PDA

View Full Version : First tour singles title for UKRAINE?

AceTennisGrrrl
Oct 1st, 2006, 07:15 PM
If this is true, :bowdown: Alona

Everyone had orgasms about the first Chinese tour winner, I remember, and nobody mentions this...

janko
Oct 1st, 2006, 08:36 PM

Everyone had orgasms about the first Chinese tour winner, I remember, and nobody mentions this...

Look at the thread by Vogus, Alona is the second :wavey:

vogus
Oct 1st, 2006, 08:40 PM

i believe Bondarenko is the 3rd Ukrainian WTA titlist after Medvedeva and Savchenko. First of the current generation though. :cool:

janko
Oct 1st, 2006, 08:41 PM
i believe Bondarenko is the 3rd Ukrainian WTA titlist after Medvedeva and Savchenko. First of the current generation though. :cool:

Savchenko was from Latvia ;)

vogus
Oct 1st, 2006, 08:51 PM
Savchenko was from Latvia ;)

she was Ukrainian and then switched to Latvia when she married a Latvian. I'm not sure what year she changed so i don't know if she won any titles as a Ukrainian or not.

Joana
Oct 1st, 2006, 08:55 PM
she was Ukrainian and then switched to Latvia when she married a Latvian. I'm not sure what year she changed so i don't know if she won any titles as a Ukrainian or not.

I believe she only represented Latvia after the breakup of USSR.
But, we can claim that Bondarenko is the first ethnic Ukrainian representing Ukraine to win a title. :p

janko
Oct 1st, 2006, 09:00 PM

She married Alex Neiland on December 21, 1989, so she's been representing USSR in 1991 when she won in Saint Petersburg and Latvia when winning Schenectady in 1993

vogus
Oct 1st, 2006, 09:01 PM
I believe she only represented Latvia after the breakup of USSR.
But, we can claim that Bondarenko is the first ethnic Ukrainian representing Ukraine to win a title. :p

ah yes, because the Medvedevs were ethnic Russians. :p In that case, Bondarenko is the first ethnic Ukrainian, male or female, ever to win a Tour event for Ukraine.