PDA

View Full Version : Serena & Venus AT STUGGART

Tennis PRO
Oct 1st, 2006, 11:00 AM
JUST read an artile that states that VENUS & SERENA will play at Stuggart:

Top seed Mauresmo hopes to end Stuttgart jinx

STUTTGART: France's World No 1 Amelie Mauresmo heads a strong field at the 650,000 dollar (511,000 euro) WTA event in Stuttgart, which begins here on Monday, aiming to make it third time lucky after being a losing finalist for the past two years.

American Lindsay Davenport, not taking part this year, defeated her on both occasions so Australian Open and Wimbledon champion Mauresmo will be keen to make amends and consolidate her position at the top of the world rankings.

It will be far from easy for the 27-year-old Mauresmo with a strong field competing for the 98,500 dollar prize money with the winner also receiving a Porsche 911.

French Open champion Justin Henin-Hardenne was pencilled in to be the second seed but the Belgian right-hander, runner-up in 2001 and 2003, has been forced to withdraw due to a leg injury.

Russia's Wimbledon quarter-finalist Elena Dementieva replaces Henin-Hardenne as second seed behind Maursemo and is one of three strong hardcourt challengers from her homeland.

World No 4 Svetlana Kuznetsova, who lost to Henin-Hardenne in the French Open final, and World No 7 Nadia Petrova complete the Russian line-up.

France's Mary Pierce is another danger in the pack and is a previous winner having lifted the title as a teenager way back in 1993.

US Open champion Maria Sharapova of Russia is one notable absentee along with Belgium's Kim Clijsters who won back-to-back titles here in 2002 and 2003.

Clijsters injured her wrist at a tournament in Montreal and has been forced to withdraw.

American sisters Venus and Serena Williams know all about injuries with various injury problems seeing them spiral down the world rankings.

Both are fit for this event though with two-time Wimbledon champion and former World No. 1 Serena Williams, now ranked 88th in the world, receiving a wildcard.

Anna-Lena Gronefeld, number 17 in the world, carries German hopes although it would be a major surprise to see her go all the way given the quality of the field.

Article Tkaen from : http://www.thenews.com.pk/update_detail.asp?id=10466

dreamgoddess099
Oct 1st, 2006, 11:06 AM
That article doesn't say that they are at Stuggart, it just says they are supposed to play it. It also says that they both are fit, when we know that Venus reinjured her wrist days ago.

Marcus1979
Oct 1st, 2006, 11:08 AM
I hope Venus does not play again this year
just get herself ready for 2007

Williams-forever
Oct 1st, 2006, 01:20 PM
I don't think that article is reliable, but neither is the rumours of them withdrawing. I guess we will have to wait and see...

auntie janie
Oct 1st, 2006, 02:41 PM
I'll be shocked if poor Venus can play; the "journalist" who wrote this must not follow the sport at all. :o I still hope Serena will show, but I don't think we can assume anything from such a sloppily-researched article.

hacberto
Oct 1st, 2006, 03:29 PM
Please Venus don't play :sad: Please don't play
Please rest and prepare for another tournament, pleaseee :sad:
You are injured right now I don't want to see you loosing, not again :fiery:

CooCooCachoo
Oct 1st, 2006, 03:29 PM
The draw is already out ;)

hacberto
Oct 1st, 2006, 03:31 PM
I hope Venus does not play again this year
just get herself ready for 2007

Yeah , she should prepare for the Astralian Open

Jorn
Oct 1st, 2006, 03:33 PM
No Venus and No Serena.

Next the Linz website has both playing...as userly with German websites they post they play but don't write when they withdraws.

supergrunt
Oct 1st, 2006, 03:55 PM
Serena might be waiting for her new racquet to be made :bounce:

mike/topgun
Oct 1st, 2006, 04:56 PM
WTA with all the injured stars is just dramatic and pathetic...
They should do something with it, cos often even in the slams the field is not as strong as it should be:tape:

Highlandman
Oct 1st, 2006, 04:57 PM
Like I said yesterday, they wont play :sad:

Craigy
Oct 1st, 2006, 05:51 PM
WTA sucks :ras:

UDACHi
Oct 1st, 2006, 05:52 PM
the draw is already out and they're not in it. :wavey:

TeamUSA#1
Oct 2nd, 2006, 03:17 PM
It is obvious why Venus is not here... her poor wrist :sad: Any word on what is going on with Serena... she hasn't played since the USO... is she injured again? training and not ready? disinterested? What a frustrating year this has been to be a Serena and Venus fan...

Andy T
Oct 2nd, 2006, 03:35 PM
JUST read an artile that states that VENUS & SERENA will play at Stuggart:

Top seed Mauresmo hopes to end Stuttgart jinx

STUTTGART: France's World No 1 Amelie Mauresmo heads a strong field at the 650,000 dollar (511,000 euro) WTA event in Stuttgart, which begins here on Monday, aiming to make it third time lucky after being a losing finalist for the past two years.

:rolleyes:

barmaid
Oct 2nd, 2006, 04:05 PM
According to their (Stuggart) website, neither Venus or Serena is on the player list...check it out!

barmaid:wavey: