PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL: María A. Sanchez-Lorenzo Retires !!!

Alvarillo
Oct 3rd, 2006, 11:51 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad:
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I still can't believe but in the tv coverage of ITF Barcelona 75.000$ today, it seems Miguel Margets (Fed Cup Captain) said that María retires from tennis.
She has been forced to retire for this year due to back problems but .... a poster said in the Spanish Forum that Mico said that so ...

But still unofficial
It would be a very sad new, we need you María! :kiss:

pierce0415
Oct 3rd, 2006, 11:52 PM
that is sad
and she took a set off Na Li @ USO

rated_next
Oct 4th, 2006, 12:12 AM
i'm not surprised :sad: :bigcry:

she started the year so well and then ... :o

Farina Elia Fan
Oct 4th, 2006, 10:33 AM
:eek:

:sad:

that is bad news!!!

Modiac.
Oct 4th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Really???
She still played well in USO this year.

Juan
Oct 4th, 2006, 10:52 AM
It's official. Look at the front page of Maria's hometown newspaper "Tribuna de Salamanca"
http://www.tribuna.net/imagenes/portada.pdf

On upper right corner it says: Maria Antonia Sanchez leaves her tennis career due to back problems

Carsten
Oct 4th, 2006, 10:55 AM
MASL :sad:

jimbo mack
Oct 4th, 2006, 10:56 AM

maria

enjoy life post tennis :wavey:

i will remember her most for her run to the 4th round of the aus open 1999 where she beat jana novotna 6/3 6/0 en route :eek:

Manu79
Oct 4th, 2006, 11:00 AM
i will remember her most for her run to the 4th round of the aus open 1999 where she beat jana novotna 6/3 6/0 en route :eek:

:bounce: :bounce: Yes, It was :drool: :bounce: :worship:

María :sad:

CooCooCachoo
Oct 4th, 2006, 11:01 AM
OMG :speakles: :eek: :o :sad:

I refuse to believe it until it's official, though things look very bad :sad:

jimbo mack
Oct 4th, 2006, 11:04 AM
i will also remember her title in knokke heist 1999, and her run to the semis of tier 2 in hamburg 1997 thrashing conchita martinez in the quarters

i also liked her name :p

thanks for the fond memories maria :)

LefandePatty
Oct 4th, 2006, 11:41 AM
That's really sad! :awww:

.Andrew.
Oct 4th, 2006, 11:48 AM
:awww: :speakles: Sanchez Lorenzo :sad:

tobi
Oct 4th, 2006, 11:55 AM
MASL :awww: :sobbing: :(

Alvarillo
Oct 4th, 2006, 11:57 AM
it's official
we won't see Maria on court again :sad: :sad: :sad:
i'm going to miss you a lot :kiss:

CooCooCachoo
Oct 4th, 2006, 12:00 PM
:sobbing: :sad: :sad: :sobbing:

Never was a fan, but this just suckz! I still saw her in real life in Paris this year :sad:

Ellery
Oct 4th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Maria :sad: :hug:

suzie
Oct 4th, 2006, 12:11 PM

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Oct 4th, 2006, 12:13 PM
well good luck to her in her years to come

"Sluggy"
Oct 4th, 2006, 12:20 PM
very sad to hear this, very sad!

AaronJoyB
Oct 4th, 2006, 12:32 PM
from her site:
www.vamos-maria.com (http://www.vamos-maria.com)

Message from María:

Hello everyone!

I am still injured and I think I can’t play anymore this season. It will be difficult to start next season, but I’ll try to recover and be mentally prepared for next year. Thanks for all the emails and nice words in the guestbook, it helps me a lot in this moments.

25/09/06

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 4th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Maria :( :sad: :bigcry: :(

rated_next
Oct 4th, 2006, 01:32 PM
so, she hasn't retired yet????

according to her website

Meelis
Oct 4th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Maria :sad:

ClaudiaZ-S
Oct 4th, 2006, 01:53 PM
:eek: Unexpected

TS
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Hmmm, so what's the go?

Sad to see her go, if in fact she has called it quits :sad:

TatiAnnahølic
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:53 PM
pffff... this sucks big time! :hysteric::hysteric::hysteric::hysteric::sobbing:: sobbing::sobbing::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:

Highlandman
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:58 PM
WHATTTTTTTTT???????????????????????????????? :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

I could cry :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing: :tears: :tears: :tears:

She is one of my absolute favs :sad: :sad:

Drake1980
Oct 4th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Maria:sad:

Alberto
Oct 4th, 2006, 04:58 PM
very vey sad....

spiceboy
Oct 4th, 2006, 05:00 PM
I refuse to believe it until it's official, though things look very bad :sad:

It is official. She told me about it earlier this week at the challenger in BCN but she didn't want me to make it this official yet. Looks like our Fed Cup Captain did the job for me :lol:

She's happy and relaxed so no need to feel bad for her.

I was born the very same day as her in the same country and she's one of my faves, but that's life...she left home in Salamanca when she was just 14 to train in BCN. Time to have a full life away from tennis.

We'll miss you Maria :kiss:

Shooter
Oct 4th, 2006, 05:01 PM
that is sad and she took a set off Na Li @ USO Maria Sanchez Lorenzo - U.S. Open - 2006

http://www.mfwweb.com/tennis/NY06/Lorenzo_01.jpg

UpskirtFan
Oct 4th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Maria Sanchez-Lorenzo? Not her!!! I can´t believe that - but I have to after having read what other people say here in the forum... :sad:

One of the prettiest, hottest and cutest players has gone for ever! The upskirt girls showing their asses are dying out sooner or later. :crying2:

Go to hell biker shorts underneath tennis skirts. Come back fancy pants (e.g. Anke Huber, Irina Spirlea...)!!! :bigcry:

*Jool*
Oct 4th, 2006, 05:04 PM
:hysteric:

I'll miss her a lot - I :hearts: Spanish players

controlfreak
Oct 4th, 2006, 05:06 PM
On behalf of the Jewish posters here, may I be the first to say MASL-tov to Maria for your future life and career. ;)

CooCooCachoo
Oct 4th, 2006, 05:10 PM
It is official. She told me about it earlier this week at the challenger in BCN but she didn't want me to make it this official yet. Looks like our Fed Cup Captain did the job for me :lol:

I was born the very same day as her in the same country and she's one of my faves, but that's life...she left home in Salamanca when she was just 14 to train in BCN. Time to have a full life away from tennis.

:sad: Thanks for the confirmation :sad:

Alvarillo
Oct 4th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Coming Back to 1999 ............... in Knokke-Heist .......

1st Round: MASL (ESP, 4) def Raluca Sandu (Rom) 6/1 6/1
2nd Round: MASL (ESP, 4) def Rita Kuti Kis (Hun) 7/6(6) 7/6(8)
Quarterfinals: MASL (ESP, 4) def Marta Marrero (ESP, Wc) 6/3 6/2
Semifinals: MASL (ESP, 4) def Barbara Rittner (Ger, 6) 6/3 6/4
FINAL: MASL (ESP, 4) def Denisa Chladkova (Cze) 6/7(2) 6/4 6/2 :bounce:

In that tournament seeds Nº1 and Nº2 were Ruxandra Dragomir and Silvija Talaja, in Qualys we could see Myskina, Petrova and Schiavone.

María also reached FINALS in WTA events in Madrid (2003, lost to Chanda Rubin in 3 sets, i was there !!!!!) and Bogotá (2004, lost to Pennetta).
She won 9 ITF singles titles and 1 ITF Doubles title.

ITF SINGLES
2002 - ITF/Ciudad Juarez-MEX, ITF/San Luis Potosi-MEX
2000 - ITF/Oporto-POR
1998 - ITF/Bratislava-SVK, ITF/Bordeaux-FRA
1997 - ITF/Redbridge-GBR, ITF/Athens 1-GRE
1994 - ITF/Caceres-ESP
1993 - ITF/Tortosa-ESP

ITF DOUBLE TITLE
2005 - ITF Barcelona (w/Dominguez-Lino)

Sanchez-Lorenzo also played for Spain in team competitions, was member of the Spanish Fed Cup team in 1995, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006.
Also had the opportunity to play the Athens 2004 Olympic Games :worship:

.Andrew.
Oct 4th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Coming Back to 1999 ............... in Knokke-Heist .......

1st Round: MASL (ESP, 4) def Raluca Sandu (Rom) 6/1 6/1
2nd Round: MASL (ESP, 4) def Rita Kuti Kis (Hun) 7/6(6) 7/6(8)
Quarterfinals: MASL (ESP, 4) def Marta Marrero (ESP, Wc) 6/3 6/2
Semifinals: MASL (ESP, 4) def Barbara Rittner (Ger, 6) 6/3 6/4
FINAL: MASL (ESP, 4) def Denisa Chladkova (Cze) 6/7(2) 6/4 6/2 :bounce:

In that tournament seeds Nº1 and Nº2 were Ruxandra Dragomir and Silvija Talaja, in Qualys we could see Myskina, Petrova and Schiavone.

María also reached FINALS in WTA events in Madrid (2003, lost to Chanda Rubin in 3 sets, i was there !!!!!) and Bogotá (2004, lost to Pennetta).
She won 9 ITF singles titles and 1 ITF Doubles title.

ITF SINGLES
2002 - ITF/Ciudad Juarez-MEX, ITF/San Luis Potosi-MEX
2000 - ITF/Oporto-POR
1998 - ITF/Bratislava-SVK, ITF/Bordeaux-FRA
1997 - ITF/Redbridge-GBR, ITF/Athens 1-GRE
1994 - ITF/Caceres-ESP
1993 - ITF/Tortosa-ESP

ITF DOUBLE TITLE
2005 - ITF Barcelona (w/Dominguez-Lino)

Sanchez-Lorenzo also played for Spain in team competitions, was member of the Spanish Fed Cup team in 1995, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006.
Also had the opportunity to play the Athens 2004 Olympic Games :worship:
Nice accomplishments!!! At least she won a WTA Tour Title. Enjoy retirement, Maria Sanchez Lorenzo :sad: :wavey:

AJZ.
Oct 4th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Maria SL :(

thiaela
Oct 4th, 2006, 06:20 PM
We gonna miss her.

Uranus
Oct 4th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Good luck for the future MASL, you'll be missed

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Oct 4th, 2006, 06:28 PM
One of the most beautiful tennisplayer retires? Really sad.
It's always nice to see her play.

propi
Oct 4th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Ugh, Toña... Spanish tennis gets a bit darker without your sparkling presence on court :sad:

She was the nicest player I've ever meet :worship: not that I've met a lot though :o

-sugi-
Oct 4th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Maria :sad: I always have liked Maria, she was always my second favourite Spaniard behind Anabel... :sad:

janko
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:18 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad:

[.Raisin.]
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:29 PM
MASL. :sobbing: :sobbing: I loved her. :sad: :sad:

galadriel
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Maria :sad:

C.MARTINEZ
Oct 4th, 2006, 09:11 PM
:sad: :sad:

Nunca te olvidaremos :hug:

Alberto
Oct 5th, 2006, 11:50 AM
It´s nice to see how many people liked her! :D

-Makiri-
Oct 5th, 2006, 11:51 AM

Maria :bigcry:

~Eclipsed~
Oct 5th, 2006, 04:34 PM
I never really seen her play...but it's still sad when someone retires.

I've always loved her name...MARIA ANTONIA SANCHEZ LORENZO...rolls off your tongue smoothly. :wavey:

Vamos
Oct 7th, 2006, 08:02 AM
María we will miss you, tennis will never be the same without you.
It is so sad that your sciatica got so bad in the year you started so well.

You were so happy that you could even play a lot of double matches because you didn't have any injury anymore. Third round AO, SF Bogota, a FedCup round win, and a good Roma tournament.
In doubles SF in Bogota and Acapulco and even a FR in Estoril.
You had a nice year, untill your back hurts again.

I was happy to see and meet you in Berlin. There you signed a lot of photos for your fans. If there are people who want one of those photos please pm me, or email me at tennisfan1999@hotmail.com

María will now do some pr work for her sponsors.

We wish you all the best María, and I hope your back gets painless one time.....

Thanks for all the nice moments you gave us,

Your webmaster,
Gerrit

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Oct 7th, 2006, 08:57 AM
seeya girl

Vut
Oct 7th, 2006, 11:00 AM
that sad!

Vamos
Oct 7th, 2006, 12:50 PM
I just got a telephone call from María!

She decided to end her tennis career because of her sciatica.
She can't run and play tennis at this time, that is way her ranking it so low at this time. and if it is possible to come back, it should be in qualies and ITF Tournaments, and after a long time thinking, María decided to stop.

She will be at the Spanish Clubmatches and the Spanish Masters at the end of the year. But if she will play, she don't know.
For sure we will not see her playing at WTA or ITF tournaments anymore.

María is happy now the decision is made. She will bring a lot of time with her family and friends back in Salamanca and lucky enough her sciatica doesn't border her in daily live!

SpikeyAidanm
Oct 7th, 2006, 12:56 PM
good luck :wavey:

Elenarulez
Oct 7th, 2006, 01:00 PM
:(

CooCooCachoo
Oct 7th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the info Gerrit.

All the best to MASL.

Vamos
Oct 10th, 2006, 07:49 PM

maria

enjoy life post tennis :wavey:

That is when I started to be a fan :)

Vamos
Oct 10th, 2006, 07:50 PM
i will also remember her title in knokke heist 1999, and her run to the semis of tier 2 in hamburg 1997 thrashing conchita martinez in the quarters

i also liked her name :p

thanks for the fond memories maria :)

I remember that to, I was in Knokke.

Nice words.

Vamos
Oct 10th, 2006, 07:55 PM

Nice words too, thanks.
Guess a lot of people will miss her, and yes the Captain did speak too early......

Vamos
Oct 10th, 2006, 07:59 PM
It´s nice to see how many people liked her! :D

That is what I wanne say, thank you all!

andrewbroad
Oct 12th, 2006, 01:21 AM
María Sánchez Lorenzo, the sexy Spanish Selesian, recently announced her retirement from professional tennis at the age of 28 due to sciatica (aka low-back injury). :sad:

"I decided to end my tennis career at the WTA tour. At this time I can't run and play tennis. If I ever recover my rankings will be too low to play in the main draws. After thinking a long time, I decided to stop and begin something different."

From http://home.planet.nl/~dijkslag.gerrit/ (http://home.planet.nl/~dijkslag.gerrit/)
>>>
After she also withdrew from her hometown ITF Barcelona tournament María decided to stop her tennis career. After 15 years of being a tennispro María's body doesn't allow her to play anymore. She beat a lot of high ranked players in those years, but unfortunately she couldn't beat sciatica.

María is happy now the decision is made. She will bring a lot of time with her friends and family back in Salamanca and lucky enough her sciatica doesn't hurt her in daily life.
<<<

I first saw María play (and discovered that she was a Selesian) when she played Monica Seles in the first round of Wimbledon 1998. Her backhand was an orthodox two-handed backhand, but for her forehand, she would switch her hands around to hit what was, in effect, a left-handed two-handed backhand. In this she differed from Monica and Marion Bartoli, who play their two-handed forehands cross-handed.

María's only WTA singles-title came at Knokke-Heist 1999, where she beat Denisa Chládková in the final. Her best-ever Grand Slam was the Australian Open 1999, where she thrashed Jana Novotná 6-3 6-0 to reach the fourth round. Her highest-ever singles-ranking was #33 (in 2004).

The last tournament of her career was the US Open 2006, where she lost in the first round to 24th seed Li,Na 4-6 6-3 6-0.

María finished her career as a member of my demi-fanship, i.e. my second tier of favourite players:

My Eternal Fanship:
1. Monica Seles
2. Maria Sharapova
3. Daniela Hantuchová
4. Jelena Dokic
5. Iva Majoli (retired)
6. Karina Habšudová (retired)
7. Iroda Tulyaganova
8. Vera Zvonarëva
9. Nicole Vaidišová

My casual demi-fanship:
10. Anna Chakvetadze
11. Tatiana Golovin
12. Maria Kirilenko
13. Sania Mirza
14. Ana Ivanovic
15. Karolina Šprem
16. Gisela Dulko
17. Magdaléna Rybáriková
18. María Sánchez Lorenzo

Unlike my Eternal Fanship, my demi-fanship does not persist after retirement, so I hereby transfer her to the category known as "Other nice players (retired)":

María Sánchez Lorenzo
Amanda Coetzer
Anke Huber
Jana Novotná
Dominique van Roost (née Monami)
Magdalena Maleeva
Katerina Maleeva
Manuela Maleeva-Fragnière
Sabine Appelmans
Barbara Schett
Ruxandra Dragomir
Kimiko Date
Elena Makarova
Anne-Gaëlle Sidot
Jana Kandarr
Silvia Farina Elia
Corina Morariu
Lisa McShea
Anousjka van Exel

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/)
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/)
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/seles/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/seles/)
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/seles/selesians.html (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/seles/selesians.html)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/selesians/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/selesians/)

Drake1980
Oct 12th, 2006, 01:22 AM
I'm happy I saw her play live in Miami in 2003(even though she beat Pelletier) and at Eastbourne 2004

Alberto
Oct 12th, 2006, 04:16 AM
That is when I started to be a fan :)

me too :sad:

Vamos
Oct 12th, 2006, 11:15 AM
me too :sad:

I guess we both still are fans! :)

Vamos
Oct 12th, 2006, 09:43 PM
I'm happy I saw her play live in Miami in 2003(even though she beat Pelletier) and at Eastbourne 2004

Did you take any pictures there? ;)

Vamos
Oct 12th, 2006, 09:46 PM
[QUOTE=andrewbroad]
Unlike my Eternal Fanship, my demi-fanship does not persist after retirement, so I hereby transfer her to the category known as "Other nice players (retired)":

[QUOTE]

will never transfer María to another list

I will try to update her website till the end of the year, still have some photos to put on it. And maybe some latest news about her.

So nice to see how many people look at her website these days!
If there are some people who like to get an signed photo, I still have some.....
PM me, or mail to tennisfan1999@hotmail.com

Vamos María! :)

New_balls_please
Oct 12th, 2006, 09:49 PM

crazillo
Oct 12th, 2006, 09:50 PM

Vamos
Nov 11th, 2006, 05:35 PM
María played for her team RCT Barcelona in the final of the Spanish Clubmatches against Cabeza. After having problems in the first set, lack of playing matches, María fight back in the second. The third set was a real thriller, with María as the winner after a tie-break! RTC Barcelona won the final against CT Barcino. So, in one of her last matches María became Clubchampion again.

Vamos María! :)