PDA

View Full Version : Why so much hate / scorn towards Dechy on this board???

floco
Sep 30th, 2006, 12:17 AM
She's not a power girl but the girl made a GS semi-final, almost beating Davenport, and was ranked No 11 last year. Not many players have achieved that...
OK she's in a slump, so what? Everytime she WINS or LOSES a match, you can read disrespectful comments about her... how losing to her is a shame or how beating her is so easy... I even read she was a "useless" player lately.
HOW ABOUT SOME RESPECT???? I'm sure she'd kick anybody's ass here...

hu2891601
Sep 30th, 2006, 12:20 AM
umm... i like her..

Hayato
Sep 30th, 2006, 12:21 AM
Slump? I wouldn't even say she's in a slump :)

I agree, it's funny how people hate on players and say they are so bad and so on...but they are the one's training for hours and hours and working hard and we're sitting infront of the computer criticising :p

SvetaPleaseWin.
Sep 30th, 2006, 12:22 AM
She's not a power girl but the girl made a GS semi-final, almost beating Davenport, and was ranked No 11 last year. Not many players have achieved that...
OK she's in a slump, so what? Everytime she WINS or LOSES a match, you can read disrespectful comments about her... how losing to her is a shame or how beating her is so easy... I even read she was a "useless" player lately.

i dont dislike her cos shes in a slump-i dont like her cos shes so robotic in her technique and the way she plays
last year she got better results than expected and shes failed to back it up, yes shes better than top 40 but not much

of course she would kick my ass but that really aint the issue

njnetswill
Sep 30th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Her game and demeanor is sort of boring, so it is hard for her to generate excitement from people.

I like her though, I support her unless she is playing one of my favorties. I saw something with her on TTC (No Strings?), and she seemed like a nice person.

Wayn77
Sep 30th, 2006, 12:28 AM
I might I have been a little disrespectful yesterday, in a moment of despair after she beat one of my favs. Seen Dechy a few times at Wimbers, I always enjoy watching her. Suppose over the years she is one of those on the fringes of big things who would go higher up the rankings and never quite did. I like her. Is that fair?

ZAK
Sep 30th, 2006, 12:30 AM
I think her game is pretty nice to watch, actually. Her matches from New Haven a couple years back when she got to the final were great.

LeRoy.
Sep 30th, 2006, 12:31 AM
hate/scorn for Nat ? where ?

Pengwin
Sep 30th, 2006, 12:32 AM
I've never seen Dechy-bashing on this board, I'm sure it exists, but so does bashing of every player.

Lunaris
Sep 30th, 2006, 12:44 AM
I think that people should be more respectful to others in general, not only to tennis players. Better to cheer for our favourites and if critisize then critisize with arguments and without emotions. Often I myself have problems with it, but try to fight. :)

The Daviator
Sep 30th, 2006, 12:58 AM
I'm not familiar with any Dechy-hate here :confused: She's one of my faves :)

WhatTheDeuce
Sep 30th, 2006, 01:09 AM
:weirdo:

MH0861
Sep 30th, 2006, 01:25 AM
Apart from the near debacle that was the AO '05 Semi, I don't mind the Decher one bit.

faboozadoo15
Sep 30th, 2006, 01:25 AM
i notice this as well, and i don't even like nat much. there's not so much respect for her. there's also no blatant hate. it just seems like everyone expects their player to beat her. and when they don't, they make it sound like it was a blown opportunity.

borisy
Sep 30th, 2006, 01:49 AM
Unfortunately, Dechy and Likhovtseva are probably the least respected players who have ever reached top 16.

Tennace
Sep 30th, 2006, 01:57 AM
Unfortunately, Dechy and Likhovtseva are probably the least respected players who have ever reached top 16.
Reading this thread brought Elena to mind. They both deserve a lot more credit than they have gotten. Both made GS SFs in 2005. They are just not in their best form lately, so people pretty much ignore them.

Jelena Jankovic was "ignored" this year up through May, now look at her. Anything can happen, one of these 2 players can win matches any time, maybe not as much lately though as in the past.

Corswandt
Sep 30th, 2006, 02:56 AM
Why so much hate / scorn towards Dechy on this board???

I think it's because she's far from charismatic, had a massively inflated ranking through most of 2005 because of her AO SF, and plays a game that can be a bit annoying. Here's what I typed in on the thread about her match vs Bondarenko:

There's something exasperating about the way Dechy plays (when she's on, needless to say). I think it's the way in which she forces her opponents to constantly take risks while taking very few herself. Dechy's opponents know she will pounce on any short ball, entering the court to hit a winner or at least open an angle that will allow her to take over the point, so they are always tempted to go for bigger shots in an attempt to overpower her - and that is more difficult to do than it seems, given Dechy's good footwork and tactical savvy. But apart from those occasions in which she feels it's safe to attack, Dechy's game is rather conservative, and based on consistency rather than on flashy shotmaking. This makes it seem as if she's being clearly outplayed even when she has the match firmly under control.

Scotso
Sep 30th, 2006, 02:58 AM
I love her :hearts:

fufuqifuqishahah
Sep 30th, 2006, 03:09 AM

I agree, it's funny how people hate on players and say they are so bad and so on...but they are the one's training for hours and hours and working hard and we're sitting infront of the computer criticising :p

she is in a slump.... how can u deny that she isnt lol

hurricanejeanne
Sep 30th, 2006, 03:17 AM
Apart from the near debacle that was the AO '05 Semi, I don't mind the Decher one bit.

Yeah, apart from those 2 1/2 hours where I screaming in tongues at the television at her for playing well and Lindsay for playing like shit, I don't have anything against Nathalie...I'm actually kinda surprised by this thread.

venus_rulez
Sep 30th, 2006, 04:49 AM
Yeah, apart from those 2 1/2 hours where I screaming in tongues at the television at her for playing well and Lindsay for playing like shit, I don't have anything against Nathalie...I'm actually kinda surprised by this thread.

LOL :lol:

Andy.
Sep 30th, 2006, 04:52 AM
I dont think its hate so much i think its just that people dont really care for her, she hasnt got much presonality, she isnt a big star and she is just sort of one of those nothing players. A solid player but thats all she will ver be so its hard to have many fans.

Orion
Sep 30th, 2006, 05:19 AM
There's something exasperating about the way Dechy plays (when she's on, needless to say). I think it's the way in which she forces her opponents to constantly take risks while taking very few herself. Dechy's opponents know she will pounce on any short ball, entering the court to hit a winner or at least open an angle that will allow her to take over the point, so they are always tempted to go for bigger shots in an attempt to overpower her - and that is more difficult to do than it seems, given Dechy's good footwork and tactical savvy. But apart from those occasions in which she feels it's safe to attack, Dechy's game is rather conservative, and based on consistency rather than on flashy shotmaking. This makes it seem as if she's being clearly outplayed even when she has the match firmly under control.

I think that's what makes her fun to watch. It's extremely entertaining to watch younger players without a good grasp of much besides corner to corner power shots get exasperated with an older player playing smart tennis. 15 years ago, she would have been top 10, a lightweight version of ASV.

Apoorv
Sep 30th, 2006, 08:27 AM
i dont think she is hated here. she barely makes to any threads here.

mike/topgun
Sep 30th, 2006, 08:32 AM
I like Nathalie, and I enjoy her gamestyle.I remember when she was struggling with her overhead earlier in her career, same went for the serve...but the last like 3 years she's improved a lot:D
I think that some people here don't like her cos maybe for them she's boring...Well I can't agree with them:p
But where's the hate, I don't know:confused:

Kimster
Sep 30th, 2006, 08:35 AM

She's not a fave but i do respect her. She's someone the top players should always reckon with... I haven't been on this board very long so i can't judge on negative comments.

If there have been negative ones i don't really understand why. She's a quiet, nice, sweet woman with a nice game. Loved the match she played against Daniela at RG this year. Great stuff.

Equipped
Sep 30th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Does anyone actually even discuss (let alone bash) Dechy on this board?

Talula
Sep 30th, 2006, 08:59 AM
I love watching Nathalie play. I don't think she's boring at all. I think she's graceful and elegant. She looked lovely in her little Lacoste dress when she beat Petrified. I loved the white bit and the way it actually looked like a dress. I saw her at Wimbledon too and she has such poise and class. A class act.

But some prefer the histrionics of a certain Maria!

Talula
Sep 30th, 2006, 09:02 AM

It's true! :lol:

Talula
Sep 30th, 2006, 09:03 AM
i dont dislike her cos shes in a slump-i dont like her cos shes so robotic in her technique and the way she plays
last year she got better results than expected and shes failed to back it up, yes shes better than top 40 but not much

of course she would kick my ass but that really aint the issue
And of course the lovely Svetlana is such a bundle of charasmatic fun and charm!

Brαm
Sep 30th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Boring game, no charisma, unattractive... :shrug:

wolfgang
Oct 1st, 2006, 10:15 AM
Boring game, no charisma, unattractive... :shrug:

This post sums up the attitudes that I gather prompted this thread....the general ignorance many 'fans' have of any player outside the few heavily focused on by the media. As someone who has met and spoken with Dechy, and many other players, I can attest she is one of the most friendly, charming and appealing on the tour. However she is not really a Grand Slam contender, does not actively seek media attention, and thus is perceived as boring, etc.

As for whether you like her style of game, that's a matter of taste, as it is with any player. Not everyone likes the same style of game - it would indeed would be boring if everyone played the same. 'Fans' inablity to appreciate this fact is another example of widespread ignorance.

There is indeed some love for Dechy on this board, no doubt about it. But for some reason there does seem to be a number of people who take delight in seeing her lose and love to rub it in when she does.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Oct 1st, 2006, 10:18 AM
I haven't noticed that hate towards Dechy you are talking about.
I simply don't like her game and I don't like watching her but hate in my case is just too big word.

Talula
Oct 1st, 2006, 10:40 AM
This post sums up the attitudes that I gather prompted this thread....the general ignorance many 'fans' have of any player outside the few heavily focused on by the media. As someone who has met and spoken with Dechy, and many other players, I can attest she is one of the most friendly, charming and appealing on the tour. However she is not really a Grand Slam contender, does not actively seek media attention, and thus is perceived as boring, etc.

As for whether you like her style of game, that's a matter of taste, as it is with any player. Not everyone likes the same style of game - it would indeed would be boring if everyone played the same. 'Fans' inablity to appreciate this fact is another example of widespread ignorance.

There is indeed some love for Dechy on this board, no doubt about it. But for some reason there does seem to be a number of people who take delight in seeing her lose and love to rub it in when she does.

Excellent post. Nathalie is indeed charming and graceful. But many people prefer the media whores. Nathalie isn't boring just because she doesn't strip to her bikini for a photo shoot like many other players who have achieved less than her but are worshipped on here - Ivanovich for one.

:inlove:
Oct 1st, 2006, 11:13 AM
I have met Nathalie, and she is funny and charming, but when she is playing a tough match, her face is like steel. You cannot judge someone's personality from when they are playing a match. :shrug:

brytnni
Oct 1st, 2006, 11:16 AM
its because she French

-GenEz.Williams
Oct 1st, 2006, 11:27 AM
dechy is a good player..i like her shots..
DOES ANYONE HATES DECHY IN HERE??

alibaby
Oct 1st, 2006, 01:14 PM
thx.very good statement! :worship: if there were only more posters like you!!yes,its really strange,especially in her case,as shes such a nice girl.apart from that,she was close to the semi-finals,a feat she didnt reach for a long time.so what?she had a good week.it can only get better.

:kiss: :hug: nadi-baby!!

Corswandt
Oct 1st, 2006, 10:54 PM
I think that's what makes her fun to watch. It's extremely entertaining to watch younger players without a good grasp of much besides corner to corner power shots get exasperated with an older player playing smart tennis. 15 years ago, she would have been top 10, a lightweight version of ASV.

ASV? Dunno. Dechy isn't a stereotypical "How did she managed to reach THAT?" retriever. Her attitude by default is defensive, but her defense is based upon fast reflexes and nimble footwork, not running to Court 2 to retrieve a shot. And, even though she only strikes when she sees an opening and feels there's a very good chance for success, she'll do it much more often than your average backboard.

floco
Oct 2nd, 2006, 02:07 AM
thx.very good statement! :worship: if there were only more posters like you!!yes,its really strange,especially in her case,as shes such a nice girl.apart from that,she was close to the semi-finals,a feat she didnt reach for a long time.so what?she had a good week.it can only get better.

:kiss: :hug: nadi-baby!!

well, thanx :wavey:
And to all those who don't see what i'm talking about, please pay better attention next time... Maybe the word "hate" was too strong though. Dechy seems to inspire contempt and indifference on this board and it's even worse.
Thank God I see there are some Dechy lovers as well ;)