PDA

View Full Version : Was Monica More like...

supergrunt
Oct 3rd, 2006, 11:22 PM
I'm not old like a lot of people on this board and I started watching tennis later so I am not particularly a fan Monica Seles. I know that she played power tennis though and grunted loudly. My question is, was Monica more like Serena or Sharapova or Venus? :)

Just Justine
Oct 3rd, 2006, 11:31 PM
I'm not old like a lot of people on this board and I started watching tennis later so I am not particularly a fan Monica Seles. I know that she played power tennis though and grunted loudly. My question is, was Monica more like Serena or Sharapova or Venus? :)

Monica's a cross between Sharapova and Serena.

Shonami Slam
Oct 3rd, 2006, 11:40 PM
well, technically hse came before.
she's also not much like any of them - considering anyone playing tennis can be said to have simularity to monica these days

RJWCapriati
Oct 3rd, 2006, 11:40 PM
I would say Venus

Just Justine
Oct 3rd, 2006, 11:46 PM
The reason she's a cross between Serena and Sharapova is because she grunts like Maria, but hits like Serena. Her moving is intermediate between the two, or at least it was in her heyday. She moved worse than Serena but better than Maria.

Rollo
Oct 4th, 2006, 12:29 AM
This sounds like a cliche, but IMO Monica really was unique-both in playing style and personality.

No one before or since has had success with two hands off BOTH sides. I agree with Just Justine about her movement-but Monica's anticipation was better than Serena or Maria's IMO.

Monica was steadier than any of them too-which is why she won 3 straight French opens.

Serena and Maria have killer serves-something Monica never had in her prime, which goes a long way towards understanding why Seles never won Wimbledon while they have.

On the court she wasn't intimidating in an in your face way-but she never gave off vibes of desperation either.

Tennis Fool
Oct 4th, 2006, 12:34 AM
I haven't see Ana Ivanovic play, but I hear she's a poor man's Monica?

Off topic, I hate to go back to the Steffi/Monica debate, but on further thought, I think this two would have around the same number of Slams (17) if it weren't for the stabbing. There would be endless debate about who was better, but Martina Nav would have ended on top anyway.

Sund7101
Oct 4th, 2006, 12:43 AM
This sounds like a cliche, but IMO Monica really was unique-both in playing style and personality.

No one before or since has had success with two hands off BOTH sides. I agree with Just Justine about her movement-but Monica's anticipation was better than Serena or Maria's IMO.

Monica was steadier than any of them too-which is why she won 3 straight French opens.

Serena and Maria have killer serves-something Monica never had in her prime, which goes a long way towards understanding why Seles never won Wimbledon while they have.

On the court she wasn't intimidating in an in your face way-but she never gave off vibes of desperation either.
Well Said.

No one today plays the same style as Monica. She had one of the best returns I'd ever scene and was a fighter. She never gave up and she was always ready to smack a powerful two-handed blow right up your throat.

She was one of the original power players. And she always went for the lines.

IMO she would have been the best player ever if it weren't for the stabbing. Nonetheless, she was an outstanding player and one of the best the game has ever scene.

Hingiswinsthis
Oct 4th, 2006, 01:03 AM
I don't think there is a female tennis player today that plays like Monica Seles. She was one of a kind, and you can run out of positive adjectives in describing her game in her prime. instead of a female tennis player, she most likely resembles Rafael Nadal.

Both are lefty, both don't have over powering serves but placed well, both grunt loudly, both are ferocious, never gives up, both attack whenever given the opportunity...and although Seles hit a more flatter ball, on clay like Nadal she could hit with a lot of spin and looping shots...that's why she won RG 3 straight times.

WhatTheDeuce
Oct 4th, 2006, 01:37 AM
Go download some Monica material and make that decision yourself.

Truth is, she's Monica. Not Venus. Not Serena. Not Maria.

PamShriver
Oct 4th, 2006, 01:40 AM
Seles hit some amazing angles and had a good drop shot too, which is why it is hard to compare her to Maria or Serena or any current player. At the time she wasn't considered a player with a lot of variety in her game, but now she would be, which says more about the game today than about Monica Seles.

.Andrew.
Oct 4th, 2006, 01:44 AM
Monica! :hearts: Yeah I agree with the last three posters on what they had to say about Monica. Well said! :worship: :D

MisterQ
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:01 AM
Monica took the ball astonishingly early. In this sense I suppose she is like Hingis, but of course their games have little else in common. :lol: Monica could absolutely crush the ball, but when put on the defense she wasn't averse to hitting a high loopy shot and giving herself time to get back in position. Her court sense in this sense is underrated.

She was also remarkably consistent, considering how hard she hit that ball and how close she aimed for the lines.

She really was one of a kind.

MisterQ
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:10 AM
Here's a classic point which sums up Monica's playing style pretty well! (great work by steffi too)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZPiRmlp-Zjw

faboozadoo15
Oct 4th, 2006, 05:19 AM
monica is monica. she's not venus, serena, or sharapova.
sharapova is probably most like her though....

monica took the ball incredibly early. her anticipation was the best tennis has ever seen. she wasn't an athletic mover, but she tracked down a lot of balls because she read the plays well. her deception is also better than perhaps eny woman who's ever played tennis. it was incredibly hard to read where monica was going to hit the ball with her two handed strokes. if vintage monica played nowadays game, we'd say she had "variety". with the same stroke preparation, she could pull a mind blowing short crosscourt angle or a down the line flat ball. she had the greatest return of serve of all time. this is due to her read, her intensity, and her angles. monica had such an incredible understanding of the geometry of a tennis court, her passing shots when pulled wide or forward were sublime. i don't think i can stress her angles enough. her opponents always did more running than she did. monica also made very few unforced errors. her hard-hitting consistency was mind blowing. this made her nearly impossible to beat on slowcourts.

Orion
Oct 4th, 2006, 05:29 AM
She had better angles off of her groundstrokes than any of them, a worse serve than any them, middling movement, and much better consistency. She could actually sustain a rally.