PDA

View Full Version : Australian Open to use istant replay

Aaron.
Oct 4th, 2006, 12:39 AM
MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) -- The Australian Open will follow the U.S. Open and introduce an instant replay challenge system for disputed line calls.

The 2006 U.S. Open was the first Grand Slam tournament to introduce the video replay system, although the technology had been used at other ATP events.

The "Hawk-Eye" system will only be used on Rod Laver Arena -- the center court at Melbourne Park -- where two giant TV screens will be installed for players, officials and spectators to follow analysis of the disputed calls.

Australian Open spokesman John Lindsay said Tuesday organizers have yet to decide if they would limit the number of challenges -- the U.S. Open allowed two per set to review line calls -- or allow unlimited challenges.

Under the challenge system, a graphic rendering of the shot in question is played on the on-court video screen, with the ball's landing spot highlighted.

If the replay shows the original call was wrong, the player keeps that challenge. If the original call was correct, the player loses that challenge.

Prize money for the tournament, to be played Jan. 15-28, will increase to $14.95 million with the men's and women's singles champions each earning $960,000.

Roger Federer and Amelie Mauresmo are the defending champions.

Mark Edmondson, the last Australian man to win the national championship, will be inducted into the Australian Tennis Hall of Fame during the tournament. Edmondson, unseeded and ranked No. 212, beat John Newcombe in the 1976 final.

morningglory
Oct 4th, 2006, 01:39 AM
awesome!

Mattographer
Oct 4th, 2006, 01:51 AM
I don't like it, actually. I think it would be good for Davis Cup, Fed Cup, Hopman Cup and maybe Olympics, that is it.

WhatTheDeuce
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:01 AM
I don't like it, actually. I think it would be good for Davis Cup, Fed Cup, Hopman Cup and maybe Olympics, that is it.
Um.. Why? :scratch:

P_Fer
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:26 AM
Great news

joaco
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:40 AM
I don't think unlimited challenges would be such a great idea. Some people would challenge everything close to the lines. It would be annoying

hu2891601
Oct 4th, 2006, 03:20 AM
that's Great! I think all tennis tournaments should have instant replay!

cr_ar_4ever
Oct 4th, 2006, 03:22 AM
I had a feeling the Aussie Open would be the 2nd Slam to use it.
I like the fact that they will use it. :D

Dani12
Oct 4th, 2006, 03:25 AM
I think it will be welcomed well in Australia, we used it anyway for TV uses all the time. and people liked that. So I'm sure everyone will love it being official.

Aaron68
Oct 4th, 2006, 04:12 AM
This is totally ridiculous. Instant replay is a HORRIBLE idea.

How is this even remotely fair? Either you have Instant Replay on EVERY court, or none. Having it on one court is completely and utterly unfair. Not to mention that it isn't 100% accurate anyway.

The whole idea is juvenile, poorly thought out, and a disgrace to the game. Are they really that desperate?