PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Hopman Cup first teams announced: USA (Venus & Dent) and Spain (Anabel & Tommy)

spiceboy
Oct 4th, 2006, 05:17 PM
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2006-10/04/content_5168937.htm?rss=1

Robredo again represents Spain for Hopman Cup

CANBERRA, Oct. 4 (Xinhua) -- Former Hopman Cup winner and world No.8 Tommy Robredo will once again represent Spain in the mixed team tennis tournament later this year, partnering Anabel Medina Garrigues.

Robredo, Spain's No. 2 behind Rafael Nadal, was a 19-year-old rising star when he won the Hopman Cup with the legendary Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario in 2002.

His blistering forehand took Spain to a thrilling victory over the United States.

Garrigues is Spain's No. 1 female player and is ranked 28 in the world. Spain is the second team confirmed for the event, along with the United States who will be represented by Taylor Dent and former world No. 1 Venus Williams.

The Hopman Cup runs from December 30 to January 5 at Perth's Burswood Dome. Enditem

VeeTennisFan
Oct 4th, 2006, 05:19 PM
I was hoping that Venus was teamed up with James Blake for the Hopman Cup.

spiceboy
Oct 4th, 2006, 05:35 PM
http://www.turkishpress.com/news.asp?id=144947

Hopman Cup expanding into Asia

10-04-2006, 07h36
PERTH, Australia (AFP)

The Hopman Cup mixed team tennis tournament is expanding into Asia with the introduction of the inaugural Asian Hopman Cup, to be held in Hyderabad, India.
The event will take place in the week beginning November 20 with the winning nation crowned Asian champions and rewarded with direct entry into the Hopman Cup proper in Perth in late December as the eighth team.

India will play host for the next three years.

"In this first year we are working towards inviting the top six countries based on the leading male and female rankings," said Asian Tennis Federation president Anil Khanna.

This is expected to include nations such as Thailand and China. Host nation India will be represented by Sania Mirza and doubles great Leander Paes.

"As the winner will have the honour of competing in the Hopman Cup in Perth, this tournament is likely to showcase most of Asia?s burgeoning talent," said Hopman Cup Tournament Director Paul McNamee.

"The birth of the Asian Hopman Cup is a major step in the evolution of the event."

The United States is the defending Hopman Cup champion.

Alvarillo
Oct 4th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Anabel :hearts: & Tommy :worship:

RenaSlam.
Oct 4th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Dent fucking sucks. Get James in there.

Vut
Oct 4th, 2006, 06:02 PM
http://www.turkishpress.com/news.asp?id=144947

Hopman Cup expanding into Asia

10-04-2006, 07h36
PERTH, Australia (AFP)

The Hopman Cup mixed team tennis tournament is expanding into Asia with the introduction of the inaugural Asian Hopman Cup, to be held in Hyderabad, India.
The event will take place in the week beginning November 20 with the winning nation crowned Asian champions and rewarded with direct entry into the Hopman Cup proper in Perth in late December as the eighth team.

India will play host for the next three years.

"In this first year we are working towards inviting the top six countries based on the leading male and female rankings," said Asian Tennis Federation president Anil Khanna.

This is expected to include nations such as Thailand and China. Host nation India will be represented by Sania Mirza and doubles great Leander Paes.

"As the winner will have the honour of competing in the Hopman Cup in Perth, this tournament is likely to showcase most of Asia?s burgeoning talent," said Hopman Cup Tournament Director Paul McNamee.

"The birth of the Asian Hopman Cup is a major step in the evolution of the event."

The United States is the defending Hopman Cup champion.

that good idea but it look like India want to play more than other 6 countires!

For Thailand Team, I don't think Paradorn Srichaphan(ATP-40) will play as Danai Udomchoke(ATP-108) who have lot of points to defend during October-November so who will play? maybe the Thai no.3 ranking something around 900s will play :lol: for women, its possible that some of our top players will play except Tammy! :tape:

I still hope that Udomchoke and Viratprasert will play for Thai team!
Is 6 countries including Taipei??

Ellery
Oct 4th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Venus and Taylor :hearts: Nice team.

V-MAC
Oct 4th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Does Taylor Dent have to play this like every year :yawn: Give someone else a chance.

thiaela
Oct 4th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Good for them.
Anabel and Tommy.

.Andrew.
Oct 4th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Why Venus and Dent :o Venus with Roddick or Blake please! :D :worship:

-sugi-
Oct 4th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Anabel and Tommy :hearts:

Great team :yeah: Hope they do well...

WhatTheDeuce
Oct 4th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Venus/Dent :rocker2: Though I agree Venus/Blake or Venus/Roddick would be lightyears better. :ras:

bellascarlett
Oct 4th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Dent?? :tape:

Should have convinced James.

I wonder who Russia will send. So many to choose from now.

crazyroberto6767
Oct 4th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Considering Dent was part of the winning team last year, I'd say he should be given a spot if he wants one.

I'm very happy Venus is playing :woohoo:. She lacked in match play going into the beginning of the year last year, and this will definitley help. Lots of singles, doubles, and mixed action coming her way. Hopefully she's all healed & healthy by then :yeah:.

bellascarlett
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Considering Dent was part of the winning team last year, I'd say he should be given a spot if he wants one.

valid point. i forget he won last year...was it with lisa raymond?

.Andrew.
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:18 PM
valid point. i forget he won last year...was it with lisa raymond?
Yes, I think it was Lisa Raymond.

Denise4925
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:21 PM
I'm glad Venus will get some action on that surface before the AO. :)

SJW
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:44 PM
James only has eyes for one Williams Sister :angel:

thesungoesdown
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Will GB have Anne Keothavong in the team? :D

Viktymise
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:51 PM
I expect that this may be the next time we see Vee compete because of the injury and all :sad: but hope they win it, could be a real tussle between USA and Russia :D

Diesel
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:59 PM
James only has eyes for one Williams Sister :angel:

Exactly :)

tennnisfannn
Oct 4th, 2006, 11:37 PM
Dent is our Aussie mate. Venus better actually come coz i cannot wait to finally see her in person.

moon
Oct 4th, 2006, 11:59 PM
I don't care who she plays with, as long as she plays.
And I get to see it on tv.

Just Justine
Oct 5th, 2006, 12:29 AM
Yes, I think it was Lisa Raymond.

Yeah, though she was 0-4 for singles matches. Lost to Ivanovic 6-4, 6-2, Kuznetsova 6-4, 6-1, Arviddson, 2-6, 6-2, 6-4 and I can't remeber the other match, although I do know that she lost it. Btw, does anyone know why matches in Hopman Cup don't go on head to head records?

cartmancop
Oct 5th, 2006, 12:40 AM
Great that the US has Venus. Taylor.... I wish Ginepri or Fish or Blake or Roddick or someone else... I thought he was out with surgery anyway...maybe Sam Querrey can play if none of the top players want to.

Привет
Oct 5th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Yeah, though she was 0-4 for singles matches. Lost to Ivanovic 6-4, 6-2, Kuznetsova 6-4, 6-1, Arviddson, 2-6, 6-2, 6-4 and I can't remeber the other match, although I do know that she lost it. Btw, does anyone know why matches in Hopman Cup don't go on head to head records?
Pretty sure that she lost to Krajicek in the final, with Taylor beating Wessels and then the mixed doubles being a live rubber. No idea why the matches don't go on head to head records, sorry can't help u there! :D
And Anabel & Tommy seem like an interesting team, good to see Spain back in the Hopman Cup.

Kenny
Oct 5th, 2006, 04:14 AM
Wow, wonder who they might get after Venus withdraws.. lol

(Just kidding, fellow Venus fans! :) )

DutchieGirl
Oct 5th, 2006, 04:15 AM
USA was announced AGES ago! :lol:

DutchieGirl
Oct 5th, 2006, 04:16 AM
Pretty sure that she lost to Krajicek in the final, with Taylor beating Wessels and then the mixed doubles being a live rubber. No idea why the matches don't go on head to head records, sorry can't help u there! :D
And Anabel & Tommy seem like an interesting team, good to see Spain back in the Hopman Cup.

She did... in straight sets (lose to Krajicek in the final). ;)

VeeReeDavJCap81
Oct 5th, 2006, 04:26 AM
They're both currently sidelined with injuries :sad: So hopefully they'll be ready :hearts:

TomTennis
Oct 5th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Would have been fantastic if it was Venus/Blake or Venus/Roddick.....but Taylor is a great player and did win it last year, so we really ought to be happy.

cfc_4_ever
Oct 5th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Btw, does anyone know why matches in Hopman Cup don't go on head to head records?

I am pretty sure from last year that the matche are part of the H2H. If it aint it wud be just because its an exbihtion

DutchieGirl
Oct 5th, 2006, 06:55 PM
I am pretty sure from last year that the matche are part of the H2H. If it aint it wud be just because its an exbihtion

They are meant to be.