PDA

View Full Version : Lena D. on Maria Sharapova's Fed Cup plans

DarkchildSwiss
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:52 PM
taken from Reuters:

Dementieva welcomed the announcement that U.S. Open champion Maria Sharapova wanted to join Russia's Fed Cup campaign next season.

Russia have been drawn at home against Spain in the first round in April.

"If she (Sharapova) plays it's going to be very helpful for the team," said Dementieva. "She's a very strong player and we have a lot of chances to win if she's playing."

Anastasia Myskina once said she would refuse to play if Sharapova's father Yuri was present.

But Dementieva dismissed the idea of unrest in the Russian camp.

"I don't see any problems with her father," said Dementieva.

"He's an emotional guy but it is nothing to do with his daughter. Maria is a nice girl and I don't see any problems."

tenn_ace
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:53 PM
taken from Reuters:

Dementieva welcomed the announcement that U.S. Open champion Maria Sharapova wanted to join Russia's Fed Cup campaign next season.

"If she (Sharapova) plays it's going to be very helpful for the team," said Dementieva. "She's a very strong player and we have a lot of chances to win if she's playing."

Anastasia Myskina once said she would refuse to play if Sharapova's father Yuri was present.

"He's an emotional guy but it is nothing to do with his daughter. Maria is a nice girl and I don't see any problems."

I just hate Elena. Why spoil all the fun on this board? :rolleyes: :p ;) :kiss:

miffedmax
I'm sure Masha will be a fine Russia #2.

morningglory
so a lot of people can shut up now... I knew Elena D would have a good sense... In a team, a strong ally helps, whether you like her or not, you share the same agenda now, and that's enough :D

LH2HBH
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:54 PM

:lol: cute!

RussiaTennis
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:55 PM

Maria will be leading the team as she is the best female Russian tennis player of all time, by a long way.

bellascarlett
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:59 PM

Ah I love Lena :hug: This should shut some up now...and Lena saying Maria is a nice girl...*dead* :cool: watch people twist this...

There ya go, another kick in the butt for goldenlox...i luv this day! :lol:

LH2HBH
Oct 4th, 2006, 09:02 PM
GOOD - put some of the drama to rest!

A'DAM
Oct 4th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Did Nastya already hear that :haha:

.david.
Oct 4th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Oh Lena im starting to love you more and more. She is a very nice girl.

Masha and Lena Fed Cup Team :hearts:

bellascarlett
Oct 4th, 2006, 09:05 PM

Since I like you Max, I will let this go. :lol: (:secret: and not insist Maria is higher ranked)...

But Lena can act as the leader if she also plays...she deserves it anyway as she is the fed cup veteran. :)

I really hope Lena and Masha play together. They'll be a tough team for singles. My other two picks would be Dinara and Anna Chakvetadze although I think Kirilenko might get in as she will make it more comfortable for Maria.

Slumpsova
Oct 4th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Elena D is classy as she always be :yeah:

TiK-Tee
Oct 4th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Lena :kiss:

Ballbasher
Oct 4th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Great words Lena :worship:

Viktymise
Oct 4th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Lena is uber nice but lol i cant imagine lena being on the sidelines at marias match cheering her on, im not saying its not gonna happen it just a bit unimaginable :lol:

KoOlMaNsEaN
Oct 4th, 2006, 09:39 PM
It's nice to hear from Elena :) Anything that can make the Russian Fed Cup Team stronger is a plus.

Filippo-Nastya
Oct 4th, 2006, 09:42 PM

Unfortunately dear Lena, you will be helped only in the 1/4 vs Spain and then Maria will leave you alone again. :tape:

Andy.
Oct 4th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Those were some really nice words by Elena.

jacobruiz
Oct 4th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Lena is uber nice but lol i cant imagine lena being on the sidelines at marias match cheering her on, im not saying its not gonna happen it just a bit unimaginable :lol:

Why "unimaginable"? I don't think you know much about Fed Cup.

Elena's words are very nice (and very diplomatic). Maria IS a very nice girl, and I think most girls on the tour agree with Elena.

blumaroo
Oct 4th, 2006, 10:40 PM

Elena's words are very nice (and very diplomatic). Maria IS a very nice girl, and I think most girls on the tour agree with Elena.

Agreed. If Clijsters and Justine can cheer each other on, then I don't see why this would be different. They all want to win the cup. There's no room for hostility or jealousy.

P_Fer
Oct 4th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Imagine if Lena and Masha were to play doubles together:drool::worship:

Great words Lena

Piotr'ek
Oct 4th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Masha, Sveta, Lena and Safina
Looking good :)

the cat
Oct 5th, 2006, 01:44 AM
It's nice of Elena to open the door for Maria joining the Russian Fed Cup team next year. :)

lilimi
Oct 5th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Elena D is classy as she always be :yeah:
:worship: :worship: :worship: she wants the best for the team!

Prizeidiot
Oct 5th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Agreed. If Clijsters and Justine can cheer each other on, then I don't see why this would be different. They all want to win the cup. There's no room for hostility or jealousy.
That's true. You see so many sports where two people are pretty much at each other's throats in regular season matches, then suddenly when you put them on the same rep team they'll take a bullet for one another.

If Maria wins big matches for the Russian team, I can't see how Elena won't be ecstatic.

Shoulderpova
Oct 5th, 2006, 10:30 AM
I'm 70% sure that Masha will be joined by Lena D. The rest of the team will be Vera (she said she's ready to play Fed Cup again) or Anna Chak or Dinara. Masha K could be picked if she finds her form by April :p

Prizeidiot
Oct 5th, 2006, 10:41 AM
I'm 70% sure that Masha will be joined by Lena D. The rest of the team will be Vera (she said she's ready to play Fed Cup again) or Anna Chak or Dinara. Masha K could be picked if she finds her form by April :p
70%? That would be the odds if Elena breaks her right arm. Elena will be there

AnnaK_4ever
Oct 5th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Masha, Sveta, Lena and Safina
Looking good :)

No way Kuznetsova + Sharapova or Kuznetsova + Dementieva!

I highly doubt Sveta will ever play Fed Cup again, especially after direspectful comments on her and her team from Tarpischev.

Slumpsova
Oct 5th, 2006, 12:22 PM

I highly doubt Sveta will ever play Fed Cup again, especially after direspectful comments on her and her team from Tarpischev.

what comment?

rockstar
Oct 5th, 2006, 12:37 PM
it's so obvious maria only wants to qualify for beijing

Adal
Oct 5th, 2006, 12:48 PM

Why no Kuznetsova+Sharapova?

zibaas
Oct 5th, 2006, 02:16 PM
uh
a little false i think

goldenlox
Oct 5th, 2006, 03:08 PM
What do you expect Dementieva to say? She already made her comments on Maria in 2004
She's not looking to start a new controversy.

the cat
Oct 5th, 2006, 04:15 PM
GL, you know that Elena Dementieva speaks her mind no matter what. Now she wants Maria Sharapova as a Fed Cup teammate. And it will happen in 2007. :yeah: There really isn't much more you can say about this topic because once Russia's most loyal female tennis player (Dementieva) says she's looking forward to Sharapova playing Fed Cup for Russia next year then the path has been paved for Maria to play for the Russian national team. In part thanks to Elena. :)

Ryan
Oct 5th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Lets get one thing straight: most of the players on the WTA aren't as petty as posters on this board. I doubt Elena would want to keep Maria off the team and weaken their chances of winning FC, just because she doesn't like her (Im not saying she dislikes her, just IF she did). I guarantee Elena and all the other Russians want to win for their country, no matter who they're teamed with.

thiaela
Oct 5th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Lena is too nice, to say that.

:worship:

goldenlox
Oct 5th, 2006, 04:26 PM
GL, you know that Elena Dementieva speaks her mind no matter what. :)Lena is much smarter than that :cool:

Maria Croft
Oct 5th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Some really nice words :hug:

AnnaK_4ever
Oct 5th, 2006, 05:48 PM
what comment?
He said that Sveta was turning into kind of marionette in the hands of her coaches, that she had no her own opinion, and that she fell a victim to her unbalanced training programm.

the cat
Oct 5th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Hey GL, even ever so loyal to Russia Elena Dementieva is against you on this one. :p It's time to give it up and accept Masha onto the Russian national team the way Elena has. :yeah:

Viktymise
Oct 5th, 2006, 06:28 PM

you need to re read my post i said i that if it was just normal circumstance lena wouldnt be cheering for Sharapova she prob will be when the play i just said its hard to imagine

manu32
Oct 5th, 2006, 07:12 PM
politically correct......but kuznetsova is the russian's best player....not dementieva.....

jacobruiz
Oct 5th, 2006, 09:36 PM
you need to re read my post i said i that if it was just normal circumstance lena wouldnt be cheering for Sharapova she prob will be when the play i just said its hard to imagine

This isn't really that important but since you said I need to reread your post; here it is in its entirety:

"Lena is uber nice but lol i cant imagine lena being on the sidelines at marias match cheering her on, im not saying its not gonna happen it just a bit unimaginable"

At any rate, go Russia! if Maria is on the team, if not, vamos Espana!:bounce:

streag
Oct 5th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Dementieva seems to have developed quite a healthy respect for Sharapova. Perhaps she is a closet worshipper of Maria :devil:

Lillibet
Oct 5th, 2006, 09:51 PM
That was really nice of Elena to say :)