PDA

View Full Version : SI: Graf most puffed-up tennis player

Jessons
Oct 4th, 2006, 01:32 AM
In 2001, the experts at the highly acclaimed SI concluded that Steffi Graf was the most puffed-up tennis player (without the intervention of a knife-wielding maniac she would have played second fiddle to Monica Seles as well as Martina Navratilova) and it was better to watch the game from the armchair than the main stand.

Tennis Fool
Oct 4th, 2006, 01:36 AM
As I said in another thread, I think if it weren't for the stabbing, Monica & Steffi would have been tied in the number of Slams, around 17. I think Monica would have one at least 1 Wimbledon (1994, possibly). I think Martina Nav would have come out ahead of both of them.

Sund7101
Oct 4th, 2006, 01:45 AM
What about Chrissie? Didn't she have 18 slams as well as Martina.

Jessons
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:10 AM
What about Chrissie? Didn't she have 18 slams as well as Martina.

Evert won the French Open seven times, the US Open six times, Wimbledon 3 times and the Australian Open twice.

tennisjunky
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:16 AM
to all monica fans, its time to move on. just like time, tennis doesnt stop for anyone. as it stands steffi is one of the all time best and monica is a great champion. by no fault of her own she's not in the same league as steffi. personally i like monica better, but who really cares, we cant change the past so lets move on.

Jessons
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:25 AM
just like time, tennis doesnt stop for anyone.

"I do not remember days, I remember moments"

Jessons
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:30 AM
to all monica fans, its time to move on. just like time, tennis doesnt stop for anyone. as it stands steffi is one of the all time best and monica is a great champion. by no fault of her own she's not in the same league as steffi. personally i like monica better, but who really cares, we cant change the past so lets move on.

Sounds like you're making things up as you go.

Jessons
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:35 AM
As I said in another thread, I think if it weren't for the stabbing, Monica & Steffi would have been tied in the number of Slams, around 17. I think Monica would have one at least 1 Wimbledon (1994, possibly). I think Martina Nav would have come out ahead of both of them.

Navratilova had Chris Evert to create one of the great rivalries in sports. But Graf never really had Seles, who arrived on the scene after Graf swept the four Grand Slam tournaments in 1988. Seles was the No. 1 player when she was attacked. She had won the Australian, French and U.S. Open titles in each of the previous two years. There had been three straight Australian crowns after Graf had won three in a row there. Seles had won 30 singles titles in just five years, eight of them Grand Slams.

Then Parche struck.

Jessons
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:56 AM
we cant change the past so lets move on.

"Never mind the personal implications, the life-altering event that was," "It changed the course of tennis history."

Martina Navratilova

supergrunt
Oct 4th, 2006, 03:16 AM
Steffi is better than Monica. End of story. There are a lot of "what ifs" but simply put "what ifs" are "what ifs" :sad: !

Jessons
Oct 4th, 2006, 03:55 AM
Steffi is better than Monica. End of story. There are a lot of "what ifs" but simply put "what ifs" are "what ifs" :sad: !

Against my better, and "mature" judgement...I laughed at this!

Jessons
Oct 4th, 2006, 03:58 AM

You and LDVTennis should get together and have a nice chat. Not much you could say to each other, but you'd both have a fine time.

Jessons
Oct 4th, 2006, 04:04 AM
Steffi is better than Monica. End of story.

But then, that's just you, making stuff up again, to fit it all in your "Graf is the Greatest" LMAO!

Junex
Oct 4th, 2006, 05:02 AM
But then, that's just you, making stuff up again, to fit it all in your "Graf is the Greatest" LMAO!

I am laughing at you...you keep on quoting the same reply over and over again....

but then i realize your new here... :taped:

metamorpha
Oct 4th, 2006, 05:05 AM
What does 'puffed-up' mean? overhyped or something?

anlavalle
Oct 4th, 2006, 06:13 AM
:yawn:

FaileBashere
Oct 4th, 2006, 07:23 AM
Against my better, and "mature" judgement...I laughed at this!

really? how young are you?

Kunal
Oct 4th, 2006, 07:33 AM
its true...if it wasnt for the stabber then steffie would have had fewer grand slams no doubt

Marcus Jordan
Oct 4th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Monica Seles definitely the most unlucky player ever.

Jessons
Oct 4th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Monica Seles definitely the most unlucky player ever.

None different than what Tonya Harding did to Nancy Kerrigan the following year. Both attacks were by people who were motivated to make the attacks for the benefit of a lower ranked rival of the player who was attacked.

Jessons
Oct 4th, 2006, 12:25 PM
really? how young are you?

You said something stupid and indefensible and now you're just playing games.