PDA

View Full Version : HINGIS : 'I certainly want to add Roland Garros to my kitty'

Kimster
Sep 30th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Martina Hingis was the little Swiss Miss who was named after the grand dame of women's tennis a certain Martina Navratilova.

And when she started her career with nine Grand Slam finals in three seasons and five victories, it appeared she could even beat the number of titles held by her namesake.

But then injuries took their toll on Hingis and while her male compatriot Roger Federer was conquering the men's game, she retired from the WTA Tour a victim of her chronic injuries.

However, she never lost her iron-will throughout her time on the sidelines and finally made it back to the court and showed tremendous fighting spirit and skill to gain a world ranking of number nine.

Just a few days before her 26th birthday (September 30), Hingis spoke to Gulf News in Kolkata where she was playing in the Sunfeast Open. Following are excerpts.

How tough was is to stage a comeback after a three-year layoff?

It is very difficult, really. But once you decide to do something, you should never be worried about the difficulty of the task. You have to go on doing what is required of you and if you can keep at it you will get what you deserve.

Considering that all of your Grand Slam success was during your teenage years, do you consider yourself a burnout case?

No, Never. For me, injuries forced me out of the tour and nothing else. I was doing extremely well but then the injuries came relentlessly and I had to take a break. At that point I was not sure whether I would be able to stage a comeback so I decided to quit. And last year when I felt I was okay, I begun my journey again.

What changes have you observed in the game since your return?

Well, it has moved its own way. Nothing will stop for you in life, you have to be ready to keep up the pace with it. The game has become more powerful, thanks to the Williams Sisters. They used their power intelligently on the court and with it made the game more athletic. Martina Navratilova was the pioneer on this front though, then Steffi Graf did her bit and recently it's the Williams sisters.

In this era of power-packed women tennis players, what does a comparatively frail girl like Martina Hingis need to do to stay competitive? Does she increase her gym work or spend more time in practicing on courts ...

I always believed that my strongest point is in my court coverage. For that I need to stay as light as possible. It is a part of my game to keep the ball in play as much as possible so that my powerful opponents become tired while sending the ball back to me. That is when I have my chances. So I have to continue doing the same things while trying to add a few more aspects to my game like service and net-play. I'm trying to develop these two parts of my game.

You have three Australian Open titles, one each of Wimbledon and the US Open. But there is no French Open yet

Yes and I certainly want to add a title from Roland Garros to my kitty. I went so close to winning it in 1999 when I was just three points from the title, when Steffi made a great comeback.

You have now played twice against India's Sania Mirza. What do you think about her game?

When I first played her in Dubai last February, I was really surprised to see the quality of her ground strokes. This time I was better prepared to face her. Her backhand has improved a bit and she is a wonderful talent but she needs to keep on improving.

http://www.gulfnews.com/sport/Tennis/10071062.html

Kimster
Sep 30th, 2006, 10:09 AM
I always believed that my strongest point is in my court coverage. For that I need to stay as light as possible. It is a part of my game to keep the ball in play as much as possible so that my powerful opponents become tired while sending the ball back to me. That is when I have my chances. So I have to continue doing the same things while trying to add a few more aspects to my game like service and net-play. I'm trying to develop these two parts of my game.

The only problem is, Martina, that there are hard hitters who never get tired, Kim to name but one. After almost one year back on the Tour you should expect her to know that. I really believe she has to go to that gym and train her butt off to be able to keep up with the tireless hard hitting girls.

And Roland Garros? With a depleated field......... MAYBE! But only just "maybe".

Your thoughts?

Mother_Marjorie
Sep 30th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Graf beat Hingis down too badly at the French. A permanent scar on the career of Hingis.

It will never happen.

Its as though the tennis Gods "SWOOPED" down and said, "Martina Hingis, you will never again win a Grand Slam singles title."

Talula
Sep 30th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Graf beat Hingis down too badly at the French. A permanent scar on the career of Hingis.

It will never happen.
Steffi Graf always managed to have the last laugh. Against Martina, Monica and others. Love her or loathe her she always came out on top. Martina just doesn't have what it takes to win RG. Love her tons and so glad she's back, but like you said it aint going to happen.

hingis-seles
Sep 30th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Steffi Graf always managed to have the last laugh. Against Martina, Monica and others. Love her or loathe her she always came out on top. Martina just doesn't have what it takes to win RG. Love her tons and so glad she's back, but like you said it aint going to happen.

When did Steffi have the last laugh against Monica? If anything, unlike all her predecessors, Steffi was unable to dislodge Monica from the top. Steffi was unable to defeat Monica on the tennis court. She needed assistance from a crazy, knife-wielding compatriot.

Talula
Sep 30th, 2006, 10:41 AM
When did Steffi have the last laugh against Monica? If anything, unlike all her predecessors, Steffi was unable to dislodge Monica from the top. Steffi was unable to defeat Monica on the tennis court. She needed assistance from a crazy, knife-wielding compatriot.
I agree. I meant that she always somehow, including the bad luck of others, seemed to be chosen to win. Maybe she had the :devil: on her side? Her reaction after winning the 95 US Open was shocking. She just didn't care about others. Hard to explain it, but that's what I meant by the last laugh. Record books will show over 20 Grand Slam titles, no matter how unfair they are.

Anyway, Monica is my favourite player ever and why I love tennis and have gotten into heated threads before on this so not going there again! Today! ;)

Marcus Jordan
Sep 30th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Nobody gave Agassi a chance at winning Roland Garros in 1999. I'm sure even Hingis' greatest doubters give her a better chance than people gave Agassi. Also, don't forget that Hingis has more experience than any player on the tour, so when she plays her Grand Slam finals she will have a major edge mentally over her opponent.

hingis-seles
Sep 30th, 2006, 10:46 AM
I agree. I meant that she always somehow, including the bad luck of others, seemed to be chosen to win. Maybe she had the :devil: on her side? Her reaction after winning the 95 US Open was shocking. She just didn't care about others. Hard to explain it, but that's what I meant by the last laugh. Record books will show over 20 Grand Slam titles, no matter how unfair they are.

Anyway, Monica is my favourite player ever and why I love tennis and have gotten into heated threads before on this so not going there again! Today! ;)

Oh. lol.

I'm not trying to deny Steffi's talent. She was a great talent and a phenomenal athlete who was a legend even before Monica won her first Slam. But that question mark will always be held over her unfortunately. The stabbing really put a dampener in her legacy.

I agree. Steffi always managed to win everything in style and she even left the game on her own terms in a spectacular manner. I can totally understand her reaction after winning the 1995 US Open. She was so overcome with emotion because it was such a difficult time for her family and there was so much pressure on her with her greatest rival back. Afterwards, an elated Steffi told the press this was the greatest win of her career and nothing would ever come close to it.

go hingis
Sep 30th, 2006, 10:58 AM
U got to believe to achieve. Go Martina!

hingis'boyfriend
Sep 30th, 2006, 02:14 PM
I think she can. Yes she loses to players she should beat, but she also has beaten a lot of the top players, and isn't that what you have to do in slams? :p
FO is her best chance for a GS, as she won't get 'bounced' off the court by the power players, and her game suits the surface.
I think FO 08 could be hers! (or maybe even 07 hehe!) :p

.Andrew.
Sep 30th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Yay Martina! :bounce: :hearts: :worship:

Libertango
Sep 30th, 2006, 02:27 PM
You can do it Martina, go for it!!! :yeah: :kiss:

Hingiswinsthis
Sep 30th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Like I said before, I felt Hingis really thought she could win RG this year until she got sick with that bug she got. That's half the battle already...she believes she can win RG already...it's just the question of getting match fit in THE LATTER stages of a slam. Never say never. and yes, in fact Agassi even got more doubts than Hingis in winning RG.

Veritas
Sep 30th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Since 2001, Martina's pattern has gone from up to down - meaning she does well in the first half of the year, then somehow finds a way to shoot herself in the foot from Wimbledon till January the next year. Since RG is generally in the late part of the first 6-months, Martina probably has a fighting chance...provided she actually makes some IMPROVEMENTS :mad:

Martian KC
Sep 30th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Did she really say my kitty?:lol:

Marcus Jordan
Sep 30th, 2006, 03:18 PM
awwwwwwwwwwwww her kitty....how cute :P

CrossCourt~Rally
Sep 30th, 2006, 03:52 PM
The only problem is, Martina, that there are hard hitters who never get tired, Kim to name but one. After almost one year back on the Tour you should expect her to know that. I really believe she has to go to that gym and train her butt off to be able to keep up with the tireless hard hitting girls.

And Roland Garros? With a depleated field......... MAYBE! But only just "maybe".

Your thoughts?

There are also "hard hitters " who get injured allot more then the "classic" style of game that Martina has . :sad: M artina seems to be in tip top shape. Its only natural for her to be a bit tired towards the end of her first full year back on tour . I predict that she will get into even better shape during the fall/winter offtime and really make a run at the Slams next year :bounce:

Marcus Jordan
Sep 30th, 2006, 04:18 PM
I agree, Martina is in tippytop shape and she kind of reminds me of when Agassi reached his best fitness after coming back, rededicating to fitness more than ever. She will probably win the French Open because of this.

faboozadoo15
Sep 30th, 2006, 04:26 PM
She could win RG... I won't count her out. For goodness sake, she won Rome last year!

and about the "hard hitters who never get tired" routine-- Martina can handle any type of ball and spit it back deep with a different pace, a different spin everytime. these "hard hitters who never get tired" have nowhere near the variety hingis possesses. hingis doesn't really have to make them tired, she needs to develop new/old ways to put her opponents off balanced and outwit them. she'll have to play with her tactics before next year. because with the way she's playing since the french open, bar a few matches, there's no way she'll win a major next year. she needs rest too.

JulesVerne
Sep 30th, 2006, 04:30 PM

Interesting view.

Seles never beat Graf on grass, indoors or decoturf. All her victories came on clay or rebound ace (AO slow hard court).

http://www.tenniscorner.net/index.php?corner=W&action=headtohead&player1id=GRS001&player2id=SEM001

Emptiness
Oct 1st, 2006, 12:34 AM
I think Martina has put enough things in her kitty. :tape: :p

safinforlife
Oct 1st, 2006, 12:49 AM
martina must have a ripped kitty with all those tropyhs in there.

Wannabeknowitall
Oct 1st, 2006, 01:00 AM
Ewww...
Martina, let's try to keep up with the years.
"I certainly want to add Roland Garros to my kitty"
Fifty something year old Englishwomen use that phrase, not twenty-six year old Gen Y's.
By the way HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARTINA.

jrm
Oct 1st, 2006, 01:17 AM
Didn't know she was a comedian as well :devil:

TheAllan
Oct 1st, 2006, 01:25 AM
This could certainly add new dimensions to the prize ceremony in Paris.

perseus2006
Oct 1st, 2006, 01:54 AM
If wishes were horses, Martina could lead a cavalry charge and rescue Custer!!!

Veenut
Oct 1st, 2006, 02:01 AM
:haha: This could certainly add new dimensions to the prize ceremony in Paris.

What an image!! :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

barmaid
Oct 1st, 2006, 02:05 AM
Martina's quest for a title at RG has been surrounded by "bad luck"..she should have won against Iva Majoli in 1997 (but fell off her horse before the tournament) again in 1998 lost to a red hot Mary Pierce..should of ...could have...1999 was her own misfortune if she had just accepted that out call that was in but move on and stop with the pouting and petulance..instead of that meltdown that ensued....so her chances to obtain that elusive trophy were many but can she do it? Got to the quarters against Clijsters this year but apparently not physically fit to pull it off. Well intangibles have to take place and "lady luck" has to finally be on Martina's side but she's got the talent..she just needs to exorize the :devil: demons....start with lots of confidence and maintain focus and determination throughout...it can be done..but time is ticking...the youngsters are hungry...she just has to want it more than anybody else! Good Luck Marti, you can do it!:kiss: :bounce: :worship: :help:

barmaid:wavey:

matthieu_tennis
Oct 1st, 2006, 02:12 AM

Your thoughts?
They can get very tired mentally against hingis lol :) :bounce: go martina

andyshakira
Oct 1st, 2006, 04:31 AM
look at justine henin she is considered one off the big hitters, ok lindsay kim williams can hit flat a little bit hader but for a girl who is actually a little shorter then hingis (acording to there profiles) she can still generate more pace then hingis so there has to be a way for martina to hit bigger.

Marty's party
Oct 1st, 2006, 04:33 AM
you go girl!!!

Havok
Oct 1st, 2006, 05:07 AM
Martina's quest for a title at RG has been surrounded by "bad luck"..she should have won against Iva Majoli in 1997 (but fell off her horse before the tournament) again in 1998 lost to a red hot Mary Pierce..should of ...could have...1999 was her own misfortune if she had just accepted that out call that was in but move on and stop with the pouting and petulance..instead of that meltdown that ensued....so her chances to obtain that elusive trophy were many but can she do it? Got to the quarters against Clijsters this year but apparently not physically fit to pull it off. Well intangibles have to take place and "lady luck" has to finally be on Martina's side but she's got the talent..she just needs to exorize the :devil: demons....start with lots of confidence and maintain focus and determination throughout...it can be done..but time is ticking...the youngsters are hungry...she just has to want it more than anybody else! Good Luck Marti, you can do it!:kiss: :bounce: :worship: :help:

barmaid:wavey:
Hingis lost to a red hot Seles at RG 98 ;). She lost to an in-form red hot Pierce in 2000. Hingis always loses to eventual winners, incredible players at Roland Garros(97 to Majoli, 98 to Seles, 99 to GRaf, 00 to Pierce, 01 to Capriati, 06 to Clijsters), she never loses to scrubs here. Martina is just too damn good on the claycourts for crappy loses. She had Clijsters on the ropes in that first set, but then simply got tired and faultered in that second set. Next year she will have a full year's experience under her belt and have a better seed and be more fit when RG comes around. Roland GArros and the Aussie Open are pretty much the only two slams Hingis will be looked at as a big favorite. USO as well, but to a lesser extent. Hingis can definitely win RG by the time she retires for good.

Reuchlin
Oct 1st, 2006, 05:21 AM
This could certainly add new dimensions to the prize ceremony in Paris.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :tape: :tape:

No.1Hingis
Oct 1st, 2006, 05:29 AM
Facts .. people.. theres always not necesary speculations about, what she said, did or going to do.. Im really dont know why all this scandale.. She will do it? if not, well world is not going to get over, but looks like it will..

Even, she has been shut up mouths all over the year so.. I will wait.. you know.. she will do it again next year on RG.. so.. you will watch it .. remember me..

RenaSlam.
Oct 1st, 2006, 07:11 AM
Well bitch you aren't gonna get it.

Suck it.

dinhd82
Oct 1st, 2006, 08:59 AM

Suck it.

Um okay, you aint gonna stop her so I wouldn't talk...

Martian KC
Oct 1st, 2006, 02:18 PM

Suck it.

YO MAMA!!!!!!!!!!!