PDA

View Full Version : Who agrees with this: People without nationalistic ties are not to be trusted?

"Sluggy"
Sep 29th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Why shouldn't we root for Americans if you are American, or for German players if we are German, or for Spanish players if you are spanish? What kind of world would we be living in if we didn't support OUR OWN athletes? Or maybe what some people want is for the entire world to shed ALL notions of nationality, race, religions, gender, etc?

Corswandt
Sep 29th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Why shouldn't we root for Americans if you are American, or for German players if we are German, or for Spanish players if you are spanish?

Because it's lame?

Or maybe what some people want is for the entire world to shed ALL notions of nationality, race, religions, gender, etc?

That would probably have spared us from most of the wars of the previous two centuries.

Marcus Jordan
Sep 29th, 2006, 02:36 PM
I don't support countries, I just support the players that I like the most (I like them by instinct, no criteria required). I do this in all sports, just support the player or team I respect the most. I don't see borders, I'm a supporter of Planet Earth. And that is why I have a UN flag.

Martian Willow
Sep 29th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Why shouldn't we root for Americans if you are American, or for German players if we are German, or for Spanish players if you are spanish? What kind of world would we be living in if we didn't support OUR OWN athletes? Or maybe what some people want is for the entire world to shed ALL notions of nationality, race, religions, gender, etc?

Not sure about gender but I could manage without the others. I'm not sure in what sense British players are MY OWN. And anyway, what if you come from a country whose players all suck. Like Britain.

Except Melanie South. Go Mel! Woo!

Kimster
Sep 29th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Let me ask you a question.

If you knew that a player from your country would be a racist pig, for instance, would you still root for him/her?

Blind nationalism stinks! You cannot possibly support someone simply because she has the same nationality as you have. The player's personality should be decisive whether you root for her yes or no.

I'm happy that at least some Austrians didn't support Hitler simply because he was Austrian. I know this example has got nothing to do with tennis or sports but the basic idea is the same.

Andy T
Sep 29th, 2006, 02:41 PM
"Patriotism is the belief that your country is superior to all others because you were born there."
George Bernard Shaw, 1856-1950.

"Sluggy"
Sep 29th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Because it's lame?

lame?

That would probably have spared us from most of the wars of the previous two centuries.

Kind of. I guess if spacemen came to the planet we shouldn't protect the women and children from them? If they look and act like us we should accept them as us, and just turn over the mountain ranges, diamond minds and food factories?

"Sluggy"
Sep 29th, 2006, 02:47 PM
"Patriotism is the belief that your country is superior to all others because you were born there."
George Bernard Shaw, 1856-1950.

So if shaw defined it as such, it is such?

Patriotism for me is more understanding that I come from a place, I belong there, it is my homeland, and that I am of that nation. That means that I am an, for example, American. I know and understand that I am one, and it comes with some duties, obligations and privileges, and it means I am not a, for example, Spaniard. It means being part of a nation of people.

Corswandt
Sep 29th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Blind nationalism stinks! You cannot possibly support someone simply because she has the same nationality as you have. The player's personality should be decisive whether you root for her yes or no.

Carve this in stone and close the thread.

"Sluggy"
Sep 29th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Let me ask you a question.

OK

If you knew that a player from your country would be a racist pig, for instance, would you still root for him/her?

First of all, if they were from my country (the United States of America) they wouldn't be a racist pig. The system catches up with racists and they don't get to be professional tennis players. :)

Blind nationalism stinks!

Who said anything about Blind nationalism? I only spoke about people who have no national ties. i didnt say anything about blind nationalism.

You cannot possibly support someone simply because she has the same nationality as you have. The player's personality should be decisive whether you root for her yes or no.

Not true. You can make 'some' assumptions about people with the same nationality. They have similar knowledge and understanding about our history, they were taught similar things in school, have cultural similarities, etc. You also have understanding as to what challenges that person had in becoming in athlete in their country. There are a lot of things you know about a person based on their nationality.

I'm happy that at least some Austrians didn't support Hitler simply because he was Austrian. I know this example has got nothing to do with tennis or sports but the basic idea is the same.

I don't understand why we have to look at the worst examples of the bad things that nationalism can cause rather than the good things. :confused:

"Sluggy"
Sep 29th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Carve this in stone and close the thread.

It's the admins who make the decions here not you Corswandt.

Kimster
Sep 29th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Not true. You can make 'some' assumptions about people with the same nationality. They have similar knowledge and understanding about our history, they were taught similar things in school, have cultural similarities, etc. You also have understanding as to what challenges that person had in becoming in athlete in their country. There are a lot of things you know about a person based on their nationality.

Thank you for reasoning in a polite manner without calling names. That's cool!

I'll talk for me now because obviously i can't change other people's minds through a tennis board.

I'm a Belgian and most of you know that Belgian has two terrific players : Kim and Justine. Now, as much as i respect Justine's game i hardly ever root for her even though she's a Belgian. Her personality doesn't appeal to me, she's too introvert, she's not likeable enough i guess. If Justine plays Lindsay or Venus or.... i'll root for the ones i named last. So, for me, picking your favorite is not tied to what nationality you share, it's about how you feel about that person.... I do admit i cheer for Justine when she plays Fed Cup so i guess i'm a bit of a nationalist then. Others might call it hypocrite but that is a totally diffirent discussion. :)

BMP
Sep 29th, 2006, 03:34 PM
I don't root for players just because they come from my country. For me the most important is their game and their personalities, not where they come from. But I must admit that although it's perhaps ridiculous, sometimes I support some players because I like countries they come from. For example, I like Italian culture, so I wish all the best to Italian players. I also have warm feelings towards Poland for some personal reasons, so I tend to support players like Marta or Aga ;)

Aaron68
Sep 29th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Although I'm an American, I don't see the point of rooting for players from the US solely because they were born in the same country I was.

I root for Europe in the Ryder Cup in golf because I like more of the players. I root for Russia in Fed Cup because I like more of the players. I root for Sharapova, Clijsters, Hingis, or Lleyton Hewitt, or Marat Safin, etc. because I like them. I don't like, for example, Serena Williams, and so I won't root for her.

But I feel more of an affinity with Europe than I do with the United States, anyways. The few times I have been in Europe (France and Italy), I have felt completely at home. And Canada. But I'm exposed to all things Canadian, as I live just across the river, and have spent significant time there (Quebec City and Ottawa, eg).

Plus, it's not exactly the best time to be an American tennis fan anyway. :)

star
Sep 29th, 2006, 04:10 PM
I root for some players from my country partly because they're from my country. That's not the only reason but I think it's perfectly okay if it's one of them

silverwhite
Sep 29th, 2006, 04:18 PM
You need to re-read the original thread title. It talks about being over-nationalistic. i.e. Going overboard in supporting your own compatriots.

Apoleb
Sep 29th, 2006, 04:30 PM
All nationalism stinks.

Wayn77
Sep 29th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Nationalism does suck. I really couldn't give a shit about the nationality of the players. Quite harmless but rather embarrassing seeing our middle-Englanders every year at Wimbers with all their bunting gettin all orgasmic about Tim. I can understand local people having civic pride in their staging major events.

partbrit
Sep 29th, 2006, 05:02 PM
I am American, but my only American top favorite is Lindsay. I like other American players, especially Venus, but my very top favorites are from other countries. I have never understood nationalism, perhaps because I had a European parent, but reducing the world to what amounts to one big team sport troubles me.

I also think that if I lived in a small country with a strong national character, I might feel more of that type of pride. But the U.S. is so divided and all-encompassing, I just don't feel that way.