PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova: I'm ready to play Fed Cup

AnnaK_4ever
Oct 3rd, 2006, 11:18 PM
http://www.sport-express.ru/art.shtml?128443
(in Russian)

a couple of quotes:

"I'm ready to play for Russia at Fed Cup next year."
"I have always said I delayed my Fed Cup debut only because I wasn't ready physically. I felt I just couldn't add even two matches in my schedule. But now I feel fine and when I found that Russians would host Spain in Moscow I decided I definetely wanna play this tie."

"- Is it 100%?
- Of course if I stay healthy. And if the team needs me. Then, yes, I promise. But I want to clarify one thing: my decision concerns only Fed Cup QF (Russia-Spain). The semifinal to be played after Wimbledon and I don't think I will be able to play."

"There were no doubts whether I would play for Russia or not. The only question was "When?" My body was preventing me from playing. I kept growing, getting injured. But now I feel I'm stronger than year or two years ago".

Wayn77
Oct 3rd, 2006, 11:22 PM
that should be some tie v Spain. Would Maria make a good captain?

pierce0415
Oct 3rd, 2006, 11:23 PM
great that she will play

bellascarlett
Oct 3rd, 2006, 11:24 PM
I KNEW IT!!!! :bounce: :woohoo: :banana:

Yay Masha! Good decision! Now be sure to show up!

goldenlox would be heartbroken...:aparty:

blumaroo
Oct 3rd, 2006, 11:26 PM
Russia doesn't need her for Spain though.
Semifinals is a different story.

bellascarlett
Oct 3rd, 2006, 11:29 PM
Russia doesn't need her for Spain though.
Semifinals is a different story.

What some don't get is that Maria obviously wants to make sure she does well in her Fed Cup debut. It was a matter of picking the best tie to strut her stuff the first time she represents Russia. People expect her to win and she doesn't want to embarrass herself. At least this was how I always saw it.

The_Pov
Oct 3rd, 2006, 11:38 PM
Yay that'll shut up the haters for now.

I'm so glad that she'll be able to represent her homeland.

Dan23
Oct 4th, 2006, 12:10 AM
no surprises here :hehehe:
as Maria said it was just a matter of when

the cat
Oct 4th, 2006, 12:10 AM
That's good news. I knew it would happen. Where is Goldenlox? The good thing about this for Masha is that she doesn't have to carry the Russian team all by herself. All Russia really needs from Masha next year is to play 1 singles match each Fed Cup Tie and let Dementieva and Kuznetsova play the other Fed Cup singles matches. But I don't like Masha saying she won't be able to play the Fed Cup Tie after Wimbledon. :( She should still play and play only 1 singles match if necessary. Masha only played 2 warmup tournaments to the U.S. Open this year so playing Fed Cup after Wimbledon next year should still give her time to rest up for the hardcourt season.

pierce0415
Oct 4th, 2006, 12:12 AM
Maria may have shot herself in the foot by saying she won't play in the tie after W

anyway, I think she will be joined by Dementieva, Kirilenko and Bovina in the tie against Spain

then maybe Kuznetsova will replace her in the SF tie

racketspeed
Oct 4th, 2006, 12:13 AM
she should dedicate herself to playing more than just the opening tie.
Im sure they will need her more in the semis/finals.

patricktav2003
Oct 4th, 2006, 12:31 AM
she is preparing herself for playing at the olympics!!! :):)

myxomatosis
Oct 4th, 2006, 12:39 AM
Great news! :)

bellascarlett
Oct 4th, 2006, 12:45 AM
That's good news. I knew it would happen. Where is Goldenlox? The good thing about this for Masha is that she doesn't have to carry the Russian team all by herself. All Russia really needs from Masha next year is to play 1 singles match each Fed Cup Tie and let Dementieva and Kuznetsova play the other Fed Cup singles matches. But I don't like Masha saying she won't be able to play the Fed Cup Tie after Wimbledon. :( She should still play and play only 1 singles match if necessary. Masha only played 2 warmup tournaments to the U.S. Open this year so playing Fed Cup after Wimbledon next year should still give her time to rest up for the hardcourt season.

:lol: Yeah you never know...she might get the hang of playing Fed cup and return for the semis. The way the draw will be played out, Russia (given they get through) will play either Belgium or USA. Belgium at home and USA away. And they might need her for either ties. But like I said, this Spain tie is more about Maria making her debut. She'll slowly incorporate herself into the team competition part of it when she starts playing imo.

SJW
Oct 4th, 2006, 01:44 AM
Of course she is...next stop, Beijing ;)
Davai Ruskis :banana:

ZeroSOFInfinity
Oct 4th, 2006, 01:54 AM
OK... now we all know the reason WHY Myskina decided not to play in the Fed Cup anymore :lol:

fufuqifuqishahah
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:10 AM
OK... now we all know the reason WHY Myskina decided not to play in the Fed Cup anymore :lol:

>_< :tape:

P_Fer
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:21 AM
Yes! great news

alelysafina
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:22 AM
I wouldn't let her on the squad if I were Tarpi. Yes, she's finally going to play but we all know she's not going to do it for love of country, she's doing it just so she can get her Olympic Gold, so she can have everything a real champion has. And I for one would rather her not play if she's not going to do it for the right reasons and represent Russia for the love of Mother Russia, not for some gold dangling around her neck.

Dan23
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:36 AM
I wouldn't let her on the squad if I were Tarpi. Yes, she's finally going to play but we all know she's not going to do it for love of country, she's doing it just so she can get her Olympic Gold, so she can have everything a real champion has. And I for one would rather her not play if she's not going to do it for the right reasons and represent Russia for the love of Mother Russia, not for some gold dangling around her neck.
If Maria never played again after next year then you may have a case but I doubt that will happen

alelysafina
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:41 AM
If Maria never played again after next year then you may have a case but I doubt that will happen

If Maria could play in the Olympics and not play fed cup, I wouldn't doubt that she would never even consider it. She'd always say that she was too tired, or that she felt the time wasn't right, she played too many tounaments, she's injured, etc.

Wayn77
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:43 AM
How does Mr Sharapova get on with the tough Russian coach? :tape:

densuprun
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:51 AM

Yeah, Mother Russia really doesn't need Olympic gold medal. No, not at all. Because Olympic gold is just for selfish individual players, not for the country. :rolleyes:

Dan23
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:57 AM
If Maria could play in the Olympics and not play fed cup, I wouldn't doubt that she would never even consider it. She'd always say that she was too tired, or that she felt the time wasn't right, she played too many tounaments, she's injured, etc.
I think you'll find she'll be a more frequent player in Fed Cup now thats she getting towards her best physical shape....but with some people she'll always be damned if she does play and damned if she doesnt

alelysafina
Oct 4th, 2006, 03:08 AM
Yeah, Mother Russia really doesn't need Olympic gold medal. No, not at all. Because Olympic gold is just for selfish individual players, not for the country. :rolleyes:

For her, it would just be a bonus.

Maria Croft
Oct 4th, 2006, 06:59 AM
I knew she would play next year :yeah:

AnnaK_4ever
Oct 4th, 2006, 07:23 AM
The only reason she's gonna play against Spain is to become available for Olympics. She will play one match in Moscow and one more match in the first round of Fed Cup 2008.
She doesn't care about winning Fed Cup obviously. The other side, she clearly wants to win Olympics. And as long as she represents Russia I'm Ok with her decision.

Maria Croft
Oct 4th, 2006, 07:29 AM
I don't know why people think it's so ''obvious'' she doesn't wanna win the Fed Cup :shrug:

What's obvious is that she wants to play the Olympics in two years, but that doesn't mean she doesn't want to win the Fed Cup at one point in her career.

myxomatosis
Oct 4th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Claiming Maria is just playing Fed Cup so she can get to the Olympics is just pointless speculation at this point. If she doesn't play Fed Cup again after 2007, then okay, her motives are clear. But it's not fair to jump all over a player for something that you think might happen in the future...

itzhak
Oct 4th, 2006, 07:43 AM
She confirmed her performance in the fed cup at her website:

http://www.mariasharapova.com/defaultflash.sps

AnnaK_4ever
Oct 4th, 2006, 07:43 AM
If Sharapova wanted to win Fed Cup she would play all year long (i.e. quarterfinal, semifinal and final after USO) like Myskina and Dementieva did. But she said she wouldn't play semifinal. And do you beleive she will ever play post-USO Fed Cup final? I don't.
But she plays Olympics. That's what matters.

Coffee&TV
Oct 4th, 2006, 09:57 AM
That's great!! :banana:

.david.
Oct 4th, 2006, 09:58 AM
YAY! Go Masha :worship:

Filippo-Nastya
Oct 4th, 2006, 10:02 AM
What a bitch! She wants to play only against Spain just to be eligible for the Olimpic games in 2008. I agree 100% with goldenlox.
What does it mean "The semifinal to be played after Wimbledon and I don't think I will be able to play."??? Does she loves Russia or not? I wish her to lose in the first round next year at Wimby.
Nastya and Lena D. would never say something like that.
I hope this bitch won't steal a place at Beijing 2008 to another Russian. She is not worthy to represent her country at the Olimpics.

The_Pov
Oct 4th, 2006, 10:04 AM
What a bitch! She wants to play only against Spain just to be eligible for the Olimpic games in 2008. I agree 100% with goldenlox.
What does it mean "The semifinal to be played after Wimbledon and I don't think I will be able to play."??? Does she loves Russia or not? I wish her to lose in the first round next year at Wimby.
I hope this bitch won't steal a place at Beijing 2008 to another Russian. She is not worthy to represent her country at the Olimpics.

Not worthy :rolls: She's Russia's number 1 player, the only Russian to have been Number 1 in the world, The only multiple Slam winning Russian.

You're just upset that Myskina probably won't have a place on the Olympic Team.

AnnaK_4ever
Oct 4th, 2006, 10:21 AM

:weirdo:

Sharapova is our best chance to win Gold at the Olympics. It has nothing to do with whether she loves Russia or not. Russia gave her nothing. NOTHING. Still she is Russian citizen. It's her right to represent the country where she was born. Nobody can take it fom her. And if she wants to play that's cool.

Serge007
Oct 4th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Here strange people... Henin has tried to play after UO. Everyone remember to what it has resulted? Belgium has lost, Justine has refused tournaments up to the end of year.

The_Pov
Oct 4th, 2006, 10:36 AM
People complaining about Maria announcing she will not play the semis, at least she's being straight with the fans and laying all her cards on the table so we know what to expect.

saki
Oct 4th, 2006, 11:10 AM
She probably is playing in order to play the Olympics... for Russia. The Olympics is a much bigger deal for Russia than Fed Cup.

Andy.
Oct 4th, 2006, 11:33 AM
That is good news.

Andy.
Oct 4th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Sounds like bitterness to me :rolleyes: And big deal if he is playing just to play Olympics, tennis is an individual sport all about personal persuite for greatness and glory, you represent yourself, fed cup is a very minor part of the game. That being said it will be nice to see her in a team situation.

LefandePatty
Oct 4th, 2006, 11:39 AM
LOL

And one week before the tie... "Maria Sharapova withdraws because of an ****** injury..."

:o

AnnaK_4ever
Oct 4th, 2006, 11:43 AM
LOL

And one week before the tie... "Maria Sharapova withdraws because of an ****** injury..."

:o

And that comes from the fan of "I always play for my country" Schnyder?
:lol:

LefandePatty
Oct 4th, 2006, 11:50 AM
And that comes from the fan of "I always play for my country" Schnyder?

Patty has played 40 matchs for her country, okay?

And how many matchs did Maria play.. ??? :rolleyes:

~Poseidon~
Oct 4th, 2006, 11:55 AM
One-girl-team?

perseus2006
Oct 4th, 2006, 11:56 AM
After winning RG and Wimbledon, Pova won't be in good shape to play the Fed Cup Semi's! Reasonable people understand this situation.

Neptune
Oct 4th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Maria just wants to play when she wants! :eek: It's not her to decide!I mean,when you're a fed cup player,and you are named,you would play.But because it's only Maria,she decides when she wants to play.If I was the coach,I would not have her in the team.Either she play all the year and decide to be ready at 100% to help her country or she doesn't play at all.
It is sad for the Russian team. Maria decides to play when she wants, but is not her to choose. And for which reasons, to provide to be nominated to the Olympic Games while Dementieva and others play all the year and give the victory to their team. When one player decide to play in Fed Cup, she is named,and then she play,it's not the “I come when I want”. because plenty of others players are ready to play and the whims of a tennis player does not interest anybody.Who she tinks she is? :rolleyes: I less like her minute after minute.

The_Pov
Oct 4th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Maria just wants to play when she wants! :eek: It's not her to decide!I mean,when you're a fed cup player,and you are named,you would play.But because it's only Maria,she decides when she wants to play.If I was the coach,I would not have her in the team.Either she play all the year and decide to be ready at 100% to help her country or she doesn't play at all.
It is sad for the Russian team. Maria decides to play when she wants, but is not her to choose. And for which reasons, to provide to be nominated to the Olympic Games while Dementieva and others play all the year and give the victory to their team. When one player decide to play in Fed Cup, she is named,and then she play,it's not the “I come when I want”. because plenty of others players are ready to play and the whims of a tennis player does not interest anybody.Who she tinks she is? :rolleyes: I less like her minute after minute.

She's Russia's number 1 player, Russia's only multiple Slam winner, Russia only current Slam holder, and Russia's only former world number 1.

AnnaK_4ever
Oct 4th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Patty has played 40 matchs for her country, okay?

And how many matchs did Maria play.. ??? :rolleyes:

Schnyder is 26 (or 27?) y.o. Sharapova is 19 y.o. Incorrect comparison.
And btw, when was the last time Schnyder played Fed Cup?

bellascarlett
Oct 4th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Sharapova is our best chance to win Gold at the Olympics. It has nothing to do with whether she loves Russia or not. Russia gave her nothing. NOTHING. Still she is Russian citizen. It's her right to represent the country where she was born. Nobody can take it fom her. And if she wants to play that's cool.

Thank god, someone with sense...very true words...:worship:

People aren't being realistic enough and being way way way oversentimental. So the rules are that she has to make herself available for Fed cup to be eligible for the Olympics. She wants to play the Olympics and thus is making herself available to play for Russia in Fed Cup. There is simply nothing wrong with this. This is the way the rules have been laid. She is just going by them.

It's Tarpischev's decision to take her in or not. But bottom line - Maria is making herself available. People...my god...so dramatic.

In any case, I don't think Russia or the Russian tennis federation to be more specific will turn down an opportunity for their number one player and their only multiple-slam winning female player to represent them at the Olympics. As AnnaK_4ever has said, she is their best chance to win gold.

LefandePatty
Oct 4th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Schnyder is 26 (or 27?) y.o. Sharapova is 19 y.o. Incorrect comparison.
And btw, when was the last time Schnyder played Fed Cup?

Her last match was in 2004. And Patty started playing Fedcup when she was only 17..

bellascarlett
Oct 4th, 2006, 12:21 PM
When one player decide to play in Fed Cup, she is named,and then she play,it's not the “I come when I want”. because plenty of others players are ready to play and the whims of a tennis player does not interest anybody.Who she tinks she is? :rolleyes: I less like her minute after minute.
She's Maria Sharapova, damn it...:lol:

Neptune
Oct 4th, 2006, 12:22 PM
She's Maria Sharapova, damn it...:lol:
And what?

perseus2006
Oct 4th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Maria just wants to play when she wants! ... I less like her minute after minute.

That is exactly right: Pova retains the authority to decide when she plays tennis. After making deep runs and possibly winning at RG and Wimbledon she may not be in condition to play Fed Cup! She is too smart to allow a Fed Cup captain the authority to determine when she plays - she won't end up like JHH, whose Belgian captain overplayed her causing serious injury, seriously jeaprodizing her chance for the Year End WTA #1 and, quite possibly, costing her the opportunity to play in the YEC. Pova is a smart girl with a good team looking after her.

If you want to dislike Pova for that, go ahead and dislike her. If not for that, you would just find some other excuse to dislike her. It's not as if you have been kind to her or supportive of her in other threads!

Dan23
Oct 4th, 2006, 12:26 PM
And what?
thats all :wavey:

AnnaK_4ever
Oct 4th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Her last match was in 2004. And Patty started playing Fedcup when she was only 17..

Sorry, then. And kudos to Patty.
But Sharapova is still much younger than Schnyder. Let's see how frequently Masha will play Fed Cup during the next 4-5 years.

bellascarlett
Oct 4th, 2006, 12:35 PM
thats all :wavey:
:lol: :p

After making deep runs and possibly winning at RG and Wimbledon she may not be in condition to play Fed Cup! She is too smart to allow a Fed Cup captain the authority to determine when she plays - she won't end up like JHH, whose Belgian captain overplayed her causing serious injury, seriously jeaprodizing her chance for the Year End WTA #1 and, quite possibly, costing her the opportunity to play in the YEC. Pova is a smart girl with a good team looking after her.

oh perseus, i love u and all, but you honestly think she has a chance at winning RG? I don't think it's impossible (she'll probably make her deepest run yet next year) but to actually say it out loud is pretty funny...:)

Neptune
Oct 4th, 2006, 12:35 PM
That is exactly right: Pova retains the authority to decide when she plays tennis. After making deep runs and possibly winning at RG and Wimbledon she may not be in condition to play Fed Cup! She is too smart to allow a Fed Cup captain the authority to determine when she plays - she won't end up like JHH, whose Belgian captain overplayed her causing serious injury, seriously jeaprodizing her chance for the Year End WTA #1 and, quite possibly, costing her the opportunity to play in the YEC. Pova is a smart girl with a good team looking after her.

If you want to dislike Pova for that, go ahead and dislike her. If not for that, you would just find some other excuse to dislike her. It's not as if you have been kind to her or supportive of her in other threads!
You can't say what you want because all the crazy fan start to complain about you.I never understand that!Everybody can love the player they want.I never say anithing when my favorite player was insulting or critizicing and when one people say that she doesn't love her.
Maria is a smart girl???Really,I don't think she is smart when she is hitting the ball.You was talking about excuse,stop to create excuse like this.I saw her play some rallye at the Uso,and when the point was very long,she was running very good on the court.What smart mean for you?Say smart is just an excuse for the masha fan to excuse her when she loses but she wins,she is on fire.
However,I will say anything about player right now.Just say that they great,fabolous and humble.

AnnaK for ever,It's very interesting,thanks ;)

Maria Croft
Oct 4th, 2006, 12:37 PM
And what?

.....and you're a hater :p

LefandePatty
Oct 4th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Sorry, then. And kudos to Patty.
But Sharapova is still much younger than Schnyder. Let's see how frequently Masha will play Fed Cup during the next 4-5 years.

That's okay. I didn't want being mean towards Sharapova, but I really wonder if she will play..

We'll see. =)

Neptune
Oct 4th, 2006, 12:42 PM
.....and you're a hater :p
If you love to use this word.I just have my own opinion baout the Maria off court.But I never get bored about the Maria on court,she's one of the great player.The both are not incompatible but for the Masha fan,yes.That's very sad.

Apoorv
Oct 4th, 2006, 12:52 PM

If JHH had showed similar "smartness", people would have criticized her without limits. even before she said anything people started thinking she was opting out of finals and started criticizing at her. Life is not that fair for some. and i am not even a fan of JHH.

xan
Oct 4th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Funny how its largely the non-Russians (again), who are whingeing and moaning about Maria being on the Russian team. :rolleyes:

It's great news that Maria has finally got fit enough to be able to put herself forward for fed cup.

Mother_Marjorie
Oct 4th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Funny how its largely the non-Russians (again), who are whingeing and moaning about Maria being on the Russian team. :rolleyes:

It's great news that Maria has finally got fit enough to be able to put herself forward for fed cup.

It was only a matter of time after her growth spurt stopped that she would begin to strengthen her legs, quicken her footspeed, and minimize injuries.

Russia has a chance to win Fed Cup with her on the team, and they are a better country for it.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Oct 4th, 2006, 01:23 PM
What a bitch! She wants to play only against Spain just to be eligible for the Olimpic games in 2008.

Doesn't this sound VERY FAMILIAR??? You know... about a certain Belgian player... :lol:

By the way, who bloody cares if she wants to represent her country? If you have a hatred with her, take it somewhere else! :rolleyes:

Mother_Marjorie
Oct 4th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Doesn't this sound VERY FAMILIAR??? You know... about a certain Belgian player... :lol:

By the way, who bloody cares if she wants to represent her country? If you have a hatred with her, take it somewhere else! :rolleyes:

Yeah, the haters aren't very creative these days.

Shoulderpova
Oct 4th, 2006, 01:27 PM
5 pages and not a single post of goldenlox :eek: :lol:
she must be crying somewhere now :bigcry:

jazzfuzion
Oct 4th, 2006, 01:47 PM
what if the russian crowd cheers for her opponent instead...that woulld be really funnehh

thrust
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:01 PM
It is all about the Olympics. She is a total phony who couldn^t care less about Russia winning the Fed Cup. Why should she? She has lived outside Russia most of her young life.

goldenlox
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:07 PM
5 pages and not a single post of goldenlox :eek: :lol:
she must be crying somewhere now :bigcry::p
Everyone knew this would happen.
Sharapova is agreeing to play once (when she's not needed)
to be Olympic eligible.
She doesn't want to play Fed Cup. Never did, never will

AnnaK_4ever
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:10 PM
what if the russian crowd cheers for her opponent instead...that woulld be really funnehh

And what if someone who has never been to Russia won't make silly statements like this?
Playing indidvidual tournament is one thing and playing team competition is the other thing. The Crowd will be behind Masha, no doubt.

goldenlox
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:11 PM
I wouldn't let her on the squad if I were Tarpi. Yes, she's finally going to play but we all know she's not going to do it for love of country, she's doing it just so she can get her Olympic...Exactly.
It's like letting Mauresmo play Fed Cup for Russia.
Who needs her to beat Spain?

AnnaK_4ever
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:13 PM
:p
to be Olympic eligible.
She doesn't want to play Fed Cup. Never did, never will

Помяни черта к ночи... Да, голденлокс?

Dan23
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:13 PM
:p
to be Olympic eligible.
She doesn't want to play Fed Cup. Never did, never will:bigwave: GL
everyone knew it eh? this we will wait and see ;)

It is all about the Olympics. She is a total phony who couldn^t care less about Russia winning the Fed Cup. Why should she? She has lived outside Russia most of her young life.why would Maria care about the Olympics if she didnt care about representing her country??

goldenlox
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:20 PM
:bigwave: GL

why would Maria care about the Olympics if she didnt care about representing her country??Sharapova wants to play in the Olympics.
It's either the US or Russia.
It's not too late, Maria:kiss: , get Zina's # and call her

M2k
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:21 PM
well duh! this is the time when you have to play Fed Cup/Davis Cup for a possible Olympic spot. (I'm talking about those who never or rarely play for their country) I would say good for her :cool: It would be a real shame if Maria doesn't go to the Olympics. Plus who knows, she could fall in love with the Fed Cup format.;)

bellascarlett
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:21 PM
And what if someone who has never been to Russia won't make silly statements like this?
Playing indidvidual tournament is one thing and playing team competition is the other thing. The Crowd will be behind Masha, no doubt.

:lol: AnnaK...:hug:

bellascarlett
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Sharapova wants to play in the Olympics.
It's not too late, Maria:kiss: , get Zina's # and call her

Just give it up goldenlox...just give it up. :tape:

goldenlox
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:24 PM
well duh! this is the time when you have to play Fed Cup/Davis Cup for a possible Olympic spot. (I'm talking about those who never or rarely play for their country).;)Sharapova is still eligible for the US team.
Right near her home

Dan23
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Sharapova wants to play in the Olympics.
;)

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/3640/mariaiw1mi3.jpg

goldenlox
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Sharapova has been saying the same thing since2004.
This is nothing new.
She can still play for the US.
To play in the Olympics, she has to play Fed Cup.
I want her on the US team, where she belongs

the cat
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Goldenlox showed up. ;) You're swimming against the current honey. GL, Masha is staying Russian and if she's healthy she will play for the Russian national team starting in 2007. At some point you need to accept this fact and move on. How about starting today?

M2k
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Just give it up goldenlox...just give it up. :tape:

lol I'm sure she is very proud of where she comes from :cool:

Ryan
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:35 PM
This is nothing new.

Thank god no one gives a fuck what you think. :) Maybe you should meet her at the airport when she arrives and throw something at her, because that's about how mature you're acting now.

bellascarlett
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:36 PM
This is nothing new.

Wrong. The difference now is that she is officially making herself available for fed cup play...whether it's because of her Olympic goal or not, it is her right as a player playing under the Russian flag and her decision.

:baby: :baby: :baby:

goldenlox
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Lets be adults here.
This is a publicity stunt.
Sharapova is making a very rare trip to Russia, and everyone thinks she's an American.

So she gives an interview ( and it's the same BS she's been saying since 2004),
and now everyone in the Russian media will leave this alone.
But they shouldn't. They should ask Sharapova why she wouldn't play this year, saying no months in advance.

Like I said, this a publicity stunt by an American tennis player who loves publicity

jacobruiz
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Goldenlox showed up. ;) You're swimming against the current honey. GL, Masha is staying Russian and will play for the Russian national team starting in 2007 if she's healthy. At some point you need to accept this fact and move on. How about starting today?

Goldie appears to be the type who needs someone or something to hate.:shrug:

Maria is going to play Fed Cup - davai Masha!!:bounce: And win a medal for Russia in a couple years too, please!:D

goldenlox
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:41 PM
I don't hate anyone.
I believe in positive thinking.
And I'm positive Sharapova is an American
She's shown that non-stop for over 3 years, and from what Myskina said (she trained with Sharapova in 2002), Sharapova has shown she's an American for much longer that that

M2k
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Sharapova is still eligible for the US team.
Right near her home

...She is? :confused: I'll be very honest and say I'm not very informed about her situation...so she has "dual" then? :eek: who knew...lol but switching countries it's something that requires a lot of thinking, I can only see that happening if Russia doesn't give her an Olympic spot. Otherwise...

goldenlox
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:46 PM
...She is? :confused: I'll be very honest and say I'm not very informed about her situation...so she has "dual" then? :eek: who knew...lol but switching countries it's something that requires a lot of thinking, I can only see that happening if Russia doesn't give her an Olympic spot. Otherwise...Sharapova has never played Fed Cup or Hopman Cup, or anything else for Russia.
And she has been a US resident for 12 years.
She is 1 phone call to her agent from being a US citizen, and
eligible for US Fed Cup and the US Olympic team.

And like I already said in this thread, she didn't say anything new, same old BS

Dan23
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:50 PM
I don't hate anyone.
She's shown that non-stop for over 3 years, and from what Myskina said (she trained with Sharapova in 2002), Sharapova has shown she's an American for much longer that that
:tape: :tape:
your hole is getting deeper...you can be positive all you like but it wont change one thing about Maria being Russian :p
You should take Scott's advice or else maybe Ryans ;)

*JR*
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Gosh Goldy, with the exception of Masha's singles titles, a lot of what you say about her (really an American, loves publicity) would apply equally to someone else too, wouldn't it? :p

The_Pov
Sharapova has never played Fed Cup or Hopman Cup, or anything else for Russia.

And like I already said in this thread, she didn't say anything new, same old BS

Change the record you sad old bag :yawn:

Maria is playing for her homeland and there is nothing you can do about it.

Dan23

since you are incharge of nominating Maria's nationality maybe you could make the call for her :yeah:

goldenlox
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:52 PM
:tape: :tape:
your hole is getting deeper...;)I have until April, at the least.
This is just the beginning :tape:

M2k
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:56 PM

...but see the thing is that she doesn't have to...she can play for Russia and live in the USA at the same time. Why change citizenships whe she has the best of both worlds?

Dan23
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:57 PM
I have until April, at the least.
This is just the beginning :tape:
:help:

goldenlox
Oct 4th, 2006, 02:59 PM
...but see the thing is that she doesn't have to...she can play for Russia and live in the USA at the same time. Why change citizenships whe she has the best of both worlds?My only objection to what Sharapova is doing is that at the Olympics, there will be 5 US players and 3 Russian players.
The top 20 is loaded with Russian players who WANT to play Fed Cup,
who feel a connection with Russia.
Maria takes her birthday pics with US flags :rolleyes:

Dan23
Oct 4th, 2006, 03:02 PM
My only objection to what Sharapova is doing is that at the Olympics, there will be 5 US players and 3 Russian players.
The top 20 is loaded with Russian players who WANT to play Fed Cup,
who feel a connection with Russia.
Maria takes her birthday pics with US flags :rolleyes:
she also takes her tennis trophy pics with Russian flags ;)

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/3640/mariaiw1mi3.jpg

the cat
Oct 4th, 2006, 03:02 PM
GL, Maria wouldn't have been able to play Fed Cup for Russia this year in April because of her serious ankle injury that bothered her during the French Open and Wimbledon. If she's healthy next April she will play Fed Cup for Russia if Tarpischev adds her to the team. If he doesn't add her to the team that's okay. Masha has given notice she wants to play for Russia.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Oct 4th, 2006, 03:03 PM
This has escalated from a announcement to a civil war... :lol:

Pink Princess
Oct 4th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Yay Maria Sharapova!!!!!:dance:

jacobruiz
Oct 4th, 2006, 03:12 PM
I don't hate anyone.

Lots of people live in countries they weren't born in. And retain their citizenship. In fact, they usually become more well-rounded, more tolerant and open to different cultures and viewpoints, while keeping loyality and love for their country of birth.

You shouldn't try to put people in boxes, Goldy. Every person is different and this difference, this uniqueness, is actually a very GOOD thing.

goldenlox
Oct 4th, 2006, 03:12 PM
People act like I'm insulting Maria. I'm not.
She obviously loves living in the US, and she makes very few public appearances in Russia.
And it's also obvious that the best thing for tennis in the US, and (I believe) Russia, is to have Sharapova representing the country she loves.

That's not a knock on Sharapova.

the cat
Oct 4th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Good post Jacobruiz. It seems like GL is backtracking a bit. ;) And Goldenova, Masha loves 2 countries in Russia and America. But Masha only wants to represent just one country. Russia. :)

The_Pov
Oct 4th, 2006, 03:16 PM
People act like I'm insulting Maria. I'm not.
She obviously loves living in the US, and she makes very few public appearances in Russia.
And it's also obvious that the best thing for tennis in the US, and (I believe) Russia, is to have Sharapova representing the country she loves.

That's not a knock on Sharapova.

Best thing for Russia is to lose their best player :weirdo: what kind of twisted universe do you live in?

And what do you think of Dmitry Tursunov representing Russia?

the cat
Oct 4th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Good point about Tursunov, The_Pov. I've broached this subject with GL before but have never gotten a thorough answer from her if I recall correctly. Tursunov's being an Americanized Russian is simialr to Maria's. But the Russian national team welcomed Tursunov with open arms and he's won 2 huge Davis Cup matches for Russia this year. Masha can do the same next year for Russia in Fed Cup play. :D

The_Pov
Oct 4th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Good point about Tursunov, The_Pov. I've broached this subject with GL before but have never gotten a thorough answer from her if I recall correctly. Tursunov's being an Americanized Russian is simialr to Maria's. But the Russian national team welcomed Tursunov with open arms and he's won 2 huge Davis Cup matches for Russia this year. Masha can do the same next year for Russia in Fed Cup play. :D
Kournikova, Sharapova and Tursunov are all Americanised Russians yet Maria is the only attacked for this.

goldenlox
Oct 4th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Best thing for Russia is to lose their best player :weirdo: what kind of twisted universe do you live in?

And what do you think of Dmitry Tursunov representing Russia?Tursunov wanted to become a US citizen, they didn't accept him.
I think Sveta, Elena, Nadia are good players.
So are Nastya, Dinara, and Anna C.

I am pretty clear in what I want,
and non-Russian residents who blow off Fed Cup year after year, I don't want 'em.

Nothing against Sharapova, a very good player. But a US resident who is totally immersed in US culture, and makes very few appearances in Russia, should be representing the US.
I don't care how good a player she is

the cat
Oct 4th, 2006, 03:26 PM
It's really not fair to Maria. And I'm sure she's bothered by it when she's sees other Russian's living and training abroad like she does for whatever sport of career they are in.

goldenlox
Oct 4th, 2006, 03:30 PM
It seems like GL is backtracking a bit. ;) And Goldenova, Masha loves 2 countries in Russia and America. But Masha only wants to represent just one country. Russia. :)Not at all.
The weather is great, and I have a great day planned.
I'm not going to be online all day, explaining myself to Mashabators. :D

I've been very clear about every issue.
Tursunov wanted to be an American, and Russia would have won that tie without him.
Russia will do fine in fed Cup without Sharapova.
If she wouldn't make herself:smash: eligible against Justine and Kim, I don't want her against AMG and VPR

Maria Croft
Oct 4th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Lots of people live in countries they weren't born in. And retain their citizenship. In fact, they usually become more well-rounded, more tolerant and open to different cultures and viewpoints, while keeping loyality and love for their country of birth.

You shouldn't try to put people in boxes, Goldy. Every person is different and this difference, this uniqueness, is actually a very GOOD thing.

Very good post :yeah:

bellascarlett
Oct 4th, 2006, 04:08 PM

And what do you think of Dmitry Tursunov representing Russia?

And the worst thing about Dmitry (and I do love him) is that he applied to become a US citizen, thus it could be argued that he is only playing for Russia because he was denied US citizenship which obviously includes the opportunity to play for US. If someone is gonna criticize Maria and be all patriotic, my god, I think this is even worse. But look at Tursunov now, he was the hero both in the QFs and the SFs and will probably play a major part in the finals. As far as I know, Dmitry rarely made visits to Russia as well since moving to the US. It's only now for Russian tournaments and Davis Cup ties that he goes back home.

But no...it's all Maria's fault. :baby: And please does someone really know how much time Sveta and Nadia spend in Russia? Coz I doubt they beat Maria by much. They've trained and honed their games as well outside of their native country and grew to appreciate other cultures and also take them as their own but yeah let's just focus all our negative energies on Maria.

saki
Oct 4th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Sveta applied to be a Spanish citizen too.. Goldenlox conveniently ignores this too.

The fact is that not everyone is the same way about their nationality. Some people are very patriotic, others are less so, but that doesn't change the nationality that they chose. Maria chooses to be Russian. That's it.

RussiaTennis
Oct 4th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Can't believe some of these retards are saying Maria should play for USA. Thats like saying Serena should play for Russia.

Stupid, stupid people. i never thought some idiots could be so dumb

alelysafina
Oct 4th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Can't believe some of these retards are saying Maria should play for USA. Thats like saying Serena should play for Russia.

Has Serena lived most of her life and still live in Russia? No, totally useless comparison.

goldenlox
Oct 4th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Sveta applied to be a Spanish citizen too.. Goldenlox conveniently ignores this too. That's it.I know the story, when her parents opened a cycling academy near Barcelona, they brought Sveta to the tennis academy she is at now.
The coaches wanted Sveta to become a Spanish citizen

This is completely different from Sharapova's situation, where she NEVER has represented Russia, and in doing so remains eligible to play for her country of residence.

Sveta has not only played Fed Cup, she played Hopman Cup this year, and skipped the Tier I in Tokyo, where she was in a SF last year.
That's a commitment, giving up aTier I.

brent-o
Oct 4th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Yea, because all of a sudden she wants to represent her country. I don't buy it.

RenaSlam.
Oct 4th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Translation: I'm now ready to be unselfish and play for my country.

goldenlox
Oct 4th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Has Serena lived most of her life and still live in Russia? No, totally useless comparison.The mashabators have no argument.
Sharapova not only lives in the US, she has made 1 public appearance in Russia. That's in over 3 years!

Sharapova loves the US, and is immersed in US culture.
There is nothing wrong with that.

Blowing off Fed Cup for 2 years when you are the highest ranked player,
that's quite a statement Sharapova has been making -
with her actions. Which are different than her words

saki
Oct 4th, 2006, 04:27 PM
I know the story, when her parents opened a cycling academy near Barcelona, they brought Sveta to the tennis academy she is at now.

And she agreed to it and would have done so. That doesn't argue much Russian feeling.

adam_ads_n
Oct 4th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Good decision, but still to many "If's" in it

alelysafina
Oct 4th, 2006, 04:34 PM
And she agreed to it and would have done so. That doesn't argue much Russian feeling.
You did read the rest of the post right?

I know the story, when her parents opened a cycling academy near Barcelona, they brought Sveta to the tennis academy she is at now.

This is completely different from Sharapova's situation, where she NEVER has represented Russia, and in doing so remains eligible to play for her country of residence.

Sveta has not only played Fed Cup, she played Hopman Cup this year, and skipped the Tier I in Tokyo, where she was in a SF last year.

That's dedication and commitment to your country.

bellascarlett
Oct 4th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Sveta applied to be a Spanish citizen too.. Goldenlox conveniently ignores this too.

The fact is that not everyone is the same way about their nationality. Some people are very patriotic, others are less so, but that doesn't change the nationality that they chose. Maria chooses to be Russian. That's it.

Aha didn't know that...interesting....very interesting...:hehehe:

saki
Oct 4th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Fact remains that Sveta is the only female Russian player who actively wanted another nationality and, yet, Maria is the one who gets all the negative attention over it. It doesn't make sense.

Nationality means different things to different people, what matters is what they chose to have on their passport and, like it or not, Maria has made that choice.

bellascarlett
Oct 4th, 2006, 04:40 PM
You did read the rest of the post right?

while you're completely missing the point.

goldenlox
Oct 4th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Fact remains that Sveta is the only female Russian player who actively wanted another nationality and, yet, Maria is the one who gets all the negative attention over it. It doesn't make sense.

Nationality means different things to different people, what matters is what they chose to have on their passport and, like it or not, Maria has made that choice.Sveta was 16, and moved with her parents. She wasn't making her own decision
Sharpova's situation is totally different. She never plays for Russia, and still eligible for US teams.
100% different (not 360 degrees):lol:

I'm going out:drive: , so you goofs keep making stuff up about Sveta.
I'll answer tomorrow :banana:

TeaMMashA
Oct 4th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Sveta was 16, and moved with her parents. She wasn't making her own decision
Sharpova's situation is totally different. She never plays for Russia, and still eligible for US teams.
100% different (not 360 degrees):lol:

I'm going out:drive: , so you goofs keep making stuff up about Sveta.
I'll answer tomorrow :banana:

Oh rite i guess Maria had much of a choice at going to the States not even half the age Sveta moved!

goldenlox
Oct 4th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Oh rite i guess Maria had much of a choice at going to the States not even half that age(16)!I promise:angel: , this is my last post for many hours, in fact, all day.
It wasn't Sharapova's choice to move.

BUT, it was her choice to blow off going to Russia in the whole year after Wimbledon, to only make 1 public appearance in Russia, to never play for Russia, and stay US eligible.
All Sharapova's decisions. And none of them are wrong or right.
Just decisions any American would make :angel:

TeaMMashA
Oct 4th, 2006, 04:52 PM
I promise:angel: , this is my last post for many hours, in fact, all day.

BUT, it was her choice to blow off going to Russia in the whole year after Wimbledon, to only make 1 public appearance in Russia, to never play for Russia, and stay US eligible.

Stay eligable for America? lol!

Shes given an open invitation for the Russian team not American not both but the Russian team, get that through!

The key word is also Public ;)

Maria Croft
Oct 4th, 2006, 05:00 PM
I promise:angel: , this is my last post for many hours, in fact, all day.

She's playing Moscow next week and playing for Russia in the fed cup next year, I wonder how long you're gonna continue with this US crap.

saki
Oct 4th, 2006, 05:10 PM
16 is old enough to know what nationality you'd like to have. I knew I was British at 16 and didn't want another passport. I like Sveta, I don't care about her nationality but actively applying for a Spanish passport puts her in a different category to Maria who has never indicated any desire for a non-Russian passport.

Travelling on a Russian passport and having RUS after her name are not actions of an American. She's no Lena D but that doesn't mean that her decision to remain Russian should be constantly questioned.

TeaMMashA
Oct 4th, 2006, 05:11 PM
She's playing Moscow next week and playing for Russia in the fed cup next year, I wonder how long you're gonna continue with this US crap.

The fact of the matter is my friend, she could represent Russia at Fed Cup for her whole career and guide them to title upon title move to Russia settle down with a Russian man yet it will all be a publicity stunt in the eyes of GL, we should just let her get on with her nonsense and continue to give us a bit of humor and maybe just laugh in replies we will never change her opinion. Although i find it bemusing how Maria hasnt done that herself, seeing as GL thinks you become an instant American when someone puts an American flag on your cake (where you had no say in it whatsoever) i am pretty shocked she donest find Maria a hardcore Russian after playing under the Russian flag her whole Junior and Pro career and continously posing with a Russian flag where she has a say in it, but yet thinks she American for someone putting American flags on a cake, can anyone answer why that is?

franny
Oct 4th, 2006, 05:53 PM

Um, the gold medal is something Russia wants as well. Every athlete in the olympics are not representing themselves. They are representing their country. So if Maria only wants to get that gold medal, then Russia should not stop her because guess what, RUSSIA WANTS THAT GOLD MEDAL TOO!! Big surprise, yes the countries get the medal count, its all for bragging rights in Russia. If if Maria just wants to do it for herself, then Russia should all be for it cuz she is their best chance at a gold medal.

RussiaTennis
Oct 4th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Has Serena lived most of her life and still live in Russia? No, totally useless comparison.

At the end of the day facts are facts.

Maria is Russian and Serena is American.

Maria has as much right to play for America as Serena has to play for Russia.

the cat
Oct 4th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Abandon ship! Abandon ship! :eek: GL's yacht is taking in too much water and she split the scene for the rest of today. Wise move Goldenlox. ;) I hope you're either playing tennis or shopping. :tennis: :yeah:

RussiaTennis
Oct 4th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Goldenlox is a fake Russian/American, thats why he doesn't want a true Russian Maria to play for Russia

alelysafina
Oct 4th, 2006, 06:27 PM
At the end of the day facts are facts.

Maria is Russian and Serena is American.

Maria has as much right to play for America as Serena has to play for Russia.

Again, has Serena emersed herself in the Russian culture??? Has she lived in Russia for most of her life and is still living there??

Maria and Serena are two different people, with two differnt situations and to say that they are not only in the same boat, but interchangeable is idiotic on your part.

thiaela
Oct 4th, 2006, 06:27 PM
That's not true.
She says the same thing last year, and she plays NOOOOOOOOOO.
I don't believe her.

Edward.
Oct 4th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Great news!

morningglory
Oct 4th, 2006, 06:55 PM
goldenlox :cuckoo:
I don't understand why he/she wouldn't want a player of Maria's caliber on the Russian team... I mean look at FIFA world cup... a lot of imported players and the fans embrace them cuz some of them are downright talented and bring the team to victory...

And Maria is legally a Russian for goodness's sakes... I think GL should be glad she's claiming she's Russian... I'm sure American tennis would LOVE to have her play on THEIR Fed cup team already... so be grateful GL

thiaela
Oct 4th, 2006, 06:58 PM
I remember that Anastacia Myskina says that Maria play she didn't.

Uranus
Oct 4th, 2006, 07:02 PM
"I'm ready to play for Russia at Fed Cup next year."
"I have always said I delayed my Fed Cup debut only because I wasn't ready physically. I felt I just couldn't add even two matches in my schedule. But now I feel fine and when I found that Russians would host Spain in Moscow I decided I definetely wanna play this tie."

In other words "I wanna be at the Olympics"
:wavey:

RussiaTennis
Oct 4th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Again, has Serena emersed herself in the Russian culture??? Has she lived in Russia for most of her life and is still living there??

Maria and Serena are two different people, with two differnt situations and to say that they are not only in the same boat, but interchangeable is idiotic on your part.

Maria is 100% Russian. Period.

She is as Russian as any Russian in this world.

lilimi
Oct 4th, 2006, 07:41 PM
i hope masha doesn't play Fed Cup just for the Olympics but for the TEAM

LH2HBH
Oct 4th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Will she play doubles?

* Imagining Kirilenko/Sharapova doubles team! * :hearts:

bellascarlett
Oct 4th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Will she play doubles?

* Imagining Kirilenko/Sharapova doubles team! * :hearts:

Oh no!...as I said before, they'll lose...:lol:...Maria won't play doubles...well maybe a dead rubber...but I prefer Lena D. and Sharapova!

RussiaTennis
Oct 4th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Maria should play just 2 singles matches, no doubles. Maria playing 2 singles matches on any surface other than clay is as good as a 2-0 lead to Russia.

LH2HBH
Oct 4th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Oh no!...as I said before, they'll lose...:lol:...Maria won't play doubles...well maybe a dead rubber...but I prefer Lena D. and Sharapova!

For sure! Or really Lena D. anybody else. Maria is OK on the doubles court but there are certainly better players! Safina, Kuznetsova, Elena you name it.

alelysafina
Oct 4th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Maria is 100% Russian. Period.

She is as Russian as any Russian in this world.

Is she as Russian as someone who has live there whole life in Russia, only speaks Russian, was completely educated in Russian Schools?

RussiaTennis
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Is she as Russian as someone who has live there whole life in Russia, only speaks Russian, was completely educated in Russian Schools?

So you're trying to say true Russians should not learn other languages? :rolleyes:

You're a total idiot.

You're either 100% Russian or not, Maria is.

alelysafina
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:10 PM
So you're trying to say true Russians should not learn other languages? :rolleyes:

You're a total idiot.

You're either 100% Russian or not, Maria is.

No, you just infered that from my examples. Did I say that, no.

Maria is not 100% Russian. Even the Russians say she is not all Russian. And if I knew someone who was born in one country but spent most of their life in another and completly acclimated to that life of that new country I would say the person would be more part of the new country than the old.

RussiaTennis
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:13 PM
The only person that can tell you if she is Russian or not is Maria herself.

Martyś
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:14 PM
I think you should be her to say something like what you said.

Only she knows how russian she feels.

alelysafina
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:15 PM
The only person that can tell you if she is Russian or not is Maria herself.

Good, then you can stop posting for her and telling us she is 100% Russian :)

RussiaTennis
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Good, then you can stop posting for her and telling us she is 100% Russian :)

She has already said she is 100% Russian :)

alelysafina
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:17 PM
She has already said she is 100% Russian :)

But it seems like her actions do not corroborate it. :)

RussiaTennis
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:18 PM

She won wimbledon, us open and got to world number 1 with "Russia" next to her name, more than what any other Russian player has done. :)

morningglory
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:19 PM
No, you just infered that from my examples. Did I say that, no.

Maria is not 100% Russian. Even the Russians say she is not all Russian. And if I knew someone who was born in one country but spent most of their life in another and completly acclimated to that life of that new country I would say the person would be more part of the new country than the old.
BS I'm Thai and I've gone to school in the US for several years, I was similar to Maria, raised as a kid in the US and of course I have an American accent and everything, but I still consider myself Thai. I mean the family, the food, the way you're raised up... it's still Thai! Even if I'm acclimated to life in the US...

alelysafina
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:23 PM
BS I'm Thai and I've gone to school in the US for several years, I was similar to Maria, raised as a kid in the US and of course I have an American accent and everything, but I still consider myself Thai. I mean the family, the food, the way you're raised up... it's still Thai! Even if I'm acclimated to life in the US...

But was hse really raised Russian?? Did her father/mother (when she got there) teach her about the russian holidays and russian food, etc. It's different when you have a whole family with siblings and such.

Question, but don't you also consider yourself American to a point?

RussiaTennis
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:26 PM
IF any tennis player is not 100% Russian, its Kuznetsova. She actually WANTED to become Spanish before she got rejected.

Anyway now she feels Russian and I still consider her as a true Russian

alelysafina
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Just read.

AnnaK_4ever
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:31 PM

Засунь логарифмическую линейку, которой ты измеряешь патриотизм, себе в задницу, а потом скажи, много там нашлось "русского" или нет?!
:fiery:

CanIGetAWhat
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:41 PM
No big surprise that Maria's playing Fed Cup. The Olympics are coming up soon. :tape:

alelysafina
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Засунь логарифмическую линейку, которой ты измеряешь патриотизм, себе в задницу, а потом скажи, много там нашлось "русского" или нет?!
:fiery:

А я бы тебе посоветовала, когда ты в следующий раз будешь эту линейку себе ТУДА засовывать - измерить уровень воспитанности и такта

RussiaTennis
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Just read.

i dont read bullshit. bye

bellascarlett
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Just read.

goodness...there is a first time for everything. And Maria will play Fed cup for the first time next year the way Sveta played Fed cup for the first time in 2004 (somebody correct me if I'm wrong and if Sveta played earlier than 2004). And if the basis for being a true Russian is playing Fed cup, then well Maria will be one next year. *big sigh*

AnnaK_4ever
Oct 4th, 2006, 09:27 PM
А я бы тебе посоветовала, когда ты в следующий раз будешь эту линейку себе ТУДА засовывать - измерить уровень воспитанности и такта

Много чести - заботиться о воспитанности и такте, когда рядом такие "патриоты".

Шарапова сделала достаточно для нашей страны, чтобы поступать так, как она хочет. Можно не любить ее, как и любого другого человека, но она русская, россиянка уже только по факту рождения, с российским паспортом, и никто - никто, понятно? - не может лишить ее гражданства и права называться самой собой. А свой выбор она сделала; собственно, как она не раз говорила, и не стояло перед ней никогда никакого выбора: она русская.
А что до мнения остальных, то, как в старом советском афоризме, пусть поджигатели клевещут...

BMP
Oct 4th, 2006, 09:32 PM
I still can't understand why she doesn't represent the country where she grew up and has had opportunities to start a great carrier, and just everything for a good life, but the one from which she escaped, and about which she hardly knows anything.... It's really weird. She's so thankless. I'd have had more respect for her if she'd played for the US.

RussiaTennis
Oct 4th, 2006, 09:42 PM
I still can't understand why she doesn't represent the country where she grew up and has had opportunities to start a great carrier, and just everything for a good life, but the one from which she escaped, and about which she hardly knows anything.... It's really weird. She's so thankless. I'd have had more respect for her if she'd played for the US.

Are you blind or just stupid or both?

Just in case you didn't realise, there is a Russian flag and a "RUS" next to her name in every match of every tournament she has entered in her career. She is the only Russian female player to prove that a Russian player can reach world number 1 and win multiple slams.

BMP
Oct 4th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Are you blind or just stupid or both?
Nope. Blind and stupid are those who shouts out that she is "100% Russian", while in fact is so obvious she's not. (e.g. none of Russian people I met spoke as perfect Am English as she does, even emigrants) As if they refuse to see obvious things.... Oh well... useless conversation. If some people prefer to be delusional and it feels confortable, there's nothing I can do about it. :help:

bellascarlett
Oct 4th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Nope. Blind and stupid are those who shouts out that she is "100% Russian", while in fact is so obvious she's not. (e.g. none of Russian people I met spoke as perfect Am English as she does, even emigrants) As if they refuse to see obvious things.... Oh well... useless conversation. If some people prefer to be delusional and it feels confortable, there's nothing I can do about it. :help:

Oh that's a joke. You obviously haven't met a lot. Actually look no further, Tursunov is a great example. He even speaks and writes in English better than Maria. :lol:

hotandspicey
Oct 4th, 2006, 11:52 PM
Sharapova is simply setting the stage for her arrival in Moscow. Her agents and reps are smart cookies. they know what the media wants to hear before she sets foot again in her abandoned country. :tape: Maria has a house in LA and Florida. Does she have one in Russia? Does she take a trip just to visit her homeland, friends and family, or just to expand her bankroll and gain media attention. Rumors of a potential boyfriend is an American, not Russian although there are many on tour. :tape: Yuri is raising an American child in every way. His motto must be ' get the american money, get the American fame and fortune. that's what we came for. the american dream. but damn it to hell, when you are asked, say you feel russian, say you are russian.' nothing wrong here but people need to recognize this. There is nothing russian about Maria except her parents.

the cat
Oct 5th, 2006, 12:00 AM
hotandspicey, Maria's parents are from Belarus. But their daughter Maria is from Russia. ;)

Dan23
Oct 5th, 2006, 12:09 AM

Шарапова сделала достаточно для нашей страны, чтобы поступать так, как она хочет. Можно не любить ее, как и любого другого человека, но она русская, россиянка уже только по факту рождения, с российским паспортом, и никто - никто, понятно? - не может лишить ее гражданства и права называться самой собой. А свой выбор она сделала; собственно, как она не раз говорила, и не стояло перед ней никогда никакого выбора: она русская.
А что до мнения остальных, то, как в старом советском афоризме, пусть поджигатели клевещут...
исправьте...но почему разговор по-русски? ;)

Dan23
Oct 5th, 2006, 12:12 AM
Abandon ship! Abandon ship! :eek: GL's yacht is taking in too much water and she split the scene for the rest of today. Wise move Goldenlox. ;) I hope you're either playing tennis or shopping. :tennis: :yeah:
:lol: :yeah:

Shes spent all shes got and shes still at the same place as before, reposting the same things over and over. All GL's got is the US flags on the cake and living in the US while other Russians have actively sought a change of nationality.

bellascarlett
Oct 5th, 2006, 12:35 AM
:lol: :yeah:

Shes spent all shes got and shes still at the same place as before, reposting the same things over and over. All GL's got is the US flags on the cake and living in the US while other Russians have actively sought a change of nationality.

oh dear god if I have to hear about those US flags on a cake one more time!!!...:help: :lol:

what a pathetic argument...first of all, i think it was a 'replica' of freaking arthur ashe stadium! :rolls:

anyway, i don't want to lure someone into mentioning it again.

dan, didn't know you spoke russian. :)

Dani12
Oct 5th, 2006, 01:01 AM
:(

roarke
Oct 5th, 2006, 01:17 AM
:weirdo:

Russia gave her nothing. NOTHING. Still she is Russian citizen. It's her right to represent the country where she was born. Nobody can take it fom her. And if she wants to play that's cool.

Well one could make the argument from the other side and say that she should feel the need to represent the country that has given her and her family EVERYTHING and still continue to do so.

Her Russian identity is a huge part of her marketing appeal..... She can't afford to close the proximity to it.

perseus2006
Oct 5th, 2006, 02:43 AM
:lol: :p

oh perseus, i love u and all, but you honestly think she has a chance at winning RG? I don't think it's impossible (she'll probably make her deepest run yet next year) but to actually say it out loud is pretty funny...:)

As you may have noticed, some of my posts have been called worse things than "funny"! Some apparently deservedly so based on the evidence of long strings of red buttons. Yesterday I got another purple one, even?!?

To the point: Pova has a great opportunity to take the 2007 AO! Three as a teen!!! That would be magnificent.

A 2007 AO Championship sets up an even more incredible opportinity: a career slam with the 2007 RG. Pova's motivation will be very high to get it done - I think she has the game to do it. The important issue is to stay healthy. Yes, I honestly believe Pova can win the 2007 RG!

Shoulderpova
Oct 5th, 2006, 03:08 AM
Goldenlox is not Russian, she doesn't know a single Russian word so she has no right to comment on Maria being American or not :) She's just a poor American like many others who are eager to have Maria as their citizen. With current tennis situation in America, it's quite understandable.
And this thread should be locked by now :(

Shoulderpova
Oct 5th, 2006, 03:14 AM

Совершенно согласился с этим постом :wavey: