PDA

View Full Version : Capriati Fans!! -- Jen's back ... for charity

tennisIlove09
Oct 3rd, 2006, 02:24 AM
Capriati To Appear At Gullikson Foundation Swingtime Event
http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/CapriatiUSOpenGOODLum.jpg
C.Lum/************** By Tennis Week
10/02/2006

Jennifer Capriati is returning to tennis ó at least for one day. Former World No. 1 Capriati is scheduled to participate in this year's Swingtime "An Evening with The Stars" charity gala on Saturday, November 18.

The Swingtime Gala presented by ASG is one of the highlights of the annual Swingtime ó A Pro-Celebrity Pro-Am Tennis & Golf Tournament ó benefiting the Tim & Tom Gullikson Foundation, which will celebrate its eighth anniversary by returning for the second consecutive year to Naples, Fla., where it will be hosted by Stock Development.

Capriati, 30, who is still in rehabilitation following shoulder surgery in January 2005, is a three-time grand slam champion, winning the 2001 and 2002 Australian Opens, and the 2001 French Open. Capriati has claimed 14 career titles, including the 1992 Olympic gold medal at the Barcelona Games.

"Iím thrilled to be coming to the Gala this year and to help Swingtime celebrate its eighth anniversary," Capriati said. "I have had a long relationship through the years with the Gulliksons, and Swingtime host Tom Gullikson used to coach me, so it is special for me to be a part of the weekend festivities."

Swingtime host Tom Gullikson was thrilled that his friend and former student will be attending this yearís Swingtime.

"Iíve known Jennifer since she was just a little girl, a little girl with one wicked forehand," Gullikson said. "Having the opportunity to have coached Jennifer during her career is one of the great memories from my career. We have always maintained our friendship through the years and Iím delighted that sheís coming to the Gala this year."

Former top five player Jimmy Arias, a resident of Southwest Florida, has also confirmed he will take part in this yearís event. Arias, who these days is often seen as a TV analyst for various tennis broadcasts, won five career titles and reached the finals of 11 additional tournaments during his illustrious career.

Over 30 celebrities have signed on for this yearís eighth annual Swingtime. Among those joining Jennifer Capriati and Jimmy Arias on this yearís Swingtime roster are: Chris Evert, Mardy Fish, Todd Martin, Aaron Krickstein, Taylor Dent, Jamea Jackson, Johan Kriek, Brenda Schultz-McCarthy, Kathy Rinaldi, Harold Solomon, Lori McNeil, Gigi Fernandez and Wendy Turnbull. The Tim & Tom Gullikson Foundation was established in 1995 by the Gulliksons, both former world-class tennis pros and distinguished coaches, after Tim was diagnosed with malignant brain tumors. Tim Gullikson, who as a coach helped establish Pete Sampras as the top player in the world, died in 1996, at age 44, after losing his battle with the disease. The Foundationís mission is to fund care and support programs to assist brain-tumor patients and their families in managing the physical, emotional and social challenges presented by the illness. Among other things, the Foundation funds information and support phone lines for brain tumor patients and their families, sends children who are brain tumor survivors to camp, and gives college scholarships to students who have been affected by brain tumors. Tickets for the November 18 tennis exhibition, which begins at 1 p.m. cost $75 for a Box Seat [$67.50 for USTA members] and $40 for a General Admission Seat [$36 for USTA members]. Box seat packages are also available for $400 and include four box seat tickets, two parking passes and a listing in the Event Program. Also available are individual tickets for the Swingtime Gala presented by ASG for $250, while sponsoring a table of 10 costs $2,500. There are many other package deals available for not only the tennis exhibition, but to take part in the tennis pro-am and/or golf pro-am tournament. For Tennis Exhibition tickets call TicketMaster at (239) 334-3309. For more information about Swingtime and how to attend the Swingtime Gala or participate in the Tennis Pro-am and/or Golf Pro-Am Tournament, please call C & H Events, Inc. at (239) 649-7171 or (561) 394-9190 or email MLCope@chevents.com (MLCope@chevents.com).

RJWCapriati
Oct 3rd, 2006, 02:31 AM
So this hopefully means she will be playing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

hurricanejeanne
Oct 3rd, 2006, 02:37 AM
"Iíve known Jennifer since she was just a little girl, a little girl with one wicked forehand," Gullikson said.

A little girl with a wicked forehand. :) :worship:

That's Jenny!
Oh I'm excited for her. I can't wait to see some pictures, hopefully her shoulder will let her hit a few balls and stuff... :bounce:

manu32
Oct 3rd, 2006, 12:06 PM
great

jazzfuzion
Oct 3rd, 2006, 12:33 PM
either way its nice to hear some news whether she's playing or not

cindy
Oct 3rd, 2006, 01:02 PM
greay!!! I can't wait to see some pix!!!!

jenny161185
Oct 3rd, 2006, 06:20 PM
Aww if shes playing thats amazing news!!!!! could she still play in OZ 07 or am I just living in dream land?

Highlandman
Oct 3rd, 2006, 06:22 PM
:hearts:

mike/topgun
Oct 3rd, 2006, 06:45 PM
:eek:
come back Jenny:yeah:

thomas.chung
Oct 3rd, 2006, 07:04 PM
Somehow I still think she can play AO2007, remember last year Hingis made her announcement at around the same time? Though Hingis probably trained the entire summer before, I still think Jen Cap can be adequately prepared for the 2007.

Oizo
Oct 3rd, 2006, 07:57 PM
YAY!!! :bounce:

Ballbasher
Oct 3rd, 2006, 08:11 PM
Jenn news :woohoo:

supergrunt
Oct 3rd, 2006, 08:15 PM
If I would have made this thread with its title people would be cursing me out. :(

kadirelf
Oct 3rd, 2006, 08:23 PM
2007 aus open first raund

serena williams def (WC) Jennifer Capriati 6-0 6-0

thomas.chung
Oct 3rd, 2006, 09:22 PM
2007 aus open first raund

serena williams def (WC) Jennifer Capriati 6-0 6-0

I can't say no way, but there is a small chance that this will happen I am afraid my friend! Because even in Serena's heyday Jennifer still manage to challenge Serena on a couple of occasions. And Jen is known as a fighter. I think even if she looses 1st round, it won't be such bad score line.

supergrunt
Oct 3rd, 2006, 09:29 PM
1 and 3 then :)

Andy_
Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:12 PM
No matter what this news actually mean, whether she's going to hit a few balls, play a few games, or just show up for the charity element... it's really good to hear about her, and to hear she's getting involved into something positive.

Coming from a long rehabilitation period, being able to do anything that brings her back into a tennis-related event, in the public eye and with a chance to do something good for other people is certainly going to boost her morale... and that, whether she's going to try one last comeback or her days as a pro player are gone already, is a very good thing for Jen the human being, even more than for Jen the tennis player :)

Lindsayfan32
Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:28 PM
I'm a big fan of Jennifer's but I think she will be just attending the event. When I read the headline I thought the same thing as the rest of you. I hate to say it if she still rehabing that shoulder I don't think she will ever come back but she can prove me wrong too.

IceHock
Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:36 PM
I'm a big fan of Jennifer's but I think she will be just attending the event. When I read the headline I thought the same thing as the rest of you. I hate to say it if she still rehabing that shoulder I don't think she will ever come back but she can prove me wrong too.

The good thing is that's she is hitting, because a little while ago she couldn't even throw a balll to her dog if I remember correctly.Praying we get to see her in 2007 because she is my all time favorite player.

kittyking
Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:48 PM
I cant see her return next year, but maybe in 2008....hopefully anyway

Just Justine
Oct 4th, 2006, 12:12 AM
Imagine if in the 2007 Aus Open we had Jen, Justine, Serena and Venus, Lindsay, Mary, Kim, Amelie and Kim all in!

TeamUSA#1
Oct 4th, 2006, 01:27 AM
Well, the event is in the later part of December, so that is 2 months away... there has been many reports that she has been up and down both coasts this past summer working with doctors to ger her shoulder right. Maybe she has, and anticipates to be able to play by December. Certainly looking at her in the pics for Iva's wedding 2 weeks ago, she was in playing shape.