PDA

View Full Version : On-Court Tennis Coaching: By the Numbers (Top 20 players)

spiceboy
Sep 30th, 2006, 12:02 AM
How the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour’s top 20 singles players (as of 25 September) reacted to the on-court coaching trial in Montreal and New Haven:

1 Amelie Mauresmo – did not use
2 Justine Henin-Hardenne – did not use
3 Maria Sharapova – did not play in either tournament
4 Svetlana Kuznetsova – used five times in seven matches in Montreal and New Haven
5 Kim Clijsters – did not use
6 Elena Dementieva – did not use

8 Martina Hingis – used five times in five matches in Montreal

12 Lindsay Davenport – used once in four matches in New Haven

15 Ana Ivanovic – did not use
16 Jelena Jankovic – did not use
17 Anna-Lena Groenefeld – used three times in two matches in New Haven

19 Daniela Hantuchova – used eight times in two matches in New Haven

http://www.anaivanovic.com/?lang=en&path=start/news&detailpage=489

Lunaris
Sep 30th, 2006, 12:11 AM
I've seen this before a while. 8 times in 2 matches cannot be correct, that is not even possible. :confused:

Nicolás89
Sep 30th, 2006, 12:13 AM
dani :help:
and didnt work :tape:

SvetaPleaseWin.
Sep 30th, 2006, 12:15 AM
im surprised that hingis used it so often considering shes regarded as perhaps the best on-court thinker
hantuchovas stats are quite amazing :o

Derek.
Sep 30th, 2006, 12:46 AM
Danka. :lol:

You can't really blame her though. :p

Both of those matches were three-setters. ;)

WhatTheDeuce
Sep 30th, 2006, 12:52 AM
LMFAO Daniela.

The Daviator
Sep 30th, 2006, 01:00 AM
Lindsay used it :eek:

Andrew..
Sep 30th, 2006, 01:06 AM
Daniela is clueless on court, so it's not surprising.

hurricanejeanne
Sep 30th, 2006, 01:11 AM
Lindsay must have used it in her opening match in New Haven, because all her other ones were televised and um, I don't remember her calling Adam down at all. Unless I'm missing something... :confused:

Lunaris
Sep 30th, 2006, 01:16 AM
Danka. :lol:

You can't really blame her though. :p
Yes, especially when you consider that she was without any coach in previous us hard-court tournaments. That is something every player would have problems to endure.

alwayshingis
Sep 30th, 2006, 01:21 AM
im surprised that hingis used it so often considering shes regarded as perhaps the best on-court thinker
hantuchovas stats are quite amazing :o

Melanie's always had a positive impact on Martina's attitude, though. That's why I think it particularly helps her.

selesbooz
Sep 30th, 2006, 02:19 AM
Melanie's always had a positive impact on Martina's attitude, though. That's why I think it particularly helps her.

Off Topic, :rolleyes: but i have to say that Melanie has the biggest breast :eek: that i have seen. I almost died laughing when she walked across the court to Martina. How can Martina have such small boobs? And before anyone say it, yes iam a perve :devil: :lol:

Lefty.
Sep 30th, 2006, 02:35 AM
Lindsay must have used it in her opening match in New Haven, because all her other ones were televised and um, I don't remember her calling Adam down at all. Unless I'm missing something... :confused:

I think it was because it wasn't televised that she called her coach down. I remember she told ESPN2 or something that she really didn't want other players to tape the match and if she told her coach that she felt she wasn't hitting her out wide forehands, then if she won, she would get a lot of out wide forehands in her next match. And because it was in English, so lots of other players would understand. (Like some do it in Spanish or Czech or whatever, so many don't understand what they're saying unless they come from that country) Sorry if I may be wrong, but that's how I looked at it.

hurricanejeanne
Sep 30th, 2006, 02:44 AM
I think it was because it wasn't televised that she called her coach down. I remember she told ESPN2 or something that she really didn't want other players to tape the match and if she told her coach that she felt she wasn't hitting her out wide forehands, then if she won, she would get a lot of out wide forehands in her next match. And because it was in English, so lots of other players would understand. (Like some do it in Spanish or Czech or whatever, so many don't understand what they're saying unless they come from that country) Sorry if I may be wrong, but that's how I looked at it.

Yeah I remember ESPN2 talking about that in one of her matches in New Haven. Makes sense when you think of it, it's surprising that Lindsay was one of the few players that voiced that concern.

go hingis
Sep 30th, 2006, 08:40 AM
I can see Martina wanting to see the close calls but she did say a few times she knew the ball was out but she would keep the vocal crowd happy and challange. I think the challanges where more for us fans then the players.

brayster87
Sep 30th, 2006, 08:43 AM
I can see Martina wanting to see the close calls but she did say a few times she knew the ball was out but she would keep the vocal crowd happy and challange. I think the challanges where more for us fans then the players.

LOL...remember i misread the question too?
Anyway you're spot on..... :)

Justine Fan
Sep 30th, 2006, 08:43 AM

This thread is about on-court coaching, not challenges!

I'm having one of those days too! :lol:

go hingis
Sep 30th, 2006, 08:50 AM
lol @ Myself. Thanks brayster87 & Justine Fan.

go hingis
Sep 30th, 2006, 08:53 AM
sure is one of those days, I went to the service station walked in asked the attendant if I needed to bring the box of coke in to pay, he said no, so i paid for the coke and went straight back to the car. I felt pretty stupid when I had to walk back to actually grab the box I paid for. Doh

Justine Fan
Sep 30th, 2006, 08:58 AM
sure is one of those days, I went to the service station walked in asked the attendant if I needed to bring the box of coke in to pay, he said no, so i paid for the coke and went straight back to the car. I felt pretty stupid when I had to walk back to actually grab the box I paid for. Doh
:lol: :lol:

It can only get better :D

brayster87
Sep 30th, 2006, 09:29 AM

:worship: :) :lol:

i continue to find you so funny!

cellophane
Sep 30th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Nadia used coaching in Montreal.

hingis'boyfriend
Sep 30th, 2006, 08:34 PM
How the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour’s top 20 singles players (as of 25 September) reacted to the on-court coaching trial in Montreal and New Haven:

I hate Hingis' big ugly moma. I always cringe and I have to look away when they show her on the TV :help:
I can't believe she produced some fine looking young lady! :drool:

Back to the coaching, I think it was her mum that just strolled onto the court, as oppossed to Hingis wanting to use her, and of course she was too scared to tell her to shift, as she is scary looking! :tape:

Ryan
Sep 30th, 2006, 08:57 PM
I hate Hingis' big ugly moma. I always cringe and I have to look away when they show her on the TV :help:
I can't believe she produced some fine looking young lady! :drool:

Back to the coaching, I think it was her mum that just strolled onto the court, as oppossed to Hingis wanting to use her, and of course she was too scared to tell her to shift, as she is scary looking! :tape:

Uh, no. Hingis called her mother out each time she came on to the court. Hingis was interviewed during Montreal about it, and said something to the effect of, it's here, so why not take advantage of it? I think talking to her mom can give her a calming down, but I like it better when she has to rely on herself.

hingis'boyfriend
Sep 30th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Uh, no. Hingis called her mother out each time she came on to the court. Hingis was interviewed during Montreal about it, and said something to the effect of, it's here, so why not take advantage of it? I think talking to her mom can give her a calming down, but I like it better when she has to rely on herself.

ok then, I stand corrected, although I just wanted to post something, so I just posted the first thing that came into my head! :D

ezekiel
Sep 30th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Ivanovic needs coaching now but she may need a brain surgery soon especially after she said her match against Venus was "high quality" :sad:

slovak-dream
Sep 30th, 2006, 09:07 PM

1 Amelie Mauresmo – did not use
2 Justine Henin-Hardenne – did not use
3 Maria Sharapova – did not play in either tournament
4 Svetlana Kuznetsova – used five times in seven matches in Montreal and New Haven
5 Kim Clijsters – did not use
6 Elena Dementieva – did not use

12 Lindsay Davenport – used once in four matches in New Haven

15 Ana Ivanovic – did not use
16 Jelena Jankovic – did not use
17 Anna-Lena Groenefeld – used three times in two matches in New Haven

19 Daniela Hantuchova – used eight times in two matches in New Haven
http://www.anaivanovic.com/?lang=en&path=start/news&detailpage=489

like others said before, that cannot be. She was w/o coach in Montreal and I doubt she called her mom or someone else oncourt...and she surley didn´t call Angel eight times in 2 matches in New Haven. If I´m right that´s already impossible coz of the rules.
Especially after she said before she don´t lke the oncourt-coaching :unsure:

Neptune
Sep 30th, 2006, 09:13 PM
But in spite of They have don't used it,Who is against and who is ok with this?

croat123
Sep 30th, 2006, 09:14 PM
calling a coach 8 times in 2 matches is possible, especially in 3 setters