PDA

View Full Version : Any news on whether Mauresmo will play in Moscow??

hu2891601
Oct 5th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Anyone know?

pierce0415
Oct 5th, 2006, 08:00 PM
I highly doubt it

parn2257
Oct 5th, 2006, 08:10 PM
ddon't know I think she might?

frenchie
Oct 5th, 2006, 08:13 PM
In the short interview I saw on ES, Amélie wasn't confident at all about Moscow...

DarkchildSwiss
Oct 5th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Might be possible. We will it see it.

hablo
Oct 5th, 2006, 10:23 PM
I have a feeling she won't.

mr_burns
Oct 5th, 2006, 10:29 PM
No 1 runs away...

perseus2006
Oct 5th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Ame will probably lose the #1 position before the end of the year unless she keeps up with Pova. Both Pova and Ame have a lot of points to make up to prevent JHH from getting the #1 spot by default. See the Race standings.

So, I think Ame dropped out this week to go head to head with Pova for the next two or three weeks, then rest a week for the YEC. Ame will play Moscow.

Rumor has it that both Venus and Serena will play Moscow!?! Maybe Venus didn't hurt her wrist so badly after all.

sapir1434
Oct 6th, 2006, 12:47 AM
I hope she'll feel good enough to play it.

bellascarlett
Oct 6th, 2006, 01:08 AM
Ame will probably lose the #1 position before the end of the year unless she keeps up with Pova. Both Pova and Ame have a lot of points to make up to prevent JHH from getting the #1 spot by default. See the Race standings.

So, I think Ame dropped out this week to go head to head with Pova for the next two or three weeks, then rest a week for the YEC. Ame will play Moscow.

Rumor has it that both Venus and Serena will play Moscow!?! Maybe Venus didn't hurt her wrist so badly after all.

Hmmm but thing is, let's say Maria does well in her next two tournies, wouldn't Momo need this week to keep up with Maria just because Amelie has more points to defend in the indoor season (gez it also depends on how many more events she plays)? Sorry don't really know how to calculate points myself. Although I know Momo lost early much last indoor season before winning b4 the YEC.

perseus2006
Oct 6th, 2006, 01:26 AM
Hmmm but thing is, let's say Maria does well in her next two tournies, wouldn't Momo need this week to keep up with Maria just because Amelie has more points to defend in the indoor season (gez it also depends on how many more events she plays)? Sorry don't really know how to calculate points myself. Although I know Momo lost early much last indoor season before winning b4 the YEC.

Here's how the Race stands now:

Cur Name/Country Rank Pts Tours
1 HENIN-HARDENNE, JUSTINE BEL
3473.00 12
2 MAURESMO, AMELIE FRA
2872.00 14
3 SHARAPOVA, MARIA RUS
2727.00 11
4 KUZNETSOVA, SVETLANA RUS
2433.00 18

My thought is that Ame doesn't want to come into the two Tier I's tired when Pova comes in fresh. Ame has a small lead on Pova and wants to go for the same number of points, not gain a few points at a lower level event.

JHH will only play the YEC, according to her website. If Pova or Ame win both the tier I's and the YEC they will be #1. This is most important to Ame. She really wants the record book to show her at #1 for the 2006.

Winning the tournaments is the most important thing to Pova - she wants to win, especially the Moscow event! If she is as sharp as at the USO, it is going to be difficult to stop her but it's Ame's only chance. Moscow could be the most vicious tournament of the year.

Getting through the YEC without further damage is the most important thing to JHH so she can be ready for 2007.

hu2891601
Oct 6th, 2006, 01:34 AM
Even though either Sharapova or Mauresmo wins both Tier I events, they still won't be sure for year ending #1. Winner for Tier I is 300 points. so, neither will pass JHH, or if it's slightly higher than 300 points(some Tier I events are, don't remember which ones), and JHH is currently 601 ahead of Mauresmo, and more ahead of Sharapova, JHH still have a great chance of finishing the year #1 if she plays YEC. Mauresmo or Sharapova might lose early in YEC, like round robin, or semifinal.. and if Henin wins the YEC, she'll be the year ending #1, doesn't matter whether mauresmo of sharapova wins both tier I.

thiaela
Oct 6th, 2006, 01:35 AM
I think she will play there.

bellascarlett
Oct 6th, 2006, 01:57 AM
Here's how the Race stands now:

Cur Name/Country Rank Pts Tours
1 HENIN-HARDENNE, JUSTINE BEL
3473.00 12
2 MAURESMO, AMELIE FRA
2872.00 14
3 SHARAPOVA, MARIA RUS
2727.00 11
4 KUZNETSOVA, SVETLANA RUS
2433.00 18

My thought is that Ame doesn't want to come into the two Tier I's tired when Pova comes in fresh. Ame has a small lead on Pova and wants to go for the same number of points, not gain a few points at a lower level event.

JHH will only play the YEC, according to her website. If Pova or Ame win both the tier I's and the YEC they will be #1. This is most important to Ame. She really wants the record book to show her at #1 for the 2006.

Winning the tournaments is the most important thing to Pova - she wants to win, especially the Moscow event! If she is as sharp as at the USO, it is going to be difficult to stop her but it's Ame's only chance. Moscow could be the most vicious tournament of the year.

Getting through the YEC without further damage is the most important thing to JHH so she can be ready for 2007.

No but isn't rankings & not the race counted in determining the YE number 1?

and thus:
1 (1) MAURESMO, AMELIE FRA
3746.00 0.00 19
2 (2) HENIN-HARDENNE, JUSTINE BEL
3474.00 0.00 13
3 (3) SHARAPOVA, MARIA RUS
3037.00 0.00 13

j-fan
Oct 6th, 2006, 01:57 AM
Even though either Sharapova or Mauresmo wins both Tier I events, they still won't be sure for year ending #1. Winner for Tier I is 300 points. so, neither will pass JHH, or if it's slightly higher than 300 points(some Tier I events are, don't remember which ones), and JHH is currently 601 ahead of Mauresmo, and more ahead of Sharapova, JHH still have a great chance of finishing the year #1 if she plays YEC. Mauresmo or Sharapova might lose early in YEC, like round robin, or semifinal.. and if Henin wins the YEC, she'll be the year ending #1, doesn't matter whether mauresmo of sharapova wins both tier I.

No, year-end #1 is based on WTA tour points, which is based on 52 week total of 17 best tournament results, not on race to the championship points. This means Mauresmo is about 300 points ahead of Justine not the otherway around.

hu2891601
Oct 6th, 2006, 02:01 AM
NO.... If you wanna look at the WTA ranking on who's gonna be Year Ending #1, then you will have to subtract the defending points!!!! HOWEVER, if you look at the Race Ranking, you just look at the points, plain and simple, and you don't have subtract or add any points! So, if you subtract Mauremo's almost 1000 points (her defending points) she is around 600 points behind JHH.

Si_Hi
Oct 6th, 2006, 04:31 AM
amelie will be there and she will get to at least SF

Drake1980
Oct 6th, 2006, 05:18 AM
I think she'll play ;)

hu2891601
Oct 8th, 2006, 08:48 AM
so, Mauresmo is still in the main draw right now, so I guess this would mean that she's going to play Moscow?

Ben.
Oct 8th, 2006, 09:09 AM
even if she does play she'll probably have a possible tough opener against li na who is a pure hitter of the ball & is likely 2 cause mauresmo fits. so i have a feeling that amelie will struggle. hope she plays.

Dexter
Oct 8th, 2006, 09:17 AM
In the short interview I saw on ES, Amélie wasn't confident at all about Moscow...yep and yesterday on ES commentators were talking about Moscow and said they weren't sure at all if Amelie's so gonna play.

RussiaTennis
Oct 8th, 2006, 09:21 AM
No but isn't rankings & not the race counted in determining the YE number 1?

and thus:
1 (1) MAURESMO, AMELIE FRA
3746.00 0.00 19
2 (2) HENIN-HARDENNE, JUSTINE BEL
3474.00 0.00 13
3 (3) SHARAPOVA, MARIA RUS
3037.00 0.00 13

Its the race that determines the rankings at the end of the year.

By the end of the year the race and the rankings will become the same thing.

Neptune
Oct 8th, 2006, 09:26 AM
She will play.She saw the doctor recently and it's was just an imflammation.So,she has best hope to play in Moscow.
Source:French Eurosport.

timafi
Oct 8th, 2006, 02:43 PM
She will play.She saw the doctor recently and it's was just an imflammation.So,she has best hope to play in Moscow.
Source:French Eurosport.
no you need to be careful with what is being said :rolleyes:
the press release said she will have another test early this week and then decide if she will play KC.

Corswandt
Oct 8th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Its the race that determines the rankings at the end of the year.

By the end of the year the race and the rankings will become the same thing.

Not exactly, because there are a few differences.

The race doesn't include points won at Challengers (so, for instance, Martina Müller is much lower on the race than on the WTA rankings) - but that doesn't make any difference for the top players (out of the top of my head, highest ranked player to play a Challenger this year was ALG IIRC).

But the race includes points won at all WTA tournaments, the rankings only at the best 17 tournaments. The race favours tournament hogging even more than the standard rankings.

RussiaTennis
Oct 8th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Not exactly, because there are a few differences.

The race doesn't include points won at Challengers (so, for instance, Martina Müller is much lower on the race than on the WTA rankings) - but that doesn't make any difference for the top players (out of the top of my head, highest ranked player to play a Challenger this year was ALG IIRC).

But the race includes points won at all WTA tournaments, the rankings only at the best 17 tournaments. The race favours tournament hogging even more than the standard rankings.

Ok, that means the race favours Kuznetsova then :lol:

Though most top players play less than 17 tournaments per year. Maria is only on 11 and Henin on 12 so far.