PDA

View Full Version : "...nothing should stand in my way of making my Zurich debut." Serena claims.

safinforlife
Oct 3rd, 2006, 01:09 AM
Wildcard für Serena Williams in Zurich
The line-up for the Zurich Open goes from strength to strength, with the seven-times Grand Slam champion Serena Williams having been awarded the first of the Tier 1 tournament’s three wildcards.

As a result of injuries, the younger Williams is currently 88th in the Sony Ericsson world rankings, yet her recent showing at the US Open proves that she’s still an honorary member of the world’s top 10. The 25-year-old American asked the Zurich tournament director Beat Ritschard for a wildcard to the $1.34 million event. “We are delighted to grant Serena her request,” said Ritschard. “With her power, she has been a major factor in the women’s game for several years, and if she hadn’t suffered various injury problems, she would still be among the world’s top players.”

Williams topped the world rankings for 57 weeks and completed her “Serena Slam” at the Australian Open in 2003, when she held all four major titles. But this year she has played just four tournaments, the latest coming at the US Open in New York where she was beaten in three sets by the world No 1 Amélie Mauresmo in the fourth round. The last time Williams lifted a trophy was 20 months ago when she beat her fellow-American Lindsay Davenport 2-6 6-3 6-0 in the final of the 2005 Australian Open to claim her seventh Grand Slam singles title.

“I’m really looking forward to coming to the Zurich Open,” Williams said in a statement. “Up to now I’ve always had injuries which have stopped me playing, but now nothing should stand in the way of making my Zurich debut.” Though it’s Williams’s first time in the singles main draw, she has played in the qualifying tournament, losing in 1997 to the Belgian Dominique van Roost. She also has a Zurich title to her name, having won the doubles with her sister Venus in 1998.

Stamp Paid
Oct 3rd, 2006, 01:15 AM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tennisIlove09
Oct 3rd, 2006, 01:17 AM
~!YAY!~ go Serena! Good luck girl!

hablo
Oct 3rd, 2006, 01:18 AM
:drool:

Wannabeknowitall
Oct 3rd, 2006, 01:18 AM
Oh that's good. You tell them Serena.
Now I'm going to check if there are any McDonalds in Zurich just in case. :tape:

Oh damn found one in the downtown shopping area.
Serena's kyptonites in one place.
Don't go through the arches, Serena!!!

Brooklyn90
Oct 3rd, 2006, 01:21 AM
that's such good news! :)

Andy.
Oct 3rd, 2006, 01:22 AM
Thats going to be an awesome tournament.

tennisbum79
Oct 3rd, 2006, 01:37 AM
Hmmm

Will wait until she actually setps on the court the day of the match.

Sam L
Oct 3rd, 2006, 01:45 AM
This year Serena has been all words and no ... Didn't she say same things back in Cincinnati? One could've thought she'd win that and go on a streak through to the US Open.

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Oct 3rd, 2006, 02:21 AM
go serena bring it girl

RunDown
Oct 3rd, 2006, 02:36 AM
This year Serena has been all words and no ... Didn't she say same things back in Cincinnati? One could've thought she'd win that and go on a streak through to the US Open.

I'm sure she just meant that barring some unforeseen circumstance, she'll be showing up in Zurich...

~Eclipsed~
Oct 3rd, 2006, 02:39 AM
I'm sure she just meant that barring some unforeseen circumstance, she'll be showing up in Zurich...

which unforeseen circumstances seem to show up quite often with Serena.

RenaSlam.
Oct 3rd, 2006, 02:41 AM
Love when she's a cocky ass bitch :)

No Name Face
Oct 3rd, 2006, 03:18 AM
Oh that's good. You tell them Serena.
Now I'm going to check if there are any McDonalds in Zurich just in case.

dead.

:haha:

Marcus Jordan
Oct 3rd, 2006, 03:21 AM
WOAH martina beat serena twice in 3 weeks in 2001 in the sydney international and the australian open :eek: :yeah: :eek: :bolt:

~Eclipsed~
Oct 3rd, 2006, 03:22 AM
WOAH martina beat serena twice in 3 weeks in 2001 in the sydney international and the australian open :eek: :yeah: :eek: :bolt:

Umm that's a bit irrelevant to this thread.

Stamp Paid
Oct 3rd, 2006, 03:24 AM

A career highlight for her. Definitely.

Marcus Jordan
Oct 3rd, 2006, 03:25 AM
A career highlight for her. Definitely.

naw beating venus 6-1 6-1 in the same aust open :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :lick:

Mother_Marjorie
Oct 3rd, 2006, 03:25 AM
she’s still an honorary member of the world’s top 10.

The last time Williams lifted a trophy was 20 months ago when she beat her fellow-American Lindsay Davenport 2-6 6-3 6-0 in the final of the 2005 Australian Open to claim her seventh Grand Slam singles title.

Didn't realize is had been so long since she won a tennis tournament. That is crazy.

No Name Face
Oct 3rd, 2006, 03:28 AM

every life-sized chucky doll has its day.