PDA

View Full Version : Madrid aiming to hold two-week mixed tournament in 2009

spiceboy
Oct 2nd, 2006, 07:06 PM
http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articlenews.aspx?type=tennisNews&storyid=2006-10-02T135704Z_01_L0252472_RTRIDST_0_SPORT-TENNIS-MADRID-PICTURE.XML&src=rss

Madrid aiming to hold two-week mixed tournament in 2009

MADRID, Oct 2 (Reuters) - Madrid is almost certain to hold a two-week tournament with both men's and women's competitions at a new arena in 2009, tennis promoter Ion Tiriac said on Monday.
"We are 90 percent convinced that in 2009 the Masters in Madrid will be a mixed tournament that will last up to two weeks," Tiriac said at the presentation of this year's men's Masters tournament in Madrid.

"That was always our original goal and it looks like we will achieve it."

City mayor Alberto Ruiz-Gallardon said the tournament would take place in a new purpose-built arena, known as the "Caja Magica" (the Magic Box) which was originally intended to be one of the venues for Madrid's bid to hold the 2012 Olympic Games.

"The Caja Magica project is a reality and it will be ready by 2009," said Ruiz-Gallardon.

"We will have the installations to hold the most important tennis events. We have made a long-term commitment to the sport and this will become its permanent home."

This year's Madrid Masters, which takes place on Oct. 14-22, is the fifth edition of the tournament to be held in the Spanish capital. The city is also hosting the WTA tour end-of-season championships on Nov. 7-12.

MH0861
Oct 2nd, 2006, 07:08 PM
They should have combined YECs in Madrid. :hearts:

Paul.
Oct 2nd, 2006, 07:09 PM
what, like 2 tournies, one for men and one for women or men against women?... :lol:

RenaSlam.
Oct 2nd, 2006, 07:13 PM
Vamos to this idea.

LH2HBH
Oct 2nd, 2006, 07:13 PM
They should have a combined Davis Federation Cup! - all one tournament in 2 weeks!

Yasmine
Oct 2nd, 2006, 07:14 PM
I think it would be a great idea!:worship:

jimbo mack
Oct 2nd, 2006, 07:14 PM
so they're gonna stretch it out over 2 weeks?

bellascarlett
Oct 2nd, 2006, 07:23 PM
Oh I wanna go! :bounce:

Great idea! I love mixed tournaments.

The Daviator
Oct 2nd, 2006, 07:28 PM
They should have combined YECs in Madrid. :hearts:

Agreed :yeah:

If this is true though, then the YEC will have to move or the TMS event will have to move :confused:

HAOCHEN-GOAT
Oct 2nd, 2006, 07:28 PM
OMG :eek: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

ToeTag
Oct 2nd, 2006, 07:34 PM
UGH!

I loath mixed tournaments!

Fuck you, Tiriac, and Larry Scott.
:fiery: :fiery:

No.1Hingis
Oct 2nd, 2006, 07:51 PM
In Eurosport they show a pic from this article, theres Martina and Mahesh.. so I guess is a mixed doble event?.. or is just mix which sounds like women ag men or what, like GS without been one?..

vogus
Oct 2nd, 2006, 07:57 PM
sure, let's add a massive 2-week event in the fall indoor season, when everybody is already complaining that the season is too long.

This idea will NEVER work unless one of the Big Four fall women's indoor events (Stuttgart, Moscow, Zurich, Linz) is eliminated from the schedule.