PDA

View Full Version : Will Sharapova's US Open win open the floodgates?

Sha_ra_po_va
Oct 3rd, 2006, 08:31 PM
I'm always interested to see how a new Grand Slam champ reacts when it's back to business, grinding out the day-to-day tour matches. Will their win release the pressure and allow them to play really freely and fearlessly, or will it shackle them or make them even less motivated to do well in the weekly slog? I know Maria had her Wimbledon win 2 years back, but everyone, including her hitting partner, agrees that she really got a monkey off her back in New York. So, will she flourish or flounder? What is your opinion?

LH2HBH
Oct 3rd, 2006, 08:40 PM
I think flourish. I think she needed slam #2 mentally to solidify her place amongst champions!

Sha_ra_po_va
Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:17 PM
I hope so....will be interesting to see her mood in moscow!

Kimster
Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:20 PM
Morrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre potty breaks???????

Or did you use the word "flood" wrongly here? I sure as :devil: hope you did. :kiss:

msharafan
Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:20 PM
i hope she does well but who knos when she arrives in moscow shell have had 4 weeks with no matches so she might be a little rusty but hopefully shell have worked hard the last couple of weeks and does well here. although if i recall last year the court was very slow indeed and did not suit marias game at all any idea whether the surface will be any quicker this year?

Lenafan
Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:21 PM
I don't think she expected to win the 1st GS. I don't think anyone did. It created unrealistic expectations. It was more of a fluke. This one she expected to win. She's older and more experienced now. She fears noone on the tour now. This is not to say she will flat out dominate, but this time, without question, she will flourish. She doesn't strike me as the type who gets satisfied with one, two Slams etc.

hingis'boyfriend
Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:23 PM
I don't think she'll win one next year. I think she'll finish on 4 slams. Another US and another Wimbly title most probs.

OZTENNIS
Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:26 PM
I don't think she'll win one next year. I think she'll finish on 4 slams. Another US and another Wimbly title most probs.

shes overrated (and quite frankly makes me sick)

hingis'boyfriend
Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:27 PM
shes overrated (and quite frankly makes me sick)

:yeah: :worship:

msharafan
Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:31 PM
ok fine then thats why she just one a grand slam and beat all the players she struggled with in the past this summer! ok then believe what you want if she didnt prove to you that she is not over rated this summer i guess she never will. now i do know who is over rated and that would be hingis! and she makes me sick with her bitchy comments on players!

hingis'boyfriend
Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:33 PM
ok fine then thats why she just one a grand slam and beat all the players she struggled with in the past this summer! ok then believe what you want if she didnt prove to you that she is not over rated this summer i guess she never will. now i do know who is over rated and that would be hingis! and she makes me sick with her bitchy comments on players!

You must spend a long time with your head down the bog then :D

hingis'boyfriend
Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:34 PM

Does winning 5 slams when you're 18 make you over-rated then? Wow! I must know what it takes to be under-rated then :D

msharafan
Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:35 PM
so must you ha ha and also you must do a lot when you think of cristiano ronaldo ha ha penelty during the world cup ring a bell! ha ha anyway im off.....

RussiaTennis
Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:35 PM
Next year, for someone of Maria's remarkable talent, anything less than 2 slams would be an underachievement.

I think she'll win either 2 or 3 slams next year.

OZTENNIS
Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:36 PM

ur the one acting like a bitch :lol: :fiery: . How can u say that Hingis (an all time great and personal fav) is overrated :confused: :mad: !! The facts speak for themselves:
42 WTA Tour Singles Titles (and counting)
5 Grand Slam Singles Titles
209 Weeks as World No.1
Holds an unprecedented number of youngest ever records
Now holds the mantle of comeback queen!! :worship:

Whats Sharapova done that can rival Hingis :lol: Might i also point out, much of Hingis' success came at Sharapovas age (and younger)...

To finish off - Hingis' fourth comeback tournament: Tokyo semi def. Sharapova 6-3, 6-1!! :bounce: :bounce: :wavey: :wavey:

RussiaTennis
Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:40 PM
ur the one acting like a bitch :lol: :fiery: . How can u say that Hingis (an all time great and personal fav) is overrated :confused: :mad: !! The facts speak for themselves:
209 Weeks as World No.1
Holds an unprecedented number of youngest ever records
Now holds the mantle of comeback queen!! :worship:

Whats Sharapova done that can rival Hingis :lol: Might i also point out, much of Hingis' success came at Sharapovas age (and younger)...

To finish off - Hingis' fourth comeback tournament: Tokyo semi def. Sharapova 6-3, 6-1!! :bounce: :bounce: :wavey: :wavey:

Beating Kournikova and novotna is hardly the same as beating davenport and serena at wimbledon. Hingis had a lack of competition when she won her slams

Hingis beat maria once, maria eased past hingis twice and maria managed to get hingis figured out.

faboozadoo15
Oct 3rd, 2006, 11:08 PM
i think maria may accomplish more in sisngles than hingis. it will just be spread out over a few years more time. maria may never have a year like hingis's 97. i don't see hingis adding to her slam tally, and i can definitely see maria adding several more.

bellascarlett
Oct 3rd, 2006, 11:48 PM

4? Hmmm...not even 5 the same as Martina? :lol: As faboozadoo15 wrote below, it seems likely (or not impossible) that Maria may end up winning more slams than Martina. No guarantee of course but the way that she won that Open and the way that she's been consistently close in the past - always in the semis (I could think of two where she could or should have gone to the finals) - it's hard to imagine she won't add to what she has now.

i think maria may accomplish more in sisngles than hingis. it will just be spread out over a few years more time. maria may never have a year like hingis's 97. i don't see hingis adding to her slam tally, and i can definitely see maria adding several more.

Anyway, Maria may go on to win 5 slams and yet ppl will have the nerve to call her overrated...it's alright...at least she'll still go on to have a better career than more than 95% of the tour. ;)

And for the thread's main topic, I've actually been wondering the same thing but mainly just concerning Maria. I do hope the Open win gives her that extra confidence to push her to win more titles...and it would be wonderful if she starts with Moscow. Getting that semifinal barrier knocked down was important. It was never a question of if but when in terms of her winning that second slam. She always had it in her to beat anyone. Now I think some kind of pressure has been lifted and all the more mentally she can go into events/slams thinking she can do it.

Rollo
Oct 4th, 2006, 01:46 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if she wins 2 slams next year, but the biggest challenge for the Queen of Scream is going to be the French.

WIMBLY2004
Oct 4th, 2006, 05:51 AM
Does winning 5 slams when you're 18 make you over-rated then? Wow! I must know what it takes to be under-rated then :D

5 slams already at 18, she must have won a lot as she is 26 now, how many in total? (go check on wtatour website) err...still 5? :tape:

WIMBLY2004
Oct 4th, 2006, 05:55 AM
Might i also point out, much of Hingis' success came at Sharapovas age (and younger)...

so what has she done after Maria's age?

I remember they played afterward, twice, what are the scores :wavey:

OZTENNIS
Oct 4th, 2006, 07:08 AM
reached 3 consecutive australian open finals, two french semis, two us semis and won 16 wta tour singles titles. shes beaten all the top players, managed to be ranked No.1 in the world for a further 2 years, and won 3 grand slams (2 doubles, 1 mixed) since!! and all with screwed ankles!!

Serge007
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:08 AM
How can u say that Hingis (an all time great and personal fav) is overrated !! The facts speak for themselves:
209 Weeks as World No.1
so what? the facts for another Martina (Navratilova):
167 singles titles
18 grand slam single titles
and 331 weeks as world no 1.

it's just other time.

hingis_boyfriend
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:14 AM
How can anyone compare Sharapova to Hingis? You are completely clueless is you think their achievements are the same :rolleyes:
shall we have a look:

Hingis
209 weeks world no.1
42 titles
5 slams (3/4 slams and 12 finals)
all 4 GS doubles

Sharapova
7 weeks world no.1
13 titles
2 GS (2/4 slams and 2 finals)
ummmmmmmmmm?????

Not really comparable is it? Or maybe we should check Hingis' stats for when she was 19? :p

OZTENNIS
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:19 AM
so what? the facts for another Martina (Navratilova):
167 singles titles
18 grand slam single titles
and 331 weeks as world no 1.

it's just other time.

so what r u getting at??? :confused:

OZTENNIS
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:20 AM
How can anyone compare Sharapova to Hingis? You are completely clueless is you think their achievements are the same :rolleyes:
shall we have a look:

Hingis
209 weeks world no.1
42 titles
5 slams (3/4 slams and 12 finals)
all 4 GS doubles

Sharapova
7 weeks world no.1
13 titles
2 GS (2/4 slams and 2 finals)
ummmmmmmmmm?????

Not really comparable is it? Or maybe we should check Hingis' stats for when she was 19? :p

;) :worship: :bounce: :wavey: well said!!!! :worship: :bounce: :wavey: ;)

Maria Croft
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:33 AM
:haha: now people are even comparing Sharapova and Hingis? :tape:

hingis_boyfriend
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:34 AM
:haha: now people are even comparing Sharapova and Hingis? :tape:

I know, quite embarrasing :lol:

WIMBLY2004
Oct 4th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Or maybe we should check Hingis' stats for when she was 19? :p

Is there any difference? :tape: I mean her achievement now and those when she was 19 :p

You keep saying how she was wonderful when she was young, but the fact is what she had when she's young is pretty much what she has now. You can argue Hingis's achievement now is much better than Maria's because she has a much longer career, but when you keep pointing the fact that how young she was when she achieved those doesn't help your argument because she didn't do much since then.

Hingis wom much more than Grarf/Navratinova/Serena before 19, but she is far behind those in the whole career.

Orion
Oct 4th, 2006, 09:49 AM
I think she'll have success. Do I think she'll win on clay? No. In Australia? No. At Wimbledon? A final, maybe even a win. I don't think she will be able to dominate, she just can't mainain the focus it takes to win 2+ slams in a year. I'd be surprised to see her hold the number 1 spot for more than a few stretches in her career, but I do think she'll win 4 more slams, maybe even 5.

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Oct 4th, 2006, 10:46 AM
the results will speak for themself

Ntour
Oct 4th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Next year, for someone of Maria's remarkable talent, anything less than 2 slams would be an underachievement.

I think she'll win either 2 or 3 slams next year.

justine will win all of them next year!

maria probably wont win any, if all the top players (AKA Clijsters, Henin, Mauresmo (sometimes), Davenport, and Serena) are back then no way will she win any

actually if both clijsters and justine are healthy she has no chance, she can't beat them (oh unless they are injured, like USO final)

Ntour
Oct 4th, 2006, 10:54 AM
and lets not forget marias huge stint in the no. 1 position, which she only got because davenport was injured and missed tournaments

WIMBLY2004
Oct 4th, 2006, 11:05 AM
maria probably wont win any, if all the top players (AKA Clijsters, Henin, Mauresmo (sometimes), Davenport, and Serena) are back then no way will she win any

except for serena, she beat them all this year, and she beat serena before, so I don't know what you are talking about :confused:

and lets not forget marias huge stint in the no. 1 position, which she only got because davenport was injured and missed tournaments

Maria missed tournaments as well due to injury in the same summer, actaully she didnt complete a hard court tournament in that summer before USO, and Davenport at least completed one, so your point is??? :confused:

Serge007
Oct 4th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Don't forget Maria was injured and missed tournaments also.

OZTENNIS
Oct 4th, 2006, 09:38 PM
justine will win all of them next year!

actually if both clijsters and justine are healthy she has no chance, she can't beat them (oh unless they are injured, like USO final)

Well said!! :worship:

jacobruiz
Oct 4th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Well said!! :worship:

No it isn't. Read Wimbly's post 2 posts above yours.

RussiaTennis
Oct 4th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Maria thrashed Henin in such an easy match in the US Open final. Some of you Henin fans are very bitter.

Maria will be the favourite going into 3 of the 4 slams next year.

LH2HBH
Oct 4th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Maria thrashed Henin in such an easy match in the US Open final. Some of you Henin fans are very bitter.

Yes she will!

LH2HBH
Oct 4th, 2006, 11:11 PM
That doesn't mean anything though :p

Favorite means the one that most people think will win :rolleyes:

RussiaTennis
Oct 4th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Yeah I know, but it doesn't make you the champion, does it? :p

Means she is seen as the most likely winner

Orion
Oct 4th, 2006, 11:45 PM

She'll be THE favorite for the US Open because she's a natural fast hardcourt player. Mauresmo will be THE favorite for Wimbledon because she's currently the best grass court player on the tour (as in, can serve, volley, return, rally, etc. with anyone). I'd expect the Aussie to be a three-woman race, and that all depends on whether Sharapova maintains her momentum (probable), Henin recovers (less probable), and Mauresmo stays level (likely).

The truth is, sweeping through the US Hardcourts isn't an indicator of future success. Clijsters, Davenport, etc. have all had phenomenal success at the US Open lead-ups, and haven't been in the top contenders list for the other slams. The rest of the year will determine who will be the favorite for slams next year.

RussiaTennis
Oct 4th, 2006, 11:48 PM
She'll be THE favorite for the US Open because she's a natural fast hardcourt player. Mauresmo will be THE favorite for Wimbledon because she's currently the best grass court player on the tour (as in, can serve, volley, return, rally, etc. with anyone). I'd expect the Aussie to be a three-woman race, and that all depends on whether Sharapova maintains her momentum (probable), Henin recovers (less probable), and Mauresmo stays level (likely).

The truth is, sweeping through the US Hardcourts isn't an indicator of future success. Clijsters, Davenport, etc. have all had phenomenal success at the US Open lead-ups, and haven't been in the top contenders list for the other slams. The rest of the year will determine who will be the favorite for slams next year.

http://www.oddschecker.com/betting/mode/c/card/tennis-womenswimbledon/scard/8407

Maria is the clear favourite for wimbledon next year.

Orion
Oct 5th, 2006, 12:28 AM
http://www.oddschecker.com/betting/mode/c/card/tennis-womenswimbledon/scard/8407

Maria is the clear favourite for wimbledon next year.

She's the favorite of the month. After the French Open in '05, Justine Henin was the betmakers favorite for Wimbledon, and critics as well. After Wimbledon '06, Mauresmo was the favorite for Wimbledon '07. These things fluctuate as players garner success, but fluctuate even more leading up to the event. To go by October of '06's predictions for Wimbledon '07 is stupid. It doesn't take into account the probablities of Sharapova's game: injury, inconsistency, etc.

On a side note, I would also take another look at the way the thread topic question is posed. Do I think this win will propel her to do her best? Yes. Do I think that is a flood? No. I think her best is another Wimbledon eventually and two more US Opens, with an outside chance of an Aussie title in there somewhere.

The fundamental difference between pro and con "Sharapova is the best thing since sliced bread" tennis fans is this: some people see her as a player with limitless potential, others see her as a player with all kinds of flaws and lack of depth. Her game is too physical for her to reach the heights of the GOAT-ers, and she doesn't have the domination of the tour that even a player as 1-dimensional as Seles mastered (at an even younger age, I may point out). As it stands, she is the best on fast hardcourts, a little less than equal to the best on grass, top 5 on slow hardcourts and carpet, and top 20 on clay. When players DOMINATE, like Seles in the early nineties, or Graf...almost always..., they have MAYBE one surface that they can be beaten on by the best. A player who is taken the distance to Mashona Washington on clay, clearly not dominating. For all the talk that Seles couldn't win Wimbledon, she reached the final, and made it to the quarters at least four times. Does anyone really think Sharapova can match that on clay?

It's OK that Sharapova isn't the GOAT. I enjoy watching her for what she is: a fierce competitor and powerful hitter who brings a lot of energy and viewership to the sport. But to believe that she will dominate the tour for years to come is simply ignorant of the weaknesses of her game and the strengths of her competitors.

perseus2006
Oct 5th, 2006, 02:32 AM
Seems to me, Orion, that you took a snapshot of Pova at Wimbledon 2005 and haven't seen her in action since. That is no more an accurate picture of Pova today than the 2003 snapshot of Serena is today.

Lets pay attention to the tennis in 2007 and lets see what happens.