with Martina.....She's the most cerebral tennis player in the history of the sports but yet she has 5 slams. If she's so cerebral she should find a way to beat the so call power players who won their GS with power alone. Again, you cannot win slams on sheer power common sense alone would tell you that.

Yes, agreed. You cannot win a GS on strength, power, and stamina. You need incredible mental focus and smarts as well.

But likewise, you also need greater strength, stamina, and focus to win in today's game then before. Martina IS the smartest tennis player, as commentators have frequently mentioned a gazillion times, but she must be because she lacks the greater power of the other top players. Being the smartest player does not mean being the best player, and I'm not saying she's the best in the women's game right now. That's a major differentiation. She cannot just outsmart players to titles because tennis is still a sport with physicality playing a major role in success.

There are many players who are known for their certain skills and abilities such as:

Michelle Kwan for her expressive ability on the ice compared with Syria Bonali's powerful jumps, Michelle Wie's driving power versus the accuracy of Sorenstam, Ali's quickness and stamina compared with the outright weight of the Foreman uppercut, Wayne Gretsky's vision compared with......well somebody else has something to compare with him someday.

So the point is that people have strengths and Martina's is her mind.

ToeTag
Oct 7th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Wayne Gretsky's vision compared with......well somebody else has something to compare with him someday. Compared to Mario Lemieux's finesse.

RenaSlam.
Oct 7th, 2006, 07:35 PM
LOL. I love Serena :hearts: :drool:

denisgiann
Oct 7th, 2006, 07:55 PM
People, things are pretty simple.Both of them are smart enough although as both are succesful athletes they possess a lot of ego and iam sure that deep down inside them they believe that they are the best thing that ever happened to womens tennis :rolleyes: .
I dont think anyone can say one is more intelligent than the other.One thing is certain:Τhey are both bitchy when things arent going their way ;) .The one is losing only to herself :rolleyes: the other believes the hard hitters are one dimensional players and too limited (but still they kick her butt in all three dimentions :lol: ).

Paul.
Oct 7th, 2006, 07:58 PM
omg serena! :tape::lol:

hingisGOAT
Oct 7th, 2006, 08:45 PM
:start rant: olivia, TWAT :end rant:

Justine Fan
Oct 7th, 2006, 11:27 PM
:start rant: olivia, TWAT :end rant:

:yeah: :lol: :lol:

:agreed:

OZTENNIS
Oct 8th, 2006, 12:08 AM
hingis is smarter in a tennis sense, but serena is probably better educated (thus smarter off court)

supergrunt
Oct 8th, 2006, 02:40 AM
http://ceu.00freehost.com/People/hingis16.jpg
Duh... :weirdo:

http://cn.dk.com/static/cs/cn/11/nf/features/williams_sisters/images/serena_williams.jpg

the answer is pie squared. :)

Marcus Jordan
Oct 8th, 2006, 03:45 AM
I don't think education makes you smart. It makes you more knowledgeable. Being smart is about IQ/understanding.

Sam L
Oct 8th, 2006, 03:46 AM

http://cn.dk.com/static/cs/cn/11/nf/features/williams_sisters/images/serena_williams.jpg

Serena has eaten more pies that's for sure. :)

supergrunt
Oct 8th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Serena has eaten more pies that's for sure. :)
Not that pie! :(

Marcus Jordan
Oct 8th, 2006, 06:45 AM
If My Calculations are Correct Pie is Precisely 3.1428571428571428571428571428571

supergrunt
Oct 8th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Pie squared! :(

Veritas
Oct 8th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Probably Martina because she uses a wider variety of shots. For example, she has a knack of knowing when to throw in an agressive top-spin to force an opponent to return out of their comfort zone and therefore changing the rhythm of a rally to give her control of the point. It's just one example, but it shows how it's hard not to notice how different Martina's style is compared to most others.

That said, I don't think Serena's just a simple ball-basher. If that's the case, she wouldn't have won 7 Slams, since that's the style for 99% of the Tour. Most of the times, you get the impression she loses only because of the high UFE counts coming from her racquet. Watch the match against Maurasemo at their Wimbledon 2004 SF clash. It's not one of her best matches, but it shows how she can tell when to throw in drop shots and top spins to set up a point.

supergrunt
Oct 8th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Probably Martina because she uses a wider variety of shots. For example, she has a knack of knowing when to throw in an agressive top-spin to force an opponent to return out of their comfort zone and therefore changing the rhythm of a rally to give her control of the point. It's just one example, but it shows how it's hard not to notice how different Martina's style is compared to most others.

That said, I don't think Serena's just a simple ball-basher. If that's the case, she wouldn't have won 7 Slams, since that's the style for 99% of the Tour. Most of the times, you get the impression she loses only because of the high UFE counts coming from her racquet. Watch the match against Maurasemo at their Wimbledon 2004 SF clash. It's not one of her best matches, but it shows how she can tell when to throw in drop shots and top spins to set up a point.
I don't care for the first paragraph but the second one :worship: thank you!

Reuchlin
Oct 9th, 2006, 12:13 AM
elite private schools= everyone gets good grades. Anything below 4.0 translates to about a C+ in an average public school. A family friend works for one of these 'schools'-- she's not even 'allowed' to 'catch' cases of plagerism.

SelesFan70
Oct 9th, 2006, 01:31 AM

Oh...I miss those days!

I miss those days, too! :lol:

And the forced press conference with Martina and Richard... :help:

pengluv
Oct 9th, 2006, 01:31 AM
well i think serena is smarter because she took time to get an education and the american education system is good. i dont like it when ppl go out of the way to say oh hingis is the smartest player. The truth is she needs it in order to play or she would just suck. Every player needs a balance in athleticism and brains. But since hingis clearly lacks in the brawn compartment she has to make up for it greatly in the brains. But i think serena is a bit more balanced though. So i would say serena smarter duh!! lol

Stamp Paid
Oct 9th, 2006, 02:04 AM

Supergrunt, stop faking the funk.

PLP
Oct 9th, 2006, 02:44 AM
True!

Venus
Justine
Monica Seles
Steffi
Martina N

Moron!!!!!!!!!!
:haha:

PLP
Oct 9th, 2006, 02:48 AM

I think Martina would agree with everything you said about Rena, I can't think of any player Martina gives more respect to on a regular basis.

I wonder how long this thread will stay on the front page... :lol:

Cat's Pajamas
Oct 9th, 2006, 03:08 AM
LOL. Serena :haha:

We need more of this now :fiery: but all the teenagers who should be the WTA divas are all cold and dead inside :sad:

It was the perfect bitchy pentagon when it was:

Martina-Venus-Serena-Lindsay-Anna :worship:

lecciones
Nov 6th, 2006, 08:18 AM

Oh...I miss those days!

They are both intelligent I agree. but on court martina is the most intelligent and serena is the most with strength.

LUIS9
Nov 6th, 2006, 08:30 AM
What's up with these silly threads?

One couldnt possibly determine who's smarter by just simply knowing them as tennis players or knowing a bit about their lives and backgrounds. I find it that both girls are pretty smart in their own individual ways. Only IQ test scores could settle this argument objectively so what's the point when we don't have that information?

pooh14
Nov 6th, 2006, 09:09 AM
silly thread.

both are equally inteligent, both are equally good in tennis.
both have their strenght and weakness.

if you're asking who has higher IQ, then maybe we should ask them to sit for mensa test.

proudfoot
Nov 6th, 2006, 09:12 AM
btw, they weren't being serious over that 'war of words', they were only messing around as the US media were trying to make more of the rivalry of them two. I read that somewhere. :p

Kunal
Nov 6th, 2006, 09:22 AM
lol

MrSerenaWilliams
Nov 6th, 2006, 02:17 PM
it was pretty fabricated, although Marti was a bit of the bitch when Vee and Ree first came on the scene :sad:, I heard she did some shifty-ass stuff