PDA

View Full Version : Each Main Draw Player In Stuttgart Will Be Assigned A "Fan Club" of 8 Young Germans

pierce0415
Sep 29th, 2006, 02:59 PM
WTA players to have "fan clubs" in Stuttgart By Susan Seemiller
September 28, 2006

Players and fans will experience something new at the Porsche-Tennis-Grand-Prix in Stuttgart next week. For the first time, organizers of the women's Tier II event have arranged a "fan club" for each player.

As noted on the tournament website (http://www.porsche-tennis.de/prod/pag/tennis.nsf/web/english-tournament_pressreleases_T06_0141_en?OpenDocument&cont=news#pagetop), eight youngsters from the Württemberg Tennis Association will be assigned to each player. The fans will receive free tickets to their player's matches, and will engage the audience by waving banners and cheering loudly for their player. They are encouraged to design unique banners and to make up their own chants.

Each team will remain with its player as long as she is in the event. On the final Sunday, the three most creative teams will receive prizes for their efforts. One lucky team will watch its player chose the ultimate prize, either the $98,500 in prize money or a new Porsche 911 Targa 4S.

The star-studded field includes World No. 1 Amelie Mauresmo of France, Russians Elena Dementieva, Nadine Petrova, Svetlana Kuznetsova, Anastasia Myskina and Dinara Safina, and Serbians Ana Ivanovic and Jelena Jankovic. Although Mauresmo is the favorite, Kuznetsova is on a two-tournament winning streak. She defeated Mauresmo to claim last week's China Open, and prevailed in Bali the week before.

Last year's champion, American Lindsay Davenport, will not participate. Compatriot Venus Williams is scheduled to play, but the wrist injury aggravated during yesterday's match in Luxembourg places her status in doubt.

Russianboy90
Sep 29th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Yes and my club and I are a ''fan club'' of Schiavone!

Ballbasher
Sep 29th, 2006, 03:04 PM
That'll be funny I'll go there for quallies and for Monday or Tuesday

pierce0415
Sep 29th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Yes and my club and I are a ''fan club'' of Schiavone!

did you get to have any say in which player you would be a fan club of :confused:

Russianboy90
Sep 29th, 2006, 03:12 PM
did you get to have any say in which player you would be a fan club of :confused:
no, you get any player! You can't decide!

Craigy
Sep 29th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Lucky :ras:

pierce0415
Sep 29th, 2006, 03:21 PM

:lol: have fun
at least you got a player that may win a match :devil:

Russianboy90
Sep 29th, 2006, 03:25 PM
:lol: have fun
at least you got a player that may win a match :devil:
thx^^! Yes, I hope that she will win some matches! As long as she is in the tournament we can see the matches for free!^^

-sugi-
Sep 29th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Sounds fun :)

Jogi
Sep 29th, 2006, 03:38 PM
cool :)
you better be in the Amelie or Kuze-fanclub :lol:

CooCooCachoo
Sep 29th, 2006, 03:42 PM
What a stupid idea. Give some support to the underdogs.

And they are "assigned".. This means they aren't even real fans. Really lame.

Ellery
Sep 29th, 2006, 03:43 PM

So true :o

Dexter
Sep 29th, 2006, 03:44 PM

And they are "assigned".. This means they aren't even real fans. Really lame.I agree with CCC, the end must be close :tape: :lol:

selesbooz
Sep 29th, 2006, 03:49 PM

What do you mean, each player will have a fan club. This does support the underdog. aleast they will hav someone to root for them. It's a good thing kind of like medival times :lol:

JackFrost
Sep 29th, 2006, 04:17 PM

Well, in that case I would be in trouble. What if you got a player you hate like somewhat and you´re forced to cheer for. Even if she plays against your real favorit. A Nightmare. :)

Russianboy90
Sep 29th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Well, in that case I would be in trouble. What if you got a player you hate like somewhat and you´re forced to cheer for. Even if she plays against your real favorit. A Nightmare. :)
This question I asked me often!!^^!I don't know! I would't cheer for Cesca!!!^^I world be calm and the others of my club would scream!

Ferosh
Sep 29th, 2006, 04:27 PM
As weird as this whole thing sounds, I think it creates a much better atmosphere for the players and the crowd. :shrug:

MinnyGophers
Sep 29th, 2006, 04:53 PM
I dont think it's such a bad idea...
Every player gets their own "fanclub" thus everyone receives support. Also, it exposes those kids to a more personal look atthese players. Finally, it's cute, and should be a nice fan event. It's not really about the players, here, it's about the kids.

Neptune
Sep 29th, 2006, 04:55 PM
I think it's a good idea.That's funny. :)

JackWalker
Sep 29th, 2006, 11:20 PM
i think this is a great idea. i feel bad for the sport though that people are not already doing this without having to be assigned to a player.

GoDominique
Sep 29th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Yup. :lol:

They do this at TMS Hamburg too. I always pity the poor kids that have been assigned to cheer for Kiefer. :sad:

Jogi
Sep 29th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Yup. :lol:

They do this at TMS Hamburg too. I always pity the poor kids that have been assigned to cheer for Kiefer. :sad:
what's with the poor kids that are williams-supporters and the williams withdraw at the last minute again? :sad: :rolleyes:

Brooks.
Sep 29th, 2006, 11:58 PM
no mention of Serena :tape: :confused:

croat123
Sep 30th, 2006, 12:56 AM
:o this is pathetic

Stamp Paid
Sep 30th, 2006, 01:02 AM
I thought S. Williams was playing here.
I guess not.

controlfreak
Sep 30th, 2006, 01:05 AM
Hopefully Vaidisova isn't playing, otherwise some of the kids might end up in therapy.

AJZ.
Sep 30th, 2006, 01:10 AM
What an awesome idea :hearts:

Hayato
Sep 30th, 2006, 01:10 AM
I think it's a good idea....see how it pulls off.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Sep 30th, 2006, 01:14 AM
i think its a good idea but it would have been better if they tried to put fans in their favourite player's "fan club"

Corswandt
Sep 30th, 2006, 04:01 AM

And typically German.

"I order you to have fun! Anyone who isn't visibly enjoying himself will be arrested!"

This is an astonishingly stupid idea. Genuine enthusiasm can't be forced out of people.

drake3781
Sep 30th, 2006, 04:11 AM
I agree it is not genuine so will not be true fan cheering.

But it's not bad because of that.

It's kind of like role-playing, that can lead to real fan cheering both by example and by making cheering acceptable.

And I don't doubt that some of these kids will become real fans of their assigned players.

I can tell you I've been to some tournaments where nobody makes a peep, and at times I've been the only person cheering someone in the entire stands. It seems weird that it should be that way.

I like the idea as long as the cheering sections don't act obnoxious.

Fingon
Sep 30th, 2006, 06:06 AM
I agree it is not genuine so will not be true fan cheering.

But it's not bad because of that.

It's kind of like role-playing, that can lead to real fan cheering both by example and by making cheering acceptable.

And I don't doubt that some of these kids will become real fans of their assigned players.

I can tell you I've been to some tournaments where nobody makes a peep, and at times I've been the only person cheering someone in the entire stands. It seems weird that it should be that way.

I like the idea as long as the cheering sections don't act obnoxious.

they tried to do something similar in Toronto, they were actually a group of people (I guess paid by the tournament) directing the cheering for Canadian players and for some top players (Kim and Justine in 2003). They were totally obnoxious, disgusting and annoying, it sounded really fake and stupid.

I think it's an absolutely idiotic idea, like everything else the wta does.

drake3781
Sep 30th, 2006, 06:39 AM
they tried to do something similar in Toronto, they were actually a group of people (I guess paid by the tournament) directing the cheering for Canadian players and for some top players (Kim and Justine in 2003). They were totally obnoxious, disgusting and annoying, it sounded really fake and stupid.

I think it's an absolutely idiotic idea, like everything else the wta does.

If it is obnoxious, I would hate it.

rrfnpump
Sep 30th, 2006, 08:34 AM
They did that at Stuttgart this year also, its a great idea!

The kids get free entrance as long as "their" player is in the tournament and the player has at least a bit of support. Diego Hartfield was really really happy about that cheering and always looked in the corner of the fanclub when he did a good point. He won his first MD match ever there! Plus, most of the players met with their fanclub and signed autographs and stuff. The qualifiers also got one fanclub for them (Hartfield was a Q in Stuttgart)

For sure, they are not true fans, but through this way kids get to know tennis, they get to know a player (maybe they can become fans afterwards) and the player, especially those who normally play in front of a 10people crowd are happy about that.

And typically German.

"I order you to have fun! Anyone who isn't visibly enjoying himself will be arrested!"

This is an astonishingly stupid idea. Genuine enthusiasm can't be forced out of people.

biggest bullshit I read in a long time.

Brooklyn90
Sep 30th, 2006, 08:39 AM
interesting concept

FrOzon
Sep 30th, 2006, 08:44 AM
And typically German.

Poor comment! Very poor!

go hingis
Sep 30th, 2006, 09:18 AM
One lucky team will watch its player chose the ultimate prize, either the $98,500 in prize money or a new Porsche 911 Targa 4S.

lol, I hope they're giving the kids more than the chance to watch the winner choose which prize they want. Lucky Kids.

Sounds Ok, some lower ranked players might gain new fans. I thought the bit I quoted was funny.

Uranus
Sep 30th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Funny idea!

Too bad you can't choose who you'll be cheering for :o But you get free tickets after all :p

Corswandt
Oct 3rd, 2006, 12:34 AM
biggest bullshit I read in a long time.

Poor comment! Very poor!

Let me guess...you're both German?

And people still ask why do I think there's too much knee-jerk, rah-rah patriotism on this board. It seems one can't say a GD thing in here without having someone rushing to the defense of the vaterland.

drake3781
Oct 3rd, 2006, 01:36 AM
Well.... how is the fan club thing working out?

rrfnpump
Oct 3rd, 2006, 09:42 AM
Let me guess...you're both German?

And people still ask why do I think there's too much knee-jerk, rah-rah patriotism on this board. It seems one can't say a GD thing in here without having someone rushing to the defense of the vaterland.

people who know me here know I am far from being patriotic ;)
I just wanted to let you know that it was bullshit what you wrote ;)

Meteor Shower
Oct 3rd, 2006, 09:52 AM
I like the idea. :yeah:

Most youngsters out there don't really have specific favourite
players and I guess won't really know the person they suppose to
cheer so this can make them more interested about that player in
specific and tennis in general.

If someone is like in this board and cares about tennis
and don't want to watch a match of the player he gets
so he just shouldn't join it!

It can also push the players to succeed more for the youngsters
so why not?