PDA

View Full Version : Alona Bondarenko is first Ukrainian player ever to win an upper Tier WTA title.

vogus
Oct 1st, 2006, 09:11 PM
Natasha Medvedeva won 4 minor titles in the early 90s, but this is the first Tier 2 or higher title by a Ukrainian woman. As of tomorrow, Bondarenko will also be the first Ukrainian woman in the Top 40 since Medvedeva more than a decade ago.

Wayn77
Oct 1st, 2006, 09:13 PM
And she has two sisters one older, one younger - who are both top players. The youngest is supposed to be by far the best of the three. :eek:

LefandePatty
Oct 1st, 2006, 09:25 PM
I think Bondarenko will be a big name in the future like Maleeva..

vogus
Oct 1st, 2006, 09:27 PM
I think Bondarenko will be a big name in the future like Maleeva..

Mat :wavey: :)

janko
Oct 1st, 2006, 09:31 PM
Alona's run has been pretty impressive, but Medvedeva's tourney in Essen 93 was even better, just have a look :

ESSEN VS, II, GERMANY, October 31, 1993, $ 375,000 , CARPET (I)
Draw: 32M/0Q/16D, Rank: 40, Seed/Entry: DA

Rnd Opponent Rank W/L Score
R32 H2H BEGEROW, PETRA 111 W 6-2 7-6(4)
R16 H2H (3) HUBER, ANKE 10 W 6-4 6-2
Q H2H REINACH, ELNA 61 W 6-0 6-3
S H2H (1) SANCHEZ-VICARIO, ARANTXA 2 W 6-4 2-6 6-4
F H2H (2) MARTINEZ, CONCHITA 5 W 6-7(4) 7-5 6-4

Less money but still a Tier II and defeating three top ten!!! :worship:

Go Ukraine! Hope many titles will come for Vakulenko, Beygelzimer, Fedak, Perebyinis and all the others :)

Best rankings to beat for all of them : #23 in singles and #21 in doubles by Natalia in 1993

Uranus
Oct 1st, 2006, 09:33 PM
Congrats then!

As janko said I hope Ukrainian players will get more titles in the future, I like all of them. :)

Shonami Slam
Oct 1st, 2006, 09:54 PM
bondarenko's are far from maleeva's.
the only thing they could possibly achieve that the M's didn't is a win over Graf, should they play her in some nice exo :P
j.k, love the M's and alyona's a very nice player - though her flat strokes won't help her to much in the future. i suspect it might be her last title as well :sad:

as for ukrainian tennis - Vakulenko, to me - is thier greatest talent ever - but misfortunate injuries denied them of a much earlier breakthrough of thier countries name to headlights.
she's wicked on clay, did well this year too - going 16-6 on it, of that losses to clijsters, safina, schnyder and dementieva.
a real shame, got injured this year as well. the girl did wonderous things in her career.

Shonami Slam
Oct 1st, 2006, 09:57 PM
oh, and don't forget antoniychok. a very promising youngster

vogus
Oct 1st, 2006, 09:59 PM
bondarenko's are far from maleeva's.
the only thing they could possibly achieve that the M's didn't is a win over Graf, should they play her in some nice exo :P
j.k, love the M's and alyona's a very nice player - though her flat strokes won't help her to much in the future. i suspect it might be her last title as well :sad:

as for ukrainian tennis - Vakulenko, to me - is thier greatest talent ever - but misfortunate injuries denied them of a much earlier breakthrough of thier countries name to headlights.
she's wicked on clay, did well this year too - going 16-6 on it, of that losses to clijsters, safina, schnyder and dementieva.
a real shame, got injured this year as well. the girl did wonderous things in her career.

Vakulenko has a lot of problems, both physical and mental. Alona on the other hand is less spectacular but very steady. My personal pick for best Ukrainian talent has always been Beygelzimer.

Paul.
Oct 1st, 2006, 10:17 PM
isnt bondarenko one of 4? i searched on wta and there is obviously alyona and katerina, but then there natalia and valeria as well :shrug:

polishprodigy
Oct 1st, 2006, 10:24 PM
And she has two sisters one older, one younger - who are both top players. The youngest is supposed to be by far the best of the three. :eek:

As much as I am proud of Alona (formerly Alyona?), I wouldn't classify Valeria as a top player, and Kateryna is an up and coming singles player.

polishprodigy
Oct 1st, 2006, 10:25 PM
oh, and don't forget antoniychok. a very promising youngster

Yeah :) BUT she just lost in the first round of a 10k (after qualifying to become the no.1 seed!)

jimbo mack
Oct 2nd, 2006, 11:42 AM
Natasha Medvedeva won 4 minor titles in the early 90s, but this is the first Tier 2 or higher title by a Ukrainian woman. As of tomorrow, Bondarenko will also be the first Ukrainian woman in the Top 40 since Medvedeva more than a decade ago.

medvedeva won a tier 2 in essen 1993 :p